A Starry Night

A wish come true

The whole first kiss thing is overrated.

She blames the movies for it; sugar glazing the over-used scenes, manipulating the audiences to think that first kiss shall be magical; surreal and unforgettable. It is not. Her first kiss was awfully awkward, and the only magic she wanted to see was for the floor to crack open and swallow her up. There was no heart throbbing, cloud nine moments; no birds chirping or flowers blooming; her feet stay grounded onto the carpeted floor of ‘his’ messy room and there were neither romantic music nor fireworks on the background. It was simply grey and cold. Worst, the partner in crime sharing the awkward moment with her, was her very own beloved cousin.

In her defense, the whole thing happened out of curiosity, a wild random experiment; but a terrible judgment nonetheless. They were young and stupid. But still, it didn’t make things less awkward for them. Strain their relationship for years to come. Thankfully, after numerous occasions of dodging away from each other path, exchanging obligatory pleasantries, and blatantly ignoring each other presence at every single family events; they finally grow up and things slowly return to normal. Except that Zhoumi’s gay now and Victoria is the only family member who knows about it. Yet, she adores him wholeheartedly.

The kiss with Zhoumi was not only awkward; it was wrong. He was her precious cousin and she loves him like a brother that she never had. And that was the real reason why it went bad. It was taboo. She solemnly swears not to get involve in other sticky situations.

But unfortunately human tend to forget things. The kiss she shared with the younger guy was unspeakable; though technically it was just a peck, it was still wrong. No matter how bad her relationship with Nichkhun had turns out lately, she is still his girlfriend; fall out or not. His proposal was legit. And the fact that she had lost the supposed wedding ring makes thing worst.

As for Kim Jongin aka Kai, the brat is Nichkhun’s student; barely legal. Yet, it did not feel the slightest revolting feeling she expected when their lips touch. The escalated heartbeat, the heat creeping on her cheeks and the tingling sensation on her fingers are undeniable. It feels almost magical… Not that she believes in those hocus pocus thingy.

“You’re awfully quiet” the raspy voice belongs to the guy drenched in his black V-neck tee brings her back to reality. Her eyes slowly travel up from her bare feet towards the guy pouty lips, quietly admiring the sight. Her eyes then wander lower, fixed on the wet fabric clings onto him like a second skin, innocently hinting a well-toned upper body beneath it; the cold droplets soaked his thick, wavy hair and trickled down his neck. He sweeps his hair up, away from his eyes, fingers travel onto his lips, brushing away the cold bites.

‘He’s just a boy’ she silently screams at herself, turning her face away; worries he’ll see her unexplained crimson cheeks. She pulls her legs tighter, curling into a human ball as she snuggles into the jacket, clings the warmth it offers “It is freezing” she quips a dull explanation, staring at her painted toes.

“You should sit in the car. I’ll turn up the heater on” the still water splashes as he makes his way from the centre towards her. After half an hour searching, they finally found the switch to turn off the fountain. It only they could figure out how to drain out the water from the fountain.

Ignoring his suggestions, she swirls herself around towards him and cautiously dips her legs into the cold water. The prickling sensation stings to her bones, her lips trembles as she speaks “It’s my turn now.”

She almost stumble back when a set of cold and firm hands hold her shoulders and press her down almost forcefully onto the green and white mosaic tiles concrete “I’ll find the ring for you.”

“You’ve been soaking wet for far too long. It’s my turn now” though still nervous with the minimal amount of space between them, she shoves his hands away and pushes herself up, stubbornly staring into his clear brown eyes, ordering him to step away.

“It was my fault for startling you” he replies calmly, refusing to step away.

He’s closing the gap as he inches closer, eyes fixed on hers; making her heart doing flips all over again. Victoria wants to punch him hard

Blinking away, she takes a step back only to be halted by the listless cold and wet concrete. She tells herself that she is not trying to get away because she’s scared; she is simply trying to maintain a good distance so he could not hear her deafening heartbeat. ‘Stupid heart’ she curses silently.

Arms raise in an attempt to stop him from invading her space further. But as soon as her fingers touch his wet covered chest, her courage dispersed into thin air. Her face reddens. She instantly pulls her hands back, turning her face away from him with eyes close shut.

Things are moving too damn slow. She finally understand what those silly romance novels she read ages ago meant by ‘time stood still’.

“Hey” she flinches at the ghostly touch of his freezing fingers, brushing her cheeks before curving her jaw and tilts it gently.

Her heart goes crazy as he pulls up the fluffy hood attached to the jacket onto her head, carefully draping it around her burning face, gently hiding her wet hair. “You’re so stubborn” a soft smile graces his pouty lips “But for this once, please do what I said. Allow me to redeem myself” she quivers as Kai kindly tie the strings dangling at the end of the hood into a loose ribbon. Then, his fingers travel low tucking her in, buttoning the undone buttons.

Lips pursed into a straight line as she lowered her head and slowly returns to a seating position, curling her wet legs under her. With a weak voice she asks “Does that means you did approach me with the intention of revenge?”

The soft night breeze fills the gap. The words burn , sending unwanted bitterness.

Her eyes secretly travel onto him, noting a deep frown on his forehead and follows by a loud sigh. He shakes his head and slowly settles next to her. A small gap exists between them, while his legs remain grounded onto the coins covered floor “I love basketball” he begins quietly “And I believe I’m quite good at it.”

Victoria gives a small nod, though her heart sinks lower as he speaks; thinking about all the worst possible scenarios.

“I don’t really give a damn whoever named as captain” the words roll off his tongue, he slowly rocks his body back and forth “But you see, I have a complicated relationship with my father” Victoria noted that his voice gets smaller and smaller.

It doesn’t make any sense. She waits for him to explain further but only the sound of silent nights wraps around them. As she glances over, she sees him the edge of his soaked tee, curling his fingers tightly. Her eyes stray up and see him staring vacantly through the dark park, lips pursed; holding back his words. He seems so vulnerable, suddenly so small. He’s just a boy after all.

The scene reminds her of her own complicated relationship with her parents. Those sleepless nights crying over their fights; those lonely semester holidays she spends by herself, too afraid to return home, too proud to take back her words. She rubs her hands together and blows hot air onto them “I have a complicated relationship with my parents as well” a short pause follows “I’m Chinese. Do you know that?”

He gives a small nod, eyes linger on the neon light ahead of them “He called you Qian.”

She squirms at the mentioned of Nichkhun but quickly shrugs it off “Yes, my real name is Song Qian. I’m the only child to a middle class Chinese couple” another deep sigh follows “You see, boys have always been a preference in a Chinese family. They are the one who are going to carry the family names, the one to ensure the lineage never ends. Just imagine the disappointment I brought to the family the day I was born.”

She sees him opening his mouth to rebuke her statement but she quickly adds in “They tried their best to deal with it. I’ve been given strict trainings since I was small, to toughen me up for the competitive world of men, learning all the tricks to survive. My future has already been laid in front of me from the day I took my first step. I guess, though I can’t be a son to them, I can still carry their dreams.”

“Unfortunately, the moment I tasted freedom, I got greedy. After months trying my best to fit in, exploring the challenges in Business studies, the path that I was decided upon me; I realized I’m not cut for it. I have my horrible grades to prove it. But my parents refused to accept it, forcing me to step up my game” another pause fills in, wrapping her arms around herself, trying to shut the harsh memories away “I endured. But in the end I was simply miserable. The moment I told them that I’ve changed my major, my dad told me that he will not give me a single cent to aid my study.”

“That’s when you started working at the club” he chips in unexpectedly, giving small nods; seems happy to finally connects the dots.

The corner of her lips curl into a small smile “It started just as a weekend job, earning me enough to pay the fee and my monthly expenses. At first, I hated the job. I hated the smell of liquor, mixed with the suffocating smell of cigarette and the sight of drunken men losing their selves for mere attention. I detested the idea of exploiting woman to milk out these hopeless men monies. But as I work there, it’s no longer about the money. The place taught me a lot about life. The men that came into the place were real people with real problems. Problems they need to run away, even for only few hours. And if you are wondering, no, we do not offer ual service to our clients.”

He looks flustered. Droplets from his drenched hair fly all over the place as he shakes his head denying her accusation “It did not cross my mind at all.”

A soft giggles escaped her throats and slowly forming into a smile “Of course” she gives him a playful nudge on his upper arm and a quick mischievous wink.

He fakes a cough and clears his throat, wrapping his arms around his chest “So, does your parent know about your job?” changes the subject for her.

“Hell no!” her outburst turns into soft giggles “I hurt them enough. I’m not going to pour salt onto their wounds” she quickly answers with a over-glazed smile. She then stretches her arms and back as she speaks “It has been two years since my last visit to them. I do keep in touch with my mom from time to time. But reaching out for my father is a bit difficult. My mom told me that he’s not as angry as before, but he needs time to forgive me. I’m okay with it.”

The awkward silence lingers a moment longer before Kai finally speaks up in a low tone “You know, you always touch your nape whenever you’re lying.”

“I do not” her words falter. ‘How could he possibly know that’she bites her lips, silently cursing.

A soft chuckle escapes him. She sees his hands reach out to touch her head. Hesitating halfway, he pulls back and rubs his own nape “You don’t have to act strong all the time” he smiles at her flustered face before adding in “You still look gorgeous with tears streaming down your face.”

The water splashes as she stands up, both hands at her hips, staring down at the brat “What that supposed to mean?”

Instead of replying to her, his musical laughter provokes her further.

But before one of them could react, a loud and sharp whistle blowing heard from behind. They turn their head towards the source almost in perfect unison. Eyes wide open, staring at a heavyset guy clad in presumably a security guard uniform, chasing after them.

“” he jumps out from the fountain, grabbing his shoes. Seeing that she is glued to the ground, he grabs her upper arm “What are you waiting for?”

“Eh?!” she hurries out form the pool of water, grabbing her heels in a swift. Seconds later, a strong grip circled around her wrist pulling her forward onto the red-bricked pathway. “Where are we going?” There is no reply from him. She takes a peek behind her and sees the angry man chasing after them furiously.

She is glad that Kai seems to know the park really well, because she doubts her sense of direction can be helpful in such situation. As they quicken their strides, they reach the quiet main road. The security guard is nowhere to be found “I think we lost him” she speaks between breath, gasping for air as they stop.

Letting go her hand, he raises his high waving in the air “Taxi.”

“Eh! Where are we going?”

“Away” he pulls the door open as soon as the blue and white car stops in front of them “He might be calling for backup.”

“It’s not like we rob a bank” she refuses his logic but as soon as she heard a soft whistle blowing from behind, she jumps in and pulls the door shut urgently “Oh my god. He’s persistent.”

“Let’s stay at your place for a while” he suggests, and then he leans forward giving out the directions to the driver.

“We can’t”

“Why not”

“You kept my handbag in your car remember” she pouts slightly “My keys and everything else are in it.”

“Don’t you have an extra hide somewhere?”

“There’s one” she hesitates for awhile “With Nichkhun.”

Another sigh escapes him. Seconds later he finally nods but instantly pulls out his own wallet. She sneaks a peek. Then he leans forward “Sir, do you accept credit card?”

“I would, but my machine is down” he replies.

Victoria and Kai exchange look. He huffs loudly before changing the destination “Please take us to Cheongdam-dong please.”

 

*****************

“Here you go” the guy in fluffy pink robe with matching slippers quips, paying 55000 won to the driver. The driver counts the notes before giving a nod and quickly dashes off from the driveway. The man with strawberry blond hair wraps his arms around himself, staring at both of them “It’s 1.00 in the morning. You guys are wet” he observes then shakes his head “I don’t want to know.”

“I’ll pay you back” Kai lunged himself around the guy. But the guy quickly shoves him away, telling him not to get his robe wet. “Hyung, this is Victoria” he quickly adds in with a sheepish smile “Victoria, this is Henry-hyung.”

She held her hand out and the guy named Henry takes it “Oh my god. Your hand is freezing.” He snaps his head towards Kai, questioning him with his bunny eyes.

“We had some trouble earlier. Sorry to crash in unannounced at this hour. But we have nowhere to go” he pleads with his eyes, acting cutely all of sudden; a sight Victoria never seen before.

Henry neither replies nor asks further, but he leads them into his house “Welcome to my humble home.”

She can think off other suitable adjectives to describe the minimalistic decorated home, but humble is not one of it. She feels her mood lifted almost instantly as she steps into the rosy white walls, with soft lilac scented fills her nostrils in as she steps further, tailing the two guys. She’s still busy observing the wonderful place when a sleepy woman’s voice echoes from the upper floor. She looks up and sees a lady in flimsy red gown leaning over the rails “Honey, are you coming in.”

“Yes dear” Henry quickly replies “Will join you shortly.” She pouts but obliges, disappears into the room.

“That’s not Yoonhee” Kai blurts out, sounding amuse.

“Oh dear! I didn’t notice that” Henry replies sarcastically, patting the younger guy’s wet head “I’m going in. I’m sure you know where my stuffs are. Make yourself at home.” He reaches for Victoria hands and clasps it tight “Sorry I can’t stay to chat up. Please let Kai know whatever you need.”

“No” she stammers, slightly effected by the host charms “Sorry for troubling you.”

“Jongin, do make some hot drinks for her” he let her go and starts climbing the stairs without further words.

“Hyung, can I borrow your car for a while?”

Henry stops midway and turns around. She expects him to decline such absurd request. But instead the guy named Henry nods “You know where the keys are” and continues climbing. Are rich peoples this generous or stupid?

As soon as Henry’s door shuts, Kai then leads her to the guest room and switches on the light, illuminating the spacious room “I used to stay here a lot” he fills in, striding across the room towards the ceiling high closet with such familiarity. He slides the door open and rummages through it. Minutes later, he returns to her side with a clean tee and sweatpants, topped with a thick baby blue towel “I think this fit you well.”

“Thanks” she takes the pile quietly.

“I’ll change in the other bathroom” he assures her as if he can read her mind “I’ll make you some hot tea once I’m done” he then shuts the door, leaving Victoria to her many questions.

She washes herself and quickly change, worried if the younger guy will make a mess once again. To her surprise, he managed quite well “Hope you like Raspberry flavored tea?”

“Sounds great” she smiles “Have you put your wet clothes in the dryer?”

“No” he hesitates, ruffling his own hair while shyly confesses “I have no idea how the thing work.I thought I’ll just let hyung’s maid sort it out tomorrow.”

“I’m sure I can figure out something” she offers while looking around, wondering whether the mentioned helper staying in “Where’s the laundry room?”

He points to a closed door near the kitchen. But before she could ask further, he disappears. He returned seconds later with his wet clothes, cradle at arm length. She tries her best not to laugh at his overload cuteness, faking a cough instead.

They take almost 10minutes to figure out how the machine works; another 5 to decide where they should enjoy their tea while waiting for their clothes to be ready. In the end, they carry the tray of pot and mugs to the spacious living hall, settling in front of the fake fire place. They had another fight over whether music at 2.30 in the morning is appropriate.  

“The tea is getting cold” he comments after his first sip.

Sitting across him on the huge velvety cushion with feet curls under her “It’s hot enough for me” she sips her tea quietly, enjoying the warmth as the hot liquid running through .

They stay in complete silence, enjoying the little peace and quiet they finally had; until she suddenly breaks into small giggles “You know, I never had this much adrenaline rush in ages. I’ve known you only for a while but you’ve brought so much chaos I felt like I’ve know you for years” Victoria exclaims as she pour herself another cup of the flavored tea.

“I take that as a compliment” the corner of his lips twitched into a smug.

“What else could it be” she gives a lil shrug, cupping the mug with her palms, blowing the liquid to cool.

As she raises her head, their eyes met; challenging. The intense moment only last for 10 seconds before they burst up into merry laughter in sync, tossing away their guard and sense of time. But Victoria quickly returns to her senses “Shuu” she hushes the guy, throwing a small woven ball laying close to her “It’s almost 3 in the morning and I doubt your friend and his partner will be too please to be woken up for the second time.”

“No worries. Henry-hyung will forgive us. Besides, he sleeps like a rock” a soft chuckle released “But the girl doesn’t look too friendly though” he raises his brows “Hyung is such a nice guy. But his taste in woman is horrible. I guess in his line of work, girls throw themselves at him willingly, spoiling his sense.”

“What does he do for a living?” she looks around the spacious room for a sign “Bet he earns a lot. His taste in arts is admirable. There are few rare pieces that to others may seem petty and inexpensive, but a real art lover will know its value.”

“Ahh. I forgot that you major in arts” he gives a playful wink “He’s a composer” Kai explains excitedly, his eyes sparkle as he continues “He wrote this song.”

Her ears perk up, trying to memorize the sweet melody “Sorry, I’m a bit hopeless in this department” she replies with a small smile “By the way, how do you know him? Are you living a double life as a rock star?”

“Damn! There goes my secret” Victoria notices how pretty his pearly whites when he smiles “I know him since I was small. He’s a family friend. To be exact, he’s one of my stepbrother’s best friends” he emptied his mug and pours another.

“Stepbrother?” she asks in a smaller voice; slowly remembering Kai’s earlier statement about his complicated relationship with his father.

“Yes, I have an older stepbrother that I love dearly. He’s everything to me”

She’s not sure how to reply to him. Talking about family has always been awkward.

“I was born out of adultery” he drops the bomb. “A consequence of a mistake I believe they both regret till today. I never knew who my mom is and I have no intention to look for her. All I know is that they struck a deal and everything was hushed. You see, my father was the first in-line for the business empire his parents build. Such scandalous outburst will ruin everything. They did what any filthy rich parents would do, they threw in their monies. My father was granted the full custody and I was brought into the family on the very first day I was born.”

He pauses for few seconds. Staring vacantly at the neatly arrange bookshelves at the other room. Victoria stays quiet, sitting on her hands; holding back. All that she wants to do at that very moment is to pull the guy into her arms and showers him with warm.

“I was raised in privilege; silver spoon and all. The best clothes a shop can offers, the best toys a kid can dreams, the best education one can earns. Not a single day I was treated wrong. But still, I feel like a stranger in my own place I called home; empty. I never felt I belong to the place no matter how much I tried. Because no matter how kind they smile, all that I can see is the dark snicker behind those curled lips. I was a mistake.”

‘I was a mistake’ her heart bleeds, knowing perfectly well what such statement really meant coz she grew up with the same thought, crying at a corner every time she feels she’s not good enough.

“My stepbrother is my only solace. He’s the reason I never run away from home. He’s the one who pulls me up when I’m down, he’s the one who pushes me forward when I refused to move, he’s the one who punches me hard when I was whining. He will kill me if he heard me referring him as a stepbrother.”

The little grin on his face makes her smile. She can really sees how his face lit up, talking about the man he adores.

“Two years ago, he moves out from the main house. He brought me with him. He literally saves me from myself. I don’t know what I’ll do if he left me at the main house” he adds. Then with an exaggerated expression he exclaims “Oh my god. I’m so stupid. I can just bring you to our place instead of travelling all the way here. And Henry-hyung will call my brother tomorrow and tell him all about our misadventure. ! What I’m gonna tell him?”

Victoria let out a small laughter, wondering how the intense looking guy could turns into a cute little boy in mere seconds. A small flying cushion landed on her laps. She looks up and her eyes meet the guys sparkling brown eyes and a frown. She throws back the fluffy pillow and almost hit a porcelain cat decoration at the corner of the fake fire place. Another row of laughter fills the room.

It takes almost 5 minutes before the guy continues “My father is a man of few words. I don’t really know what to say to him, and most of the time the conversations ended up awkwardly” his lips pursed tight. “Our relationship is complicated, dark and twisted. We are tied in blood, yet most of the time I feel like we are merely strangers sharing the same space. But the funny thing is, no matter how hard I tried, I never able to hate him” he ends his words with a sigh “We have nothing in common, leading our life far apart. Yet I crave for his acknowledgement.  

She keeps her lips tight. It is weird how similar his story to hers. She looks up and sees him chewing his lips, struggling with his emotions. She knows it is not easy for him to open up, and the turmoil expressing the deep thoughts into words. She been there “When I was 10 years old, I had my hair chopped. It was so short, I look like a boy. I thought my father would love me more if I become a boy” she knows he is observing her “I was wrong. I was caned and denied dinner, crying myself to sleep.”

He did not utter a single word. But then moves next to her, leaning inches away from each other. Victoria can smell his musky perfume, most probably Henry’s.

“It’s funny how our story seems so similar” he says quietly.

“Bizarre” she adds.

“My father is my school’s alumni. Well, my brother went to the same school as well. Both of them were great athletes during their time. My brother was a star footballer, earning the MVP title in his final year. As for my father, he was the team captain… Basketball” he pauses. Victoria finally understands the story “As I told you earlier that I don’t give a damn about the title. I just thought…if I could be like him, maybe he would…” his words left hanging “I sounds so childish didn’t I?”

She shakes her head “Not at all.”

They stay in complete silence.

He leans closer and rests his head on her shoulder “I was really angry when Nichkhun-ssam announced Kris as captain. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Kris. He’s wonderful teammates, and he did well in each games. I just thought that I’ll be named as captain base on the scores I brought for the team. I thought once I become the captain, I have something in common with my father and it would be easier to talk to him.”

He let out a loud sigh before he continues “I was angry and out of my mind. I was blaming Nichkhun-ssam for no apparent reason. Then I met you” he slowly relaxes, leaning his weight on her arm “He was right, I did thought of using you in my silly scheme. But when our path crossed again after the match, I realized how stupid I was. You were trying so hard to please him, worrying for his sake. I see myself in you.”

Victoria nods, wondering why her heartbeats seem so calm though he’s so close. His mild strawberry scent shampoo makes her smile. She reaches out for a cushion and places it on her laps before easing the guy onto it, gingerly touching his damp hair, caressing it innocently “I guess we are very much alike.”

He snuggles in, wrapping his arms around himself “You smell so nice.”

“It’s the expensive shower gel in the guest room” she jokes, fingers continues playing with his hair.

He closes his eyes shut, shaking his head “You always smell nice.”

She is glad that he could not see her blushing “Thanks.”

"Your ring..." his voice getting smaller and smaller.

"We'll look for it tomorrow. I'm sure it will still be there waiting for us" she has no idea where her conviction come from.

“It is so easy talking to you” he murmurs.

“I feel the same way too” Victoria adds nervously, feeling the tingling sensation around her fingertips.

Then in whisper, he adds “Noona, I really like you. I'm falling for you.”

‘I think I’m falling for you too’ she says silently, watching the younger guy fall asleep.    

 

***************************************

I am soooooo sorry for leaving you guys hanging for so long. The first 3000 words of this chapter was completed in Nov 2013. But I was so busy with back-to-back audits, I was not able to finish it up. Then I was struck with writer's-block.

This chapter is a bit longer than my usual lenght. But I hope it's not too draggy. ENJOY!