Lean on Me

A wish come true

 

“I think we should have a rematch” she quips, pulling her sweaty hair up into a messy bun. A loud yelp escapes a moment later “Ouch. Hey that’s hurt,” she tried to pull her barefoot away from the serious looking guy.

 

Kai’s firm grips hold it tight, securely held her foot on his elevated knee “You sprained your ankle and still talking about a rematch” he scolds, not a hint of amuse traces in his words, a totally different image she’s seeing for the very first time. “I’ve told you that you’re not dressed for this.”

 

She pouts, shifting her weight on the wooden bench, clearly uncomfortable with Kai’s attention towards her, holding and gently caressing her slowly swollen ankle with such a concern look. He chewed his lips, as he falls in deep thoughts.

 

Everything happened so quickly. A minute they were chasing around for the ball, teasing each other at every score; then a moment later she lost her balance trying to snatch the ball from Kai, falling hard on the ground. He rushes to her side, wanting to carry her out off the court, but Victoria refused it, insisting to walk to the nearby bench, silently crying inside.

 

After years working as a host, Victoria hides her emotions well, using her best weapon; a smile. The truth is, she barely able to stand on her feet. But her pride refuses to let the younger guy sees her squirming in excruciating pain, she opts for her usual method, feigning a smile as she lightly jokes about it “It’s nothing. At least the guys will be easy on me tonight.”

 

He suddenly draws his attention from her foot to her face, lips pursed tightly, seems to be angered by her choice of words “You’re not going to work in this.” It sounds more like an order than a statement.

 

“Of course I am” she stubbornly replies, hands wrap around her chest in an act of protest “I’ll just rub some hot oils and I’ll be good as new.” But she winces in pain when Kai removes her foot from his knee.

 

He shakes his head at hearing her answer “You need ice and compression instead” he answers with much gentle note. He then turns around, squatting in front of her “Come, I’ll give you a piggyback.”

 

“Are you out of your mind” her words stammer slightly, feeling the heat creeping under her skin, just like her heartbeat that suddenly goes crazy “This is not some Korean drama.”

 

“Of course not…In Korean drama, the girls are usually very petite and light” he gets to his feet and stares down at her. Then in slow motion, a naughty smirk that been missing since Victoria’s unfortunate fall, appears.

 

“Hey, I’m not that big” she puffs her cheeks, turning her face away from Kai. Not that she is mad at his words; she’s afraid Kai will notice her burning face instead. The troublesome butterflies in her stomach had somehow return.

 

“Of course you’re not” his voice turns softer as he steps closer “So, are you going to hop or my back or not? Or would you prefer a bridal style lift instead?”

 

Victoria snaps her head, staring at him with a frown. He’s joking right? How could he says such thing in such nonchalance tone?

 

“I can walk” she answers, straightening her self as she proudly adds “Thank you very much.” Victoria places both of her palms facing down on the wooden bench and slowly gives it push to lift herself up. As soon as her right foot touches the ground, her body tenses, trying to deal with the pain creeping through her body. She quickly shifts her weight onto her left foot. Then, with all her might, she takes a step forward, chewing her lips to bear the pain “See, I told you I can walk.”

 

The moment she finishes her words, Kai slides his arm around her back, bend down slightly and securely locks his other arm below her knees before lifting her up from the ground with one steady move. She yelps and wiggles to free herself from Kai’s cradle, blushing notoriously “Will you stop moving or both of us will fall flat on the ground.”

 

In reflex, she circles her arms around Kai’s slender neck, sighing softly “This is so embarrassing.” Then with much softer voice, Victoria murmurs “You’ll get your back hurt carrying me like this.”

 

“You’re hurt. You should not worry about petty things” he answers calmly and follows by a tiny smile at the corner of his lips “And for the record, you’re not heavy at all.”

 

They continue their journey in silence, but Victoria swears Kai can hear her deafening heart beat. After few minutes enduring such intimate moments, they reach the parking area. Victoria’s eyes were wary, looking around the empty space. Then her sight fall on a familiar vehicle “Is that…?”

 

“Yes it is” he replies with a loud chuckle even before Victoria could finish her words.

 

“I’ve told you to return the car last night” her voice shoots up in disbelief.

 

“I have. But I’m borrowing it again today” he smiles, slowly putting her down against the car’s door to fish out the keys. Once he opens the door, he tried to lift Victoria once again.

 

But she stiffens her body, clinging to whatever she cold grab “I’m not going in.”

 

“Victoria, this car belongs to my brother. I did ask his permission to use it for the day” he states in a-matter-of-fact tone.

 

Victoria blinks hard at his words. Not because of his revelation that the car belong to his brother, but because he calls her name for the very first time. He doesn't seems to be affected by it as much as Victoria is. Forgetting all together of her pain, she puts her foot down, only to screech in pain, curling into a human ball as she held her ankle close.

 

Kai bend down immediately, scooping her off the ground gently seats her in without another words. He closes the door and rushes to the driver’s seat. Seconds later, he drives away with one place in mind.

 

Few minutes later, Kai parks the car at the basement parking, dedicated for visitors. Turning off the aircond and follows by the ignition; he turns around facing Victoria “Which elevator should we take?”

 

Victoria heaves slightly as she raises her hand pointing at the elevator right in front of them. Thank god I've cleaned the living hall before leaving the house this morning.

 

Kai held his hands out “Give me your keys.”

 

“What for?” she jerks back a bit, staring at the guy expectant look.

 

“It would be easier for me to open the door later” he reason out, waiting for the set of keys to magically appear. With great hesitation she pulls the keys out and places it on his palm. He then steps out from the car and circles it heading to Victoria’s side “Would you prefer a piggy back or a cradle” his voice seems stern but Victoria notice the amusement in it.

 

“Piggyback” she mumbles, eyes staring on the ground. In her whole life, she never rides on anyones back. Not even with Nichkhun.

 

Kai bends down and gently grabs her legs and turns her body facing out. Then he squats down letting his back facing her, waiting for Victoria to lean forward. She hesitates but seeing Kai doesn’t move at all, she slowly inches herself closer, hands slides forward around his broad shoulder, carefully leans her weight on him. He grabs her hands and securely tugs her in by holding her thighs. With a deep push, Kai pulls himself up, carefully balancing Victoria weight with his. He then kicks the door close and locks it “Let’s go.”

 

The elevator door creaks open. Stepping in, Victoria reaches out and presses the button heading to her apartment’s floor, silently praying for the elevator not to stop at any other floor.

 

Luck seems to be on her side as the elevator stops on the 7th floor without any further interruption. Victoria gives out the instruction leading the two of them to her apartment.

 

Though she instructed Kai to leave her on the couch, Kai carries Victoria into her room instead, gently lowers her down onto the bed. Victoria feels her face burning in embarrassment once again, realizing the undone bed, her fluffy blanket lumps at a corner and wet towels lying at the edge of the bed; clearly lacking of the image of a young adult.  

 

“Sorry for the mess. Today was a rush morning” she explains, reaching for the blanket in order to fold it properly.

 

“This is nothing compare to my room” he smiles to assure her. But his words make Victoria’s pride plummets to the ground instead. Then Kai puffs the pillow and instruct Victoria to lie down. He then took another pillow and put it under her swollen foot “This foot need to be elevated. We’ll compress with ice later” he says “Do you have a first aid kit box?”

 

“It’s under the bed” she answers.

 

He instantly bends down and pulls out two boxes. One is the first aid kit and another is her sneakers “You should have wear this today” he announces.

 

“I did but…” she answers but quickly bits her lips to hold back the words.

 

Kai’s brows arch, but decide not to ponder further sensing Victoria’s discomfort about the subject. He pushes the shoe box to its original place and rushes out of the room, leaving Victoria clueless. He returns moments later with a small towel and a bag of ice. He covers her swollen ankle with the small towel and presses the ice on it. After few minutes of compression, he exits the room again before returning with a glass of plain water and two tablets of painkillers “This will lessen the pain” Once she swallows the white pills, she leans back. He adds “Once we finish with the compression, I’ll wrap your ankle”

 

Victoria gives a weak nod “You seem to know a lot.”

 

“I’ve told you that my dream is to be a doctor. If I can’t even do this basic first aid, I’m not qualified to become a doctor” he scoffs arrogantly before chuckling to his own words “My teammates always ended up with sprained ankles after every match we had.”

 

Victoria lips twists into a beautiful smiles “Thanks for today. Let me know how I can repay you for your kindness.”

 

“I’ll think of something” he smiles, pulling the blanket and covers Victoria upper body.

 

 

 

**************

 

She doesn’t remember how long she has dozes off, but she wakes up to a loud cluttering from outside of her room.

 

Staring at the small digital clock at her dressing table, she pulls herself up from the bed almost violently. The covers fell down onto the floor, circles around her bare feet, noting that a white elastic bandage securely wraps her ankle.

 

Another loud sound echoes. With all her strength, she hops forward, putting the weight on her good foot instead. Clinging to the bedroom’s door frame, she peeks out to investigate the source of her disruption “Kai?”

 

“Ah, you are up?” Kai’s voice follows by small footsteps towards her. Wraps in her favorite apron, Kai appears with silver spoon on his hands “I’m making some food for you.”

 

“It sounds more like a war” she replies, trying to see the kitchen from her spot.

 

Kai sheepishly smiles, rubbing his napes nervously “I’m not really good in the kitchen” he confesses with a small smile “My cook would not allow me into his kitchen.”

 

As expected from a rich kid…

 

Then a pungent smell creeps in the air “What’s that smell?”

 

“” Kai rushes to the kitchen, leaving Victoria dumbfounded at her spot.

 

 

***********

 

I can totally picture Kai in such a suave manly image.

Then a moment later flustered cutely .