Listen to your heart

A wish come true

“Thank you sir” she bows to the old man before closing the door. The car breezes away almost immediately, heading to pick up another client, somewhere. She stares at the blue and white painted car until it disappears from her sight, letting out a soft sigh as she turns her heels towards her destination.

Though dressed in simple grey top with detailing lace around the rounded collar and paired with her favorite faded blue jeans, she looks pin-up worthy strutting in her ballerina pumps, turning heads as she walks towards the main gate. Sadly, her lovely bunny eyes are covered with a pair of brown shades, an attempt to hide her puffy eyes caused by the sleepless night

“Morning Sir. I’m here to see Nichkhun-ssi” she greets the guy in navy blue uniform with a warm smile.

The lanky security guard nods “Let me call him and confirm his whereabouts. Please fill this in” he hands her a huge log book with ‘Visitor’ labeled on the front page.

She takes the ball pen and quickly fills the necessary. Her fingers fiddle with the pen while waiting for the guard but she lost the grip and it flies to her feet. Picking up the stationary, a soft smile graces her lips as she stares at her well healed injury, making mental note to properly thank the guy later.

“He said he’ll meet you in the gym” the guy updates, handing her a small visitor tag attached to a pink lanyard. She takes the tag and smile sweetly, taking further steps away from the guy before tossing the identification card into her handbag. She nervously quickens her steps, wary of the privy eye belong to the posh looking students, scrutinizing her.

Walking around the school compound brought so many unwanted memories. High school was never kind to anyone and Victoria who was kinda an oddball from China, had her fair share of dealing with adolescence dramas; bullied by the popular troop, losing her best friend over some silly spat, being outcast by her own team for choosen as team captain, getting the stinky eyes when one of the senior named her his ideal type in a school magazine.

But people do grow up; and she grew up gorgeously.

University years were a mix of crazies, fun and tears. Forced to take up Business Admin Degree in the first year brought her sleepless night simply trying to catch up with the jargon. Things do get better when she finally decided to change major, but her emotional state worsen due to her dispute with her father. Being the only child, she carries a burden to fulfill her parent many ambitions; and majoring in Art History is not one of them. She could not even imagine what will happen to her if they found out about her current career choice.

But she’s always grateful for having such great friends throughout the years. Luna was her housemate and best friend; and she remains as her confidante till now. In her final year, extended final year thanks to the Business Admin stint, she met the debonair Nichkhun. He was everything she wished for a boyfriend, charming, protective, caring and his good looks is not something anyone can disregard, He added colors to her monotone life.

 

“It such a lovely piece isn’t it?”

Victoria slowly turned around towards the source of interruption and saw a dashing guy clad in crisp white shirt tugged under an oxford green vest, paired with dark khakis.

“Yes indeed” she offered a smile before taking a step to her right, allowing the mysterious guy to slip next to her. Both continued staring at the colorful canvass protected by the wooden frame, hung among the other masterpieces by a new artist in town.

“I really do love the hand and the color mix giving it that edgy dimension to the piece” he added smoothly.

Victoria nodded but remained silence.

“And I think the message behind it is brilliant” the guy added as he stepped closer to the artwork.

“I agree” she added in smaller tone before tearing her attention from the frame and added “I lied. Actually, I’m not really good at modern art. I’m just here to support a friend. She’s one of the organizers” she sheepishly answered, pointing at the point Luna was attending the gallery’s guests.

“Me too! I was just quoting whatever written in the pamphlets, and I hope you won’t find out. I’m Nichkhun” the guy extended his hands towards her.

She took it with a smile “I’m Victoria Song. Nice to meet you”

 

Sure they had their lover spat once awhile; all couples do. Nichkhun can be over protective and jealous sometimes. But she already accepted that it is part of his endearing personalities. Well his ‘Cancer’ horoscope says so. And there are times their fights grew out of proportion thanks to her stubborn nature instead. But after the end of the day, they’ll always find ways to patch things up.

She loves him. What else could be the reason they stay together all these years. Then why was it so hard to say it out loud to Luna or Kai?

After a good 15 minutes walking, she finally reached the corridor heading to the gym. The corridor looks completely different from her last visit. But then again, they were too many patrons back then the display cabinets of trophies were unseen. She inches closer to one of the 5ft cabinets when her line of sight caught a small framed picture of boys cheering after a win; Nichkhun was standing right in the middle and Kai was a distance away hugging a teammate.

She continues her way with mix feelings.

The vacant gym looks less intimidating now. She walks straight towards the small white door right at a corner; as instructed by Nichkhun in his texts earlier. A small tag written ‘Coach’ hangs across the wooden door. She took another deep breath before reaching out and gives a few soft knocks.

“Come in” Nichkhun familiar voice calls from inside.

She pushes the door and steps in. A bright smile welcomes her in as Nichkhun walks around his wooden table towards her. Clasping her hands tight, he pulls her towards the sitting area “Welcome to my humble office.”

“It’s lovely” she quips, looking around the white walls busy with frames of certificates and pictures of victorious events.

“Please make yourself comfortable, I’ll go and buy us some soft drinks”

“I’m okay. Please don’t trouble yourself” she quickly tries to stop him.

“It’s okay. The vending machine is not that far” he pats her hand and dashes out from the room.

The awkwardness between them is apparent and she could not help it dreading the moment they need to have ‘that’ talk. To ease the unwanted feeling, she soon busies herself sorting the messy coffee table, rearranging the scattered sport magazines accordingly. Once happy with her work, she moves towards Nichkhun table with the same intention. But soft knocks came from the door, halting her tracks.

Wondering why Nichkhun knocks on his own office, Victoria walks towards the entrance a pull the knob carefully, peeking with curiosity.

“What are you doing here?” the same surprise tone utter in unison by both of them.

“I was called to his office” Kai explains instantly, looking around the small room for his coach “Maybe I should come back later” he says, lowering his head to Victoria before turning around, only to be stopped by the older guy.

“Ah Kai. You’re here” Nichkhun greets with overly bright smile, cuddling 3 cans of drinks.

“Maybe I should come back later?” Kai asks hesitantly, stealing glances at her worried face.

“No, no, no… We’ll be fine” Nichkhun wraps his free arms around the younger guy and stirs him in. He seated Kai on the empty single seat while he slips next to his girlfriend.

Kai looks straight ahead but he’ll glance at her whenever Nichkhun is not looking.

Victoria feels dries up. She has no idea what Nichkhun is up to, but her woman intuition is screaming alert all over the place. She looks at Kai who is clad in white and grey uniform and it finally sinks in, he is indeed still in high school. No matter how cool, charming and suave he was last night; today he’s just another high school senior.

The popping sound from the carbonated can brought her back to the real problem at hand. Nichkhun hands her a can before leaning back, pulling her along as he wraps his arm around her, purposely showing off to his student.

“I believe you know why I call you in”

“Not really” Kai reply softly between seeps.

“I feel that you are distancing yourself. And I think I know why” Nichkhun adds.

Victoria feels the heavy air between the two. She wants out.

“You’re thinking too much” Kai replies, giving a deep sigh at the end of his sentence.

“You know Qian, Kai is one of my best players. He’s quick on his feet and even faster with his hands. He’s a genius on court” Nichkhun explains to her. “He’s our star player everyone loves him to bits.”

Victoria nods, silently agreeing with Nichkhun praises.

“But regretfully I could not make him the Team Captain. Though his game skills are amazing, his moves are sharp, but I feel Kris’s leadership skill is what needed as a Captain” Nichkhun explains to her before slowly moves his attention towards his student “I’ve choose Kris as the captain. And I believe this is the reason you’re pulling away.”

Kai shakes his head “I respect your decision and I do believe Kris makes a better captain. I do not hold any grudge on you.”

“So, you mean we are good?” Nichkhun asks, reaching out for a gentlemen handshake.

Kai takes the offer and gives a smaller nod.

“Ah, I feel so much better now” Nichkhun returns to his earlier position. But somehow it makes Victoria nervous all over again. “You know, when I was your age, I had the same problem with my coach. It’s funny how Karma bites back.”

Both Victoria and Kai remain motionless, waiting for Nichkhun to continue.

“When I was in my final year in high school, I was almost sure my coach will assign me the captaincy. But out of nowhere the other guy made the cut. Can you imagine how humiliated I was” he is staring straight at Kai, challenging him to refute his story. Seeing no reaction from the younger guy, he continues “I was so angry back then; I started to plan my revenge.”

“I’ve never heard this story before” Victoria asks, trying her best to act natural.

“Coz I was so ashamed of myself” a forced laughter escaped his throat.

“What did you do?” Victoria asks; not because she wants to know why, but more of she wants the topic to end soon. She hates the way Nichkhun purposely putting Kai in the spot right in front of an audience; threading such sensitive topic.

“I made a moved on my coach’s girlfriend” Nichkhun answers without a hint of muse. His eyes almost accusing, and Victoria finally understands the earlier alarming note her intuition was trying to tell.

Victoria turns around carefully, trying to read Kai’s expressionless facial, silently hoping he’ll say something. The guy remains silence.

Her heart shattered to pieces.

“But the between me and her was much smaller compare to you and Kai. I think she was still a college student back then. We went out for a while, but it was already destined for doom right from beginning. ” Nichkhun adds with a wink “But of course you’re much gorgeous” he reaches for her hands.

“Nichkhun, I don’t see the point for you to compare your story to the current situation since Kai already stated that he’s perfectly fine with Kris being chosen as captain” she tries her best to maintain her cool, thought her shaky voice kinda betrays her.

“Of course not... I do trust you and I have no reason to suspect Kai doing such thing behind my back” Nichkhun tighten his grips. Then suddenly he turns his attention to his student “You know Kai, I love her so much. I would do anything and I only want the best for her. I have all the confidence that can make her happy if only she let me.”

It is indeed a sweet speech from a lover. She believes in normal circumstance any girls will feel touch by such confession. But to her, words are merely manipulative tools.

“Maybe what you thought the best, is not really the best for her” Kai finally speaks up. His voice clears with conviction, challenging Nichkhun “She’s a strong woman an adult, and she can decide what makes her happy. I don’t think she needs anyone to make her feel whole. She should find that on her own”

Kai’s words makes her heart well-up inside. Him and his child-like wisdom strikes again.  

“Are you saying I should just let her continue working at that dodgy place?”

“Nichkhun” her pitches high and laced with hurt. She pushes herself up and storms out from the room; ignoring her boyfriend’s frantic call. She quickly dashes across the gym. But before she could exit the room, her body jerks to a stop by a strong arm.

“Qian” Nichkhun manages to chase her and pulls her into his embrace. She tries to resist but he is too strong. He held her close, caressing her back as he whispers “I’m sorry Qian. I’m sorry… I just want us to be happy. You deserve to be happy.”

“We’ve change. I’ve change” her voice shaking.

“It’s okay as long as you stay by my side. I love you” he tightens his embrace before slowly letting her go. Then out of sudden, he lower himself and kneelt in front of her. He then pulls out a small velvety box and held it out to her “Victoria… Song Qian… Will you marry me?” he bows low,

A sparkling diamond ring awaits her answer.

But her eyes fixed on the younger guy staring intensely across the gym. They share a quiet moment before he left the gym, leaving her cripples by unwanted emotions.

 

****************************

 

“Thanks for the lift Luna” Victoria says as she steps out.

“Don’t mention it. Besides, you look kinda lost tonight. You better have those vitamin drinks again” she waves at her “And don’t stay in the park too long. You can still get fresh air from your balcony.”

“Will do” a soft smile casts on her lips as she pushes the door close.

It is indeed a tough night for her, attending her clients when her mind and her heart are somewhere else. But after missing so many days, she feels bad to ask for another off night.  

‘I just need some time alone’

The park seems vacant. It must be the chilly whether chasing all the usual lovers away. She walks straight towards the heart of the park, heading to the wishing fountain she promised not to believe in again.

“I have no idea why I am here” she calls out to no one, slowly stepping closer to the lightly illuminated fountain. Standing inches away from it, she slips her hands into her pocket and pulls out the diamond ring. It’s gorgeous and she should be happy receiving it from the man she loves.

“You are not throwing that into the fountain right?” a voice startles her thoughts.

The ring slips off her fingers and fell onto the marble edge. She tries to reach for it but it is too late. It bounces into the fountain.

“”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you” Kai says in an apologetic tone, staring straight at her “I’ll get it back for you.”

“Why do you keep appearing in front of me?” her voice rises high, fill with raw emotions. She has been holding back the tears for hours, she finally loses the battle. “Why you keep on messing with me? What have I done to you?”

“If you think that I’m being friendly towards you just to get back at Nichkhun, you are wrong” Kai inches closer, wanting to hold her.

But Victoria steps away “I can’t tell what is wrong and what is right anymore” her voice quivers. “I don’t know who I should listen to anymore.”

“Then, listen to your heart. What do you really want?”

“I just want to be left alone” she pushes him away. “It hurts me enough dealing with broken relationship. I can’t deal with the thought being used for ulterior motive.”

“You’re wrong” he says in a low tone, shaking his head.

“Just go” she turns opposite way, staring at the lonely fountain, silently wiping her tears away “Please leave me alone.”

And he did… She continues crying her heart out.

Kicking her high-heels off, she jumps into the icy cold water and starts searching for the diamond ring. The cold water wets her ponytail, drenches her black dress like a second skin and stings till her bones. But the hot tears streams as she bend down and palming the base for something other from the flat coins.

As she’s busy looking around for her supposed wedding band, a splash sounds erupts from behind. She turns around and in an instant she’s pulls by a set of strong arms before soft wet lips crushes over hers in an awkward kiss. Their lips touch for mere seconds but it feels like forever. Kai pulls away seconds later. She blinks hard at Kai trembling lips “I’m not some guy who will leave a girl crying alone; especially not a girl that I like.”

He lets her go and mimics her earlier act, bending low in a quest of a treasure hunt.

The tears have stop.

Her heart beats faster.