Sorting things out

A wish come true

 

“Your students were so lively” Victoria moves her long fingers to adjust the air conditions; feeling the chills sipping under her bare skins. She then narrows her eyes and pouts slightly at the thought of a certain student; specifically the one called Kai.

“They are alright” he replies monotonously. Then, after a short pause, he adds “Have you given the idea of moving to Mapo with me a thought?” Nichkhun asks carefully, eyes fixed on the busy road.

The question Victoria dreaded for the past few days have finally popped. She tightens her grips over her colorful clutch, trying to gather as much courage as she could “I did. But I still need more time to think about it.”

Nickhun pulls the car to a stop as the traffic turns red “I really want you to move in with me. We have been together more than 3 years. I really hope you’ll put me as your priority.”

Victoria her lips nervously “It’s not that. I just…” she let the words trail off, not knowing what else to add.

“I have few friends in Mapo and they can help us find a decent job for you” he replies, slowly stepping on the pedal as the light turns green. He then flicks the signal to left, pulling the car into a smaller route heading uphill towards Victoria’s apartment.

She squirms at the mentioned of ‘decent job’ hating the conversation every time he bring it up. But she decides to keep her thoughts to herself this round.  She has always been the oblivious type, a bit careless most of the time. But after years being with the guy, Victoria can read the mood well; and at that very moment, keeping things to herself is the best option to avoid another conflict.

“Well, I do hope you can make your decision soon coz I’ve made up mine” he adds as he stops the car at the building’s lobby. He leans close and pecks her on her pale cheeks.

“You’re not coming up for tea?” she asks for the sake of being courteous, hands slips to her side to unbuckle the seat-belt.

“I would love to but I had a long day with the boys yesterday” he replies sheepishly.

Victoria nods and carefully opens the door and slides out, giving a gentle bow and bid him goodbye “Talk to you later.” She stands still at that very spot till Nickhun’s red car disappears from her sight. “What am I going to do?” she mumbles silently.

She then took out her sparkly pink phone and dials a number she remembers at heart “Oppa, can I fill in for anyone tonight?”

 

*******************

 

It is one of her rare day-off but she decides to exchange it with JiWoo instead; after much pleading to Heenim of course.  He still thinks she should just stay home and avoid making another mess, but finally gives in to Victoria puppy eyes attack.

“I still don’t understand why you need to sacrifice your precious day-off” Luna retorts as she slips into her cobalt blue dress.

Victoria changes into mustard yellow dress with black , hair pulls into a high ponytail “I can’t stay at home by myself. I need to sort my thoughts.”

“You need to get laid” Luna replies sharply, earning herself a flying wooden brush “Hey watch it. I might get hurt.”

Victoria bows as an apology, walks over and picks the tool up “I really don’t know what to do” she says in a low tone, looking troubled.

Sensing her friend genuine anxiety, Luna creeps in and hugs her friend from the back “I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Now, let’s just pretend everything is shiny and rosy. We have customers waiting for our smiles.”

The warmth from Luna’s hugs soothes Victoria’s nerves, lips curls into a bright smile “You’re right.”

The night went on well. At least she has a better control and managed to hold her drink better compare to the other night. Her shift ends earlier than plan as one of the customer had to cancel. She changes into her casual blue jeans, matched over her favorite vintage top; checking her reflection before bidding everyone goodbye, Victoria slips her handbag over her shoulder and walks out.

Usually, if her shift ends early, she’ll take the train back; and she will only hire a cab if it’s really late. Though Nickhun used to pick her up before, but after repeated arguments that follow, she refuses his offer.

“You’re early today?” a voice suddenly interrupts.

She jumps aside, hands move to her chest to stop her throbbing heartbeat “. You scare me” she hisses staring blankly at the now familiar smirking face, leaning comfortably at the wall “What are you doing here? Kids should not be playing in this territory” she purposely thickens her words she said ‘Kids’.

Victoria takes a step back as the smirking face of the younger guy inches closer and closer; closing his gap, purposely invading her personal space.

But it seems the younger guy has his own agenda in leaning in. Victoria who freezes in her track was utterly shocked when Kai start sniffing her “Hmm, it seems you have a better control today. You smell like you were drowning in liquor the other night” Then he takes a step back, returning Victoria’s personal space and add “I guess going to the basket ball was the right decision.”

Victoria quickly gathers herself from the shock and barks back “Stop messing with me. Don’t act as if you know what’s going on.”

But somehow it doesn’t affect the younger guy at all. “I stole a car and thought of taking you for a ride” he states in a matter-of-fact tone.
 

“What?” her voice pitches an octave “You stole a car?” she looks around the parking lot, trying to figure out what to do. Then suddenly she felt cold fingers wraps around her wrist as Kai pulls her forward, dragging her towards the car hiding place “What are you doing?”

He may be younger, but Victoria could not defy the strength he had in him as Kai firmly pulls her further. She wants to scream out for help, but she worries it will leads to other things. And she really doesn’t want to handle the authority at any given time. After few struggling moves, they finally stop at a metallic silver two door car. He pulls a set of keys and presses a button to open the car “We better be quick, before the owner realizes his car is gone.”

“What do you think you are doing?” Victoria pulls her hand away. Kai loosen his grip but not the determination flickers in that mesmerizing brown eyes.

Victoria put up a fight but still ended up in the passenger seat. Kai’s musky perfume sipping in as he hovering inches away from her, trying to put on the seat belt for her. He deliberately touches her shoulder while doing so. Victoria felt her heartbeats going crazy, unsure whether the adrenaline rush kicking in or the presence of a striking guy in navy blue sweater t-shirt and faded jeans the cause of her throbbing chest.
 

Few moments later, there are already on the road, dashing through the night. Kai puts down the roof top, letting the wind caress their faces.

After an awkward moment of silence, Victoria finally opens “We should go back and return the car.”

“I will” he replies nonchalantly, looking very much comfortable in the driver seat. While one hand holding the steering wheel, another hand slips around Victoria’s shoulder. She jerks away, but Kai delicately pulls her hair band off, letting her hair loose “I prefer your hair down.”


Victoria is about to fire again but swallows it as she realizes she’ll be in much trouble if he simply left her at the highway they are entering at that very moment. She'll make him return the car later. Hopefully the owner would not notice that his car went missing “Where are we going?”

“To the beach” Kai replies with a small smile at the corner of his lips, happy seeing Victoria finally giving in.

“At this hour?” she asks almost in shout.

“Why not? I always find the beach calming no matter at what time” he states, driving the car effortlessly.

Victoria purses her lips tight. She loves beaches, and she always wanted to go for a night trip.

They ride in complete silence, enjoying the chill night breeze quietly. The empty road seems so peaceful at night, illuminated by the dancing street lights.

“Why don’t you put some music on?” he suggests, flicking his fingers gracefully.

“I’m not touching anything. And I would suggest you clean your finger prints afterwards” Victoria replies, wrapping her arms around her chest.

Her remarks makes the drives laughing out loud “You’re hilarious” he reaches out for the radio and turns it on, letting a pop song fill in the space.

“I’m just trying to help” she replies with a pout, staring at the dark skies.

“Thank you” he answers with another warm smile.

The conversations pause again but soon interrupted by Victoria blaring ring tone. She quickly scrambles for the devise in her handbag. But as soon as she had it in her hand, Kai snatches it from her “Hey!”

“You don’t need it for now” he let the ringtone dies before he shuts it off and slips it in the small compartment at the car’s door.

Victoria wanted to argue, especially since it was Nickhun on the other line, and the trouble she’ll be in if he found out about the rendezvous; but the need seems to vanish as soon as the sign of the beach appears, noting the distance only 3km away. Her lips hurt from the excessive smiling.

Few minutes later, Kai pulls the car to a halt and announces “Here we are.”

He turns off the ignition and jumps off the car. Victoria slips out from the seat belt and opens the door.

Kai laughter greets her “You know, when people said never to mix reality and expectation, they really know what they are saying.”

“What are you talking about?” she asks, looking absolutely confuse at Kai’s teasing smile.

“Look at the mirror” he said, turning the rear mirror towards Victoria.

“Oh my god” Victoria exclaims at her reflection of unruly hair “It’s your entire fault” she jeers aloud.

“Sorry” Kai laughs again but in instant smoother her hair affectionately.

Though surprise at his closeness that seems so natural, Victoria let Kai has his way.

“There, good as new” he declares few moments later, pulling Victoria out from the car. After he locks the car, he leads Victoria to the seaside, putting his hand on her back, gently pushing her forward “I love the beach. I will go to one whenever I have things to sort out.”

“I love the beach as well” she mumbles under her breath, trying to hide her joy at the sight of dim-lighted seaside. The beach seems to be very quiet with only few young couples strolling hand in hand while some seems busy making out under the moonlight.

They walks side by side, with Kai occasionally will hold his hand out for Victoria to balance herself off. After a good walk, they settle at a bench, sitting next to each other; letting the sound of the waves crashing in soothes their worries away.

“So, are you going to Mapo?” the first question he asks.

Victoria blinks at the question “How did you know about it?”

He leans back, resting comfortably while staring at the beautiful sky “I’ve heard one of the students talk about it.”

“Yeah, he did receive an offer” Victoria replies, finally understands the reason for the trip Kai had carefully planned. Secretly thanking him for his concern.

“So, have you decided to quit your job and join him?” he asks again, eyes slowly moves towards her.

She leans back and stay still, letting the question goes unanswered.

 

 


*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

So sorry for the late update.

Been flailing over Victoria other pair :)

~ENJOY~