A Beautiful Dream

A wish come true

 

“Hey! Where are we going?” Victoria exclaims in panic, eyes widen anxiously as their car passes by another train station “That’s the 3rd station you’ve missed.”

 

The guy gives her a stoic stares “Who said that I’m sending you off at a train station?” He then returns his devoted attention to the route “I’m not an irresponsible guy, letting a girl take a train home by herself. You should give me some credit.”

 

“Excuse me. I’m not a girl; I’m an adult” Victoria pulls the guy’s sleeves in protest, but not strong enough to draw his attention from the empty road; cruising without a strain of urgency. Failing to make a point, Victoria crosses her arms around her chest, warming herself “Besides, if you’re as responsible as you claimed you are, you should return the car immediately.”

 

A lazy smile appears from the corner of his lips, slowly blooms into a full blown smile “Thanks for worrying about me. I’ll be fine” stretching one of his arms, reaching for to reduce the car’s temperature. With a push of a button, the car warms up gradually “Is this better? Sorry I don’t have a jacket on to offer it to you.”

 

Feeling her cheeks redden for no apparent reason, Victoria twists her body away from the guy, her reflection on the window shows a pout, eyes gleams under the lightly illuminated streets “I’m not worried. I just don’t want to get into trouble for stealing a car.”

 

“This is not stealing” he replies whilst both hands firmly grip the leather covered wheels, turning it slowly; steering the car into a smaller route “I’m simply borrowing it for awhile. Once I’m done, I’ll return the car to where I found it. Unscratched…”

 

“What if the owner lodged a report before you return it back?” she asks, voice laced in a wavering tone she tries hard to hide “What if there’s a police car waiting at a corner when you sneak in to return it?”

 

“Life is too short to worry about ‘What if…’” the car gradually slow to a halt, waiting for the traffic light to turn green. He tilts his head towards her, challenging her once again with his childish wisdom.

 

She wants to refute, wants to tell him that the reality is not as easy as he assumes, wants him to acknowledge the hardship of being an adult; but she purses her lips tight instead. Letting his words floats…Another moment of silence filling the gap; letting the sweet jazz songs soothes the awkwardness away.

 

“I used to dream of becoming an art historian” she breaks the silence “Travelling around the world, on a journey fill with colors and adventure; writing about breathtaking story and dap in enchanted scenery” a sad smile plasters on her dry lips.

 

“What happen to that beautiful dream?” he slows down the volume, listening to her, affectionately.

 

“Reality” she answers “Dreams do not pay the rent. My job does.”

 

Another long pause follows.

 

“I want to be a rock star” he announces after few moments of silence.

 

“Really?” she asks in a girly tone, fills with admiration.

 

“Not really” he let out a cute laugh shaking his head as he adds “But I’ll be a doctor, someday.”

 

“Huh?” she exclaims aloud, doubtful “A doctor?”

 

“You’re perfectly fine with me becoming a rock star, but you sound so surprised when I said I want to become a doctor. Why?” he asks with a chuckle, curious.

 

“Well, I just don’t find white suit you that well” she replies with a silly grin.

 

Her answer erupts his laugh “And you call yourself an adult” he teases her.

 

Ignoring his sharp statement, Victoria continues “I can picture you as a professional basketball player though”

 

“I play basketball for fun” he adds; slows the car slightly, letting a lorry overtake them.

 

“I play basketball when I was in high school too. I guess my height was an advantage” she adds with a wink.

 

“Really? Are you any good at it?” he let out a soft chuckle.

 

“I was the team captain” Victoria announces proudly. Then her attention draws to the road heading to her club, reminding her of the stolen car they are cruising in “Do you even know where I live?” she asked, staring at her metallic blue wrist watch: 1:10 am.

 

“Well, I remember where we first met” he answers with a teasing smile “I’m sure it’s not too far from the area.” He knows his way well, not even once asking for direction from her.

 

Victoria’s face changes instantly at the reference of the night that they met; suddenly Nickhun’s face come into the picture “” she swears aloud, sitting up straight in her seat “I need my phone back.”

 

Not a single word comes out from his thin lips, eyes fixed on the road.

 

“Kim Jong In… I need my phone” she says, almost in plead; palm facing up towards the driver.

 

A deep sigh escapes his throat, slowly pulling the small device from the side pocket, mumbling under his breath “I guess we are back into reality.”

 

Victoria blinks at his change of tone, the lines of his frown, and his cold exterior resurface once again. But she knows better than to ponder ahead, taking her phone from him, noting his icy cold fingers “I better call Nichkhun.”

 

“Sure. You don’t have to seek my permission, I’m not your boyfriend” he answers, hiding his bitterness behind the sarcastic remark.

 

“I’m not…” She bits her lips, not wanting to end their night on a bad note. With frown lines on her wide forehead and pouted lips, she turns on the device. Her frown deepens, following the endless message tones bombard her phone “Urgh!” she let out her frustration, reading Nichkhun’s many messages in silence…

 

 

22:30

You did not pick up your phone.

Wanna go out for late supper?

 

 

                                                  ***

 

 

23:00

Vic, are you asleep?

 

 

                                                  ***

 

 

23:25

Where are you? Are you at home?

 

 

                                                  ***

 

23:35

Call me back when you get this.

 

 

 

Then, there is one from Luna; a short, reassuring text messages from her best friend. A tired smile forms on her glossy lips; reminds her of their university years, watching each other’s back.

 

23:40

Nichkhun called, sounds kinda worried.

I’m sure you are alright.

I told him you went to the movie :0

 

 

With great hesitation, she dials the number. The call connected in mere seconds; Nichkhun voice echoes “Where are you? I’ve tried to get you for hours.”

 

“Sorry, my phone was on silence mode” she quickly answers, nervously eyeing the driver, to see his reaction to her white lies. There is none. “I went out to watch a late night movie, but I’m heading home right now.”

 

“With whom?” a question Victoria has expected.

 

her lips nervously, Victoria tucks the strands of hair behind her ears; an act she repeats whenever she is anxious “I went out alone. Just feel like watching a movie.”

 

“Really?” Nichkhun’s doesn’t seem convince, his heavy breath fills in as he pauses for a moment, but he adds seconds later in much softer tone “You should have call me.”

 

Her free hand busy playing with her own hair, another holding the off-white device closely; replying in a quiet voice, a strained whisper “Sorry.” Then she adds in with much clearer voice “If you still want to go out for the late supper, I can meet you half way.”

 

The car gradually slows down. She sees the guy turns his attention to her, eyes vacant without an expression, waiting for a new direction like a devoted driver. Their eyes met for few seconds, but Victoria quickly diverts hers away; a tinge feeling of guilt lingers inside of her.

 

“It’s too late already” Nichkhun replies curtly from the other end.

 

“Sorry” leaning back on the soft leather seat, Victoria let out another dejected sigh. The car accelerates at a faster pace again.

 

“I need to wake up early tomorrow. I have a breakfast appointment to attend” he answers monotonously.

 

She wants to ask further, but her gut feeling telling herself to shut up, holding back the curiosity “Okay then. Have a good weekend then.”

 

“Text me once you’re home” his last words before the line is cut.

 

The confined space feels even smaller when the two let their minds wonder away. Victoria stays in complete silence, unaware of the deep brown orbs staring intensely at her from the rear review mirror “Sorry if I get you in trouble with Nichkhun.”

 

“It has been a tough week for both of us” she replies, staring longingly at the stretch of familiar shops they passes by “But we’ll be fine.”

 

At the sight of the quiet park, the car gradually slows down “We’re here. Which junction should I take now?”

 

“You can drop me off here” she quickly unbuckled her seatbelt, bending down to pick her handbag up, placing it on her laps “I’ll just walk from here.”

 

“You are not” the younger guy stubbornly replies, taking the car for another spin around the quiet park “I told you earlier that I will see you home safely.”

 

“It’s really not far from here. Nothing to fuss about it” she rolls her eyes in reply “Just makes sure to return the car to its rightful owner.”

 

“Well, we can do this the hard way, or my way. I don’t mind doing this till morning” he increases the speed, circling for another round “Or until the police come to pick us up.”

 

“Fine” Victoria reply, holding her hand high and firmly pointed at once of the lonely roads “Take that route and drive till the end.”

 

The younger guy did not argue. He did not reply either, driving into the night quietly, with a victorious smile crafted on his beautiful lips. He pulls the car into a stop 5 minutes later, right in front of the tall building’s entrance “We’re here.”

 

Victoria looks at him and gives him a low bow “Thanks. I really enjoy the beach trip.” She quickly gathers her stuff and opens the door.

 

“Do you know the small basketball court at the east side of the park?” he suddenly asks.

 

“I do” Victoria replies hesitantly, wary of the guy’s unexpected question, one leg already stepping out of the car.

 

“I’ll see you there tomorrow around 9.00am” the guy echoes without a hint of hesitation.

 

“What are you talking about?” Victoria steps out from the car, bending slightly to level their eyes.

 

“Let’s have a match” he answers with a nonchalance tone, but eyes flick with silence excitement.

 

Tucking her handbag close, Victoria straighten her posture and replies bluntly “I’m not interested”

 

“Ahh. You’re scared” the guy his head towards the windscreen, hiding a small smile.

 

“No I am not” she quickly rebuffs, slamming the door with full force, forgetting that it’s someone else’s car.

 

He rolls down the window “It’s okay. It’s normal for you to be scared” he adds “After all, you’re just a girl.”

 

The statement riles her so much; her tone increases a notch “I’m not. I can easily beat you in 5 minutes.”

 

“It’s a date then. See you tomorrow” the car disappears from her sight in mere seconds.

 

She’s been manipulated once again. It’s the very first time she feels so defeated, so hopeless. She still could not understand how the younger guy can cracks her defense and riles up so many emotions in her; effortlessly. One thing for sure, she should stay away from Kim Jong In. It will not be easy, though…

 

******************************************************

ENJOY~