The stranger

A wish come true

Victoria pulls the blanket up, curled into a big fluffy human ball, in an attempt to lessen the blaring sound of her alarm clock. Her last night’s pledges for a morning jog being tossed away as she tightens her grip over the off-white quilt.

Shortly after the room returns to its quiet state, as she about to doze off Victoria once again forced to stay awake; her TVXQ text ringtone fills her room. Kicking the covers off herself, she lazily sits up and groggily reaches out for the white device on the side table; silently cursing the sender who dare to disturb her precious day off.

She peeks at the caller Id and sighs deeply, biting her lips as she scans text.

Wanna have lunch? – Khunnie

 

It has been three days since the incident where Nichkhun left the club in rage. He did call to apologize the next morning, but the two have not brought up the issue ever since, knowing very well they are walking on thin ice.

Victoria is still staring at the phone’s screen when she pulls the blanket covering her face, second guessing herself with the reply. She really would love to stay in bed, having a quiet hassle free day, but at the same time she knows Nichkhun is doing his part to patch things up; and she should be doing hers.

Would love to… It’s my day off – Victoria

 

The reply comes in seconds later.

 

Our Basketball team has a friendly match today.

Would love to have you here, cheering for the team.

I’ll treat you lunch after the game – Khunnie

 

 

She smiles at the thought of Nichkhun screaming at the side line, instructing the boys with his many tactical strategies, in his orange ‘coach cap’. Victoria takes a deep breath as she shoves the blanket away, hanging from the bedside. Then with heavy steps she heads to the shower before she changes her mind again.

*****

The school had transformed into a small carnival with colorful banners and balloons decorating the school yard, white canopies of food stalls lining up orderly; and boys and girls happily parading in their school colors.  It kinda reminds her of her school carnival, just not as grand as this, noting the difference between public and private school.

Being in the school for the very first time, Victoria could not help it feeling overwhelmed with such lavish facilities the school had to offer. Walking carefully following the handful signs directing the crowd towards the school gym; Victoria’s line of sight caught a familiar face on the notice board. She could not hold her giggles when she spotted Nichkhun’s smug face at the very last line of the teacher’s organization chart. But then, her eyes start scanning the chart for the other familiar face.

‘What’s his name again?’ she mumbled to herself, fingers trailing on the thick glass ‘Kim… ‘

Failing to find the mystery guy in the park, Victoria continues her way to the gym.  The gym is huge, but fullhoese nevertheless. The game has already started when she got there, squeezing herself between the crowds looking for an empty seat. Luck was not on her side as Victoria ended at the far end of the corner. She can hardly recognize Nichkhun from that far, but thanks to his bright red jersey and the way him pace at the sideline screaming at the players; she knows that’s her boyfriend.


After the second half break, the score is very close but it seems the Home team is leading the neck to neck match. With 15 minutes to the final buzz, both teams are on their edge, soaring high trying to distance the score. The crowd cheering was deafening and Victoria could not help it but rooting for the home as well.

‘Kai! Kai! Kai!’ the crowd chant.

Victoria has no idea which one is Kai, and with her lousy seating, she could not read the name of the player’s jersey either. But with the frantic crowd recite the name; she joins the madness with high spirit chanting the name again and again.

Then with a minute away, the guy she assumed as Kai, dribbles the ball from half court and jumps as high as he can to shoot the last ball. It was a clean shoot as the ball enter the basket, seconds before the referee blows the whistle, ending the game with a score 39 – 36 won by Gu-Jung Private School.


As soon as the crowd slowly leaves the gym, Victoria eagerly walks down the stairs towards the winning team.  As she creeps behind the guy wearing the jersey with ‘Coach’ written on it, ignoring the curious stares from the team players, she tapped his shoulder “Nichkhun”

He abruptly turns around, startled to see Victoria in her casual wear “Qian. I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Eh, I thought you’ll treat me lunch?” she replies with a pretense pout.

“Yeah, but since you didn’t reply my message, I thought you are still sleeping” he pulls her close but quickly let her go when a massive cheers and cat-calls erupted from the boys.

Victoria smiles shyly and bows to the team before turning her attention back to her boyfriend “Why don’t I treat you instead since your team won the game?”

Then unexpectedly another voice answered behind Nichkhun “Does the offer include the players as well?” Both Victoria and Nichkhun turn in sync and to Victoria astonishment, a familiar face greets her with a haughty smirk. She felt her blood drains out when Nichkhun introduces him.

“Ahh, let me introduce you to our ace, this is Kai” Nichkhun cheerfully introduces the guy, putting his arms around him.

The guy bows to her “Nice to meet you.” Then he turns his attention to Nichkhun “Is she your girlfriend?”

Then the other players join in “Eh?! Really?”

In split seconds all players are on their feet hovering over the two adults with endless questions. Nichkhun looks very proud to have Victoria standing by his side, while Victoria getting paler and paler as her eyes meet the mesmerizing stare of the guy called Kai.

“Now, now, let’s go celebrate our victory first” Nichkhun declares.

*********

“Nichkhun, how did you managed to book the whole restaurant?” Victoria leans closer to be heard with the rowdy players celebrating.

“Oh, the franchise owned by one of the team member’s family. They are sponsoring the whole thing for winning the game” Nichkhun explain while sipping the cold tea. “You see the guy singing in the middle?” Nichkhun pointed at one where three boys singing while arms around each other “That's Tao. It’s his family’s business.”

Nichkhun tried his best to introduce the players to Victoria when unexpectedly Kai and another guy join them at their table “Can we join you guys?”

“Of course. Have a seat” Nichkhun politely offers.

Kai took a seat facing Victoria while the other student sits next to him. Victoria could not stop cursing her luck. She had a hard time to remain a straight face while the guy doesn’t seems to be effected by their unexpected meet-up. Either the guy has such great acting ability or he simply doesn’t remember her. She knows she should be relief if the guy forgot about their short encounter in the park, but somehow she’s unhappy with the thought she’s that easily to be forgotten by the younger guy. 'Maybe because I was in full make-up the last time we met' she thought to herself.

“seonsangnim, you never told us you have a girlfriend” the other guy called Kris whines with a slight pout.

“Really? I thought I mention it once” Nichkhun smiles sheepishly.

“Yeah I think you did mention it once” Kai adds then he turns to Victoria and flashes his winning smile, the same smile before they parted that night “Just never expected you’ll be able to get such a gorgeous girl as your girlfriend.”

“My thought exactly” Kris exclaims before adding “So how did you guys met?” Kris leans closer, ears perked up looking interested.

“Let me guess, in the park at night” Kai suddenly answers and Victoria who was sipping his drinks almost choke it out.

Nichkhun pats on Victoria’s back “Are you okay?”

Victoria gives a weak nod and takes the serviette to clean herself. She tried her best to act aloof but did a mistake when she lifted her head up to check on the younger guy; Kai is smirking devilishly.

“Kai, I never knew you’re into such romantic sappy scenes” Nichkhun teases his student and nudges Victoria who is remain stoic, staring at her own drink. “We met each other during our final year in the university. Victoria was an Art student while I major in Math. Dance and Arts brought us together.”

“Ahh, college sweethearts then” Kris teases before, whistling in amazement.

“Amazing you guys can stay together till now” Kai interrupts, almost accusing.

“It’s not easy, but I bet it’s hard for a playboy like you though” Nichkhun replies curtly, hinting at Kai that he chooses a very sensitive topic.

But the guy doesn’t seem to be affected by such and simply laughed at it. Victoria looks up and stares at Kai and silently noted that his striking good looks are even more noticeable now. The younger guy looks so young but there’s a sense of authority in him that amazes Victoria.

“Arts degree must be really tough. So where do you work now?” Kris asks casually.

Victoria glances at her boyfriend and notices Nichkhun froze at another dangerous topic “Oh I’m working as a receptionist at this moment” she lies, the standard answer Victoria uses often.

Then at the moment the guy called Tao came to their table “Nichkhun seonsangnimi, do you want to order anything else?”

Nichkhun excused himself and follows Tao. Then Kris excuses himself and tailing his teacher leaving Victoria and Kai alone at the table.

Kai didn’t even look up, busying himself with a pair of chopsticks looking uninterested.

Victoria sighs deeply, wondering what to say to lessen the awkwardness between them “You play well today. The whole gym was cheering your name.”

“Thanks. I got lucky today” he answers.

“Are you the team captain?” Victoria tries again.

“Nope. Kris is the captain” Kai gives a mysterious smile Victoria unable to read it.

They end up with another long pause. Victoria mentally making excuses to leave the table when he suddenly spoke to her.

“I’ll be proud if my girlfriend works in such a famous Hostess Club” Kai suddenly breaks the silence.

Victoria felt her heart stops beating, slowly turns her attention to the guy who is resting his chin on his palm looking straight at her. “I thought you didn’t remember” was the only thing Victoria could think of at that moment as she felt herself blushing. ‘Why am I feeling like a high school girl?’

Kai let out another soft chuckle, eyes challenging his prey “How could I forget a gorgeous, tipsy girl trying to drown herself in the fountain, and ended up drinking all my beers.”

Her face flame in embarrassment “In the first place, you are not supposed to be drinking at all. You are still underage” Victoria replies weakly

“So are you saying only adults who want to run away from their problems allow drinking in the park?” Kai questions again with the same intense sparks in his eyes.

“Stop acting as if you knew me” she mumbles, hiding her real emotions "Besides, you lied to me. You said you were a teacher. You even lied about your name" Victoria challenged.

"I did not. Kim Jong In is my birth name, but friends call me Kai… You were the one happily assume I'm a teacher. I just didn't correct you" Kai answers, eyes fixed on Victoria.

Victoria thought of a comeback, but Nichkhun and Kris returned to the table before she could do so. They continue their lunch as if the conversation never took place.

********