A Game of Love

A wish come true

 

She wakes up with such a terrible headache, feeling as if her head had been hammered all night long. Growling in an over dramatized pain; she twisted her body away from the prickling sun rays sneaking in through the half close blinds hurting her eyes. She pulls the pale yellow daisies patterned cover higher, wrapping herself into a soft cocoon, snuggling to the warmth the goose feather blanket offers. Laying flat on her stomach, her sleepy eyes flutters as peeks at the electronic clock next to her lampshade.

 

Half pass 8; she pulls the cover up, hiding her messy bed-hair and puffy eyes under it, cursing her biological clock for the lack of sleep she’s getting. Only then she realizes, her conscience was the real culprit, cornering her with the thoughts of the younger guy; making her tossed and turned all night long.

 

“Urgh” she moans, pulling herself into a fluffy human ball “I’m not going to the park” her voice muffles under the sheet, making a self declaration to no one “I’m going to stay in bed whole day until time for work” chanting to herself.

 

It’s her sound conviction.  It’s her call.

 

It only last for half an hour.

 

The cover falls onto the floor as she jumps from her comfy bed, making a run to the shower. Frightening wails echo in the room as she battles the cold shower. Fifteen minutes later, wrapped in a thick velvety towel, she scans her wardrobe for a sensible outfit for sports; which she’s been too busy to do lately. After a full 10 minutes contemplating, Victoria settles with a matching pinkish top and a three quarter pants. She twists her ponytail up; securely tuck it under the navy blue sport cap.

 

Grabbing her white sneakers under the bed, she jogs to the living hall in her ankle length white socks. The door bell rang while she’s trying to tie the shoelace. In reflect, she turns around searching for the clock ‘But he doesn’t know my address’

 

She pulls the door abruptly, expecting the younger guy smug face, telling her that she’s late.

 

Well, her guess was wrong “Nichkhun” she blinks, trying hard to hide her surprise.

 

“Are you expecting someone else?” he asks without missing a beat.

 

“Of course not” she takes a step back, allowing some space for her boyfriend to enter “I was just surprise seeing you here” she closes the door once Nichkhun inside, making his way towards her messy living room. Victoria quickly grabs the colorful magazines off the floor, stacking it under the small coffee table. Puffing the cushion slightly, she signals Nichkhun to sit “I thought you have a breakfast appointment?”

 

“I lie” Nichkhun replies, settles in the one sitter, staring up and down Victoria’s attire “Are you going out?”

 

Her hand travels to her nape, rubbing it nervously, shifting the weight on her legs while trying to avoid Nichkhun’s eyes “I thought of going for a morning walk”

 

“It is 10 o’clock” neck stretches, trying to get a glimpse of the clock hanging on the wall.

 

“Hmm... But, I’ve put on weight” she tried her best to pull puppy-eyes looks, swaying in the spot for his inspection. From his reaction, it seems to work as Nichkhun pulls her closer, squeezing her hand affectionately.

 

“You’re gorgeous. Stop worrying about petty things” he pipes “Let’s go for breakfast instead. I know this one place famous for their pancakes. It has been awhile since we had our last breakfast date.”

 

At the mentioned of her favorite choice for breakfast, her stomach rumbles. Victoria gives a sheepish smile, pulling her hands from his grip “I’ll go and change.” Her ponytail tumbles down as she pulls off the cap and places it next to a picture frame on the small side table “Do you want any drinks?” she calls from the bedroom.

 

“Nope. I’m good” he replies, the sounds of flipping channels follow.

 

Victoria sits at the edge of her messy bed, the bed sheet silently, trying to understand the regrets she’s feeling at that very moment. Moments later, heaving a sigh, she slips off the sneakers, putting it back into its dedicated shoe box, shoving it under her bed.

 

 

**************

 

 

Dressed in a plain apple green tunic with floral print at the hemlines, Victoria looks younger than her age, glowing beautifully. The bell hang at the door welcomes the two as they trudge through the front door, walking hand in hand. A smartly dressed waiter greets with a warm smile, guiding them towards an empty table near the glass window. The cozy café was half full, patrons from all ages.

 

“Can I have your order” he immediately asks once the two of them seated across each other “Or, do you need more time to go through our menu?” he offers politely.

 

“I’ll have your famous pancakes with maple syrup and butter…And a pot of earl grey” he orders, not even bothering to look up the menu “How about you?”

 

Victoria on the other hand, could not stop flipping the colorful menu “There’s so many to choose from, a mini frown appears on her forehead.

 

“Would you prefer something sweet or savory” the waiter with a silver nametag written ‘Chansung’ asks, bending slightly to assist Victoria with the selection, scanning the menu attentively.

 

“Hmm… Something sweet I guess” she glances up, her full attention directs towards the waiter “What would you recommend”.

 

“How about trying our Buttermilk Dollar Pancake? It is mini size pancakes, covered in fruits and raisins, dressed in maple syrup and topped with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream” he explains animatedly.

 

“That sounds sinfully delicious” Victoria eyes widen in excitement, clapping her hands, unaware of the younger’s man adoration “I’ll have one of those, please.”

 

“Great choice” he nods to the two and takes a step away, a silly smile casted on his handsome face.

 

“He fancies you” Nichkhun first words once the waiter disappears behind the counter, pouting cutely.

 

“Huh” Victoria turns around, blinking hard at Nichkhun’s sudden statement “Who?”

 

“The waiter” Nichkhun replies, tilting his head towards the direction; the pout never left his lips.

 

“Really?” Victoria feigns her excitement, provokes further by acting cute, tossing her hair back “I think he’s cute” earning herself a flying napkin “Hey watch it.” Seeing the pout still intact, Victoria leans closer and winks “You’re the only one who think that all the guys who I interacted with, has a crush on me.”

 

“I can tell just by their body language. Their smile and adoring stares” he replies stubbornly, arms wrapped around his broad chest “I can’t blame them though, you’re gorgeous.”

 

“Now, now… will these flatteries, cost me breakfast for two?” she jokes, mirroring Nichkhun pose.

 

“And lunch” he added, follows by giggles and laughter. They calm down just in time when Chansung returns with the pot of tea for two, giving Victoria another adoration smile before he leaves “See I told you.”

 

Victoria opens to reply but lost her words when an older man clad in polo t-shirt and Dockers appears out of nowhere “Victoria… is that you?”

 

She quickly gets to her feet, bowing to the familiar man; one of her many clients “Byung Hun-ssi”

 

“It’s been awhile. But…Wow, look at you. I barely recognize you” he quips, not even trying to be subtle with his admiration, scanning her up and down. Realizing that she is not alone, he bows to Nichkhun “Oops, sorry, didn’t mean to interrupt.” Turning his attention to Victoria, he adds with another smile before he makes his exit “It’s good to see you.”

 

The moment he left, a dark and heavy air casts on them. The bubbly and jovial mood they shared a moment ago vanishes into thin air. Victoria eats her festive breakfast as if it’s her last meal, shoving the sweet delight down without any expression.

 

 

****************

 

The ride home is even worst. Not a single word escapes his throat, eyes fixed on the road.

 

She hates it. She’s never good at handling silent treatment… When she’s angry, she’ll voice it out, getting it out from her system. She screams, she throws things and she cried. But it’s different with Nichkhun and she just doesn’t know how to handle it. Not even after years together.

 

He pulls the car into a halt right in front of her apartment, waiting silently for her to make a move. Victoria stiffens, contemplating whether just to leave or should she say something. She breaks the silence with a sigh, heaving deeply before she asks “Do you want to come up.”

 

Nichkhun shakes his head, declining.

 

Victoria tries again, hands her dress’s hemline, eyes casts on it “I’m sorry.”

 

“Are you?” he asks, cold. “If you’re really sorry, you would have left that awful job of yours ages ago” he sneers, turning his heads towards Victoria “Do you know the reason why we rarely dates nowadays? It’s because I’m worried we might just bump into one of your many clients. Did you even see how he looks at you?”

 

“He was just being friendly” she replies, her lips trembles as the words escape “What am I suppose to do? Ignore him?”

 

“You should just quit your job or… Let’s just end this” he turns his attention towards the road once again, indicates that the conversation ends here “I hate to do this, but… It’s either me or your job. It’s your call.”

 

He left immediately, leaving Victoria cripples by emotions.

 

She stays at the same spot, battling her own demons. She tries to console herself, reasoning that this not the first time they had a riff. But deep down, Victoria knows this is the worst and Nichkhun means what he said.

 

Spring breezes caress her hot face. The sun is up and bright, Instead of dragging her feet into the comfort of her home, she heads towards the opposite, walking down the maroon bricked pathway. Carefully crossing the road, she makes her way towards the very place that could lessen the burden in her heart, the place she seeks solace, the lonely park.

 

Her lips twist into a bitter smile seeing a couple of young teenagers, standing side by side with closed eyes with hands clasp tight; making a wish at her favourite fountain.

 

“Maybe I should stop making wishes here. It’s not even working” she mumbles to herself, walking pass her favorite spot. She continues walking down the shady pathway, till she reaches the east side of the park, walking towards the small basket ball court. It’s vacant.

 

What am I doing here? Her fingers linger on the metal gate, staring absently at the floor.

 

“You’re late” a voice calls from behind, startling her.

 

“” she curses, turning around towards the source, staring adamantly at the young man clad in a white jersey and matching shorts, holding a basketball “What are you doing here?”

 

“We have a date, remember” he flicks her forehead as if it’s the most natural thing to do “You should treat me to a drink or something. Are you going to play basketball in that?”

 

“It’s already noon” her voice laces in disbelief, feeling her emotions reels once again. Has this guy waited for me all this hours?

 

“You should treat me lunch then” he adds, smirking confidently.

 

She’s a strong woman, an adult… That’s what she kept telling herself again and again. But there she is, standing in front of a boy, with tears cascade down her bare face “Why are you doing this?”

 

The ball rolls down to her feet, follows by a strong arms wraps around her trembling body. A whisper breezes her ear “Isn’t it obvious.”

 

The embrace only lasts for a minute, but it feels like eternity. They shyly steps away from each other, eyes dart away. Victoria wipes her tears away, smiling earnestly “Thank you.” The warm of the hug gives her strength to hold her head up. She still doesn’t know what will happen between her and Nichkhun, or what she needs to do to fix the problem. She’ll figure it out later.

 

“You would not be thanking me when I beat you” Kai declares.

 

“You’re such a brat” Victoria bends down and picks up the ball “We’ll see about that.”

 

“Are you sure you’re dressed for this?” he says, flirtingly lifts her dress a bit.

 

“Hey, ert” she pushes him away “I can beat you even in my 5 inches stiletto.”

 

“Ooo… That sounds ” a devilish smile plasters on his lips.

 

“What do you know about ?” she challenges, tossing the ball towards him as she runs into the court in her fancy sandals.

 

“A lot” he chases after her.

 

Under the bright sun, Victoria and Kai had their match, wraps in their own world. Little that they know; a pair of eyes are burning with jealousy, staring from far.

 

***************

This is currently my fav chapter of this fic. :)