08

Summer Camp 2013

 

I woke up the next morning with this giddy feeling – like I was waiting for something that had made its way today.

But I found myself – seconds later was frowning of the thought today.

Remember, right? Today was the last day of Summer Camp 2013 – which meant I won’t meet that Busan boy anymore.


 

Cheerleaders in the lodge – seniors or trainees woke up especially earlier this morning. Today was the last day of Summer Camp, and of course today was the most nerve-wrecking moment. Our lives as a cheerleader would be decided that day.

I – wasn’t looking forward to this cheerleading event. People said that even we’re not qualified as a cheerleader in the other day of Summer Camp, we would be always in the cheerleader team – but as backups.

I hate to be a backup – I wanted to be the shining one. From I was a kid, I always dreamed to be on top of the pyramid. But it’s only a dream, maybe I would never ever got that chance, seeing how small my chance was.

However, even I forgot about the cheerleader thing, I was quite nervous about Daehyun.

Last night, he told me that he’s going to play as a part of Busan High School’s soccer team this night. He would compete against the other team from other school.


 

We, cheerleader team, was currently jogging around the Summer Camp area. The cold breeze of morning in the summer still managed to make my nose runny.

Other cheerleaders were wearing tank top and training pants, but I was wearing jacket too.

Who the hell in the summer was wearing jacket? I didn’t know though – maybe it’s only me.

As usual, I was jogging on the back, following my seniors and other trainees like a tail. It’s not like I couldn’t jog in the front because I was slow – I chose to be on the back, just like that.

After jogging for several minutes, from the far I saw familiar uniform in the field. Chants from boys were heard, but it didn’t manage to disturb my seniors’ concentration.

“Go back to your sense, trainees! A half round more,” the leader said.

Trainees were silently groaning and whispering to each other – but I only stayed quite.

I squinted my eyes, only to see uniforms of Busan High School’s soccer team was practicing. Like running in zigzag, trying to kick the ball and scored a goal – however I couldn’t notice which one was Daehyun.

He was far from my sight, far from my grasp. If he’s just a meter away, I would always cheer for him.

But the world was saying something difference. We’re different – he’s from Busan and I was from Seoul, two places those who were really far, not easy to be grasped.

“Heeyoung, don’t just staring and drooling over those boys. We could cheer for them later,” one of the seniors scolded me.

“Yes,” I answered back and back to my only activity that morning – jogging.


 

“-Minjee, Aesook, and the last but not the least was Jiyoung,” the seniors called some of the trainees name, asking us to stepped to the front.

“All of those names, we decided to make you as backups. We officially pointed Heeyoung as our new manager,” the leader explained.

She handed the juniors’ official cheerleader uniform, but not to me. I didn’t get anything – poms or uniform. I went home empty handed.

I sighed. I wanted to cry out loud. It’s better to be a backup more than to be a manager. Manager couldn’t do anything like being on top of the pyramid – while back up could if the main star was injured while practicing.

“Heeyoung, it’s okay. It’s actually not a bad job,” one of the trainees called Aesook said.

I couldn’t say anything. No word came out from my throat.

What would Daehyun think about me when he knew that I wasn’t qualified as a cheerleader?

I bet he would be disappointed and didn’t want to be with me again.

He made my life better for a while, but the thought of him hating me was even worse.


 

“Jung Daehyun, OUT,” I heard the coach shouted, signalling Daehyun to out from the field and changed him to the other backup player.

He seemed very exhausted as he kept wiping his sweats and drunk much water.

Even though the cheerleader team was already divided into two – cheering for Busan High School and their opponent, Busan High School was losing 4:10.

I didn’t know why, especially Daehyun. He seemed so off today. This morning, I saw he was practicing very hard, very focused, but how in the world he could let his guard off.

This morning, he was the one who made his own team was losing – while in the first day, he was the one who made his own team won.

I seriously couldn’t understand, the cheerleader team for Busan High School was prettier and much more than the one which was cheering for their opponent.

As I kept wondering, our eyes met. His eyes were flashing how disappointed he was, like he was disappointing in me, like he was blaming me for his game today – he was begging me to fix him.

I didn’t know how, I didn’t know why. Why me, why from all of the girls in Seoul High School’s cheerleader team, it must be me?

Daehyun, don’t make me feel this wrong.


 

In the last second, one of the players from Busan High School sprained his ankle – made the coach decided to replace him with Daehyun.

Number ten was back on the field. But once again, it’s not the number ten that I saw on the first day.

“He looks so off today,” one of cheerleaders those were cheering for Busan High School’s soccer team commented.

I silently nodded to her comment.

I sighed, I had made my mind. I clenched my fists as I was holding poms. I raised both of my hands and shouted Daehyun’s name.

Even though I wasn’t a cheerleader – it’s the best way to make Daehyun felt better, wasn’t it?