05

Summer Camp 2013

That night, we practiced together. Jogging around the field, push ups, sit ups, and many more.

Being together, made time flew faster, made me felt stronger.

---

I stretched my arms and legs, following the boy number ten who did the same too. Both of us were determined – especially me – to be a senior in our own team. We didn’t need to be the captain, just a senior – qualified as a great cheerleader or soccer player.

“We should jog around the field around ten times, okay?” the boy explained.

I shook my head and put an ‘X’ in front of my chest. “Five times, please?”

He smiled genuinely and ruffled my hair, “Because you’re a girl”

With that, both of us started to jog around the field. Clearly, the boy could jog faster than me, instead he was jogging slowly, keeping his pace as slow as mine.

“I don’t realize that I haven’t known your name, water girl,” he said suddenly.

I nodded. I always called him with ‘the boy number ten’ or ‘the boy with grey hair’ instead of his name.

“My name is Jung Daehyun, came from Busan High School. I’m one of the best junior in Busan’s soccer team,” he introduced himself.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, “Much confidence you have.”

“Yours”

“Kim Heeyoung, the worst junior in Seoul High School’s cheerleader team.”

He raised an eyebrow, “Worst? I bet you’re not that bad”

I rolled my eyes once more time, “You never know”

---

The next thing we did was sit up. The first try was me helping Daehyun with his sit ups, since he had more energy left than me.

Believe it or not, but Daehyun was as exhausted as me – when he’s jogging around the field for twice more than mine.

I held his calves and hugged them tightly close to my chest as he positioned himself, lying on the field with hands on his head.

“Challenging 50 sit ups,” he said and I nodded.

“One,” I counted.

I kept counting how many sit ups had he done. He seriously looked really cool when he’s doing sit ups. Even though he’s sweating, grunting to sit up and then threw himself on the ground several times – he never stopped.

I saw will in his eyes – his passion was burning. I couldn’t see it, but I could see it.

“44,” I counted, without knowing he already reached his 40s.

“Kim Heeyoung,” he called my name, panting.

“45,”

“I hope-“

“46”

“- you can be-“

“47”

“- the best cheerleader-“

“48”

“-because the best-

“49”

“-soccer player has-“

“50,” I counted and immediately released his calves which I had hugged them for minutes.

“-the best cheerleader”

I stared at him who was panting, trying to catch his breath – eyes widened, jaw was hanging.

---

He – was running on the field, in zigzag, together with his soccer ball which was moving like a fluid with his legs. I stared at him, watching him in admiration. He had the soccer ball went under his spell, letting his legs did all the work to control it.

Couldn’t help though, to think about his sentence before. His sentence made my passion was burning. He my spirit and I immediately did what I must do.

“F-I-G-H-T,” I shouted, “JUNG DAEHYUN”

He turned his head for a second and gave me a thumb up and a big smile.

I stood up from my place and clenched my fist like I was holding poms.

“F-I-G-H-T,” I shouted, or more to a cheer. Throwing my hands and legs just like what I had learnt before.

“JUNG DAEHYUN,” I shouted as I jumped on my spot, more look like to a fangirl.

To be Daehyun’s cheerleader – shouldn’t I had to be the best cheerleader first?

---

Throwing my left arm to the left, and then my right arm to the right, next was followed by throwing my leg to the front, as high as I could.

“One, two, three,” I counted my own moves.

I kept repeating the moves for almost minutes reaching to an hour. Currently, Daehyun was taking a break, watching me who was practicing the new cheerleading move. His eyes made me felt a little bit uncomfortable.

However, I didn’t want to do anything bad in front of Daehyun.

“Four, five, six,” I counted once more time.

I got the move wrong, once more again.

I sighed and stomped my feet on the ground, jumping like an angry child. I threw my fist to the ground – throwing the imaginary poms in my hands. I walked sulkily toward Daehyun and lied next to him who was sitting.

“Water girl needs water,” he said and then gave me a bottle of cold water.

“Thanks,” I muttered and opened the bottle’s cap. I drank it like there’s no tomorrow.

He then chuckled, “Water girl, you really need to be slow”

“Stop calling me ‘water girl’,” I sighed, “My name is Kim Heeyoung, you know it”

He gave me an eye smile – which was very handsome of his. “However, I love to call you ‘water girl’,” he said and patted my head.

His hand felt really nice on top of my head. Having a boy patted my head was one of my dream. I really hoped that my boyfriend would do that for me in the future.

However, I couldn’t get a boyfriend easily if I wasn’t in the cheerleader team.

“You’re doing really great,” he complimented, kept patting my head like I was his pet.

“Nope, I got the move wrong again”

“Practice makes perfect, though”

I shook my head, “We should go back to our lodge, I’m sure that my seniors are searching for me”

With that, Daehyun stood up first and offered his hand, helping me to stand up from my position.

Both of us walking toward our own lodge – joking around and walking closer than before.