02

Summer Camp 2013

 

It’s still the first day, maybe I gave up too early.

There were still another nights and days in front of my eyes, I could still learn and practice more.

---

People know how girls spends their time in the night – eating midnight snack, watching TV, talking about another people or goes by word called ‘gossip’.

In this big lodge that’s used by the cheerleader team for Summer Camp, females were doing the things those we listed together.

I, of course as the most unsociable girl in the cheerleader only watched the TV. I wasn’t that unsociable, but I was just an introvert girl – I preferred to stay quite if I was with a stranger.

I was quite jealous with other trainees. They’re all talking like they’re seniors’ friends in this lodge. But of course, they behaved quite well outside the lodge. As an introvert girl, I just easily put a line between my relation with the seniors – made me have no friend in this team.

Boys, please pity me.

I just wanted to sleep, to recharge myself for the next day’s activities.

“Heeyoung-ah, can you buy us ice creams?” one of the senior asked me. I sighed and stood up by perforce since she’s one of the seniors. I must behave nicely.

“What all of you want?” I asked and opened note on my phone.

---

I walked out from the lodge, together with the money that the trainees and seniors had given to me.

Lazily, I walked toward the closest minimarket in this camp.

Stuffing my hands into my pants’ pockets, I sighed and puffed my cheeks.

I was a cheerleader – not a slave.

---

“Ten chocolate, two green tea, one choco chips, twelve strawberry, one mango, one vanilla,” the cashier noted down all of the ice creams those I already took from the freezer before.

The cashier told me the price and I took out the money from my pocket. From my peripheral view, I saw someone snatched one of the ice cream. I heard the package was ripped.

“I’ll buy this one,” he said, made me turn around to see a boy with dirty grey hair.

He’s number ten from Busan High School.

What was he doing here? The most important one, why was he taking the ice cream that I wanted to buy? It’s chocolate flavor – the most delicious flavor for me.

“But it’s mine,” I said with courage. But of course, I was so shy in front of him, so it came out in a whisper. Besides, he already bit the ice cream. Of course, I won’t accept the ice cream anymore.

“Pardon?” he raised an eyebrow at me.

“Nothing,” I shook my head and handed the cashier enough amount of money.

“Do you have another ice cream like that?” I asked the cashier timidly, pointing the ice cream that the boy number ten held.

The cashier gave me an apologetic smile and said, “I’m sorry, but it’s the last one”

I sighed and took two plastic bags full of ice creams that I’ve bought for my seniors and friends. They’re quite heavy, seriously.

I walked out from the market with deflated shoulder, leaving the boy number ten in the market together with his ice cream. Oh my chocolate ice cream.

---

“Hey,” someone shouted from my back. I heard his fast footsteps too, heard like he’s running. I didn’t know who he was calling, so I decided to not turning my head.

“Hey, girl. Are you angry at me?” he asked as he was now standing right beside me.

I stopped for a second and faced the stranger. It’s the boy number ten.

I bit my lips and shook my head. And then, I walked again toward my lodge.

“Are you? If yes, you can have this ice cream,” he said as he showed the already bitten chocolate ice cream.

I sheepishly smiled and shook my head once again.

“It’s quite nice though,” he muttered and then bit the ice cream again.

I sighed, he’s sure won’t give the ice cream if I didn’t mad at him. But seriously, I wasn’t mad at all with him, since he paid his own ice cream. But I couldn’t help but to think that he’s such a jerk for taking ice cream from a girl.

We’re walking side by side in the night. With he was eating his chocolate ice cream, while I was bringing two heavy plastic bags, full of ice creams.

“It’s my lodge, anyway,” he suddenly told me, pointing a lodge. There’s a board hung on the door, ‘Busan High School – Soccer Team” was written on it.

So that’s where he was staying for a week.

“Where’s yours?” he asked.

“Not too far,” I answered timidly.

He flashed his smile, “You’re Seoul High School’s cheerleader team, right?”

I smiled at him and nodded my head.

“Ah, you’re their water girl?” he asked once more time, made my smile dropped.

However, I still manage to flash my smile for him and shook my head.

“Won’t you ask something to me?” he asked.

Conceited so much.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“I train myself if I’ve time. Since I’ve time to spare, I decided to practice my technique. However, I saw you and decided to not practice for tonight,” he said.

Sweet so much, made me smiled awkwardly. He’s walking with me because he saw me.

“We’re here,” I said.

“Oh,” he muttered. “Goodbye?” he said, but heard like he’s asking me.

I gave him a bow, a thank you for walking me to my team’s lodge. “Goodbye,” I bid him a goodbye too and walked into the lodge.

---

Midnight soon came. In the end, I was the only one who didn’t get an ice cream. However, it’s a pleasant memory that a handsome boy was actually walking me in the night.

Even though we’re only talking for a moment, I hoped that I could see him in the other night.

You could say that I had this small crush on him – from the first sight.