01

Summer Camp 2013

Four days of Summer Camp on 2013 were days those I liked the most. I still remembered those four days in Summer Camp – I felt both heaven and hell, both up and down.

Summer Camp is actually held by Seoul High School for its main soccer team, basketball team, baseball team, and cheerleader team. The participants were from the first grade, with some seniors as the teachers or leaders.

They’re here to practice more about soccer, basketball, baseball, or cheerleader. Trained harshly, so they could be a better generation.

I was here because I joined cheerleader team.

To be here, it’s really hard. We’re selected from an ocean of female students those who want the spot of the top of pyramid – I was one of them.

However, I was just one lucky girl. I was blind of beats, my moves weren’t as great as the other cheerleaders – to be exact, like a fluid.

I was the least from the least. I was the worst from the worst.

---

Just like another Summer Camp that was held by my school. But this year was kind of different. But from Seoul High School, there’s only cheerleader team on the location of the Summer Camp 2013.

I wasn’t looking forward this year’s Summer Camp. Seniors were telling me that I was really impossible to be one of the cheerleaders – even to get the easiest or the lowest position in cheerleader.

It kind of hurt me. Before going to the Summer Camp, my mind was battling – whether to still join it or not.

However, the leader of the current cheerleader team managed to convince me.

So, here was I – sitting on the bus, the most front seat in the bus, with bags full of bottles, towels, and cheerleader uniforms beside me.

---

I lazily stepped out from the bus. The leader told me to bring two bags – one was full of bottles and the other one was full with towels.

Of course I accepted it. It’s a command from the leader. Maybe with this, I could get her acknowledge that at least I was quite worthwhile.

“Oh my! There’s a soccer team from Busan High School!!” one of the seniors shouted as she ran toward the soccer field.

The juniors or they usually called them with ‘trainees’, of course followed their seniors obediently.

“Who is their opponent?” I asked Nana – one of the trainees.

“I don’t know, I think Daegu High School?” she answered, not quite sure.

“I heard, Busan has many handsome boys. I think people are right!!”

“Busan High School’s boys aren’t just handsome, but great in sport”

“I hope boys in our school can be like them”

I heard many things about Busan High School’s boys from my seniors and trainees – since they kept talking about them as they watched them playing.

“Look at number 10! Oh my, he’s so handsome, he’s a good player too,” I heard someone said.

My eyes automatically diverted toward the boy from Busan High School with ‘10’ as the number on his back.

Dirty grey hair of his was shining below the sunlight. His skin was slightly tanned. However, his facial feature was perfect. He’s godly perfect. I couldn’t help but to be quite flabbergasted too – from how he perfectly played with the soccer ball.

“Girls, take your poms!!” the leader demanded.

Automatically, all of the trainees – including some of the seniors took out their poms out from the bag. With slow reflex, I hesitantly took the last pair of poms.

“1, 2, 3 Busan High School” they shouted in sync.

Of course, as the least from the least, worst from the worst, I lost my beat once more time. It happened not only once or twice, but unfortunately every time.

However, I didn’t know why, why the leader decided to accept me. People said that I was just lucky – I must admit it, it’s true.

“Heeyoung, you lose your beat once again. You’re late one beat now,” one of the seniors shouted at me.

Eyes were now on me – from other seniors, trainees, and in the end was the leader. They looked at me like I was rubbish, they looked down at me. I could see the leader was shaking her head.

The boys from soccer teams those were on the field were snickering at me. I could feel that their stares were boring my back, my ears felt hot like they’re talking behind me.

I kept my head down – this was why I didn’t want to go to the Summer Camp. I felt like I want to resign from cheerleading.

---

“You’re doing really great, Jung Daehyun,” Daehyun’s senior told him as he threw Daehyun a bottle of water.

Daehyun gulped it in thirsty and smiles. “It’s nothing”

“As a trainee, I could see that you’re particularly shining between the other players. You’re as good as the seniors,” the senior kept complementing Daehyun.

Daehyun could only smile and laugh awkwardly at his compliments, kept saying thanks to him.

“By the way, the cheerleader team from Seoul High School is already here,” the senior told Daehyun.

Daehyun smiled awkwardly, “I’m not searching a girl right now.”

“Come on, they’re really pretty. See there?” the senior asked as he pointed group of girls in casual summer clothes.

Daehyun could see that someone was being scolded. He saw a girl was hanging her head low, while there’s another girl who had her hands on her hip.

“That girl is scolded. She’s really a blackhole. She’s late one beat,” the senior of him snickered.

Daehyun somehow couldn’t take his eyes from her – she’s particularly shining between the others. He couldn’t deny, that he’s putting ‘shining’ in a negative way.