07

Summer Camp 2013

 

It’s the third night,, the last night of the Summer Camp. We soon won’t meet each other, so I decided to cherish the moment until the very end.

---

Sitting on the ground, back was leaning comfortably against the fence, arms were folded, eyes were closed – I was waiting for him patiently.

It’s almost thirty minutes and I grew impatient. I was scared – did he forget that actually he must meet me tonight? At least he must still remember that he almost broke my nose.

This nose of mine sure wasn’t as pretty as Kim Taehee’s, but it’s one of my prides too. I mean, I couldn’t smell the smell of chocolate if I broke my nose.

I wanted to strangle his body and did the same to his nose. However, I was scared that I might broke his nose for real.

Time kept ticking, kept moving.

“Water girl!!!” someone shouted from the far.

My head immediately turned to the source of the voice. I knew that voice of course. After three days together with him, I recognized his voice already.

He went inside the field, panting with smile was plastered on his face. He grinned widely as he jogged toward me.

“I’m sorry that I’m late,” he apologized as he sat next to me.

I nodded my head. That moment, I decided to forget about my plan to strangle his body. He looked so handsome – as usual.

“How is your practice?” he asked me suddenly.

“No good review at all. But the leader said that there’s a slight improvement. I still got the beat wrong, but it’s better than before.”

“Good for you though. I was scolded for almost an hour because I almost broke your nose,” he said and chuckled.

I glared him playfully and pointed my nose, “You broke my nose and please kindly pay the operation cost”

He scoffed and rolled his eyes, “Just say it if you want to do a plastic surgery,” he said and stuck his tongue out.

I nudged his ribs with my elbow lightly, “Am not”

“By the way, you know that tonight is our last night in Summer Camp, right?” he asked.

I nodded and bit my lips. It’s a bit disappointing. I hadn’t talked to him that much.

“Should we celebrate it?” he asked once more time.

Before he heard my answer, he already stood up and grabbed me by my hands, pulling me forcefully from the ground and brought me out from the field – half running.

He brought me to the place where we visited for two nights continuously.

---

“Buy anything that you want for tonight,” he said as we strolled together into the minimarket.

“Anything?” I asked in giddy, hands were clasped together, eyes were glistening.

He nodded and ushered me to pick some snacks.

“B-but I don’t want to,” I muttered.

He raised an eyebrow at me, “What? Or why?”

“Nothing,” I replied.

A second later, he suddenly clapped his hands once – made me jumped in surprise. He suddenly grabbed me by my wrist and pulled me to the freezer full of ice creams.

“I don’t need to ask right? You want the chocolate one,” he said as he took two chocolate ice creams from the freezer.

He still remembered.

“It’s my favorite too,” he added.

I smiled – Daehyun loved chocolate ice cream.

---

Both of us walked back to the field as we ate our ice creams. Daehyun bought it for me, a gentleman of his.

“I’m scared of what is coming tomorrow,” I suddenly said.

Yes, it’s real – I was scared of tomorrow. I didn’t want to hear anything about me wasn’t qualified into the cheerleader team – made me must stay behind the cheerleader screen as a manager.

“Let’s practice more then,” he said easily.

I sighed, “You don’t need to practice more, though. I’m the one who need practice.”

“Then, tonight I’ll help you. I won’t practice and I’ll help you instead,” he said.

I stared at him, shocked – flabbergasted. His eyes were looking so sincere. There’s no boy in my school had this kind of eyes – showing how gentle a man could be.

I loved them.

---

There – Daehyun was sitting on a bench on the field, while I was standing feet away in front of him.

My fists were clenched, like I was holding poms. I was going to perform the new moves of cheerleading that my seniors already made.

I was scared that I would embarrass myself in front of Daehyun. I was so unconfident to show the moves in front of one person only – only by myself.

But Daehyun was there, encouraging me and kept pushing me to dance.

“I don’t want,” I said, stomping my feet lightly on the ground, pouting a little bit without me knowing.

He let out a full hearted laugh, “Come on, I want you to cheer for me.”

I groaned and tried to move my arms to the left and right, but there’s no use. My feet looked like that they’re stuck on the ground, while my arms stuck onto my body. Even if I could move them, it won’t be a nice move – more likely to be an awkward cheerleading.

“Heeyoung, just think that I’m playing, but my team is losing,” he explained an imagine game.

“No way, you’re the best here,” I interrupted him.

He rolled his eyes and chuckled, “I know”

“Conceited much,” I snorted.

“Back to you – as a cheerleader, you must cheer for me, right?” he asked.

I nodded, but then shook my head. “I’m a cheerleader for Seoul High School’s soccer team, not Busan’s”

“Just think about it!!” he groaned in frustration.

I laughed, “Okay” I agreed easily.

I inhaled and exhaled the air several times. I made myself quite comfortable in front of Daehyun.

That night, I cheered for Daehyun.