06

Summer Camp 2013

 

I slept at night. I couldn’t remember when I fell asleep, but sure it had passed the midnight – which was the curfew.

The leader caught me and asked me – I answered her honestly that I was practicing.

She complimented me and let me slept as soon as possible.

Then the next morning, I woke up with sore body. Everywhere was sore until I thought that I couldn’t do practice today.

The next thing I knew that other senior was actually knew that I came to the lodge late. She decided to give me some punishments so I would realize what had I done wrong.

Jung Daehyun, you’re dead.

---

“Squat and walk around the field for two rounds, hands above your head and move like a duck,” the evil senior.

I stared at the leader, unconditionally gave her my best puppy eyes. Yet, she only let out a sigh and left me alone – together with this evil senior.

First of all, walking in squat just like a duck was really tiring. Second, my body was all sore – it’s hurting me so much to just squat. Third, there were soccer teams from anywhere were currently practicing.

Hell yeah, Busan High School’s soccer team was there too.

My shoulder was deflated and I decided to follow what this evil senior said. I squatted and started to walk around the field.

Just like what she said – I’ve decided to do two rounds.

Maybe this was my punishment – for being the worst cheerleader.

Since going into cheerleader team, I was hit by several unfortunate incidents.

---

On the other side of the field, Busan High School’s soccer team was currently practicing their play. They were divided into two teams, each was consisted of six members.

Once again, Daehyun wore number ten. He looked really awesome in that uniform.

Well, how could I know because I was currently near them. You know, the perk of being punished to walk around the field was quite amazing. I could see Daehyun in this close distance.

Sometimes I could stop and rest for a while, while I was watching him playing really well.

As expected, Daehyun was for sure the best player in Busan High School’s soccer team for me.

He’s a hard worker, never gave up, handsome, cute, witty – I couldn’t ask more. However, maybe he only noticed me as a water girl or a manager of Seoul High School’s cheerleader team.

But then again, I never forgot about how he turned my spirit on last night.

Another then again, I would never forget to scold him because he already made my body this sore. Plus, I got a punishment for that too.

As I kept my eyes on him, I didn’t realize that a ball had made its way toward me.

“Watch out!” a boy shouted.

Too late, the ball already hit my face. I cringed and cried in pain. Holding my nose, tears slipped out from my eyes. Cries came out from my mouth, I couldn’t contain the pain anymore. The pain was hurting and slowly killing me so much.

Especially when I tried to take a breath from my nose.

“Are you okay? You should be careful,” I heard a voice.

Everything was blurry due to tears in my eyes. I couldn’t help but to cry, it’s painful – like a hell.

“Heeyoung?” I heard another boy’s voice.

I brought myself to open of my eyes, only to see Jung Daehyun – boy number ten – was squatting in front of my, trying to check my condition. His eyes were showing how apologetic he was.

“A-are you okay?” he asked. That second, he looked like a gentleman.

I shook my head slowly. My nose was hurting so much. I didn’t know why, but I felt like I couldn’t feel my nose anymore.

“I-I’m so sorry,” he gasped. “W-where are you hurting?” he asked in concern – more like he’s panic. That second, he didn’t look so cool.

I slowly brought my hands which were covering my face down. I heard people around me gasped, especially Daehyun.

My eyebrow was raised, asking what was wrong with me.

“Your nose…” he muttered.

I tried to sniff, but end up hurting my nose more. I let out another cry.

“Jung Daehyun, bring her to the clinic nearby,” I heard a boy’s voice, commanding Daehyun.

“Yes, senior,” Daehyun answered and without any warning, he scooped me on his arms.

Being brought by Daehyun  - it felt like I was flying in the air.

Even though my nose was hurting, I somehow felt happy.

I shook my head. There’s no way I felt like this. I barely knew Daehyun. But I hoped to know him more.

Jung Daehyun, you must take care all of this!

---

In the end, Daehyun really brought me to the clinic nearby. I was now lying on the bed as a nurse was checking the condition of my soon-to-be-broken nose. She kept touching my nose as she scanned my nose. I hissed in process, though. It hurt so much.

“What happened before?” I heard the doctor asked.

“I kicked the ball really strong, but accidentally it hit her face,” Daehyun answered guiltily.

“Hit her face directly? She’s lucky enough that her nose isn’t completely broken”

Isn’t completely broken? It’s the same with soon-to-be-broken, duh.

“The blood vessel only ruptured, so there’s blood came out from her nose. The pain that she feels isn’t because her nose is broken, but because it’s bruised,” the doctor explained.

I sighed in relief, at least it didn’t break though- they were just condition of soon-to-be-broken-nose.

---

Sniffing the air was surely a great gift.

My nose was in the end wrapped with wet white bandage to compress my bruised nose. The blood had stopped flowing out from my nose – fortunately.

Daehyun was walking beside me. The tension between us was quite awkward.

I kept touching my nose, to make sure there won’t be no blood came out anymore – while Daehyun kept glancing me and my nose, feeling guilty.

“I’m sorry,” he muttered an apology.

I sighed. He must thank me to be this nice kind of person. “No problem, but we must meet again tonight."