Flashback

The place where I belong

 

A little girl is standing on the sidewalk. She wears her hair in two ponytails.

“Mommy, will you be back soon?” she asks. A beautiful lady appears.

“It’s ok, darling. Mommy and daddy have to go somewhere and talk to some people. We won’t be long, trust me. We’ll bring back medication to bring your fever down” she says as she picks the little girl up and hugs her. A man appears.

“Just be strong, my little princes, we won’t be long. Will you be strong for daddy?” he tells the little girl while patting her head. The little girl nods.

“Just hurry up!” she demands.

“That’s my little girl” the man says and grins. The beautiful woman smiles sweetly.

“Aunty will take care of you until we return” the man says. The woman that seems to live next door stands next to the little girl. They wave.

The car takes off.

Screeching sound.

Horns.

Bang…

Everything black.

I open my eyes. My cheeks are wet and my eyes sting. I wipe the traces of my tears away with my sleeve. It’s dark in the room. The only light is coming from the hallway and from the machines monitoring everything of the lifeless body laying on the bed before me. I stand up and walk over to him. I look at his pale face, looking so peaceful and relaxed. His breathing is stable and somehow works calming for me. I softly take his hand. Most of his wrist is bandaged. Most of his right side is severely injured. I hate thinking about how badly injured he is. He and Eli took the most of the blast, seeing how they both sat on the side of where the car hit them. Soohyun was luckier, sitting in front and getting the least of the blast for the people who were sitting on the right of the car. Eli is still in operation for the time being. He had a fracture in his arm that had to be taken care of as soon as possible. Kevin went into operation immediately after he was brought in. It seems his condition is stable for the time being. They are keeping him in and artificial come for the time being until they can tell for sure his internal organs are perfectly fine. If that’s the case, they’ll wake him up somewhere tomorrow.

“Miss, you’re up?” a woman’s voice says. I turn towards the doorway where I can see a young nurse looking at me with a worried face. She comes in and walks up to Kevin’s side.

“It seems like he’s doing good” she says nodding, trying to comfort me.

“Don’t worry miss, they’ll all pull through” she says.

“His friend just came out of surgery, it seems he’ll be fine in no time. No  need for you to worry” she says.

“I also checked on the other guys” they’ll be released tomorrow” she continues. I nod.

“Thank you” I say.

“We’re doing what we can, miss” she answers me.

“Would you like something to drink? Maybe it’ll calm you down a bit” she asks. I shake my head.

“No, thank you” I say.

“If you want, you can use the second bed to lay down a bit. His friend won’t be back here until this morning. You should get some rest, miss. Watch out for your heath too” she says.

“Thank you” I say: “I don’t really feel like sleeping much though.”

I really couldn’t sleep much anyway. I want to be here, by his side. The nurse nods.

“Call me if there’s something wrong, ok?” she says. I nod. She leaves the room. I look back at Kevin. Sweat has build up on his face. I take the little towel and start patting the sweat from his face. A stray tear rolls down my cheek when I once again notice how pale his face has become. I wipe a few hair that were sticking on his forehead out of his face and lean in to plant a soft kiss on his forehead. More tears roll over my face. How could this have happened. I want to hug him, kiss him, tell him that he means everything to me. And, I want him to hug me back. I pull the chair closer to Kevin’s bed, so that I can hold his hand as I sit down. I have no idea how long I just sit here, looking at Kevin. Thinking about him, thinking about the rest of the guys. I sit here for a long time before I fall asleep again with tears in my eyes.

-On the ___ intersection, an awful accident has taken place. The car of a young couple was hit a driver who ignored the traffic lights. The car committed a hit and run, but was later found on the side of the road. The driver suffered a critical head injury and was taken to the hospital. The car of the young couple bared no survivors. The tank had suffered a leak so the car exploded before the help services arrived. A five year old girl was caught in the explosion and was taken to the hospital in critical condition with possible brain damage-

“Auntie, where is my mommy? Where is my daddy? They told me they would be back soon” a little black haired girl says. Her hair is hanging over her shoulders, a complete mess.

“Aunty, where am I? Where is this place?” the little girl asks, lying in a hospital bed. She is surrounded by a young man and woman and a little boy, about her age. A little older.

“Aunty, why are you crying? Wait until appa comes back. He’ll make the tears go away, he’s the best at that” the little girl says smiling sweetly. Her head is bandaged.

“Your… your parents aren’t coming back” the woman says with tears in her eyes.

“That’s not true, appa said he will come back, umma too. They never break promises. They’ll be back, you’ll see” the little girl says, trying to smile.

“All I have to do is be strong, appa said so, my daddy said so!” she exclaimes. The little boy crawls on the bed, sitting down next to the little girl. He wraps his arms around her and starts to cry.

“Hyunae, it’s ok. You can cry” the little boy says.

“B..b..b..b..but, I had to be strong” the little girl says.

“They’ll come back if I’ll be strong!” she says, her first tears rolling down her face.