Let's Just...

Only One for Me

A/N: karou's oneshot made me realize how much I miss JeTi and their fics and their fluff too, so I wrote this instead of sleeping. Trying something new with the dialogue-only sandwich. I haven't written fluff in forever, it feels weird.


“…Hello?”

“Good morning!”

“It’s three-thirty, Tiffany, it’s the middle of the night, not the morning. Why are you calling me in the middle of the night?”

“You sound very awake for ‘the middle of the night.’”

“That’s because I just finished my essay and I just went to bed and I just—”

“Well, I just wanted to call you.”

“Well…”

“Well?”

“That’s not much of a reason.”

“It’s not?”

“It’s not.”

“I just wanted to talk to you. I just wanted to hear your voice. I just—missed you.”

“That’s…more than one reason.”

“What an astute observation.”

“Thank you, I’m very astute.”

“You sure are, Jessi.”

“Okay, so those are pretty good reasons.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Okay, now we just sound like echoes of each other.”

“‘We just’ a lot of things.”

“Mm hmm…”

“Are you going to fall asleep on me?”

“I wish I could fall asleep on you. Why do you live on the other side of campus?”

“Because room assignments are mean.”

“Yeah, they is. I mean, they are.”

“Jessi, you sound exhausted. Go to sleep.”

“I would be asleep by now if someone didn’t call me in the middle of the night…”

“You’re welcome.”

“That wasn’t a thank you.”

“Oh come on, just admit it. My call made your day.”

“I’m going to sleep. Don’t talk to me before noon.”

*

When Tiffany steps into Jessica’s room at 12:01, she’s still asleep, half-tangled in the blankets with one arm stretched out above her head. Tiffany doesn’t understand how she can sleep like that comfortably, but then again, it’s Jessica. Her ability to sleep anywhere and at any time is practically a superpower. Tiffany idly wonders what her superhero name would be. Lady Snooze…that doesn’t sound very appealing. Sandwoman? Sleeper Agent? Dream Girl?

The thought of the last one makes her laugh out loud. She should lay off the late night romance novel reading. Anyway, these days, love stories aren’t as appealing to read because none of them can compare to the one that she’s living.

Jessica stirs and half-opens her eyes. “Tiff?” she croaks, her voice thick with sleep.

Tiffany’s chest warms at how it’s her name Jessica calls out on the verge of wakefulness. “Yeah,” she says softly, “it’s me.”

Jessica reaches an arm out, and Tiffany takes her hand and a seat on the bed. “Sorry,” Tiffany says contritely. “Did I wake you up?”

“It’s okay.” Jessica smiles. “I was just dreaming about you anyway.”

Tiffany laces their fingers together. “What was I doing in your dream?”

Jessica’s smile turns crooked, sly. She tugs Tiffany’s arm with surprising force, pulling her down to the bed. It’s only a single so they’re pressed snug against each other. Jessica is practically radiating heat; Tiffany can feel it burning her through the blanket.

“It wasn’t really a question of what you were doing…” Jessica says, sliding a thigh between hers.

“And here I thought you were tired,” Tiffany teases.

“I’m not too tired for you.” Jessica kisses her, not heated but warm, not urgent but tender. “I’m never too tired for you.”

Tiffany is filled with too many words to speak, so she just smiles and fits their mouths together again. Sometimes words aren’t enough, and other times they’re not necessary. When it comes to the two of them, there have been plenty of both times, but they’ve learned to understand each other, words or no words.

“Jessi, I…”

Jessica’s mouth returns to hers, taking the rest of the sentence from her lips. “I know.”

And Tiffany is sure that she does.

*

“So…was that better than your dream?”

“Well, my dream was really long…”

“And that was short?”

“Not really, but…”

“But?”

“Time always passes by too fast when I’m with you.”

“Oh, Jessi.”

“Ugh, that sounded horribly cheesy.”

“Don’t worry, I don’t mind.”

“It’s a good thing you like cheese.”

“Only mozzarella and Parmesan.”

“Tiff.”

“Then again, brie is nice too.”

“I just like the cheese on pizza. That’s mozzarella, right?”

“I just like you.”

“…I thought we were talking about cheese.”

“We were, I just…”

“Just?”

“I like you, Jessica.”

“More than cheese?”

“More than anything.”

“…Okay, now you’re being the cheesy one.”

“You do that to me. Maybe that’s your superpower.”

“Huh? What superpower?”

“Nothing. I’m just…”

“I think that can be a saying now: ‘I’m just.’”

“Okay, want to just with me?”

“Sure. Let’s just together.”

“Okay. Together.”