Friend?

The Player Sitting Next To Me (HIATUS!)

HyoRin continued to write down the math problem, solving it with nothing else on her mind. As soon as she put the pencil down, she looked at the desk beside her. Lee HyukJae, eh? This guy always skips class! she thought, right before the teacher interrupted her thoughts.

"E-excuse me, HyoRin! B-but, c-could you deliver these p-printouts to Lee H-HyukJae? H-he's always skipping class...!" the teacher, Mrs. Jung, asked timidly. 

"Will you buy me a new study guide if I do?" HyoRin questioned, receiving a quick nod from Mrs. Jung.

HyoRin sighed, accepting the package quickly. She packed up her notebooks and utensils, now finally leaving the classroom for the night. It was after school anyways.


She knocked on the door, blank face and all. 

A young man opened the door.

"H-hello. I'm Kim HyoRin, one of Lee HyukJae's classmates. He's been missing classes recently, so I have these printouts for him." she explained politely with a bow.

"Oh, come on in then! Eunhyuk is upstairs in his room, last room to the right." the man replied, motioning HyoRin to enter.

Shyly, HyoRin entered and quietly made her way up the stairs and to the room. Nervously, she knocked on the door.

"E-excuse me? H-Hyukjae?!" she nervously called out, facing the ground.

The door swiftly swung open, revealing an irritated Eunhyuk.

"What?" he questioned coldly.

"Uh, since you've been absent since the first day of school, Mrs. Jung asked me to drop off these printouts for you." HyoRin answered with a shaky tone, handing over the package.

"..e-eh?" Eunhyuk shockingly breathed, "...l-like a friend?! A friend dropping off printouts for another friend?!" he asked with wide-eyes.

It's not like we're friends anymore... she thought angrily.

"Yeah, sure, whatever floats your boat." HyoRin replied coldly.

"Wow~! How coo~l! I've always wanted to experience this kind of friendship! Thanks, RiRin!!" he shouted like a child. "You're a great friend!"

What's with this guy? Like he has the audacity to give me such an old nickname. Ugh. HyoRin thought in disgust, holding back a punch.

"Okay, well, I have to go home now. It's getting late. Go over the lessons or whatever, kay bye." HyoRin bided her goodbye, storming off in a somewhat calm way.


"HyoRin?" Mrs. Jung suddenly asked as all the students dismissed themselves after the sudden bell.

"Yes?" she responded, not taking her eyes off of her notebook.

Mrs. Jung carefully layed the study guide on her desk, looking at her with pleading eyes.

"So, what happened with HyukJae...?" she curiosuly piped.

"He called me a friend." HyoRin quickly replied.

"Waaah?! Really?! Then, perhaps you can pursue him from skipping classes and actually hang out with girls over here!" Mrs. Jung suggested.

"That is an automatic 'no'." she replied with a sarcastic smile.

"Wa~ah! C'mon~. No other students are willing to, and- hey - if he doesn't agree, you can threaten him with the fact that he might get expelled, and-" Mrs. Jung rambled, being interrupted by HyoRin.

"Okay, I'll do it." HyoRin gave in, sighing in defeat as she packed up her stuff.


HyoRin knocked on the front door softly, expecting the same guy to open it up again.

"HyoRin? Here for Eunhyuk again?" he asked.

"D-deh." HyoRin responded, with a slight nod.

"Oh, then come in, come in~!" the man replied in a friendly tone, HyoRin soon walking right in and going to straight to Eunhyuk's room in a swift manner.

She knocked on his door fiercly, hearing an audiable female voice coming from behind that door.

Does this idiot have a girl over?! HyoRin thought with such a disgusted face on that had a hint of confusion.

"Wh- Oh? HyoRin?" Eunhyuk asked surprised.


"Hey, RiRin~, that was cruel. Making that cute girl leave my room just so we could go and get a snack together..." Eunhyuk mumbled before he took a sip from his strawberry bubble tea.

HyoRin bit into her pastry snack, not realizing how cruel she was before.

"Well, it's not like it matters completely. She's just another girl, right? You may, but I for sure won't see her again." she remarked.

"Th-that's true. B-by the way, is this how it feels like...?"

"How what feels like?" HyoRin quickly responded with a cold tone.

"...hanging out with friends after school. Does it feel like this? Is it differnet?" Eunhyuk curiously asked with innocent eyes, a blush creeping on his cheeks.

"If you want to find out so bad, just go to school."

"I-I would, but everyone is afraid of me and--"

"Hey hey~! Oppa~!" an annoying voice chirped, interrupting Eunhyuk.

"Mwo? Oh, Hyoyeon." he sound a bit startled, innocent to mature eyes now shifting to her.

"Hey, oppa~. You know I love you~. Could I have some money~? C'mon, oppa~." she asked, obviously trying too hard to sound cute.

"Uh? Oh yeah sure." Eunhyuk obliviously replied, handing her a handful of money.

"Thank you, oppa~!" she giggled, skipping away.

"You know, it's not love if she's just asking you for money." HyoRin spoke up, shocking Eunhyuk with those words.

"...y-you're a bad person then. How could that mean she doesn't love me?! Huh?!" Eunhyuk shouted, springing up and flipping the table.

He grabbed his drink and ran off, leaving you a mess.


I knocked on the door to his house, the same young man opening the door.

"Ah? HyoRin? Eunhyuk isn't home right now, but would you like to play a game?"


Just as HyoRin was almost done playing this videogame Eunhyuk's cousin (who was the man at the door every time) let her play, Eunhyuk kept crossing her mind.

That idiot! Will he ever realize that she's just using him? That's not a real girlfriend.

But a familiar annoying voice had interrupted her thoughts.

She put the controller down, quietely going up the stairs and towards the voice. In Eunhyuk's room.

Hyoyeon was on a phone call.

"Right, unnie?! I love him! Aish, he's cute and a bit rich and all... but he's kind of a nusiance! He's a real big idiot too! He skips school everyday, did you know that, unnie?! ...yeah I know right?! That bum could at least get a job! He has ten other girls to handle, as well!" Hyoyeon complained, pacing back in forth in the room.

Just as HyoRin scanned the hallway, she found an upset Eunhyuk just sitting behind a box, hiding.

HyoRin marched to his room, unaware of what kind of move she was about to do.

"I-If you really do love Eunhyuk... th-then at least be honest with him! S-stop talking behind his back and unconciouslly hurting him! I-it's not good!" HyoRin exclaimed, on the verge of tears as she hid her face.

Childhood friendships had an impact on her.


The orange-tinted sky, two childhood friends who weren't exacty close walked under the sky.

In other words, Eunhyuk was walking HyoRin home.

HyoRin turned around to face Eunhyuk, hearing a sniffle coming from him.

"You don't have to cry, you know." she said coldly.

"I know, but... I'm just so happy. I've never been this happy." he responded with a sincere smile, continuing to wipe his tears.

"It's not that big of a deal, really." HyoRin insisted.

HyoRin walked up to Eunhyuk slowly, hugging him as comfort.

"N-no it is," he replied as HyoRin broke the hug apart," A-and I've decided to go to school tomorrow! B-because you'll be there! And all the pretty women!"

"Eh?! Really?! Well, I guess that's great." HyoRin admitted, a true warm smile on her face.

I never cried when a family member died, but, why do I feel like crying all of a sudden?

"You know what HyoRin?!" Eunhyuk exclaimed.

"Wha?"

"I've also decided that I like you! Yes, I like you!" 

"Oh great," HyoRin sarcastically said with a bored tone.

"No, HyoRin! I love you and I always will!" Eunhyuk excitedly shouted, his voice echoing. "Haha~! I'll see you tomorrow, RiRin~!" he said, running off with a big grin on his face, leaving HyoRin flustered.

N-no, it can't be. He's a player. These words are meaningless.