Chapter 4:

Me To You, You To Me

 

Chapter 4: Try Harder, Santa

(by the way, please listen to Jonghyun's My Love when reading this chapter,

it'll be much better, if you do so hehe)

 

Christmas lights and decorations were flickering from one end of the mansion to the other and the different employees at the Choi Residence were finally preparing for tonight’s Christmas Eve Dinner. The presents, including Sooyoung’s gift to Jonghyun, were already under the large Christmas tree, all wrapped beautifully and neatly. Everyone was quite busy because Mr. Choi had allowed everyone to invite along one special friend, well except for Jonghyun.

Instead of one friend, he was asked to bring along his three band mates, because Mr. Choi requested himself for them to play a few songs tonight and course, it was Jonghyun’s pleasure to do so. And tonight would seem to be the first Sooyoung was actually home to witness them play, which he noted in his mind.

The door bell rang over and over again to welcome each new guest. Sooyoung had especially invited her best friend, Seohyun, who came the earliest, to join them tonight. They treated each other like sisters and Sooyoung particularly would become a bit protective over the younger innocent girl. “Seohyunnie! I’m so glad you could come!” Sooyoung exclaimed as she hugged her. “Of course, Unnie!” Seohyun replied hugging her too. “Come on, make yourself at home.” The older one said as she guided the guest to the living room.

It wasn’t long ‘til Jonghyun’s friends: Yonghwa, Minhyuk, and Jungshin arrived. Because of the difference of their social status, they first seemed quite nervous but the anxiety vanished when Mr. and Mrs. Choi warmly greeted them. “Good evening to you boys. We’re looking forward to another wonderful presentation.” Mr. Choi told them as he shook each one of their hands before surprisingly giving Jonghyun a pat on the shoulder. “I know it’ll be good.” He told him before attending to the other visitors with his wife.

“Oh wow it’s a full house tonight huh.” Jungshin said as he observed the many people around the house. “I thought you said you could only bring one person?” Minhyuk asked with Yonghwa nodding his head in agreement. “Well, it is actually. There are just a lot of workers here to which the Choi’s considered them to join the party. A bunch of kind people this family is.” Jonghyun answered all their questions as he guided them all the way to the space in where they will perform.

Just then the bell for dinner had just rung and everyone gathered around the food. “First of all I would like to thank each and every one of you for coming here tonight. It is truly of pleasure to see you all on behalf of our family. Cheers to everyone!” Mr. Choi announced. “Cheers!” everyone else cheered as they raise their wine glasses. The four boys were able to sit down on a vacant couch which was coincidentally across where Sooyoung and Seohyun were having their little chat and giggles.

Yonghwa, glancing at them from time to time, couldn’t help but look at one of them, which Jonghyun notices. “Hey, who’r”e you looking at?” he asks his hyung curiously as he also eyes the two girls. “It’s not your mistress, for your information.” Yonghwa answered with a smirk before taking a sip from his wine. Jonghyun raised one of his eyebrows in question. “What do you mean by that?” he asked once more. But this time, instead of getting a proper answer, Yonghwa only whistled before giving him a music sheet. “Here, this is for our little show tonight. Get ready, we’re almost on.” He says to Jonghyun as he stood up to get dessert. Jonghyun just looked at the paper, glanced quickly at the two girls, and gave a big sigh before getting his guitar.

After a few more moments, it was Mrs. Choi this time who gave an announcement. “Well, for me, a Christmas party is not complete without good music. And tonight we have the perfect people to serenade us tonight. But before we’d go start, I would like to acknowledge my daughter’s presence tonight. Even though she has lots of schedules, this is the first time in years, where she had spent Christmas with us at home.” Everyone then turned to Sooyoung and gave a clap including the boys. “Uh thank you everyone.” Sooyoung thanked quite shyly.

“I still envy you for always being able to see a famous person, especially here, everyday.” Jungshin whispered at Jonghyun, and before the latter could respond, the taller boy quickly left him to ready his bass guitar.

Everybody was now busy chit-chatting with one another until Mr. Choi presented himself. “Everyone, please take a seat and let’s listen to this wonderful band. Let’s welcome these four boys as they present us music tonight.” He announced before going back to his seat next to Mrs. Choi. Silence came over when people were already anticipating and waiting for the band to start, including Sooyoung and Seohyun who were intently waiting patiently.

Minhyuk was on drums, Jungshin for bass, Jonghyun and his guitar, and Yonghwa too with his own guitar. “Good evening everyone. Our first song is called “Sweet Holiday”. We hope you enjoy it.” Yonghwa said before they started playing. In the audience, Seohyun elbowed Sooyoung. “Hey, do you know his name?” she asked with her eyes still on Yonghwa. “I don’t really know his name, but I think he’s Jonghyun’s best friend.” She replied as her eyes too are on a certain guitarist.

The music went smoothly for a certain time until they finished all three songs. Although Sooyoung was a bit disappointed to have only heard Jonghyun’s voice a little since it was Yonghwa who seemed like the vocalist. But the girl next to her was already drowned in awe for the said vocalist. Just when everyone thought the performance was over, and Sooyoung suddenly stood up, Yonghwa again made an announcement. “Well, to be quite honest we wouldn’t have been able to have the chance to perform here if it was for our friend, Lee Jonghyun, who serves this family. So, as thanks we will play one more song which will be sung by Jonghyun himself.” He proudly said.

Jonghyun was surprised since it wasn’t part of the plan. Everyone then clapped one more time and even Mr. and Mrs. Choi cheered for the young man. Sooyoung was about to get up and leave before Seohyun grabbed her wrist and pulled her down to her seat. “You know, it isn’t polite to leave during a show.” Seohyun whispered which made the girl blush a little. “Fine.” She snorted. It was silent at first before Jonghyun strummed the first note on his guitar. The small audience was listening intently.

 

창밖에 비가 내리면 감춰둔 기억이 내 맘을 적시고

Jangbakke biga naerimyeon gamjwodeul gieokgi nae mameul jeoksigo
When the rain falls out the window, the hidden memories drench my heart

잊은 줄 알았던 사람 오히려 선명히 또 다시 떠올라
Ijeun jul alrassdeon saram ohiryeo seonmyeonghi ddo dasi ddeoolla

The person I thought I forgot clearly floats up in my head instead

내 사랑아 사랑아 그리운 나의 사랑아

Nae sarangah sarangah geuriun naeui sarangah
My love, my love, my love who I long for

목놓아 불러보지만 듣지도 못하는 사랑

moknoha bulleobojiman deutjido mothaneun sarang
My love, who I call out as loud as I can but can’t hear me

내 사랑아 사랑아 보고픈 나의 사랑아

Nae sarangah sarangah bogopeun naeui sarangah
My love, my love, my love that I miss

그대 이름만으로도 베인 듯 아픈 사랑아 내 사랑아

Geudae ireumaneurodo bein deut apeun sarangah nae sarangah
Just your name alone cuts me, my painful love, my love

창가에 어둠이 오면

Janggaye eodeumi omyeon
When the darkness comes out the window

숨겨 논 추억이 내 맘을 밝히네

sumgyeo non chueokgi nae mameul balkhine
The hidden memories light up my heart

내 사랑아 사랑아 그리운 나의 사랑아

Nae sarangah sarangah geuriun naeui sarangah
My love, my love, my love that I long for

목놓아 불러보지만 듣지도 못하는 사랑

moknoha bulleobojiman deutjido mothaneun sarang
My love, who I call out as loud as I can but can’t hear me

내 사랑아 사랑아 보고픈 나의 사랑아

Nae sarangah sarangah bogopeun naeui sarangah
My love, my love, my love who I miss

그대 이름만으로도 베인 듯 아픈 사랑아 내 사랑아

Geudae ireumaneurodo bein deut apeun sarangah nae sarangah
Just your name alone cuts me, my painful love, my love

우리 함께 웃음 지었던 순간

Uri hamkke useum jieotdeon sungan
The moments we laughed together

우리 함께 눈물 흘렸던 순간

uri hamkke nunmul heulryeotdeon sungan
The moments we shed tears together

이제 그만 보내지만

 ije geuman bonaejiman-
Now I let it go but-

 

His voice was soft, smooth, and masculine, Sooyoung noted. This was the first time she had heard and seen him play. Every while back then, she’d notice his fingers were long on his right hand while his left was short. She finally understood why and it’s because of how he played the guitar. Meanwhile, Jonghyun was unconsciously trying to look for a certain someone in the audience as he was singing. His eyes kept moving from person to person, but still he hadn’t seen her.

 

내 사랑아 사랑아 고마운 나의 사랑아

Nae sarangah sarangah gomaun naeui sarangah
My love, my love,  love I am grateful for

내 전부 다 지운대도 가슴에 남겨질 사랑

nae jeonbu dasi undaedo gaseume namgyeojil sarang
My love, that stays even if I erase everything

내 사랑아 사랑아 소중한 나의 사랑아

Nae sarangah sarangah sojunghan naeui sarangah
My love, my love, my precious love

내 숨이 다 할 때까지 간직할 나의 사랑아 내 사랑아

nae sumi da hal ddaekaji ganjikhal naeui sarangah nae sarangah
I will cherish you until my breath runs out, my love, my love

 

Just when he was about to sing the last line, he then made eye contact with her. Unknowingly to himself, he gave a beautiful smile at her. Which Sooyoung, in turn, felt really uncomfortable, which Seohyun notices. Jonghyun finishes his song with the guitar note and everyone gave a standing ovation while Sooyoung, also stood up but went by the Christmas tree and rushed to her room. “That was amazing!” Mr. Choi exclaimed as he gives a pat on Jonghyun’s back. “T-thank you Mr. Choi.” He managed to say still kind of shocked because of everyone’s positive response.

When everyone again was back to socializing, a middle aged man then approached the four boys who just played. “Um excuse me, I’m from Sooyoung’s label agency and I just wanted to tell you, that was an amazing performance. The company would be glad to have you join and you can secure all of you a spot in the entertainment industry. So how about it?” the man said all at once. The boys were astounded at first both in happiness and shock.

“I-...We… Umm…” Minhyuk tried to answer but it was Yonghwa who gave a proper answer. “We’ll talk about it amongst ourselves first. But thank you so much for the offer.” He said as he held out his hand for a shake. The agency man chuckled and shook Yonghwa’s hand. “Of course. The offer’s waiting anytime you’re ready. I’ll see you then.” He told them before excusing himself and left.

All four boys then faced each other gave themselves each a bro fist and a high five. “Woah that was totally unexpected!” Jungshin almost shouted in excitement until he was hushed by the eldest one. “Although….I don’t know guys, are we prepared?” Jonghyun thought out loud. Yonghwa then cleared his throat. “Hey, I know we’re all excited about this, but why don’t we celebrate Christmas first. Come on.” He told them before pointing towards the counter where more food was being served. Minhyuk and Jungshin agreed and followed Yonghwa while Jungshin felt like he needed to do something and was pondering on what it was.

Meanwhile, Yonghwa eyed only one sweet potato, which was his favorite, left on the counter. He rushed his way to get it but when he reached for it, another hand came by which surprised both of them. He then looked at whose hand that was and was really shocked to find the girl he was glancing at earlier. “Oh um… you can have it if you want. I’m not that hungry anymore..uh..” he stuttered while handing over the sweet potato.

Seohyun giggled before getting the food. “Thank you but why don’t we half it instead. I’m sorry to say but you’re obviously lying because why would you try to get one of these when you aren’t hungry?” she said in a matter of fact tone before she sliced the sweet potato in half and gave it to him.

“Oh wow, you’re really kind. Thank you very much. I’m….Jung Yonghwa by the way.” He introduced himself and smiled shyly. “Ah so Yonghwa’s your name. I’ve been curious about it ever since we saw you perform earlier. That was really good. I’m Seo Joohyun but you can call me Seohyun.” She replied with a wide smile. Apparently both of them sat down together while eating their ‘gogumas’ and seems to have fun talking with each other. Meanwhile Jungshin and Minhyuk were enjoying on their own which seems to be a food eating contest.

Suddenly Mr. Choi again, made another announcement, which seemed to be the last one for tonight. “Now, before we all go, we should finally give our presents to each other. Everyone, enjoy your gifts.” He said as he gave Mrs. Choi his own gift to her making everyone “awe”. By now, all of them were giving gifts… well maybe except for two. Jonghyun looked under the Christmas tree and seems like there weren’t anymore which made him a bit disappointed and wondered where his mistress went.

After more of pondering, he finally realized what he was supposed to do. He rushed into the kitchen, took some cookies and milk, and dashed all the way upstairs. In no time, he was again, like always, in front of Sooyoung’s room. After some inhale and exhale, Jonghyun then knocked on her door and surprisingly, she answered. “Come in.” He could hear but he noticed it was in an unusual weak voice.

When he went inside, the girl seemed to have already changed into her pajamas and was outside on the balcony looking over the garden, which had Christmas lights all over. He went up to her and showed her the cookies. “Looks like someone needs snacks.” He said. Sooyoung just rolled her eyes. “Looks like Santa’s not coming to eat those.” She replied as she once again looked over the garden. “I never said these were for Santa. Anyways, what are you doing here and leaving Seohyun-ssi alone?” he asked as he put the tray down on a nearby table. “She’s not alone. I could see from here that she’s already found someone.” She answered as she was looking on the said girl. Well, apparently the living room was in front of the garden and everyone was also clearly seen on Sooyoung’s balcony.

“How ‘bout you? Don’t you have your guests to entertain?” she asked harshly. “Oh please, they’re fine… I’m the one that’s not.” He said while whispering the last words, barely audible for the girl to hear. “What did you say?” Sooyoung asked as she didn’t catch the last part. “It’s nothing. Jonghyun lied and just shrugged before leaning on the railing of the balcony. Sooyoung then again, rolled her eyes and before she could say anything, a thought came over her mind and she immediately went back inside which cause Jonghyun to raise his eyebrows in question.

After a few moments, she returned with a wrapped gift. She quickly gave it to Jonghyun without looking at him and went back to gazing down on the garden. Jonghyun was a bit surprised but just smiled afterwards. “And I thought where did this go. I swear I saw it under the Christmas tree before the whole party started.” He told her. “Well, I didn’t want to give it in front of a lot of people.”

“Why?”                                                                                                                                               

“Oh stop it with the questions. I’m going to sleep, now leave please.” Sooyoung finally said a bit irritated as she lied down on the bed. Jonghyun just gave a crooked smile and small sigh as he went out. “Good Night mistre-….I mean, Soo..young-ssi.” He said before closing the door. When he left Sooyoung just buried herself under her pillow.

It wasn’t that long until the whole party finally finished. Minhyuk and Jungshin left first and Yonghwa decided to accompany Seohyun on her way back home. Mr. and Mrs. Choi went directly into their room saying they were already exhausted. Sooyoung was already sleeping by then and Jonghyun was in room, trying to open his gift. “Hmmm… seems like she wrapped this quite well… so that maybe I won’t be able to open it.” He smiled at the thought before he finally opened it. “Ahh finally…” he thought a loud. He then saw the orange long sleeved shirt she bought him a few days. After only staring at it for awhile, he then decided to try it on.

“It somehow fits perfectly.” He thought when he saw himself in the mirror. It was a cozy shirt too, perfect for all the seasons, well maybe except for summer. He then took it off, folded it neatly and say on his bed. He then took out his cell phone and dialed a number. “Hello?” the other line answered after about three rings.

Jonghyun smiled when he heard the voice he was expecting. “Merry Christmas Mom.” 

♥.*.♥

Note: So did everyone enjoy their Christmas? hehe How was this chapter? It was longer than I thought hehe and gosh, I finally introduced Soehyun! Yey for YongSeo!!! I know, Sooyoung is just so stubborn here! But that's gonna change soon and drama will be coming so get ready! Anyways, thank you again for all your support and I love the comments! Keep it going! Thanks for reading everyone!