Chapter Seven

Love Brings Change

 

Four months after their first night together as a couple, they got engaged, Gerald popped the question when they had their 4th monthsary in an exclusive restaurant in Makati, Gerald had everything prepared, though the events turned out to be happening so fast, Kim accepted the proposal. Kim and Jessica moved in at Gerald’s place a month after.

“Honey, do you really have to go on your weekend bonding with Troy?” Gerald has been negotiating with her to just make it as a dinner or lunch bonding.

“Ge, hindi ba sinabi ko na sa’yo? I promised Troy we’ll not abandon him. This is the only way we can still get connected.”

“You will not abandon him, you will still be having bonding time with him over dinner or lunch or brunch.”

“Honey, ano pa bang ikinakatakot mo? Are you still jealous?”

Gerald admitted of being jealous months ago, when Kim cancelled their date because of their weekend bonding with Troy.

“I don’t know. Iiwan niyo ako ngayon gabi dito mag-isa sa bahay?”

“Come on hon, you are already a grown up man, kayang kaya mo na ang mag-isa.”

Gerald pouted. “I will miss you.”

“Honey, dalawang araw at isang gabi lang naman.

“Hindi ba talaga ako pwedeng sumama?” he went near her and hugged her from behind.

“Do I have to repeat the rule again?”

“Bakit? Hindi ba in a few months doon na rin tayo pupunta? So parang asawa mo na rin ako, diba?"

It was Kim and Troy’s rule that the only time when they can invite someone to join them is when they get married and it has to be only with their spouses and children.

“Haaaay, ang kulit ng mister to be ko, sige na pumayag ka na.” she kissed him.

“O sige just promise me na hindi kayo tabi tabing matulog in one bed.”

Kim laughed. “Opo!”

Gerald hugged her again. “Good.”

After 6 months of being engaged, they finally got married. Jessica finished her schooling at the Nursery. The family of three moved to a three-storey house built by Gerald in Quezon City. Jessica has been enrolled by Kim at the Pre-school of Jemma’s bestfriend, she’ll be in kinder 1 by then, five minutes away from their home. Before going into a new step, Jessica is enjoying her 2 months vacation.

Kim and Gerald just got back from their 2 weeks honeymoon in Europe, Jessica stayed with the Andersons while her parents were away. Gerald has also adopted Jessica, from Jessica Aliyah Chiu, she’s now Jessica Aliyah Anderson.

 Today is Jessica’s 5th birthday; Kim is very busy preparing for the party. At two in the afternoon, the surprise party has been given to Jessica, the shock and awe’s evident on her face. She finally was able to run to her parents and hugged them. “Thank you, Mommy and Daddy!”

 She did the same to her grandparents and with Jemma. She also recognized familiar faces in the crowd, all of her schoolmates at the Nursery school were present to celebrate with her. After the parlor games, time for the birthday girl to blow her candles and made her silent wish.

Mommy Vangie asked her apo to say her wish out loud.

Jessica looked at her parents. Gerald nodded and seems like encouraging her daughter to say it.

She beamed and said. “I wanted a baby brother!”

Everyone parents. Kim and Gerald looked at each other and just smiled.

The party’s over at six in the evening. Jessica was able to sleep as soon as her back touched her pink bed. Kim and Gerald’s already in bed and ready to sleep.

“Honey, thank you for organizing this party for our baby.”

“For our baby!” she smiled.

“Have you realized that our baby is feeling lonely of being the only child? Gusto na niya ng kapatid.”

Kim giggled. “I know, we’re doing everything we can.”

“Yeah, and tonight, we’re doing a lot more effort, baka makabuo na.” he teased.

Kim didn’t argue, she obliged completely and willingly to his spells. They made love.

 

Another 3 months have passed; Kim has been expanding her flower shop and is very busy preparing for the opening of her Pasay branch. In times that Jessica needs her mommy, Gerald was there to fill her wife’s duty. He understands her completely about being so busy these past few days.

One Friday afternoon when Gerald and Jessica gave Kim a surprise visit at her flower shop in Quezon City.

Kim was very busy making calls when the father and daughter arrived. Jessica came running to Kim’s office the moment she entered the flowers shop, followed by Gerald.

“Mommy!!!!!”

Kim’s literally surprised. “Anak, sinong kasama mo?” Jessica climbed to sit on her lap.

Gerald appeared, he gave Kim a smack.

“Honey, what are you doing here?”

“Visiting you, miss ka na daw ng anak mo, pati sa bahay hindi ka na niya nakikita.”

Kim put the phone down and set all the papers aside.

“I know, I am so sorry.” She kissed Jessica’s left cheek.

“okay, Mommy is not working this afternoon, saan gustong pumunta ng baby ko?”

Jessica beamed. “ You are going with us, Mommy?”

Kim nodded. “Yes sweetie.”

“Wow! Daddy and I agreed to visit the mall. Daddy promised to buy anything I wanted.”

Kim looked up at Gerald who is smiling.

“Great! I think Mommy can buy you anything instead of daddy. My treat!”

“Yehey! Can we go now?” Jessica gets on her feet and ran to the door.

Kim took her purse, Gerald waited for his wife and the three of them drove to the mall.

 

The busy days for Kim continued. It was the first week of her new branch after the grand opening 3 days ago. Everybody is busy. She would want to personally train and assist her staffs until the first month ends. So she stayed at her Pasay branch for a month. The drive to Pasay from Quezon City has been a punishment for her most of the time, she often times get caught into traffic. Gerald would fetch her in the evening and would notice how stressed Kim was. But even if he’ll advise her to take a break, she’d not take the advice, for she always insists that her staffs needed her at the moment. Gerald again supported her.

Jessica’s class started a month ago, Kim didn’t even has the opportunity to take her daughter to school, although she helps the yaya prepare everything that’s needed for Jessica’s school every night. Gerald was the one to take her daughter to school and the one that would collect her after school. They would go to lunch together and Jessica would request to stay with him in his office after lunch. If Gerald has to go to a meeting, Mommy Vangie will take care of Jessica. Kim would just call to keep herself updated with Jessica. It was only at dinner that they would be reunited, most of the time they would eat outside since there will be no time for Kim to cook.

Troy and Kim’s bonding with Jessica turned out to be just a lunch bonding every Sunday after mass. Gerald would join them once in a while.

After a month Kim went back to work in her main branch in Quezon City, it was then that she was able to have more time with her family. At her third day back in her main branch, three big occasions has been booked for that month. Though she has her staffs she still has to do some works, which made her very busy. But she never took over time after office hours; her staffs would but not her.  She’d be busy running errands during daytime and would have to do some field works where she’d check where the event’s venue would take place and the like.

When at home she never fails to do her duty as a mom and a wife, she would still get Jessica to bed, read her bedtime story and would join her do her homeworks. When in bed with Gerald, they would talk about their day at the office and would end up teasing and seducing each other.

 

One afternoon when Gerald received an emergency call from Kim’s office saying that Kim was rushed to the hospital because of l bleeding and severe abdominal pain. Gerald left his office immediately and went to Saint Lukes. In five minutes he reached the emergency department.

“Nurse, I am Kim Anderson’s husband. Where is she?”

“Sir, she is being attended by her OB-Gyne right now, we will call you as soon as possible.”

Gerald sat on the bench in front of the room. He saw Kim’s staffs and asked them what happened. He learned that Kim just arrived from a meeting with one of their clients when she complaint of an abdominal pain and Lily one of the senior staffs noticed a blood flowing from her legs.

Ten minutes after when same nurse whom Gerald talked to earlier, came out and looked for Gerald. He stood and went near the emergency door immediately.

“Sir, the doctor would want to talk to you. Please come inside.”

Gerald was led to Kim’s bed and there he saw his wife with oxygen hooked to her, a device clipped to her fingernails to check for her oxygen saturation, she was changed into a hospital gown, and hooked to an IV fluid. She is unconscious and is very pale.

“Mr. Anderson, we need to do a minor operation real soon, we need your consent for the surgery.”

“Surgery? Operation? What happened doctor?”

“Mr. Anderson, Mrs. Anderson had a miscarriage.”

“MISCARRIAGE? How the hell did that happen? We didn’t even know she’s pregnant.”

“Mrs. Anderson is 8 weeks pregnant and just lost her baby. I am very sorry for that. I believe, she wasn’t able to feel and notice some signs, it’s normal in most women, usually, they’d feel the signs and symptoms later, not this early.”

“Well, what happened? Why did she lose our baby?”

“It might be related to some stress.”

“Oh no! She will be very depressed once she learned about this.” He brushed his hair with his fingers and sighed.

“Mr. Anderson I understand  what you feel, you just lost your baby but we need to do the operation as soon as possible, she lost some blood and we are afraid she might continue to lose blood, we need you to sign a consent for the operation.”

After the explanation how would the procedure be, Gerald signed the consent and called his parents. He texted Jemma to take care of Jessica for the mean time.

Gerald with his parents waited at the waiting area of the operating room. Forty minutes after when the OB-Gyne came out of the OR.

“Doc, how is she?”

“She’s in the recovery room now. We had to hook a 350ml blood infusion to replace the lost blood. She will be fine as soon as she’ll recover from the anesthesia. In four to six hours, she will wake up. We will transfer her to the private room in two hours.”

“Thank you doctor.”

“Okay, I will see you later.”

 

It was already past midnight when Kim woke up feeling dizzy. Gerald never left her side.

“Honey, why am I here? What happened.” Kim looked around; she saw the IV fluid hooked to her arm.

“Honey, just get some rest, you are in the hospital.” He kissed her forehead.

“I can remember having abdominal pain and bleeding…”

Gerald is teary eyed; he doesn’t know how to tell her.

“Ge, why? Anong sakit ko? Why are crying honey?”

“Honey, you just had a miscarriage.”

“Miscarriage? How?”

“Kim, you’re 8 weeks pregnant and lost the baby.”

“Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????? NOOOOOOOOOO! That is not true! No! You’re lying! Please tell me the truth. That’s not suppose to happen if I know I am carrying our baby.”

“Ssssssshh..” He hugged her. “Honey, calm down, you need to rest.”

Kim couldn’t stop crying. “What happened Ge? Totoo ba ang sinabi mo?"

He nodded. “I am very sorry honey.”

“Nooooo! Please, tell me it’s not true.”

“Honey, we can always have another one. It pains me to see you this way.”

“Noooooooooo! Ge, noooooo! This isn’t happening! How come I didn’t even get any sign that I am pregnant? I should have rested if I knew,I should have taken care of the baby.”

“I know, I know, it’s not your fault honey.”

“What are you talking about? Of course it is all my fault. I have been working so hard that I wasn’t able to notice the signs, Ge I should have taken care of the baby. Sana hindi siya nawala, I am so sorry! Kasalanan ko lahat ito.”

He sat beside her and let her head rest on his chest while she cries, she keeps blaming herself.

“Honey, listen to me, it’s not your fault okay? We may have lost our baby, but we still have Jessica, we still have each other, and we could still make another baby if you wanted to.”

“We still lost a baby! And it’s all my fault! The baby should have given the chance to see his daddy, his ate, his lolo and lola, his tita, he could have seen how beautiful this world is.” She keeps on crying while he rubs her back.

“Sssssshhh, honey. Don’t blame yourself, please. You still need to rest.”

Kim doesn’t want to rest and still is blaming herself. So Gerald decided to stay a few more days in the hospital. Kim doesn’t want to eat so she didn’t get rid of the IVF until she was released from the hospital a week after. She doesn’t want to talk to anyone, since she got home. She would just stay at their room; Ge had to get a leave from work to take care of his wife and daughter. Mommy Vangie even stayed with them for a few days to help. Gerald has been a worried husband since they got home from the hospital, he would always join her wife in the room but Kim still doesn’t want to talk to him nor to anyone, not even her daughter, Jessica. Jessica would ask her daddy what’s going on and Gerald would just answer her that her mom’s is sad because of their loss. Jessica has been also very disappointed about the loss of her little brother but she never hated her Mom.

Until after 3 weeks, Kim had finally talked to Gerald. Gerald found her packing when he entered their room one morning.

“Hon, what are you doing?”

“I am packing.”

“I can see, but for what?”

“Ge, I need to go away.”

“Okay. We will come with you.”

“Oh no! I need to do this alone.”

“No! I can’t let you, Kim we will do this together.”

“Ge, please. Just let me do this alone. I need to think.”

“Kim, I can’t let you do this, you need someone.”

She looked at Gerald and finished packing. “Hon, I need this, just please let me, I promise I will call you as soon as I’m ready to face the world again, to continue with life.”

He sighed. “Honey, just atleast let me know  where are you going.”

“I can’t!”

“Then I will not let you go. We need you here Kim, your daughter needs you.”

“Gerald, I need this in order to be your wife again, to be Jessica’s mom again.”

“Kim….I..”

“Please Ge, just let me do this.”

“Okay okay. But promise me, you won’t hurt yourself.”

“I promise!”

 

Kim left for Batangas alone, she took the cab and went straight to a beautiful huge resort her parents gave her. She never told Gerald about this resort, she kept this to herself, having the reason that one day she’ll need alone time and this is the perfect place for her to think. No one knows about this resort, just her and her parents.

Kim kept herself pre-occupied by helping everyone in the resort. The resort is huge, ten-storey hotel, pools all over, a three-minute walk to the beach, complete with all the amenities. Kim stayed in the presidential suite. For the first few days, she will just stay at her room, or sometimes early in the morning after sunrise, she’d walk to the beach and would stay at her comfort place, just enjoying the cold breeze. For the days she’s staying there she didn’t think of anyone, not even Gerald nor Jessica. She still blames herself, she still cries herself to sleep. Day by day, she’s feeling better. Until after a week, as she was walking to the beach, she found her comfort place occupied, a woman in her 50s is sitting on the bench where Kim usually sits when she’s there. The woman is close to apathetic, not when Kim sat beside her on the bench. The woman looked at her and tried to smile. Kim smiled.

“I am sorry for interrupting.” Kim politely said.

The woman looked at her once more. “It’s fine sweetheart. I am Myla.” She smiled, this time her smile is much more than a trying hard smile, warmer and accommodating.

“Hello po, I am Kim. I can see you’re alone here.”

“Call me Tita Myla honey. I love it here. I’m sorry; did I just take someone’s comfort place?”

“Oh, not that I mind.”

“Kim, isn’t nice to be alone sometimes?” Myla looked at the beach.

Kim looked at her. “Well, that’s the main reason why I am here, to have some alone time.”

“You love being alone?”

“Not all the time.” Kim faked a smile.

“Okay, tell me, why are you here?”

Kim sighed. “I don’t know. I guess I wanted to think, I wanted to be alone and figure things out.”

“Hmmm, What exactly’s bothering you?”

“I just lost a child, a month ago and it’s all my fault.”

Myla sighed. “Honey, what happened?”

“I am not even aware that I was pregnant, until I woke up one day and was already in the hospital, the next thing I know I already lost my child.”

“Kim, such things happen sometimes. I know it’s really hard for you. But I guess you still have someone left for you? I believe that’s the most important part of the challenge.”

“Yeah, I still have my husband and daughter.”

“Great honey! Are you with them right now? I mean atleast I thought you came here at this place with them.”
 

“No, I’m literally alone here right now.”

“Why?”

“Well. I still feel guilty about our loss. My husband has been the most excited person if happened that he learned we’re going to have a baby. My daughter’s wish for her birthday is to have a baby brother. But I failed them.”

“Sweetheart, let me tell you why I am here.”

Kim looked at Myla and sensed her seriousness. She nodded, Myla started her story.

“Three months ago, me and my husband together with our three kids were driving to our rest house in Ilocos for a summer break. We were very excited because we’ve been planning for that vacation for so long, when we were halfway there, our car was hit by a truck. I don’t know what miracle brought me here right now that I am still alive, I was the only one who survived the accident.”

Kim was shocked. “I am very sorry to hear that.”

“So am I. And now, I feel like ‘do I still want to live? What for? For whom?’ Kim, you still have your family with you, life is short. We don’t know when our time is, so why not treasure every moment that you’re together as a family. I am not saying that you forget about your baby who just left, what I’m trying to say here is that, give importance to those who are left here with you. You can have another baby if you want, jiha you are still young.”

“Tita, I am sorry to hear you loss. I mean, I don’t know what to say.”

“I know honey, it’s hard, really. I feel like I don’t have someone to live my life for, everybody’s telling me that life must go on. I don’t know, really! It’s just that, ah! It’s hard.”

Kim doesn’t know what to say, instead she hugged Myla so tight and both cried together.

“Honey, call your husband. This is a nice place, why not ask them to join you here, and instead of being so sad, enjoy the place.”

Kim smiled. “Please let me know whatever you need here at the resort. Sagot ko po lahat.”

“oh no sweetheart, I’ve been staying here for almost a month now. I got it all taken care of. I just wanted you to enjoy your family.”

“Of course I’d also like to help you, Tita. I will call my husband and I’d love to have dinner with you, with my family.”

“I’d love that, Kim.”

Kim and Myla, went back to the resort, Myla gave her contact number to Kim including her room number.

Kim called Gerald that night, and she was crying while he talks to him on the phone.

“Honey? Thank God you finally called!”

“Hon, I’m sorry.”

“Kim, what’s wrong? Why are you crying honey?”

“Ge, puntahan niyo na ako dito.”

“Of course. Please don’t cry honey, we’ll be there as soon as possible okay?”

“I love you and Jessica so much.”

“I know, we love you too. I am glad you called. Kim please stop crying, I hate it that I am not there to hold and comfort you.”

They talked until Kim finally stopped crying. She gave him the address of the resort and he promised to be there with Jessica the next day.

The next day, Gerald woke Jessica up very early, got ready and left home. It was ten past seven when the father and daughter reached the resort. Gerald is carrying the excited Jessica while they asked for Kim at the front desk when Gerald’s phone rang. He smiled before answering knowing that it’s Kim.

“Hon, we're here at the lobby.”

“Wait up, I’ll be there in a minute.”

Gerald and Jessica’s trying chase each other while waiting for Kim. At this early, Jessica’s energy is at the maximum level. While they were running at the lobby, Kim watches them. She realized how she loves her husband and daughter, how lucky she is still, despite the loss. Jessica was the first to see Kim.

“Mooooooooommmmy!” she ran towards Kim while Gerald followed his daughter.

Kim carried her and she hugged Jessica so tight. “Oh I miss you sweetheart.”

“I miss you Mommy!” Jessica peppered Kim with her kisses.

Gerald went near them and kissed Kim’s forehead. “I missed you, honey!”

Kim looked at him and held his left cheek. “I missed you too hon.”

Gerald got Jessica from Kim.

“Come on, let’s have breakfast first.” Gerald put her right arm around Kim’s waist while he carries Jessica on his left and they walked to the resto.

While they were assisted to their table, Kim saw Myla. “Tita Myla!”

Myla looked to where Kim was and smiled.

“Hon, just a minute.” Kim went to Myla.

“Tita, halika ipapakilala kita sa mag-ama ko.”

Myla looked at Gerald who is still carrying Jessica. Kim pulled Myla to their table.

“Hon, this is Tita Myla, I met her here at the resort. Tita, this is my husband Gerald and our daughter Jessica”

Gerald put his daughter down. “Hello po, nice meeting you.”

“Hi Gerald, it was nice to meet you too. And your little girl is very pretty.”

“Sweetie, give tita Myla a hug.”

Jessica went to hug Myla.

“Naku Lola na ang itatawag mo sa akin. Ang ganda gandang bata ng apo ko.” She kissed Jessica and hugged her once more. Jessica just smiled.

“Tita, join us for breakfast.” Gerald invited.

“Huwag na mga anak, baka nakakaabala pa ako.”

“Tita, please.” Kim pleaded.

“Alright, basta hindi ako nakakaistorbo ha?”

“Of course not Tita, please join us.”

They get settled and ordered for food. After eating the family of three went swimming. At dinner, they again invited Myla to join them. They stayed there for a week then went back to Quezon City after. Kim and Gerald talked to Myla the night before they left the resort, their convincing powers were tested for them to be able to get a yes from Myla, to manage the resort. They also promised to visit her as often as they could.