Chapter Three

Love Brings Change

 

Second week of school for Jessica, she’s enjoying it so far. Gerald visits the Nursery school more often than the last school year, one reason why ate Jemma teases him more. Thursday is Kim’s off from work; she took Jessica to her school and went to her friend’s place in Makati while she waits for Jessica’s dismissal. Every time she’d fetch Jessica from school, she’d hear things about Gerald. She is some kind of worried since Jessica might get used to it and can’t let go if the time comes that she has to. Since she adopted Jessica, she never entered into a relationship. She has the fear that Jessica might look up to her partner as a father figure and if they wouldn’t end up together and has to go separate ways, Jessica would be hurt. The only man, whom Jessica is close to, is with Troy.

Kim parked her car in front of the bench, where she usually parks for Jessica to be able to see her easily. Gerald parked next to her car.

Jessica is on her way towards the car when she saw Gerald. “Tito Gerald.”

Gerald locked his car and smiled at Jessica. Jessica went to hug Gerald, Kim saw the gesture. “You promised me an ice cream, didn’t you?” Jessica’s tiny arms are still around Gerald’s shoulders.

He smiled. “I did!”

Jessica beamed. “Can Mommy join us?”

Gerald looked to the side, he saw Kim. “Only if she’ll agree.”

Jessica turned to her mom. “Mommy, pretty please?”

Kim bent down, glanced at Gerald whose facial expression seems trying to convince her to say yes. She finally nodded.

Gerald smiled. “I know a place.” He smiled again.

“Okay.” Was the only word Kim has said.

He led them, he drives his car while behind him is Kim’s car, they drove for about five minutes going to Greenbelt 5.

Jessica is excited while they are walking then reached Gelatissimo. Jessica had her favorite chocolate flavor while Gerald ordered hazelnut. Kim refused to take a bite.

“Are you sure?” Gerald looked at her; Kim sat next to Jessica opposite to Gerald. She nodded. He offered his sorbet to her but doesn’t really want to taste. Gerald paid the check; they stayed there for five more minutes.

“I think, we have to go.” Kim stood up.

Gerald looked at her. “At least allow me to treat you for lunch then.”

Kim froze.

“Sweetie, aren’t you hungry yet?” Gerald asked Jessica.

The little girl nodded. “What would you like to eat?”

“Hmmm, how about Pasta and Pizza?” she grinned.

“Jessica!” Kim scolded her.

Gerald looked up at Kim who is still standing. “Kim, please…just this one. You have not eaten yet.”

 “Please Mommy.”

Kim sighed. “Fine..”

Gerald and Jessica looked at each other and smiled, celebrated their victory as they high fived. Kim just smiled, Gerald led them to CPK.

Gerald ordered for them. “Nauna lang ang dessert.” He laughed while Kim smiled.

They ate their pasta and pizza after the waiter served the food. Jessica saw a classmate in Nursery School, she asked Kim if she can go with her friend, Kim agreed. Gerald and Kim stayed at their table.

“Can I ask you something?” Gerald initiated the conversation.

She nodded.

“Where’s Jessica’s dad?”

Kim shook her head. “She doesn’t have, I am a single mother.”

“What happened to him?”

“Gerald, Jessica is my adopted daughter; I never had any child yet.”

Gerald is a bit surprised. “Wow. I thought she is your daughter, I mean biological daughter.”

She smiled. “I consider her as my own.”

 He admired her instantly. “You are a good mom, I can see.”

“Thanks.” She blushed.

Jessica enjoyed the company of her friend; Kim is already comfortable with Gerald. They exchanged stories, talked about how Kim adopted Jessica, about her work. While Gerald talked about his work and his mom who is an author of children’ books. He promised Kim to let her meet his mom one day, they also talked about ate Jemma, where Kim learned that she’s the owner of the Nursery school. He also asked her about Troy, Kim explained about her Friday schedule and told him about her best friend. At that short span of time, they felt like they already knew each other well. Jessica went back to them almost an hour after.

“How about dessert in Pinkberry?” Gerald offered.

“Oh no! That’s too much. Besides you already had the dessert ahead of time.” She was talking about the sorbet earlier in Gelatissimo.

 “But you didn’t have one.” Gerald insisted.

“Maybe, next time.” Kim refused.

“Alright, I will put that in mind.” He smiled, looked down at Jessica who seems to be sleepy.

“Honey, are you okay?” Kim asked Jessica.

“Come, Tito will carry you.” Gerald carried her, not so long when they reached the parking lot; Jessica is already asleep on his shoulders. Kim got her from Gerald. He waited for them to exit the parking before he got inside his car.

Gerald is lying on his bed that night; thinking how the events turned out to be this unexpected. He closed his eyes and all he can see is the image of Kim, he sees Kim giggling and laughing while they were chatting earlier at the resto. She is not just a great mom; she is also a smart, beautiful woman with humor.

After mass on Sunday, Kim and Jessica went to the Shangri-La Mall to eat at Sumo Sam. While waiting for the check, Jessica has been talking about Gerald again.

“Mommy, why don’t I have a daddy?” Kim hasn’t heard this question from Jessica before, she is still shocked.

“Can Tito Gerald be my daddy?” Jessica continued.

Kim swallowed. “Honey, don’t you love Mommy?”

“I do. But wouldn’t it be happier if we are family?” Kim is stunned, Jessica is thinking about these stuffs? She expected this moment to happen, but never did she expected Jessica to love Gerald that fast that she likes him to be her dad.

“Sweetie, Tito Gerald is a Tito. He can’t be your daddy.”

Jessica frowned. “Why not?”

“Because….it’s not just right.”

“Why don’t we ask Tito Gerald if he agrees?” Jessica smiled suggestively.

“Jessica, look, we’ve only known him for days.”

Kim would admit, she’s having a difficulty explaining. She sighed and found a breath of relief when Jessica got distracted at the waiter’s cap. She smiled briefly at the waiter who gave their check and the waiter tapped her head. The waiter’s wearing a party-like cap. After their lunch, they spent the rest of the afternoon at the mall, shopping, enjoying the hours left for that weekend, for tomorrow’s going to be a school and work day for them.

Gerald has been waiting for Monday, earlier than the last time he went to the Nursery School; he arrived at seven thirty, hoping that he could see Kim when she sends Jessica to her room. But when he got there, Jessica’s already in her room, Kim is nowhere to be found. Slightly disappointed Gerald went to Ate Jemma’s office.

At break time, he took Jessica with him at Ate Jemma’s office and had the chocolate muffins and strawberry shake delivered. Jessica loved chocolate, she enjoyed the snack. Ate Jemma’s eyes feasted on Gerald and Jessica’s exchange of sweet gestures as they eat and talk in between.

“Tito Gerald, can you be my daddy?”

Ate Jemma and Gerald looked at each other, both shocked. Jessica waited for Gerald’s answer. He nodded and murmured. “Of course.”

Jessica got up from the sofa and hugged Gerald, kissed his cheek. “Daddy!” she exclaimed. Gerald is still in the clouds while ate Jemma smiled at what she just witnessed. Gerald has to take Jessica back to her classroom to resume class.

Went back to ate Jemma’s office, still stunned. “What can I say, you just had a family.” Ate Jemma acted to be very proud of him.

 “Don’t you think this is a good idea? What would Kim say if she learns about this?”

“She will freak out.” Ate Jemma laughed.

“I think you have to talk to Kim about this.” she suggested.

Gerald is carrying Jessica as they exit the gate of school; Kim saw them so she got out of the car. Gerald put Jessica down and smiled at Kim. “Mommy, Daddy Gerald, Tita Jemma and I ate some chocolate muffins earlier.” She grinned.

Kim frowned. “Sweetie, can you get in the car while I talk to Tito Gerald.” She emphasized the word ‘tito’, Jessica climbed at the passenger’s seat and Kim closed the door.

“Gerald, how did that happen?”

Gerald frowned. “What?”

 “Jessica, calling you daddy.”

“Kim, what’s wrong with that?”

Kim’s tone changed, she sounds pissed this time. “What’s wrong with that? Gerald, hindi mo alam kung anong pinapasok mong gulo. Since Jessica met you, she never stopped talking about you. The last thing I’d allow is to get her feelings hurt.”

“Kim, I will not hurt her.”

 “Really?” she sounds sarcastic.

“Kilala ko ang anak ko, hindi lang props na daddy ang kailangan niya. She wanted a family- a Mommy and a Daddy. I know I couldn’t give her that. Pero wag mo naman sanang paasahin si Jessica.”

Gerald understands her. “Kim, I know it’s only been what? Few days since I met her, but believe it or not napamahal na siya sa akin. I know the possibilities and how far would this go, the moment I allowed her to call me that.”

 She looked at him. “I don’t think you’re ready for such responsibility, Gerald. You don’t have to do this; I know these kinds of responsibilities are the last on your priority list. Habang maaga pa,lumayo ka na sa anak ko, I will take care of this. She’ll soon forget about this and will move on.”

 “Kim…Please be considerate, I know you only wanted to protect Jessica, but...”

“Gerald, please be considerate! Pabayaan mo na kami, layuan mo na si Jessica.”

She went to the driver’s side, opened her door and got inside. Gerald was left standing, helpless while he watches them drive away.

“! Why did I let that to happen? I am so stupid.” He leaned on the wall.

“Kim’s just protecting her daughter, calm down Gerald.” Ate Jemma’s trying to calm him.

“Ate, she wanted me away from her, from them!”

“Gerald, let’s make this clear. You have no right to any of them. Be reasonable, hindi mo anak si Jessica at lalong hindi mo naman asawa o nobya si Kim.”

“I know.” He sighed.

“She thinks I am not serious about taking the responsibility, because she knew I am not into the idea of having a family yet.”

 “Exactly! Why the sudden change?”

 “I don’t know. Kapag kasama ko si Jessica, si Kim, it feels just right.”

Ate Jemma smiled. “You’re in love.” She concluded.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Is it end of the world yet? lol!

 

Keep safe!