Chapter One

Love Brings Change

 

Gerald Anderson, although sought independence too soon from his parents and lived alone, supported himself, was raised with so much love and caring by his family. After graduation, he took and passed the board exam and is now one of the best architects in town. After 2 years of working as a junior architect in the family’s company, his grandfather retired and gave him the real estate company. Gerald was able to do a great job, that after a year of taking over as the owner and CEO, the business has been more progressive.

Kim Chiu was raised by a loving Filipina lola in the States. Although althroughout her life was spent in the States, she wasn’t ignorant of the culture of the Philippines, her parents’ native land. She speaks Tagalog fluently, she got Filipino friends in the States and her bestfriend Troy is a Filipino whose family visits States every six months. She was at a very young age of 8 months when her parents died in a car accident in California. Being the only child, she was left with all the properties and money of her parents. Her lola died 6 years ago, so she decided to take the risk of living in the Philippines, with the help of Troy a year after her grandmother’s death. She was able to invest in a business that she loves doing after a few months. Troy has been her source of strength especially during her first adjustment year in the Philippines. And when she was able to discover the orphanage where she met Jessica, she felt even happier.

“Honey, are you ready?” Kim is on her bended knees, fixing her daughter’s uniform.

Its Jessica’s first day in school. At her very young age of four, she is very eager to learn. At 3 years old, she already knows how to write her name, she recites the alphabets and sings the nursery rhymes with Mommy. Kim loves to teach her, and Jessica is a fast learner.

“Yes Mommy.” Jessica gave out her widest grin.

“Then, let’s get you to school.” Kim took her right tiny hand as they walk towards the car.

When they reached the Nursery School, Kim reminded Jessica about their rules. “Remember sweetie, rule number one is…?”

Jessica smiled before she answered. “Do not talk to strangers.”

“That is right honey, and what’s number two rule?” Both recited rule number two in chorus. “Mommy loves Jessica.” Then both giggled.

Kim walked her daughter to her classroom. Jessica’s teacher held her hand and smiled at Kim.

“Hi Mommy, I am teacher Allie.” Kim smiled at teacher Allie and looked down at her daughter. “Hello teacher Allie, please take care of my baby.”

"Our job ma'am!" Teacher Allie answered wearing the widest grin she can make.

After kissing Jessica, Kim left the Nursery School and drove to her work.

 

At ten in the morning, Gerald got a call from his ate Jemma. She is inviting Gerald for lunch. “Okay ate, I will pick you up at eleven AM.” Then he ended the call and focused on the papers that he has to study.

Ten minutes before ten when Gerald left his office in Quezon City and drove to Makati. Anticipating a heavy traffic, he has to leave early. At exactly eleven, he parked his car in front of the Nursery School and walked towards ate Jemma’s office. Her Ate Jemma owns the Nursery School, like their mom she too loves kids and came to the idea of putting up this school 5 years ago.

“Gerald!” ate Jemma got up from her office chair and hugged her brother.

Gerald looked around. “Ang ganda na nito.”

Ate Jemma smiled. “This is what I love to do, Ge; I wanted this to be the best for these kids. Their parents are paying a big amount of money, so their kids deserve to have the best.”

“I know you’ll do great on this, and you really did more than what I have expected.” He is still looking around the building and can see the kids running, as they exit from their respective classrooms.

Ate Jemma got her bag and locked her office. “Dismissal..” as she looked at Gerald who’s looking at the kids. “Gerald, when are you going to have your own?” she suddenly got serious.

Gerald rolled his eyes. “It is not in my priority list, ate. You know that!”

They started walking towards his car. “Ge, you are not getting any younger. Get out of your office, leave the paper works and meet some women.”

Gerald looked at his sister. “Ate, when are you going to stop telling me about meeting someone?”

“Until you finally meet the right one, Ge.”

He shook his head. Ate Jemma did the same.

When they reached his car, almost all the kids disappeared and were collected by their parents. Gerald opened the door for his Ate. He was about to get in the car when he noticed a little girl sitting on a bench next to where he parked. “Ate, just a minute.” 

Gerald went towards the little girl. Jessica keeps repeating “Rule Number one: Do not talk to strangers. Rule Number two: Mommy loves Jessica.” while she restlessly taps her fingers on her lap.

“Hi there little girl.” Gerald sat beside her. Jessica was startled and looked up to him.

“Hi, why are you still here?”

Jessica keeps shaking her head and doesn’t talk.

“I am a friend, don’t be afraid.” Gerald, although isn’t open to the idea of having a family yet, loves kids, just like his mom and sister.

Once again Jessica shook her head but opened . “Mommy doesn’t want me talking to a stranger.” She hesitantly answered.

“Oh, of course. You shouldn’t be talking to people you don’t know. By the way, I am Gerald, now that you know my name I think it’s time for me to know what’s your name?” Gerald offered his right hand for a hand shake.

Jessica just looked at his hand. “Jessica..” she shook his hand.

“Wow, such a beautiful name. Why are you still here?”

Jessica never looked away, she’s still looking at him. “Mommy should be here by now.”

Ate Jemma went to where they are, to check what’s taking him long. “Hi sweetie.” She bent down.

Gerald looked at her ate. “Wala pa ang sundo.”

Ate Jemma was about to get in the school to look for teacher Allie and teacher Mila when teacher Allie appeared.

“Jessica? Mommy isn’t here yet?” Teacher Allie regarded Jessica. Jessica shook her head.

“Ma’am, Sir, I will keep this little girl a company until her mom arrives.

“Thank you Allie.” Ate Jemma walked towards the car.

“It was nice meeting you.” Gerald held her tiny left hand and smiled at her, Jessica smiled at him in response.

Kim got caught into traffic from her main branch in Quezon City going to Makati so she wasn’t able to arrive at Jessica’s school on time. Five minutes since Gerald and ate Jemma left, Kim arrived.

“Oh honey, I’m sorry..Mommy’s late.” She hugged Jessica.

“Teacher Allie thanks for keeping my baby a company.” Teacher Allie smiled and bade her goodbye.

Kim and Jessica sat at the bench while she explains to her daughter why she’s late.

“Honey, I am so sorry. Are you okay?”

Jessica nodded. “Mommy, I met someone.”

“From your classmates?” Kim smiled.

“Nope.”

Kim frowned. “Then who?”

“His name is Gerald.”

“Gerald? Who is he?”

Jessica smiled. “I don’t know. But I think he’s nice. He keeps me company before teacher Allie came.” 

Kim got worried. “Honey, didn’t I tell you not to talk to strangers?”

“Mommy, he is not a stranger, he gave me his name. We shook hands and he told me he is a friend.”

“Jessica, just promise Mommy you don’t do it again.” Jessica nodded.

“Okay come on baby, we need to get something for you to eat, are you hungry?” Jessica nodded.

Kim drove to a hotdog stall near the school. She took Jessica with her at work,after.

Gerald drove ate Jemma to her place after their lunch.

“Hey, I think you’ll make a good father.”

Gerald frowned. “What are you talking about?”

Ate Jemma smiled. “The little girl earlier.”

“What about the little girl?” he seems clueless.

“Oh come on Gerald, you seem to be at ease in dealing with kids.” He rolled his eyes.

“Ate, kukulitin mo na naman ba akong mag-asawa?”

“I told you, I won’t stop until you meet the right one.”

He kissed her instead, to cut the conversation.

“I need to get back to the office. Puntahan kita sa school whenever I can.” Then he left.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yey! Was able to come up with a chapter, such an achievement! Been feeling so lazy these days that I'd only want the ideas coming, stay in my mind. Lazy , indeed! lol! Let me know if I'm boring you.

 

Have a great day! :)