Chapter Four

Love Brings Change

 

Jessica is distracted since the class started, the next day, she hasn’t seen Gerald yet. She finds that unusual since he would always visit their class or would take her to Jemma’s office during merienda break.

All of the pupils from Teacher Allie’s class exited the room except for Jessica.

“Jessica, something wrong?”

Jessica is about to cry. “Teacher, why didn’t my daddy come today?”

 Teacher Allie went to comfort her. “Sweetheart, did he tell you he’ll come?”

“He always does. But not today, do you know why? I miss him already.” She started crying and won’t stop.

Teacher Allie decided to take Jessica at Ate Jemma’s office.

Ate Jemma noticed her tears. “Sweetie, what’s wrong?”

“Tita, where is daddy Gerald?”

“Is that why you are crying?”

Jessica nodded. Jemma instructed Teacher Allie to call Kim. Teacher Allie got her list from her bag and looked for Kim’s contact details. She dialed Kim’s cell immediately after she retrieved the number.

Kim came running to Jemma’s office. Jessica is still crying when she saw her daughter.

“Honey, what happened?”

Jessica cried even more. “Mommy, daddy Gerald didn’t come to see me.”

Kim looked at Jemma.

“I tried calling him, but he’s not answering. Guess he’s on a meeting.”

Kim smiled politely. “It’s okay ate, I will take care of this.” Kim carried Jessica.

“Ahm Kim, just in case you needed something, call me.” Jemma gave her calling card. Kim smiled at her again and left with Jessica.

Kim didn’t go back to her office after fetching Jessica; she took her daughter to eat lunch at Greenbelt. But Jessica did not eat any. She keeps on crying, that made Kim worry.

“Honey, you need to eat. Please…”

“No! I want daddy!”

Kim sighed. “Baby, please… Mommy doesn’t know what to do anymore. Just eat, please…” she murmurs.

“Daddy!” she cried even more.

Kim took her home. Jessica never stopped crying. Kim finally decided to call Jemma. “Ate, I am sorry to disturb you.”

 “Kim, it’s okay. How’s Jessica?”

Kim sighed. “She doesn’t want to eat nor stop crying, she keeps on asking for Gerald.”

“Kim…what do you have in mind.”

“I have no choice, I don’t want to see my daughter like this. Ate, magagalit ba si Gerald kung ibibigay mo sa akin ang phone number niya?”

Ate Jemma smiled on the other line. “Ako na ang bahala kay Ge. I will forward his number.”

“Thank you.” She hangs up.

Gerald is about to leave his office when his phone rang, number is unknown. Usually, he doesn’t take unknown calls; but with this call, he felt the need of answering so he did. “Hello?”

“Hi.” Kim murmurs.

“Yes?”

“Gerald, si Kim..”

Gerald was surprised. “Kim..something wrong?” he sounds casual but worried.

“Si Jessica…”

“What happened to Jessica?”

 “She’s looking for you, she doesn’t want to eat, sleep and didn’t stop crying..Hindi ko na alam ang gagawin ko.” She sounds worried.

 “Nasaan na siya?”

“Nasa kwarto niya.”

“Okay, give me your address and the unit number. I will be there in a few.” Kim gave the address.

After 20 minutes, a knock from Kim’s condo unit is heard.

“Hi” he smiled nervously.

“Hi” she responded.

“Are you okay?”

Kim shook her head. “Come in.”

Gerald followed her as he guided him inside.

“Si Jessica?”

“She’s in her room.”

Gerald looked at her. “Kim, are you sure you’re okay? Have you been crying?”

She sighed. “Ngayon lang kasi naging ganyan si Jessica. She never asked for a daddy before.”

Gerald is struggling if he’d hug her or not, instead, he held her left arm.

“I am sorry, please don’t cry.” Kim faked a smile while tears flooded her face.

She led Gerald to Jessica’s room. Jessica’s eyes got wide when she saw Gerald.

“Daddy?” she got up from bed, wiped her tears and ran towards Gerald. Kim gave them room to talk; she went back to the kitchen.

“Daddy!!” she hugged him.

Gerald knelt down then wiped her remaining tears. “Why are crying?”

“Why didn’t you come to my school, daddy?”

“Sweetie, I’m sorry. I have a lot of works at the office.” He lied.

 Jessica frowned.

“Jessica, promise me not to do this again, okay? Listen, you might not see me often but I will always be here.” He lifted his right hand to her heart.

 “Do you like Mommy feeling sad?”

Jessica shook her head. “No..”

 “Then sweetie, don’t do this again. You have to eat, your Mommy loves you so much, if you’ll not eat, she’ll feel sad. Do you want that to happen?”

“No, I’m sorry daddy.” Gerald hugged and carried her.

“You have to eat, okay?”

Jessica’s face lit up while she smiles. “Yes.”

“Good girl..”

He carried her to the kitchen. Kim smiled when she saw them; her daughter is smiling, first time that day.

“I think, this little girl wanted something to eat.” Gerald smiled and looked at Kim then to Jessica.

“What do you want to eat honey? Come.” Kim pulled a chair for Jessica, Gerald put her down to her seat and took the seat beside her.

“Anything Mommy.” She smiled.

“Okay, I had this ready earlier.” She got the plate of baked chicken from the oven and served it.

Gerald looked at the food. “Wow! Yummy!”

Kim smiled at him. “Jessica’s favorite.”

Kim went back with a bowl of pork adobo and steamed rice with her. Kim is allergic to chicken, her favorite is pork adobo, incidentally, it’s also Gerald’s favorite. They ate with gusto.

Gerald put Jessica to bed after dinner. He read her favorite bedtime story and was able to sleep in no time. He closed the door and went to find Kim in the dining area.

She prepared a tea for them. “Tea?”

Gerald took the seat opposite to her. “Yes, please.”

She gave him a cup of tea.

“Thank you.”

The room was filled with silence for a minute, that was broke by Kim as she started a conversation.

“Gerald, thank you.”

Gerald smiled at her.

“Jessica wanted a family, I know I can’t give that to her. Darating yung panahon she’ll hate me for that.” She continued.

“Kim, don’t say that. Mahal na mahal ka ni Jessica.”

 “But I think she loves you more.” Kim smiled.

“Ano bang ipinakain mo sa anak ko ha?” her question lighten the mood.

Gerald smiled again. “Kim, anong ikinakatakot mo? What’s wrong with Jessica calling me daddy? Ano ngayon kung ituring niya akong daddy niya?”

“Gerald, alam ko busy kang tao. You have your own priorities, ayoko lang naman na abalahin ka pa. Ang perception ni Jessica sa pagkakaroon ng isang pamilya,ay yung magkakasama..yung mommy, daddy at siya sa iisang bubong. Siguro hindi pa niya naiisip yun ngayon, pero matalinong bata si Jessica, sooner than later magtatanong yan. Handa ka ba sa ganung set up?”

Gerald is stunned. “Bakit hindi natin subukan. Sa ngayon, hayaan muna natin ang mga bagay bagay, saka na natin problemahin kapag nagtanong si Jessica kung bakit hindi tayo sa iisang bubong nakatira. Kim, I can control my time at work, to be with Jessica para maramdaman niya na meron talaga siyang daddy. I understand, you have fears but I hope you can trust me with this. I know it’s only been weeks, pero napamahal na ako kay Jessica. I know I’ve told you about my priorities, but people change..Pwedeng kahapon gusto ko ng strawberry ice cream tapos ngayon, vanilla ice cream na ang paborito ko.”

Kim laughed. “I don’t know if this is a good idea, pero kilala ko ang anak ko. Ngayon ko lang siya nakitang ganito.”

 “So pumapayag ka na?”

“Gerald sigurado ka ba? She might be very demanding, lalo na sa time.”

Gerald held her right hand on the table. “Hawak ko ang oras sa trabaho. I can adjust, pero syempre kelangan ko din ang tulong mo. We’ll do this together.”

Kim sighed and nodded. “Then, we’re set.”

Gerald gave her widest smile. They talked about the arrangements before Gerald said goodbye.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

This is going to be a super fast story telling! lol! 4 chapters left, hope I can finish this before Pasko. 

 

Lovely evening to all! :)