The Taste of Green Mint Tea (Part Final)

The Taste of Tea

Drabble-schmabble. Had too much fun writing this I forgot it was supposed to be a drabble :)) 

 


 

 

Noona's loud clap echoed throughout the Taek Won Do room, signaling for the students to stop their painful drills. Finally, after what would seem like an eternity filled with torture, her students stood on both feet, holding onto the wall as they took a breather.

 

"What, don't tell me you're tired?" ridiculed Noona, standing at the center of the room with her arms crossed and eagle eyes observing her exhausted students.

 

"Ehhhh?" they weakly said in unison, heavy pants accompanying their words.

 

"Morons," Noona taunted, smirking deviously, "I was just joking. Our time's up, you know." She chuckled at them as they pouted and whined.

 

"Can't take a joke," she muttered, scratching her nose. "Anyway, it's time for cool down, so go to your places." Tired and demotivated by Noona's constant teasing, her students trudged to their respective spots on the mat, dragging their feet behind them. "Faster!" Noona ordered, to which they complied.

 

"Well then, it's your turn, Se Hun," she said, smiling at me and patting my shoulder.

 

Ah, right, I was her assistant. I reminded myself. It had been nearly two months since I got enlisted in Noona's class, and two months since I started working as her sidekick for the 10 am-12 pm class. Like me, Kris-hyung belonged to the first class; however, because I found his presence annoying (no offense, Hyung, but you steal Noona's attention from me), I had volunteered to sit in during the second class. Of course, that also meant that directly after the session, Noona and I would head straight for the nearest bubble tea cafe to have a drink.

 

"See you next week, Se Hun-ssi, Sah-bum-nim!" the last girl greeted before exiting the room.

 

Even though the first impression she gave was downright scary, Noona was a teacher most of the students learned to like. They came to understand why she was strict, and eventually found her normal, cynical self interesting. And although she made them suffer with her endless drills and work-outs, at the end of the day, the students bid her goodbyes with smiles on their faces. Noona, of course, could only offer them her usual, half-hearted grin and waved them off.

 

"Uh, yeah, bye!" I replied in behalf of not only myself, but of Noona as well. Before completely disappearing from our sight, the girl bowed slightly, her lips arched in a pleasant smile.

 

After a scolding from Noona, most of the girls stopped fussing over Hyung and me; insults from the guys ceased as well. They were smart to do that, because they're no match for my Noona (reinforced with Hyung's face). We were no longer bothered by stupid questions and stupid feelings and stupid, stuck-up dudes, and eventually became friends with our classmates—just like how a regular class should be. (I mean, just because Kris-hyung and I were in it didn’t mean that it had to be EXO-ordinary :P)  

 

"What's on your mind, kid?" Noona's question snaps me out of my thoughts as I feel a cold air near my cheek: she was holding my technicolored metallic thermos.

 

"Thank you~" I purred, gratefully taking it from her. In her other hand was her own thermos: a silver, plainer version of mine. I had bought it the day after the first class and asked her to use it. She had scolded me for wasting precious money on a jug she didn't need, but when she saw the aegyo I had instantly put on, she didn't think twice about giving in to my request.

 

Evil maknae is evil, but that's what I do best.

 

“Nothing much, just a bit tired.”

 

"Drink lots, all right, Se Hun?" she reminded. There she was again, treating me like a kid. But at that moment, I didn't mind because that only meant receiving special treatment from her.

 

"I will!" and proceeded to drinking my water.

 

After a few sips, however, my thermos was empty.

 

"What, already?" I complained, peeking at the hollow container. I swirled the thermos, checking if there was still any drop of water I could drink. The lack of sound implied there was none.

 

Noona, who noticed my problem, handed me her still full jug. Maybe she was just used to it, but not once did I see Noona take a sip of water over the course of the class. Despite the sweat dripping down her forehead, down to her chin and neck; despite her flushed cheeks and bloodshot eyes, Noona never took the time to drink. 

 

But, unfortunately, Oh Se Hun was selfish and currently very very thirsty, so without even asking her whether it was okay (the nerve, Oh Se Hun!), I took it in my hand, and quickly downed a few gulps. There was something amazing in Noona's water: it had a cooling aftertaste that countered the heat of my body. It glided smoothly down my throat, spreading the cold into my stomach.

 

"Ah~" I said, happy and satisfied. "Thanks a lot, Noona! What is this—"

 

"Hey, you guys are done!" Kris-hyung enters the room, hands in his pocket and looking as cool ever, as if he hadn’t struggled just a few hours ago (I don’t know what Hyung was thinking getting into Taek Won Do; he’s incapable of doing any sport other than basketball). It was apparent from his slightly wet hair that Hyung had just taken a bath.

 

Damn, Hyung, what's with your sudden appearance these days?

 

Well, all right, it wasn’t that sudden. He did tell Noona that he’ll be coming by later (which is now) so that they could talk about some of the dorm facilities that needed fixing (I don’t even know why that was their responsibility). Furthermore, Hyung liked to in Noona’s and my bubble tea escapades, so over the course of two months, I had painfully learned how to cope with Hyung’s presence in the bubble tea café.

 

There was an unexpected guest, however.

 

Following him was Xiao Lu, carrying a familiar gray polka-dotted tote bag.

 

Oh, the ‘more the merrier’—was it? Oh Se Hun is not happy!

 

“Hey,” he greeted, waving cheerfully at Noona and me. “You guys look tired!” he commented, laughing as he usually did.

 

Noona sighed, her eyebrows knitting together. “You have no idea. I really do hate that Mr. Kim for suddenly dropping out. I mean, who does that, right? You don’t just abandon your class on the first day—no matter how unruly they prove to be.”

 

“Unruly? Noona, I’m part of that ‘unruly’ class!” I complained, stomping my feet to show her my discontentment. The three of them chuckled in return, with Xiao Lu teasing me and patting my head.

 

“Big baby,” he taunted as he reached out to pinch my cheeks and stretch them.

 

I shook my head to evade his death grip. “Hyung—! The water might spill, back off!” I warned him, raising Noona’s jug. Bad idea, though, because Kris-hyung immediately noticed who owned it.

 

“Hey, what are you doing with her jug?” he questioned, eyeing the thermos in my hands. His gaze transferred to me, and I could only gulp in response to Hyung’s intense stare.

 

“Indirect kiss?” he suddenly says.

 

“…Indirect…kiss…?” Xiao Lu repeats with uncertainty. His lips are parted and his big eyes are blinking ever so slowly. I know that look—it was the exact same expression he showed when She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named revealed her stupid lies—resulting to a broken-hearted, desolate and worst of all, suicidal Hyung.  And as with Kris-hyung, I could only offer Xiao Lu a guilty frown. I’d like to tell him that it wasn’t what he thought it was, but I…

 

I didn’t want to.

 

“Indirect kiss?” It was Noona this time around. “What the hell?” she said, “I haven’t even touched my thermos. That doesn’t count!” she retorted and then pointed an accusing finger at Kris-hyung, “Kris, you assumer!”

 

Hyung chuckled, “Jeez, no need to get so defensive.”

 

Noona crosses her arms, “I wasn’t. I was merely saying that you are quick to jump to conclusions, right, Se Hun?”

 

I nodded absentmindedly, shifting my gaze from Xiao Lu to Noona’s thermos. My fingers began to tremble as thoughts flooded my mind.

 

Indirect kiss.

 

I bit my lip, the menthol aftertaste still strong in my mouth.

 

Had she taken a sip, even just once, then this would’ve counted.

 

Oh Se Hun was disappointed.

 

“You haven’t taken any water yet?” I look up to see Xiao Lu walking towards Noona. And although his question was supposed to sound concerned, the big smile on his face said otherwise. I have never seen him look so happy and relieved.

 

“Well, you know—“

 

“Noona,” I interrupt her. “Your water tastes good, why is that?”

 

You’re so selfish, Oh Se Hun.

 

Even if it’s Xiao Lu, it doesn’t matter.

 

Noona blinks owlishly at me, and gradually, a small smile forms on her lips. “Will you believe me if I told you that it was green tea?”

 

“…Eh?!” I exclaimed, examining the content of her jug. Indeed, it was green tea. How could I, the #1 hater of green tea, not notice it?

 

“It is!” I said, “It really is! But it tastes so good, Noona!”

 

“Se Hun, calm yourself,” she told me, snickering at my frazzled state. “I added a bit of mint extract. I’m glad you liked it.”

 

Happy that her attention was redirected towards me, I gave her a huge grin. “I definitely do!”

 

“You can finish that up, kid,” she said, shooting me a thumbs-up. “I know how thirsty you are.”

 

Eh?

 

I know how thirsty you are.

 

Eh?

 

Eh?

 

Ehhhhhhh?

 

My eyes widened at the sudden realization that Noona…Noona had…Because of me…Because I was…

 

Noona, you’re the best!

 

 ヽ(°◇° )ノ

 

But, calm yourself, man. Don’t be too eager, I reminded myself. If you keep on feeding her with your awesome most adorable the world’s number 1  aegyo, she’ll never ever see you as a man.

 

Therefore, Oh Se Hun, keep calm.

 

“You sure, Noona? Aren’t you—“

 

“Really, it’s no problem,” she reassured me, eyes turning to Xiao Lu. Her gaze travels down to the tote bag he was carrying. “Because it seems my roommate has brought me some water.”

 

Xiao Lu smiles in return, taking out Noona’s old thermos from the bag. He puts it against her cheek, letting her feel the cool, metallic surface. “You idiot,” he laughs as she squints her eyes in delight upon contact with the cold, “It’s because you have the tendency to get overexcited when it comes to Taek Won Do. I thought that tiny thermos wouldn’t be enough for you.”

 

…It’s not that tiny, Hyung.  

 

(;¬д¬)

 

“It’s not tiny, Lu,” Noona spoke, as if she just read my mind. “It fits me perfectly well.”

 

Hah!

 

“But thanks, Lu, this thoughtful side of yours never ceases to amaze me.”

 

Hyung answers with a blush and another smile, and opens her thermos for her.

 

Well, now, I don’t exactly know what to feel.

 

Bittersweet, was it?

 

“Se Hun, you all right?” Kris-hyung asked, realizing that I had gone silent as I watched Noona and Xiao Lu exchange stories; Noona was talking about today’s lesson (and Kris-hyung’s embarrassing slip from the earlier class).

 

“Uh, yeah, Hyung,” I replied, lying through my teeth.

 

“Just…peachy.” The cooling aftertaste, I realized, had completely dissolved and disappeared. 

 


 

Author's Note:

 

And here is the final part of The Taste of Green Mint Tea! 

 

A wild deer appears, too! 

 

Anyway, have you noticed? Whenever I write in Se Hun's POV, I insert a lot of emoticons. I feel that Se Hun is the type of kid who has a lot of internal monologues. Just imagine Sakura from Naruto :)) It also shows Se Hun's adorable side too >V< 

 

Well, EXO has finally comeback! I still can't believe that they're actually back. I have honestly lost all hope :)) What the most is that even though I'm not a big fan of the concept, I still went ahead and ordered the album. DAMN YOU, SM! DAMN YOU! On the bright, at least there'll be a drama version of the MV. I miss the old days where SM MVs were more than just dance videos. :( 

 

On a more negative note, however, I see that SM has once again failed to deliver a concrete connection between the MV concept and the album concept. I mean, seriously, SM, you can't give us teasers that have nothing to do with the actual MV -_- And if you're going to make a drama version with them as High School students, you could've at least let them use the uniforms they wore in the teasers -_- 

 

Way to go, SM. 

 

But still, damn you, because no matter what, I still love EXO. ;A; Sorry for the pointless rant again HAHA :))

 

So long for now! 

 

Thank you for reading and comment if you can!