The Taste of Bubble Tea

The Taste of Tea

 

Doesn't really focus on a specific kind of tea, but oh well. 



 

 

“Don’t even dare, Hyung!” I spat, slapping Chanyeol-hyung’s hand away. Immediately, he withdrew his hand, clutching it as he whimpered uncharacteristically, eyes bulging out and huge ears perking up. I continued to shoot daggers at him and everyone else, growling at anyone who even tried to touch my hair and pet me as if I were some pitiful street dog.

 

Stupid Jong-in began to laugh, telling me how “cute” I was in between his loud guffaws. In one long stride, I was in front of him, throwing punches at him. No, I don’t care if people would call me immature for this. Jong-in was the one who started it first with his stupid laughter and his stupid charisma and his stupid ‘cuz you’re the one in charge of aegyo’ logic.

 

That ain’t even logic, you bastard.

 

 Suddenly, I could feel my arms being pulled away from Kai, and against some people’s stomachs as they tried to pry me off of the stupid fool. I snarled in response and struggled, still clawing at Kai like an angry cat.

 

“Calm down, maknae!” Suho-hyung said, closing my hands into shaky fist to prevent me from scratching Kai.

 

My fellow ’94-liner stared at me, a half-amused, half-horrified look on his face. “Y-yeah, man, chill!” he stuttered, a habit he still couldn’t get rid of. “I c-can’t help it, you know. You kind of look…”

 

“Kim Jong-in, if you want to live, then don’t finish that sentence,” I threatened, letting out heavy breaths as I tried to calm down. When I did, Suho-hyung and Chanyeol-hyung finally let go, with the former patting and rubbing down my back. Still, I hissed, showing them how angry I was.

 

“It’s not funny if you were in my position, so shut up.”

 

~

 

I pulled down on my hoodie, covering as much hair as I could. I tucked the loose strands behind my ears—just to make sure that no strand would peek out of my only solace. Behind me, I could hear Yixing trying to stifle his laughter, voice light and girly. Kris beside me was doing the same (yes, even the voice, light and girly part). And honestly, if I weren’t in this predicament, I would’ve laughed at him and his oh-so sudden high-pitched voice (it was an ugly voice, by the way).

 

Baozi wrapped an arm around my shoulders, bringing me closer to him. I snuggled in his warmth, and he, in mine, as he comforted me. “Don’t worry about it, Lu Han,” he said, attempting to cheer me up, “Who knows? Maybe she’ll like it.”

 

“Like it?” I repeated, pulling away from him. “OH MY GOD, Baozi! I would rather die than for her to see me like this!” I cried, falling to the ground. Usually, I’m not this dramatic or pathetic or swift to change emotions, but anyone in my place would’ve felt the same thing. I started to play with the pebbles, drawing circles and other shapes, as I pondered on today’s events. I just couldn’t understand why they had to do this to me. I mean, why, of all colors, it had to be that? Couldn’t they understand that I wanted nothing more than to be perceived as manly and charismatic? But with this, I would just be a laughing stock. And the label flower boy would be permanently etched onto me.

 

I hate that label, damn it!

 

“Ge, you’re over-reacting,” Yixing commented, patting my back.

 

“I know, but it feels like the entire world has gone against me. What did I do wrong to deserve this?”

 

Kris bent down, “Maybe it’s a sign that you should finally confess to her,” he said, smiling knowingly.

 

I stood up instantly, hitting Kris in the process. His bony structure and my bony structure were a painful combination, as I felt his sharp chin strike my shoulder, and my elbows slam against his ribs. We both yelped in surprise, steadying ourselves and massaging our swollen areas.

 

“Sorry, Kris,” I mumbled, “But not yet.”

 

With that, I walked ahead of them, and entered the dorm.

 

To be greeted by a furious Se Hun seething at Kai.

 

Wait, since when did Se Hun have rainbow-colored hair?

 

~

 

“So let me get this straight,” Noona said, eyeing Xiao Lu and me. She crossed her arms and tilted her head. “The College of Music is going to have a collaboration show with the dance clubs in a few days?”

 

“And that’s why you,” she pointed at me, “Have rainbow-hair and Lu Han has pink hair?”

 

I nodded, cheeks bright red because of embarrassment. I couldn’t believe that I had to show this stupid hair to Noona. I knew it couldn’t be avoided since we lived under one roof, but I didn’t want it to be this soon. I covered my face, “Noona,” I whined, “I look horrible. I look like…like…”

 

“Like a unicorn vomited on you? Yeah, you do,” she finished, her voice monotonous as usual. I couldn’t tell whether she was amused or disgusted or both.

 

“And, Lu, you look like you’ve been given a color-blind hairdresser who mistook blonde for pink.”

 

“Please say no more,” Hyung begged. He put his hoodie back on, tugging on it to lower it as much as possible—enough to cover even his eyes. His cheeks, however, were visible and I could tell that they were the same color as mine. Unlike Hyung, I didn’t have a hoodie, so I tried to make do with what I had: my hands, and wrapped them around my head. The Hyungs started snickering, and on instinct, I barked threats at them.

 

“Stop it! If you were in my position, you wouldn’t be laughing, so stop it!” That only encouraged them though.

 

“, I hate you guys!”

 

In an instant, all forms of laughter died, and I was left with a bunch of shocked—hurt—Hyungs staring apologetically at Xiao Lu and me. I don’t care if my words hurt them, but I had enough of being treated like some sort of punching bag. Teasing was all right—because they were all just petty jokes and I knew they meant well—but this, I immediately grew sick of.

 

“Se Hun, take your words back.”

 

What?

 

All of a sudden, I could feel cold hands untangling my arms. Chilly fingers wrapped around my wrists in a firm grip, bringing my arms down to my side. I came face to face with Noona’s dull but sharp eyes. It was the same gaze that caused chills to run down my spine. “Take them back, Se Hun,” she said sternly, and despite the appropriate amount of distance that separated her face from mine, I could feel Noona’s warm breath—a total contrast to her cold palms. “I don’t want you cursing, and I don’t want you saying that about your Hyungs. Take your words back, Se Hun.”

 

“I…” My eyes wandered off to examine the Hyungs’ faces, and then, for a split-second, I noticed Xiao Lu’s small frown. I could tell that the existence of that frown had nothing to do with my words, but with Noona’s actions instead. “I’m sorry,” I whispered. When Noona heard my apology, she smiled at me and loosened her grip. She took a step back, let go of my left wrist, and transferred to my side, still holding my right wrist. Her icy fingers felt nice on my skin, sending tingles on my arm and spreading like wildfire in my body.

 

“I’m sorry, Hyungs,” I bowed.

 

Chanyeol-hyung rushed to me, enveloping me in his hug and assuring me that it was nothing to be sorry for. Everyone else followed suit, crushing me in one huge bear hug. Noona, of course, had escaped, her soft touch no longer on my wrist. When I started to complain on how much I couldn’t breathe, the Hyungs transferred their affections to Xiao Lu, and within a second, all of EXO was having a sappy group hug.

 

Noona was off at the side, kicking Chanyeol-hyung and Baek Hyun-hyung when they tried to invite her to our dome of clinginess.

 

“But you know, you guys really shouldn’t have laughed at them. I mean, Se Hun and Luhan are the only ones in your little group who could ever pull those off, you know?”

 

“Noona!” I called out to her, “So that means that Xiao Lu and I are the only ones you find handsome, right?”

 

And Noona, as enigmatic as ever, gave only a smile.

 

~

 

It was an hour after our abrupt burst of affection and brotherly feels, that I found myself growing hungry. I was on my way down the stairs when I heard Noona and Xiao Lu talking with each other. For some unknown reason, I plopped down on the step, clutching onto the bars as I hid behind them. Since I was still at the upper part of the staircase, Noona and Hyung wouldn’t be able to see me. I had a perfect view of their faces though.

 

Xiao Lu fiddled with his fingers, looking down and sneaking split-second peeks at Noona while she surfed through the channels.

 

There it was again: Hyung the awkward mess of awkwardness. I didn’t want to see it, but there was something that kept me from turning away.

 

“Hey, did you really mean that?”

 

Noona paused from her channel-surfing and turned to him, “Mean what? That I find you handsome?” Noona asked nonchalantly, oblivious to how much it would affect Xiao Lu. Noona blinked, continuously staring at Hyung with her no nonsense eyes.

 

Hyung’s pale cheeks grew pink, but he tried to hide it by switching to a tougher look (fail), scratching his nose and all. Hyung cleared his throat, “Well, what else could I be talking about?”

 

“Do you…want me to say ‘Yes, I did mean it’ ?”

 

Pink turned to red as Hyung’s eyes widened. He regained his composure in a split-second, however. “Well…Yeah. Because…” he stuck his tongue out, grinning sheepishly at Noona, “It would be nice to have my roommate say something great about me once in a while.” Whatever trace of embarrassment from Hyung’s face was gone in that instant, replaced by his pleasant chuckle and crinkled eyes that had all the girls swooning.

 

Noona chuckled in return, returning to pressing buttons on the remote.

 

“If you must know, I think you look handsome no matter what hairstyle or hair color you have.”

 

I stood up and marched downstairs, making my steps loud and clear for them to hear. Without any second thought, I walked towards Noona. “Noona,” I said, staring right into her eyes, “Let’s get bubble tea.” And again, without any second thought, without thinking about the consequences, I grabbed hold of her wrists, just as she had done to me, and pulled her up. I tugged on the hem of shirt, dragging her out the dorm. I paid no attention to Hyung’s calls, and even had the courage to tell him not to follow us.

 

We were already halfway through our short walk when I finally realized what I did, and when I finally realized that oddly, Noona had no qualms about my sudden actions. I turned to her, embarrassed and red and feeling awful and ready to apologize and take the hit, but she smiled at me and patted my head.

 

“Rainbow really does suit you, Se Hun,” she said, “But then again, any color, any style would suit you.”

 

Noona let me hold her wrist after that and off we went.