vii.

Illusory

“Oh, no, you can’t go out there.” You quickly blocked the door to your bedroom, your back resting on it as you spread your arms out. The person who not even a second ago said he was going to go raid your fridge for something to eat looked down at you, one eyebrow raised upwards.

“Why not?” Kyung asked as he frowned, not at all liking that he was being kept from food.

You wouldn’t have had to if they had only entered through the front door. Better yet, if they had entered through the front door at a more normal time rather than almost eleven at night. How were you supposed to explain this situation to your mother if she happened to come back from work while they were leaving your room? Or even explain why they were here in the first place? She didn’t exactly like them, all fourteen werewolves, for reasons that left you baffled. Plus, you were actually starting to joke around with her again. She had stopped cursing at you for a while now. You didn’t even want to imagine the fit she’d have if you were having a late night snack with them in the kitchen as though it were the most natural thing in the world.

You saw no reason to lie to Kyung then about why he couldn’t leave your room, “Because my mom doesn’t like you.” His eyebrows raised upwards in shock as to how anyone could ever dislike him.

“Really? She doesn’t like me, does she?” He looked towards the door, a conniving grin appearing on his face, “Well, she hasn’t met me yet. Now has she?” You scoffed at his words. He really hadn’t changed a single bit. If anything, he was even worse when it came to matters like this. Matters of timing.

He took a step forward, his hand reaching out for the doorknob again and you weren’t going to just let him do it. You pushed his hand away, still standing defensively in front of the doorway. His eyes narrowed as he was denied the right to leave the room once more. He locked eyes with you as he chewed down on the inside of his cheek once before breaking out into a smirk. A smirk that was beyond cocky. Beyond just the regular level of conceited confidence. And the regular level of conceited confidence for Kyung was quite above average.

“You know, I’m stronger than you. Much stronger.” He whispered as though stating a proven fact.

A fact that you thought to be true as well when you first fought against him during the training exercise last fall. That is, until you were able to effectively knock him to the ground with a head-. A head- that you felt the repercussions of immediately. But still, you had overpowered him in that moment. Looking back on it now, it made you believe that despite all of his newfound strength due to not taking Wolfsbane again, to setting out on controlling his transformations instead of fighting against them, you could still surprise him. You could still overpower him if you were clever enough.

This thought caused you not to back down as you leaned forward, effectively edging him on as you hinted to that memory from the past you two shared, “Oh yeah?”

He leaned forward, a mere three inches separating his nose and your own, “Yeah.” Your eyes traveled down from his carrot orange hair to his deep set eyes to his pouting lips and finally do this slim jaw. He had thinned down. Just like Sunggyu, he seemed more toned. Which in Kyung’s case was no good at all as it only served to further boost his arrogance.

And what happened next you expected. What happened next you were prepared for. His fingers wrapped around your right wrist and pulled it towards him, trying to physically twist you away from the door. You let him do it, knowing full well you wouldn’t have the strength to get out of his grip, and pivoted on your foot. Pivoted so that instead of being twisted away from the door, you twisted around 180 degrees and ended up facing the door, still blocking it, as your back showed itself to Kyung.

“You can’t.” You said again, your words firm. You heard Kyung laugh from behind you, amused and impressed by your quick thinking, and his hand slipped from yours as he took a step back. You breathed a sigh of relief that he had listened to your words and stopped being so tenacious.

“Hyunjoo, you can calm down. We’re not going to leave if you don’t want us to.” Jaehyo joked and you turned around, eyeing him as Woohyun and Kyung broke out into large smiles due to his words. You moved away from the door and took not even two steps forward when a blur brushed by you and the sound of click followed by another softer click from behind you caused you to flinch. You glanced over and stared at the door behind you, wondering if you were seeing things. Then, as you tilted your head out of confusion and turned back around, your eyes widened.

Jaehyo.

He wasn’t there anymore.

Instead, Kyung and Woohyun were grinning from ear to ear as they looked up at you, both now sitting on your bed, as though they were completely ignorant, innocent angels who had no idea what just happened.

And now you knew what that blur was that passed by you.

It was Jaehyo, using his now upgraded speed to pass by you.

Just like in the past, Jaehyo seemed to be one step ahead of you.

He always was the quick-witted one.

You snarled as you turned and opened the door to your bedroom, yelling his name as you ran down the stairs, “Jaehyo!” When you arrived at the bottom of the stairs, you saw him, sitting at the breakfast table in the kitchen as he peeled a banana that had been lying on the counter.

“Yes?” He asked nonchalantly, his eyebrows rising upwards. His fringe was so long now, his hair having grown in the time you hadn’t seen him, and it only accentuated his fox like features, sharpening the contours of his face.

You huffed a sigh because you couldn’t say a single word back to him. Because you didn’t have it in you to yell at him. Because just seeing him there, sitting in your kitchen not even ten feet away from you with that smug look on his face, made you forgive him.

“So then, what do we have in here?” Kyung’s voice came from behind you as he and Woohyun descended the stairs, seeing no reason to stay in your room any longer. He sauntered over to the fridge, his feet swinging back and forth as his took slow, animated steps towards it.

You couldn’t see it. You couldn’t see the smile on your face as Kyung asked if Jaehyo wanted some apple juice only to have Jaehyo stick his tongue out in rejection of the idea. As you watched them interact with wonder at how you were able to go a single day without the feeling of contentment you felt at this very moment. You couldn’t see it.

But Woohyun did. He was there beside you, a smile on his own face due to the contagious nature of your own. He could have stood there with you for longer. Much longer. However, he felt a pair of eyes staring at him. A pair of eyes that told him that now was not the time.

Jaehyo’s eyes staring at him as he bit down into the banana he had finished peeling, chewing slowly as his eyebrows furrowed downwards. He was conveying to Woohyun a silent message. A message that told him that the time for reunion had to be postponed for now. Because Jaehyo, always being able to read you like a book, see what you were thinking a mile away as it flashed in neon letters on your face, knew that something had dawned on you just now. That you were about to speak up and end the light hearted conversation they had engaged in until now.

“Where are the others?”

There it was. The question that caused Kyung to stand up straight, closing the door as his journey to find a midnight snack came to an end. The question that caused Jaehyo to toss his now empty banana peel into the garbage near the kitchen counter and sit up straight in his chair. The question that caused Woohyun to reach out and place his hand on your shoulder.

You looked at him, able to see the way his facial features contorted. How his previously cheerful eyes now seemed to hide something behind them. Something you couldn’t figure out just from looking at him. Something you could only figure out if he told you. If they told you.

“Where are they?”

You asked again and this time, Woohyun graced your question with an answer.

“With Zico.”

 

 

 

A light sigh echoed through the room. It escaped a petite woman’s mouth as she leaned against the window frame in the room and looked on at the woman in front of her. The woman whom she hadn’t seen since the woman left for this town of Springfield early last summer. She left for only a brief point in time. A time that was supposed to end after a full year’s cycle before she would return. But, as it stands now, despite that yearlong period coming to an end, she was not going anywhere. Not in the state she is now.

Lying down in this hospital bed.

Machines at her bedside that kept her alive and breathing.

“Tiffany.” The petite woman sighed again, her eyes closing as she felt the sun’s rays that peaked through the clouds outside hit her back, warming her so that she could fight against the cold that threatened to spread through her from her fingertips. The cold that threatened to overtake her as she watched her best friend, Stephanie Hwang, lying in a coma in a hospital bed.  She breathed in, the smell of antiseptic filling her lungs, before she exhaled and titled her head back, “Was it so important that this had to happen to you to make it happen? Was making her become involved that important?”

“It’s what they want.”

A voice spoke, catching the attention of the woman. There was a man with brown hair standing there. Two men with brown hair to be exact. One the exact mirror image of the other.

“You dyed your hair, Dae?” She whispered, towards the one on the right. The one she knew in an instant was Jung Daeryong, the older of the two. The one who used to have wild blonde hair with streets of pink or blue or both depending on his mood, which varied often.

“But, she got personally involved. That’s why she’s here now.” The other whom had spoken earlier, Jung Soryong, continued as he ignored her comment towards his brother.

Daeryong walked behind him, eyeing the showy hot pink and blonde hair that the young woman had, “Looks like you did too. I thought you said blue was in?”

She smiled in response whilst throwing him a glance that said they would talk about this, among other things, later. Then, she directed her attention back towards the stoic Soryong, “I suppose you two should be careful then.”

She laughed at the looks on their faces before she once more heard the beeping machines at Tiffany’s side fill the void of silence between the three of them. And she sighed again, her head dipping backwards as she took in more sunlight from the shining sun outside the window.

And she briefly wondered out loud a single thought, “I wonder if she feels this? The warmth of the sun on her skin. I’d rather she felt this then the cold-front that’s going to blow through from the north soon.”

 

 

 

They were with Zico. Dongwoo, Sungjong, Sungyeol, P.O., B-bomb, and U-kwon were with Zico. Where? You didn’t know. Why? You didn’t know. All of it would be explained, as Sunggyu told you he would. All of it. Here. Here at the building you were now at on this day after school. This familiar building with its reddish brown brick exterior that was covered by green as the plants had settled themselves in along the walls and beams of the building itself. This building that was the used-to-be-hunters’, Zico’s pack’s, home.

Why here though? Why had Sunggyu called you to come here? It was much farther away than his grandfather’s estate was from the center of town. Still, you came. Why would you? This was the werewolves you were talking about. The fourteen males who you felt closer to than anyone. There was no questioning whether or not to come.

You didn’t know what to expect to hear from Sunggyu once you entered. Didn’t expect what you would find out as you knocked on the wooden front door you had seen so many times in the past. That you had walked through without even knocking on it so many times in the past.

And you certainly didn’t expect that when it opened, you weren’t greeted by Sunggyu. Not by Woohyun. Not by Kyung or Jaehyo. Not by Hoya or Taeil or Myungsoo who, as you learned from Woohyun, were also here in Springfield.

You were greeted by a woman with long black hair. Long black hair that framed her fair skinned face. Her light orange tinted lips formed a straight line as she frowned at you. The gold sheen of her eye shadow above her black eyeliner caused her fierce eyes to mesmerize you. She was beautiful. No, rather than beautiful, she was stunning. Stunning because that’s what she did to you. She stunned you with not her looks but the way she carried herself. The way she carried herself that her looks were simply an accessory to. The way that she carried herself that screamed at you that she was the farthest thing from a Bang Minah. The farthest thing from a cutesy, pretty girl. That she was instead the rawness of the mystery woman with short brown hair you had met twice before and the poised charisma of Tiffany combined into one.

And she had a deep, husky voice that could rival the woman’s with short brown hair. A voice that in fact drew you in even more than that woman’s, “About time you got here, I was getting bored.”

And then, a voice you were much more familiar with spoke up from behind her and the familiar faces that were Hoya and Taeil appeared as they stepped into your view. A voice you recognized as being Hoya’s. And it seemed to be dripping with irritation as he introduced the woman who stood in front of you now.

“Hyunjoo, this is B-bomb’s sister, Jiyeon.”


A/N:

I'm even more excited for the next chapter now that a new character, B-bomb's sister, and another mystery woman has arrived (any guesses as to who this mystery girl is? I know some of you know!). Are you looking forward to what this means for the future? You should be~ 

Say hello to GLAM's Jiyeon everyone!

(She totally looks like B-bomb. The similarity is stunning in itself.)

Edit: GLAM's Jiyeon is not B-bomb's sister in real life. I simply found them to look so alike I couldn't help myself in adding her in.