x.

Illusory

“I want to get you in trouble.” You read out loud as you stared down at your notebook. Your notebook that laid out on your desk this day thirty minutes before homeroom started. The line itself infuriated you. Mostly because it was the only thing you could think about all of last night. You wanted to bang your head onto your desk from how frustrating it was. 

About how frustrating this was. This new Myungsoo. This new Myungsoo who smiled like a little kid. This new Myungsoo who had dimples. You literally did a double take when you saw them. At least, you would have if he hadn’t been so thrown off by his words. Those words that still floated into your mind and took over like a virus.

I want to get you in trouble.

All of this was ridiculous. You were so hung up on that one line. So hung up on what it even meant. And it made you uneasy. Exactly what would you get in trouble for? Surely, anything Myungsoo set out to do, he made happen. If he wanted to drag you out of the classroom, he did, as he had shown you he could twice now. If he wanted to shut you up, he could, as he had done with just one look multiple times. So if he wanted to get you in trouble, he certainly could. He certainly would. So, again, what kind of trouble exactly would you be in?

And with who?

The whole thing was a puzzle you couldn’t figure out. Just like the one who said it to you himself.

“Good morning.”

You heard someone half-say, half-yawn as they passed by. A certain someone that you were thinking about not even a millisecond before they spoke. A certain someone who went by the name of Kim Myungsoo. And he was still there. He had passed your desk only to stop and take steps backwards before he was in front of your desk again. He pivoted on one of his feet, spinning his body ninety degrees so that he was facing you.

His eyes met yours and you realized that his words last night weren’t the only thing you were hung up on. Rather, it was what he did to you that you had only remembered right at this very moment as the event replayed in your head at the sight of his eyes on you. The thing he did that made you want to dig a grave and lie in it to avoid having to feel your skin start to tremble, the path his fingertips took along your jaw and down your neck so conductive it could produce it’s own electricity right now. He tilted his head to the side as he prodded your already tired mind with a question, “You’re not going to say it back?”

Your voice stuck in your throat, resulting in a squeak of an ‘ah’ before you gave him what he wanted, “Good morning.” He blinked once, and for some reason, despite him not smiling in the least, despite his neutral expression you were so used to seeing that you thought the him from last night had to have been an illusion, a trick of the dim lights that lined the road every now and then, it looked like he was satisfied. Like he was content with your forced greeting.

His eyes traveled downward as he was about to step away, to leave you to deal with your confusing thoughts on your own, when he caught sight of it. When he caught sight of the single sentence you had written in your notebook that was splayed open on your desk for all to see.

And there it was. There was the Myungsoo from last night, his dimples exposed as he showed that playful grin.

You followed his gaze, your eyes landing on your notebook. What happened next was three things. First, your eyes widened at the sight because not only had you stupidly left your notebook open for someone else to see, such as the nosy detectives that were Niel and Ricky, but that it was Myungsoo of all people who saw it. Second, your hands fumbled for it, closing it shut as though that would somehow change the fact that he very obviously saw it already. Thirdly, and the most embarrassing of them all, because you were in such a panic to close it, you ended up knocking it off of your desk instead. Oh, and there was a fourth thing. The fourth thing you did was bury your head on your desk in reflection as you replayed your actions in your head and felt like a complete idiot.

You weren’t able to see that Myungsoo had bent over and picked it up. Nor did you see the smile on his face as he looked at it one more time. You did, however, hear his next words. His next words that seemed to read your mind like a book.

“Are you that hung up on me?”

Yes. The answer was yes. The answer was yes as you lifted your head from your desk and saw him looking down at you, one of his eyebrows raised upwards as a sly smirk spread across his face. The answer was yes as he placed the notebook back on your desk, closing it first, where your head had previously been. The answer was still yes as he diverted his eyes away from you, his smile fading into that familiar thin line, and his stoic face returning before he turned and walked to the back of the classroom, leaving you speechless.

The answer was yes. You were hung up on Myungsoo. You were hung up on how that smile and that expressionless face seemed to morph together and make up Kim Myungsoo. You were hung up on figuring him out.

And damn it, you still wanted to know why the hell you would be getting in trouble.

 

 

 

“You ditched us.”

“I called you last night and told you.”

“You left us to walk to school.”

“I told you I wouldn’t give you a ride yesterday.”

“You totally ditched us just so that you could come to school and hang out with your boy toy.”

“Ricky, shut up.”

You were glad you didn’t have to say the phrase that came out of Niel’s mouth just now. Ricky, since all throughout every break period and now, lunch break, had been pestering you about how you had left him and Niel to walk to school this morning because you decided to come early. To your knowledge though, you had called both of them last night and told them you wouldn’t be giving them a ride. Still, Ricky complained. Ricky complained because he was childish no matter the situation. Ricky complained because now, during lunch, it wasn’t just him and Niel who were using the top of your desk as their lunch table. There was someone else who was there. Someone who once Ricky called him your “boy toy,” you wanted to smack Ricky upside his head.

You didn’t know he would be there. You didn’t know that the werewolves would return to school so quickly, if at all. But, they did. And this explained why Myungsoo had entered the classroom this morning and caused quite the stir to occur immediately after. This explained why, as Ricky called him, your “boy toy,” was sitting across from you, your desk being the only thing that separated the two of you.

Your desk being the only thing that separated you and Hoya.

Hoya apparently got a kick out of Ricky’s nickname for him and was now smiling at you as though he had no problem with it. He should have. It should have bothered him completely. You wanted to tell him not to look at you as though he was so content with it but you were interrupted by another complaint that came out of Ricky’s mouth.

“I don’t like you.”

His statement was directed towards Hoya who didn’t at all look upset. Niel snarled at him, his eyes narrowing as he told Ricky through his expression to shut up once more. This time, Niel didn’t have to be the one to take action. You stood up from your desk and ran your fingers through Ricky’s hair, messing it up thoroughly. He wiggled underneath your hands as he tried to push you away, his legs kicking this way and that as Niel looked on, he himself entertained with this turn of events.

“Did anyone ask you, huh?” You asked as you finished him off with one last swipe of his hair to the left, leaving him as though he had just walked through a windstorm. You knew the reason he was acting the way he was and thus set out to rectify the situation, “I called you last night! Don’t get all angry and start complaining when you were okay with it to begin with. What was that you said? “No worries Hyunjoo, I’ll see you at school. Try not to miss me too much.”” You mimicked his voice as you remembered his words to you over the phone last night.

Ricky pouted, looking up at you with large, puppy dog eyes. You shook your head, refusing to be swayed by it despite how much you wanted to say you were wrong and fix his hair. No matter how guilty he made you feel with that victimized puppy look he gave you, you refused to apologize. Ricky realized he would be getting no compassion from you and turned to Niel who raised his eyebrows at him curiously, “Don’t look at me. You deserved it.”

Ricky got upset, as any person would when his friends picked on him, even if he whole-heartedly deserved it. Ricky got upset and grabbed onto your arms as he stood up, causing Hoya to flinch slightly, his own feet almost lifting him up slightly to stand and intervene. It was a small action that Niel caught sight of. It was a small action that was stopped as Niel reached out and placed his hand on Hoya’s shoulder, telling him to calm down, that it would be fine. And it was. It was more than fine for Hoya as Ricky swerved around, spinning you to where he was once sitting and pushed you to sit down. He pushed you to sit before pushing the chair itself right beside the one Hoya was sitting in.

Ricky then stepped back as he looked on at the rather confused you and the amused Hoya who found he was liking Ricky more and more by the second, “Fine. If you rather hang out with your muscly boy toy than me, fine! I didn’t miss you this morning anyway!”

Niel decided to interject just then as he laid his chin in his propped up palm, knowing for a fact that there was no way Ricky didn’t miss you this morning with the surplus amount of complaints he spewed. “Liar.”

Ricky faked a sniffle as he looked at you, his eyes large and now swelling up with tears. You felt bad instantly and Niel could see it. Niel could see that you had reached your breaking point. He sighed, thinking to himself that watching you scold Ricky was fun while it lasted.

You frowned as you reached both of your arms up towards him, waving him to come to you. As you did so, you moved your hair behind your shoulders and Hoya’s faced changed. He looked around the room, searching for someone. “Come here, let me fix it.” You called out to Ricky who took steps forward, pulling your chair behind him as he pulled it up to you. You stifled a laugh at the sight of his hair again and you saw him glare up at you, causing you to stop immediately and clear your throat. You went to work fixing Ricky’s hair, not at all noticing the change in Hoya’s expression who sat beside you.

“You spoil him.” Niel scowled at the look of mocking on Ricky’s face as he turned his head to the side and stuck his tongue out at Niel.  

You muttered an “I know” beneath your breath as you finished arranging his last strand of hair into place, “There. All done.”

Ricky shook his head as he pointed to the left side of his hair. “No, you missed a spot.”

“And how are you able to tell that?” You pushed his head away, not going to let him trick you.

“I can feel it in my heart.” Ricky answered with utmost seriousness, causing Niel to roll his eyes and you to laugh. Your laughter died down however in that next second. In the next second in which Hoya spoke up.

“Were you with Myungsoo last night?”

Your jaw metaphorically dropped to the floor as you turned to Hoya, your eyes as wide as saucers as you stared at him, giving him the answer to his question. Hoya had smelt it. He had smelt Myungsoo nearby yet said male wasn’t in the classroom nor had he been since lunch started. Yet, his smell was lingering. Lingering somewhere close. And he had realized it now. He had realized that it was lingering on you. And you looked at him completely clueless. Completely unaware of why he knew but looking guilty nevertheless.

You got over your shock as you saw his facial expression change. He had that same look of annoyance he had last night when Jiyeon was there except it seemed to be intensified by a multiple of ten. You closed your mouth and erased the stunned look on your face as you answered as calmly as possible, “Only for a little bit.”

You weren’t lying. After Myungsoo said that line of his that sent you for a loop, he and you went your separate ways. You had a feeling though that this is what Myungsoo meant. That this undeniably attractive, irritated look on Hoya’s face meant that you were in trouble and that Myungsoo accomplished what he had set out to do. And Hoya’s next actions puzzled you, Niel, Ricky, and all onlookers whose attention was on you and him after he asked you about Myungsoo.

He reached down and grabbed onto your arm, pushing back the long sleeve of your sweater as he ran his fingers up your skin. And there it was again, that sensation of your skin trembling. The feeling of goose bumps forming as his heated hands gave you an oh-so-awkward massage. A massage that left you unable to form words because despite how awkward it was, you didn’t want it to stop. When it regrettably did, Hoya pulled down your sleeve and let both of his hands weave into where your hair touched your shoulders, his fingers running through it as he pulled it forward, covering your neck. Covering your neck where he so faintly smelt Myungsoo.

“That’s your punishment.” He murmured, his voice a rough whisper that echoed in your eardrums, only loud enough for you to hear. That was the last thing he said before he stood up and left, leaving you with one more sentence to labor over the meaning of.

Myungsoo said he would get you in trouble, trouble you seemingly got into with Hoya just now. And you received punishment? How so? And why did it seem as though the punishment was something more that it seemed?

Niel was the one who spoke up first, breaking your train of thought, “Hyunjoo, what’s going on?” You were wondering the same thing as you leaned onto your desk and buried your face in your hands.

“I have no idea.”

Ricky looked to the classroom door where Hoya just exited, his facial features contorted, “I definitely don’t like him.”

 

 

 

The question of what to do now was obvious. You had to figure out why in the world you got into trouble with Hoya and even more so why you deserved to get punished. Now that you had approached the person with all the answers though, you didn’t exactly know where to start. As you stared down at Myungsoo who was packing his back pack after the last bell of the day rang, you ended up stuttering out one single word, “You. You.” Myungsoo sat there, his hands on his bag as he watched you struggle to say what you wanted to. Thankfully, after taking in a deep breath and calming your urge to just yell at him outright, you found your words again, “What did you do?”

He blinked three times as he sat there, looking as though he did absolutely nothing wrong. Looking as though he could do no wrong. But, you knew better. You knew better but you faltered as you said your next words.

“Hoya, he,” you froze mid sentence. How exactly would you explain what Hoya did? He gave you an awkward massage as punishment for something before walking away? Was the punishment that he touched you or that he stopped? You were internally screaming due to the confusion of it all.

Myungsoo watched on as you continued to have no idea how to phrase your words. It was entertaining to say the least. He was enjoying himself before he smelt something else. He smelt something else and he understood in an instant why you had said Hoya’s name just seconds ago.

He didn’t expect that Hoya would do such a thing. That he would mark you after Myungsoo himself had. Then again, Hoya had gotten a bit bolder since they were gone, just as he had. “Well, that’s unfair.” He looked up, noticing your confusion at what he was referring to. He decided he’d end this game on his own terms as he finally answered your question, “I marked you.”

You narrowed your eyes at him, taking a seat down right in front of him in Minah’s desk to steady yourself as you tried to process what he was talking about, “You what?”

Myungsoo leaned forward, his face neutral as he spoke each word slowly, “I. Marked. You.”

You leaned forward as well, your eyebrows furrowing downwards, “And. What. Does. That. Mean?”

Myungsoo knew that while amongst both his and Zico’s pack, the issue of Woohyun marking you was huge, you had no idea about it. You had not a single inkling about what Woohyun had done to you, even after all this time. And Myungsoo took advantage of that. He took full advantage of that.

“It. Means. You’re. Mine.” Myungsoo spoke back, his face completely serious. You almost fell out of your chair. He stared at you with those eyes of his, those eyes that gave away nothing. You bought it for a second. For only a second before you saw his lips curve up, showing you that rare smile of his. And he spoke again, “It’s a joke.”

Technically, it wasn’t a joke at all. Technically, marking you meant that you were his to protect. His to look after. It was a possessive thing to do to be sure, but it was to be taken seriously. It told others to back off. At least, that’s what it was supposed to do. This was the reason Hoya was being unfair. He had marked you despite Myungsoo already doing so. And though Myungsoo had intended for the others to find out, he didn’t foresee such a reaction.

“I still don’t know what “marking” is.” You brought him out of his thoughts that you didn’t realize he was in. You could feel it, that he was once more hiding something behind those dark eyes of his, “Don’t trick me again.” You warned him even though you wouldn’t be able to tell if he was joking or not if he didn’t tell you.

Myungsoo was disappointed to lose his chance but that didn’t mean he was going to come right out and tell you exactly what marking was. What it represented. “Marking means that others can smell me on you. Hoya did something similar, didn’t he? Here?” He pointed down to your arm that was covered up by the long sleeve of your shirt, “Hoya’s scent will be there for three or four days.” He looked up, spotting the curve of your jaw hidden slightly by your hair and his eyes changed.

His eyes changed and all of the thoughts and all of the questions you had disappeared in an instant. You were unable to think about anything except what this look of his meant. “But mine,” he spoke up and his fingers weren’t touching you. You knew they weren’t. But, you could feel them. You could feel his fingers tracing down your neck, the warm feeling they gave you hitting you all over again. “Mine will last longer. Because it’s there.” At his utterance of the single word “there,” you felt a small prick at the nape of your neck. A small prick that caused you to gulp down, “Maybe two weeks at the minimum? More than enough time for you to get into trouble because of it.”

“Why?” You found the strength to speak at last as you ignored the shivers across your jawline that threatened to stay your tongue, “Why do you want to get me into trouble?” He stared at you. He stared at you for a long while without saying a single word. You felt your throat itching. Itching to say his name. To call out to him and pull him out of whatever trance he was in. But, he spoke first.

“I’d say you start running right about now. Before you get into even more trouble.” His eyes left yours as he looked to your right. You glanced back, following his gaze and you saw the reason why he told you to run. There stood Nam Woohyun, a smile on his face that began to fade as he got closer from the back of your classroom, as his nose twitched. Myungsoo leaned forward, his lips at your ear as he whispered, “I don’t even know what he’ll do when he finds out.” Not even a second later, you stood up and bolted to your desk, grabbing your already packed bag before sprinting out of the classroom door. And then, not even another second after that, Woohyun’s realization hit him like a speeding train and he went disappearing into the hallway as well. 

Myungsoo waited until he heard the sound of your feet hitting the tile floor of the stairs as you descended down to the second floor. He waited until he heard you as you went sprinting out of the front door of the school towards the parking lot. He waited until he heard silence. Until you were caught. Caught as you tried to make a getaway in your car. That’s when he stood up from his desk, slipping his bag around his shoulders as he ignored the curious looks Ricky and Niel had as they walked into the classroom, neither having a clue as to where you had gone.

So, why did he want to get you into trouble?

Because he wanted you to be hung up on him.

 

 

 

“Only a few days left until we’ll have more than just a handful to deal with.”

“While they’re separated, they’re weaker.”

A young woman with orangish red hair turned to the left, glancing out of the corner of her eyes at the person who just spoke to her. She met eyes with a woman with long blonde hair, “Come on, Zinger. Don’t be boring. The stronger they are, the harder they’ll fall and the more fun I’ll have tipping them over.”

“As much as I agree, our friends in London are rushing things. We can’t keep standing still forever, Sunhwa.” Zinger stated as she titled her head back, parting her lips as she let one deep sigh escape from between them.

“Then, let them rush things.” The two women, Zinger and Sunhwa, focused their attention on the woman with blazing maroon colored hair who had entered, “Let them continue to worry about the Elite dogs snipping at their heels. We’ll do things as we always have. Slow and steady wins the race.”

“Oh, but Jieun, I can’t help but want to rush in after I’ve caught sight of my prey.” A woman with short brown hair walked in from behind her, joining the other three women in the dark room they currently occupied, the fireplace the only thing brightening their surroundings with shades of red and orange. “Dark black hair with shades of red. Eyes so narrow his expressions exude charisma. Compassion pouring off of him with every move he makes. The kind that gets more tantalizing the longer you look. That kind of prey can’t be left alone for long.”

Sunhwa the couch she was sitting on, her whole body oriented towards the new woman, “You saw one already, Hyosung? That’s no fair.”

“All is fair when the hunt starts.” Hyosung walked towards the couch, her heels clicking down onto the wooden floor. She leaned over, resting her arms on the back of the couch as her tinted lips curved upwards into a smile, “Only a few days left.” 


A/N:

So here's the next chapter for all of you! Not late but cutting it oh so close! There was Hoya and Myungsoo and Niel and Ricky (I know you guys missed those two. I sure did.) in this chapter! And some Nam Woohyun at the end (you can bet that the next chapter will start off with a Woohyun scene). But, there was also a Secret (Jieun, Zinger, Hyosung, and Sunhwa) scene! What is this hunt they are talking about? Have you figured out what they are yet? (Also, spoiler, the next chapter will have the twins. Bringing 'em back by popular demand and for the sake of the chapter. Excited? The twins will be returning with a scene and there will be a Woohyun scene as well? You should be!)

Now, on a more serious note, you know I love you guys, right? Right? You guys are my wonderful, squishy, I-just-want-to-reach-out-and-snuggle-each-one-of-you readers. But, guess who I don't want to snuggle with? School. That's who. Guess who I'm revising the update days of this story for? School. So if you didn't read any of the rest of this A/N, read this: I will be updating Illusory once every Sunday instead of on both Saturday and Sunday. I love you guys! Don't brick me! This is for the sake of this story getting my full attention on every single chapter instead of me rushing to finish two chapters with my heavy school workload. More quality chapters to come for you all! 

 

 

I love you guys! Hugs? Or perhaps kisses?