Christmas Special

Illusory

The snow flittered softly downward, forming a fresh new layer upon the city street. The low hum of a faraway melody drifted through the air, carrying itself down every alleyway, every building, and every person in its path. The street lamps lit up the darkness, the thin stream of yellow bulbs that circled around them provided the people who were walking, hand in hand, shoulder to shoulder, brothers and sisters, boyfriends and girlfriends, family, to have their world light up around them. The bulbs made real to them what this night was. What the significance of such a night was.

It was Christmas Eve.

And this was London.

London, where the people sung Christmas carols in the distance. London, where the streets were alit every which way a person could turn. London, where the snow fell steadily, caking itself onto the ground. London, where they were now.

Here, in this apartment left to Sunggyu by his grandfather.

Here, where they returned no matter how far they may have traveled.

Here, the place they now called home.

And it was Christmas Eve.

“Are you three going to mope around all night or are you going to come and give us a hand?” Sungjong asked, his arms crossed against his chest as he looked on into the bedroom which contained a twin bed and a bunk bed. At the far end of the room, opposite the door, was a wall with one large, arched window. A window that had frosted at its edges, the cold air that blew outside causing it to do so.

Minhyuk, or rather B-bomb, was the first of the three who were in the room to answer the younger boy. His lips curved upwards as he shifted in the chair he was sitting in, the blanket that was once around his shoulders slipped off of him in the process, “Who says we’re moping?”

Myungsoo didn’t look away from the window as he backed up the statement made by the black haired male, “We’re people watching.”

“They look happy. Everyone does. It’s nice.” Woohyun sighed whimsically, his eyes starting to droop on him as he looked on at the people who passed below.

Sungjong rolled his eyes as he took steps towards the daydreaming Woohyun. He peaked over his shoulder and looked down at the people who still roamed the city streets. Woohyun turned his head, peaking up at him with a smile on his face. Sungjong reciprocated the smile before his expression shifted suddenly, his hand going up to whack Woohyun in the back of his head, “You’re all a bunch of nutcases.” He pointed to the three before breathing out, “Just come on already, the food’s done. No thanks to you three.”

“What do you mean? I helped earlier.” Woohyun defended himself as he stood up from the chair he was sitting in. He followed Sungjong out of the room despite his complaints about how unfair Sungjong was being.

B-Bomb stood up was well, tossing the fallen blanket onto the lower bunk bed nearest him, his own, before following. Or at least, he was going to. He was going to until he saw Myungsoo still staring out the window, his neutral expression unreadable as the Christmas lights from below shone upon his features. B-Bomb left him like that for a few seconds. Left Myungsoo lost in his own thoughts that he would never be able to decipher. Then, Sungjong called to them again, ending off with a short cursing rant from the kitchen down the hall.

B-Bomb walked closer to him, patting him on the back once, “Come on. Dinner’s waiting.” Myungsoo turned to him slowly, his eyes blinking a few times as he processed what B-Bomb had just said. When he did, he stood up in an instant, his hand rubbing the back of his neck as he grumbled to himself.

“Sorry, I was thinking.”

B-bomb shook his head, not feeling the need to be apologized to. He was, however, curious, “About what?”

“About,” Myungsoo paused. His face fell, his lips parting slowly. A moment went by, a single second, and his lips met, a smile on his face. A smile that B-bomb had seen often now. A smile he had been seeing since they all left Springfield, “well, about how people meet by coincidence.”

Once more, B-bomb couldn’t help but feel as though Myungsoo was much better at talking than he thought he was. Much, much better.

Coincidence brought them together, the two groups who once fought each other to the death without a second thought. Coincidence made them stronger. Coincidence is what led to them sitting as they all were now, together around a table too small to fit all of them. A table they made fit all of them as they sat side by side, a grand Christmas dinner laid out in front of them.

Coincidence put Dongwoo in a Santa suit because he didn’t want to help cook and was punished by Sungjong and P.O. into wearing it; something he seemed to not mind in the least.

Coincidence put reindeer ears on Sungyeol and Jaehyo, the two looking as though they matched each other more than they ever wanted to.

Coincidence put Sungjong and Kyung in the kitchen together where they actually came to an agreement when it came to not letting U-kwon handle the turkey.

Coincidence seated Hoya and Taeil side by side, the two having much more in common the longer they spent with each other.

Coincidence formed the new trio of Woohyun, Myungsoo, and B-bomb, the three sharing a room in this five-bedroom apartment.

Coincidence allowed the collected Sunggyu and the hotheaded Zico to come together for the betterment of both packs.

The coincidence that was Song Hyunjoo.

The gift of that coincidence made buying presents this year unnecessary.

As the clock struck midnight, a loud chime ringed in the distance. The fourteen males who were all eating, laughing, smiling, and living together, paused. There was a shared silence among them. A silence that was broken as Sunggyu, his head a new shade of red, spoke up.

“Merry Christmas.”

Zico smirked from beside him, repeating his words that echoed through the room.

“Merry Christmas.”

 

 

 

You yawned widely, your arms stretching upwards. You felt around for your phone, finding it under your thigh. Your hazed over eyes, still blurry from sleep, struggled to see the time that was displayed on the screen. You gave up and instead directed your gaze to your surroundings. The living room of your house. It was dark except for the dim fire lit in the fireplace, not having been stoked for a few hours now. You tried to move your legs to find yourself pinned. Pinned by another body. An unexpectedly heavy body.

“Ricky?” You mumbled as you sat up. Your head spun and you put your palm to your temple, steadying yourself. As you squinted, attempting to focus your eyes again, you saw Niel with his head lying back on the couch near Ricky’s arm which dangled off of the edge, his feet the entity pinning your own legs down.

You remembered now. The two had slept over. This night.

This Christmas Eve night.

This Christmas Eve night where the snow fell without relenting once throughout. And it was beautiful. The lights. The smiles on everyone’s face. Even Tiffany seemed to be smiling as she lay in her hospital bed this morning, the twins at her side, as the snow fell outside her window.

It was beautiful. The tree that Ricky and Niel helped you put up in the living room. It glowed now, beside the dimly lit fireplace, as you finally caught sight of it. You couldn’t help it, the content smile that made its way onto your face.

You looked down to your phone again, the time 11:59 for only a second longer before it changed. And it was midnight. It was 12:00. No longer Christmas Eve.

You whispered, your lips only opening slightly as you said your next words. As you said them to Ricky and Niel. To Daeryong and Soryong. To Tiffany. To your mother. To the fourteen werewolves who were somewhere out there, under the same sky but in a different place. 

“Merry Christmas.”

Simply being able to meet all of them so coincidentally was better than any present Christmas could give you.


A/N: Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all enjoy this day to the fullest! May you all have smiles on your faces on Christmas day. 

 

I love you!