Burdened Prince

The Unexpected

 


“Yi Fan ge! Why are you so quiet all day?”

Yi Xing voice broke the silence between them. The Westland’s crown-prince a bit startled but he didn’t say a thing.

“Are you alright?” his cousin asked again.

“Yeah,” Yi Fan answered.

Yi Fan and Yi Xing were riding horses together through a forest. They wore commoner clothes and brought a few supplies along with them.

 

Yi Fan remembered his meeting with his father, four days ago. His father ordered the withdrawals of their country ambassadors, officers and troopers from The Eastland Imperial. It happened three days after they accepted the second message from Eastland. The Westland Emperor decided to officially cut off their alliance connection.

 

“Dad! How could you break off the alliance because of me?” Yi Fan questioned his father soon after he heard the news.

“It isn’t because of you. I do this for the pride of our country!” the emperor answered.

“I think the rejection of my proposal doesn’t affect the pride of this country in all means.” Yi Fan furrowed.

The emperor sighed; looking exhausted.

 “You know, it’s also a hard decision for me. We have a long history of great friendship with Eastland. However, I can’t decide it only on my own.”

 

“When their first message came, we along with the ministers and royal councilors decided to proclaim to other countries that you had chosen your companion.” his father explained, “But then suddenly the second message arrived, in which they said that they cancelled the marriage.”

“The ministers and royal councilors thought it as a humiliation. They urged me to make the decision.”

 

“I wouldn’t break off our alliance if they didn’t put reasonable reasons. We have to do it to maintain our honor. We had a respectable status and we don’t want the other countries find that we don’t settle this problem properly.”

His father looked at his son’s face. It couldn’t be hidden that his son had disagreement with that.

“Do you understand Yi Fan? This is a political decision that must be taken.”

 

                                                                                                *          *          *

 

“Don’t worry ge, we will find Sooyeon soon.” said Yi Xing.

“Sooyeon?” Yi Fan turned to face his cousin with puzzled expression.

“What?”

The crown prince creased his forehead, “I thought you can’t easily remember people names?”

Yi Xing coughed when he forcefully held his laughter.

“This girl has caused such turmoil. How could I not remember her name?”

“Yeah, I see.” Yi Fan chuckled as well.

 

A few days before, Yi Fan asked permission to his father for visiting the Eastland’s palace. He decided to come to settle the matter privately between him and the princess. Lately, he couldn’t sleep well because he kept thinking about the alliance break-off. He felt that he held a responsibility in this situation.

At first his father didn’t agree with him, but Yi Fan reassured him that he wanted to make sure about the rejection. He would try to handle everything properly in peace. The Westland Emperor finally agreed with exception that he wouldn’t cancel his decision about their no more alliance connection status.

Yi Xing offered accompanying him in this journey and Yi Fan gladly accepted him right away. He didn’t want to go with guards so it would be very helpful if his cousin came with him.

 

They were shocked hearing the real situation when they arrived at the Eastland palace. The Eastland Emperor said that he didn’t want to announce that her daughter had run away from the palace because it might arouse people suspicion about the war.

The Eastland’s folks didn’t know about the Westland’s reason to put off the alliance and the princess run away either. Her father was afraid that bad people would start to search for Sooyeon and did something to her when they knew the matter. So, he only ordered his spies to search for her quietly.

The two princes offered their help to search the princess and the Eastland Emperor thankfully accepted. So here they were now, going in disguise as commoners. Yi Fan already sent a message to his father that he and his cousin had a mission in Eastland instead of telling the truth.

 

“So, what do you think about that girl now?”

“I still have no idea.” Yi Fan answered while said they were riding through hilly path in slow pace.

“Then, why do you want to find her?”

“I feel that I have a responsibility when this riot happens.” said Yi Fan, “So, when we find her and take her to the castle, my burden will be lifted.”  

Yi Xing stared at his cousin with unreadable expression. Yi Fan didn’t talk very much to him lately; it was like he kept all the problems for himself.

 

“I think it’s not your fault. You shouldn’t put everything to your shoulders.” the younger guy stated.

“But it won’t happen if I didn’t send the proposal! I shouldn’t agree to my father.” Yi Fan shook his head.

“Yeah, this is just what we called unexpected situation. Of course, no one knows that something will happen. Don’t blame yourself.”

“You can’t see everything from one side, gege.” Yi Xing added.

 

When they arrived at the highest hill, Yi Fan signaled his cousin to take a break. They got off from their horses and stop for a while. Yi Xing came and sat beside Yi Fan who was sitting on the ground. They spent the time gazing down the scenery while the sun slowly sunk at the horizon.

 

As the night came, they felt that they had enough rest and chose to continue the trip.

“Where should we go?” Yi Xing asked.

“We’ve been riding to the east before. Why don’t we take a shortcut to the south so we can find villages?” suggested Yi Fan.

“Good idea!” Yi Xing exclaimed, “Our supplies are running out. We can eat some foods and rest at some places.”

                                                           

                                   *          *          *


I don't own the picture. Credits to the right owner. Source: allaboutmyfavoritekoreanartist.blogspot.com

 

AN:

Hi readers!

It's slightly short but enjoy this chapter! xoxo