The Calling

The Unexpected

 


A huge commotion occurred at Eastland when the Imperial declared obligatory military service all around the country. Official letter from the emperor had duplicated and being posted in every corner of cities and villages. They needed to prepare for the war in three months.

Every healthy man from age eighteen until forty was called to dedicate their loyalty for their country. Exception applied for sole men in their families due to keeping the bloodline. Although, they might participate as well if they insisted.

Public educations were temporarily stopped until indefinite period. Everyone was expected to prepare for the war so they had to provide food as much as they could to their own deposit while donating some for military warehouses.

 

“Hyung! This is terrible! What will happen to us? ” Jongdae whined while curling his body on Luhan’s mattress.

Luhan who came from outside was entering his room with gritted teeth, “Hey! Get off from the bed!”

He kicked Jongdae and Minseok who was sitting before hurriedly rose from the bed.

“We’re going to war and you’re still stingy about your mattress!” Jongdae shook his head.

“Shut up! No one get in my bed!” Luhan grumbled while tidying the bed.

 

Jongdae and Minseok came to Luhan’s house to discuss the military service. The news about war made turmoil everywhere. Some people who lived at the southeast border were moving to other cities and villages. They were afraid that the big kingdom soldiers would come and attack them all of a sudden.

“I heard from aunty, that you’re going to register for the service. Is it true?” Minseok asked.

Luhan nodded.

“But you’re the only descendant of your family. You shouldn’t join.”

“I think I should go. We’re totally lack in number compared to the Far East’s.” he explained.

 

 “Auntie must be not allowing you.” Jongdae stated.

“Yeah, but I still need to go. She can’t force me to stay.” said Luhan.

“You’re so weird. People are scared. We want to avoid the service, but you’re just volunteering yourself. Personally, I don’t want to get involved with this coming war.” Minseok let out a desperate sigh.

“Me too! If only my brother can join this instead of me. I don’t wanna die,” Jongdae sighed.

Minseok was the older son in his family so it made him the one who had the obligation. Jongdae had one older brother but he was a government officer who worked in the palace. Therefore, Jongdae had to substitute his brother.

 

“Hey, you won’t die. We won’t die. We’ll be prepared in military camps. They’ll teach us how to use weapons and defend ourselves. Calm yourself,” Luhan slung his arm on Jongdae shoulder.

“B-but, three months are too short. We’re only learning basic martial arts in school before. What will we get in three months?”

“Ouch, my head’s hurt so much thinking about this.” Minseok sat in the corner of the room; his hands were clutching his hair in frustration.

 

“Don’t worry Seokie. You know, our country has a strong ally! Westlands will help us to defeat the Far Easts.” said Luhan.

“I think they’ll be scared if they know how strong the Westland’s soldiers. Maybe they even will consider to pull back before they attack us.” he added.

“No. It won’t happen.” Jongdae claimed abruptly.

Luhan and Minseok turned to Jongdae full of question.

 

“Have you heard that Westland’s withdrawing their ambassadors and officers from our country?” the latter asked.

“Yes. Don’t they always do personal replacement once in several years? It’s normal.” answered Luhan.

“No. This time it isn’t just replacement. The Westlands won’t come back.”

“What do you mean?”

“My brother said that Princess Sooyeon had rejected the proposal. Rumors in the palace said that The Westland decides to dismiss the alliance.” he explained.

“Oh God!” Min Seok collapsed on the floor, “Such a right time to mess up, princess.”

 

                                                                                              *          *          *

 

Hyesun sat on the chair at the dining room. Her legs were tapping on the floor while she thought about what happened earlier with her brother.

 

“I think you understand about ‘the exception for the only man of the family’ part!” Hyesun snapped to his brother.

“Yes, but I want to volunteer myself.” Jungmyung retorted.

“Why do you want to volunteer yourself? Are you crazy?”

 “This is the least I can do for this country.”

“This is war Jungmyung! You could die!” Hyesun started sobbing.

 

His brother hugged her tight and Hyesun’s back.

“I’m sorry, Hyesun-ah. I can’t sit down and do nothing when people struggling to defend this country. Please understand.”

“B-but…”

“I should go to register my self,” said Jung Myung shortly while he walked to the front door.

“Jungmyung!”

 

Hye Sun felt her heart sink to the bottom. When it came to determinations, Jung Myung could be equally stubborn with her. She waited Jungmyung back since morning. She had lost her appetite to eat and she couldn’t make it to the market right now.

 

She heard creaked sound from front door.

“Hyesun?” Seohyun walked with puffy eyes, “Jongin registers himself to the military camp. He doesn’t want to hear all of us. He still wants to volunteer though it isn’t necessary.”

“Same goes here,” said Hyesun.

Seohyun put herself on the chair beside Hyesun’s then laid her head on the table.

“I hate this country,” Seohyun muttered.

“I hate both the war and the pride of men.” added Hyesun.

 

While they were talking, Jungmyung had arrived. He came and took a seat in front of them. He made a big smile to the girls. Hyesun was still angry so she turned her face away.

“I’m sorry. I know you don’t like I’m going to the camp. But, I feel like a coward if I’m just waiting here.” Jungmyung explained, looking into her sister eyes.

Hyesun nodded, “I give up. There’s nothing I can do to make you stay anyway.”

Jungmyung approached her wanting to give a hug but Hyesun refused.

“I’m still mad at you! Hmph,”

 

“You know, after registering I must go to the camp in three days.” said Jungmyung, “I think you should be nicer before it’s too late.”

Seohyun abruptly rose, “Oh no! I only have three days left with Jongin! Bye, Hyesun-ah! Bye oppa!”

After Seohyun left, Hyesun glared at his brother who was cheerfully whistling.

“Shut up!”

“You still don’t want to hug me?” Jungmyung teased.

Hyesun glared, “Nope!”

 

                                                                                                *          *          *


AN:

To my subscribers, commenters & silent readers plus to my self, enjoyyy!