Slices of Life

The Unexpected

 


“Hyesun-ah!”

She heard someone called her name at the front of their house.

“Yes, wait a minute!” she shouted while putting her freshly cooked dishes on the dining table.

“Hyesun-ah, it’s me!”

A beautiful girl with high cheek bones and wavy brown hair smiled at her while coming inside the kitchen. She was taller than to Hyesun. She had a slender body but curvy on the right places. People said she was like a goddess; she was the flower girl of this village, Seohyun.

 

“Eh? Why do you come here? It’s unusual for you to come this early,”

“It’s because I need your help, would you?” she asking while tilted his head gracefully, like she always did.

“For what?” Hyesun was still busy with the dishes.

“I need your help to cook Jongin’s favorite food!”

“Huh? Why me?” Hyesun confused, “Besides, I have to sell my vegetables today.”

She stood across Hyesun making her couldn’t move to finish the work, “Because, Jongin’s favorite dish is the one from your family recipes!”

“And also, I can’t cook!” Seohyun added, with a wink.

 

Kim Jongin was Kim merchant only son and now Seohyun’s fiancé. He loved Hyesu’s mother dishes very much. He had used to them because her mother worked as a maid in Kim’s house. Now since the only one left with the recipes was Hyesun, such people like Seohyun could insist to make her cooked one.

“Okay.”

Seohyun released Hyesun only after she heard the answer she was expecting. Hyesun sighed; she knew that arguing with Seohyun would be a tough job. Thus, she better gave in.

“Wahh, thank you! You’re really my best friend, Hyesun-ah!” Seo Hyun hugged her tight; expressing her happiness.

“But!” Hyesun exclaimed, “I’ll only do after my vegetables sold out.”

“No problem, I’ll help you.” she chirped, “Let’s go to the market, we must buy the ingredients anyway!”

 

                                                *          *          *

 

It didn’t need long time to sell everything out. Thanks to Seohyun charms, everybody especially men was willing to spend their money on vegetables. Amazing what a beauty could do to the world. Hyesun was very grateful because she didn’t have to shed a sweat to call buyers. Seohyun just needed to stand there and men would come like flies.

 

“Okay, now let’s cook something for your fiancé!” announced Hyesun after they bought the ingredients.

“Hyesun-ah,”

“Hmm?”

“Don’t tell Jongin or Kim families and others that the dish isn’t my cooking, okay?” Seohyun abruptly stopped beside her.

“It isn’t like they’ll ask me about that,” Hyesun flatly said.

“Just in case! So, promise me! I’ll be ashamed if they know I actually can’t cook that.”

 

Seohyun was one of Hyesun’s neighbors. But contrasted with Hyesun, she’s from a wealthy family. They weren’t friends before. It was just starting because Seohyun needed to establish a way for getting closer with Kim Jongin.Hyesun back then was very close to Jongin, just like her own brother. Jungmyung and her still worked there occasionally after their mother deceased.

“If you said so,” answered Hyesun, “But from my point, I think Jongin will accept you just the way you are. You don’t need to do something like this, actually.”

“I-I just want to make sure him happy.” said Seohyun.

 

                                              *         *          *

 

“How’s the selling?” Jungmyung asked his sister when he awaked.

“Oh, you’ve had wake up?” Hyesun looked up with smile, “Guess what? It’s sold out!”

He saw his sister was cleaning up her cooking utensils with her sweat dripping.

“Do you cook something? You seem so tired. I’m sorry I can’t help you earlier.”

“I’m just helping Seohyun cooking Jongin’s favorite food.” she wiped her sweat.

 

“Why are you always doing that?” Jung Myung furrowed, “Let her learn to cooks for her fiancée!”

Hye Sun chuckled, “It’s okay. She had helped me first.  She’s the one that made all our vegetables sold out. So it’s just like I’m thanking her.”

“But, you shouldn’t let her always asking your help. She’s taking advantage on you,”

“You’ve telling me this for hundred times.” Hye Sun stored the clean utensils then sat before her brother.

 

“Do you know Jongin had a crush for you when we were kids?”

“Aish, not that again!” Hyesun sighed.

When they were still kids; Jongin always following Hyesun everywhere whenever they were visiting Kim's house.  However, she always thought of Jongin as a friend.

“It was just a puppy love, and I don't even have a thing for Jongin. Let the couple be happy, will you?"

 

                                                                         *          *          *

 

Meanwhile at another place, Luhan was sitting at his room reading his new book.

“Luhan, please try this new coat I had bought for you!”

Luhan’s mother suddenly came with a bright face. She brought a luxurious clothes which looked like made by fine material.

Luhan only looked up at her for before continuing his read without saying a thing.

“Luhan!”

“Yes, Mom?" he answered without flinch.

 

“Luhan, stop it for a while! Look at this!”

He sighed, shoving his reading materials aside while his mother put the coat on the table. His mother sat before him, looked very proud of herself.

“Look at this. I think you’ll be looking very handsome if you wear this coat.” she sounded very excited.

“Do you know it was made by a famous designer that popular among noble customers?”

“No, I don't know. You had bought many coats similar like this for a while.”

 

“Then, you must know why I bought again this time?” her mother teasingly smiled.

“Don’t tell me you arrange a matchmaking event again?” Luhan scoffed, “I just attended one, a week ago!”

His mother still smiled, “Well, that’s because you don't have a girlfriend yet. I'm very curious, what type of girl that you really like?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think about any relationship yet, mom. I’ve said this many times. So, stop doing things like this for me.”

“But Luhan, you're twenty two. You’re on age of marriage since long long time ago! I want to see my grandchilds before I die." his mother frowned.

 

“Huh? Am I already too old?” the guy chuckled, “Please calm yourself Mom. It's still much time before I marrying someone."

 

“I don’t know. I’m just afraid you’ll be too occupied with the books and forgetting your life.”

Luhan couldn't help but smiled. His mother was too worrisome. Sometimes her obsession about marriage felt annoying, but maybe she only wanted the best for him. He was her only son anyway. Her mom didn’t have other son to be scolded for.

He inhaled a deep breath and decided to pay attention to his mother. He looked at her mother eyes while holding her hands.

“Mom, trust me. I will marry someone someday. I promise you,”

 

“But! Don’t arrange a matchmaking again!" he added.

“Why? Are you seeing someone right now?”

“Nope.“

"Then, why don't you go?"

“You know mom, it’s no use after all. I can't stand being around girls.” said Luhan while taking his book again.

His mother shook her head, "You know there are plenty girls who interested in you. But it seems that every single of them always give up on your attitudes.”

 

Luhan didn’t say answered. His mother saying was true. He had been interested to some women a few times before. However those interests always faded over times. In the end, he discovered that all of them admired Luhan for his face or for his family state. When they knew Luhan more, they tend to give up.

They couldn’t stand his love for learning or his rudeness. Yes, he could be very rude, especially to girls before he knew them more. Because of his past experiences about people, he always feared to open his heart to someone he didn't know well. So, he never had met a girl who really wanted to know his real-self. That was way he didn’t want to think about it.

 

“I hope you can meet a decent girl someday. Someone who will accept you for who you are.” said his mother.

"I don't think such a person exists." Luhan chuckled.

His mother stood up and walked to the door. At the door frame she turned back, staring at her son, "We may not know right now. But sometimes, something unexpected just happen offhand Luhan."

 

                                                                                               *          *          *


 

AN :

A few about Luhan's & Hyesun's back grounds

What do you think about it?

Feel free to comment :D