The Proposal

The Unexpected

 


Today was the day Westlands messenger envoys reached the Eastland Imperial palace. As soon as they arrived, they delivered the official proposal and presents and from Crown Prince of Westland to Princess Sooyeon.

At the same time in his palace, Yi Fan was pacing back and forth in restless alone in his room. He couldn’t sleep well since a few days ago, thinking about the proposal that he had sent to the Eastland’s Princess.

 

‘Can’t keep doing this. Must go somewhere to relax my mind,’

He walked to the door and twisted the knob.

When Yi Fan opened the door, his cousin Yi Xing was right in front of him.

“Ha!” his cousin shouted, apparently hoping that Yi Fan would get a heart attack.

It definitely didn’t effective.

His cousin examined Yi Fan’s face before he decided to enter the room. This morning, he came in haste from his own residence to confirm the news.

 

“What?” Yi Fan furrowed his brows when he saw his cousin made a wide grin.

“Your face, how should I say it? It’s priceless.”

Yi Fan chuckled, “Shut up. I’m so relieved that you come here.”

“I’m not coming to make you feel better,” Yi Xing smirked.

“Well, then get out of my room.”

It actually felt better when someone came while he was in problem, especially his dear cousin. Yi Xing might seem like a jerk, yeah, actually he was but he had known Yi Fan since they were born and they always shared their problems since that.

 

Yi Xing raised his brows looking at the other guy.

“What will you do?” he asked.

“I don’t know. I think I’m going to puke,” said Yi Fan while sitting back on his bed.

Yi Xing was leaning his back to the wall across his position, still look at him with curious eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you’re proposing that girl?”

 

Silence fell on the room. Yi Fan didn’t answer the question; he just inhaled a deep breath while staring at the ceiling.

“Why don’t you answer me, Gege?”

This time Yi Fan turned his face to the latter with annoyed face, “Why are you so fussy?”

“Don’t change the subject. It’s not about me.” Yi Xing scoffed, “Why it’s so hard for you to be honest?”

“What do you mean? I don’t know exactly what I feel!”

Yi Xing snapped his fingers at a sudden, “Yup! That’s exactly what I mean!”

 

Yi Fan furrowed at him while Yi Xing took a place sitting beside him.

“I know you aren’t the reckless type, so I was confused when I heard that you proposed the Eastland princess.”

“Now that you don’t know what exactly your feeling is, why are you proposing that girl?”

It was the ultimate question that Yi Fan didn’t want to be asked for right now.

So he only replied with a simple answer, “Don’t ask me.”

 

Yi Xing seemed annoyed.

“Coward!” he muttered.

“Excuse me?” Yi Fan suddenly rose from the bed.

“I say again, you’re coward, Yi Fan ge.”

Yi Fan stared his cousin without expression, “I know that you just want me to spill the truth,”

“Yes, it was my father who demanded me to propose the princess.”

 

As the Westland Emperor had his eyes always on his son, he was aware when Yi Fan asked Sooyeon to dance. After the celebration, he always tried to dig about it to his son but Yi Fan seemed not interested. But the emperor himself wasn’t satisfied at his son’s reaction as he knew that Yi Fan never approached a girl before.

Meanwhile, the emperor found out that the prince seemed slightly lose his focus on his works. He also obtained reports from his private teachers that his son couldn’t concentrate as usual and it dropped his grades. It was enough for the emperor to take a decision for him.

 

The emperor knew very well that Yi Fan was too reserved to oppose his will. Moreover, he would do anything if it mentioned for the sake of the country. He had such a pride and responsibility about his position in the country.

Though Yi Fan still confused about his feeling, his father reassured that it happened because he didn’t have experience in love before.

“You never feel like this before, don’t you? So this is the time. The time you had to make a big decision.” It was his father words. How could he say no? It was for the sake of the country. He also didn’t think it was a bad idea. He could sure about one thing; he was interested to this girl.

 

“Unbelievable!” Yi Xing commented, “How can you sacrifice your own life for the sake of the country?”

“I know that uncle will do that, but you? I’m just shocked, gege.” he shook his head.

“I just hope you won’t regret it later.”

 

                                                                                                     *      *          *

 

“Whoa, whoa! Wait! What are these?”

Sooyeon stopped a bunch of court-ladies who brought many luxurious boxes to her room.

“These are presents for you, Your Highness.” Miseon, one of them answered.

“Really? Wow, they look really expensive and pretty! Are these from my dad?”

Sooyeon took a box, examining the ornament on its top, “Hmm, this doesn’t look like our imperial emblem.”

“Of course, Your Highness. These gifts are from-“

 

The sound of creaking door stopped Miseon before she could continue. A woman guard came and bowed to the princess.

“What is it?” asked Sooyeon.

“Your Highness, you are invited to the emperor residence.”

“Like, right now?”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” she nodded.

“Ah, I’m still wondering about this gift, but father needs me now.” she said, “Then, I’ll ask him my self. Okay, I’ll come.”

 

Sooyeon found his father smiled brightly upon seeing her arrival. Her mother was there too, sitting beside her dad.

“Dad, I hope this is very important because I just started checking the presents.” She was trying to look mad although in the end she just chuckled.

Her father was Sooyeon’s favorite. She was always close to him since she was a kid. Whenever he went abroad, he always brought new presents to her. His father didn’t go anywhere recently so she was confused about the gifts.

 

She lifted her brows, “And why are you here, Mom?”

“Ah, Soo Yeon!” the empress suddenly hugged her daughter. “We’re very happy right now. We have good news. A big one!”

“So, Have you opened the presents yet?” her mother continued with big smile.

 

“Uh, I haven’t. Why?”

Sooyeon realized that her mother was acting strange right now.

His father gave her a message scroll; “Now, now, just read this.”

He smiled while Sooyeon looked at them suspiciously.

 

As she read what written on the message scroll, her face showed confusion.

“What does this mean, Dad? The Westland crown-prince proposes me?”

Her parents nodded at the same time, their smiles became brighter than before.

“What I’ve done to make him send something like this?”

 

“You did dance with him at their celebration, didn’t you?” said the empress, “Maybe, he thought about you because of that?”

Sooyeon furrowed, she wouldn’t remember that dance if her mother didn’t remind her.

“But- Is this real? I mean, how could he propose me?”

It seemed like a joke to Sooyeon. How could someone like her getting proposed? She wasn’t sociable. She didn’t even try to get along with other princes and princesses out there. She didn’t think about marriage yet. So she tried to not stand out, just in case someone as odd as this prince didn’t approach her.

But this one, he did further, he propose her out of nowhere! Did this make sense?

 

“What do you think, Sooyeon?” her father asked.

“Of course I can’t accept it. I don’t know him. We just dance once and that’s all.” she answered firmly.

The decision was so easy to make. Right now, she didn’t want to be involved in political marriage or anything. She just wanted to enjoy her life. She wasn’t ready for this.

Her mother looked dumbfounded, “Eh? How come? This is your chance! It comes once in your life, Sooyeon. You know, their country was the strongest and the wealthiest among us. Every princess who I know wants to be their next queen!”

“So? I don’t think about marriage yet, Mom. You know it.”

“And by the way, I don’t think he was that good.” she sneered, remembering their talks at the dance.

 

His father walked toward her then grasped her shoulder, “But you should think about it again, Sooyeon.”

He looked right into her eyes. Sooyeon couldn’t help but to think that his father didn’t take her side this time.

“What do you mean, Dad?” she asked with fainted voice, almost unheard.

His father took a deep breath before he talked again. He didn’t release his hand from Sooyeon’s shoulder, and his eyes kept looking into her eyes.

“This is something we can’t take lightly, my dear. I’m sorry,” his voice was very low.

 

Sooyeon took one step to retreat, but his father hold her.

“You, as my daughter and this imperial crown-princess, you should know that we’re not the strongest country in this world.” he said slowly, “You do realize as a princess you have privileges compared to common people. But my dear, as a princess you do lose freedom that they have. Do you understand?”

She only stared at the floor quietly.

“In our world, there are some parties that we should join if we want our people in this nation live with secure. That’s why we make alliances.”

“Sooyeon, we couldn’t afford to refuse the Westland’s proposal. We aren’t in the position which we could reject them.”

 

Sooyeon could see helplessness in his father eyes and somehow it transferred to her mind.

“Do you want me to accept it, Dad?” she asked, but her eyes started glistening.

“I’m sorry Sooyeon. As a father I want you to pursue your happiness.” he finally released Sooyeon and turned back.

“But as an emperor, I order you to accept the proposal.” he said without looking at her.

 

                                                                                             *           *            *


AN:

Any questions? Advices? Tell me ^^