Princess' Decision

The Unexpected

 


Three days had passed from the moment Sooyeon got the proposal. Three days she had been refusing to meet both her parents. She just locked herself in her room accompanied only by Miseon, her loyal personal lady court. It seemed childish but she didn’t want to meet either her father or her mother to discuss about the decision.

It was no use to talk with them because they eventually would pick the decision for her. Sooyeon must be agreed to accept the Westland’s proposal.

She threw the Westland’s presents out of her room and she hoped that her parents saw it for it was the only rebellion she could afford right now. It was such a pity to waste many beautiful fineries but she didn’t want to keep it though.

 

“Miseon, what are they doing right now?” she asked the lady court whom she ordered to check the emperor and empress’s activities.

Sooyeon might be hiding in her room, but she always kept in eye of her parents through Miseon so she could know the latest progress of her determined fate. And Miseon had come from the main residence just a moment ago.

“What do you find?” Sooyeon caught a glimpse of nervousness on her face.

“Your Highness, His Majesty has decided to accept the proposal. They sent a messenger to deliver the answer to Westland this morning.”

 

The princess let out a deep sigh, her eyes started glistening.

“I know this will happen, sooner or later.”

The fact that she was at no surprise didn’t make her sadness lessened. She couldn’t imagine her life as someone’s wife yet, let alone to be a queen in some country. As the situation became worse she started to regret her status. Why must she born as a princess? It was happier to be a commoner. They were free to choose their paths.

All this time when Sooyeon locked herself in her room, she was thinking about one chance. A chance to make herself free from the duty she should take. This was a big decision for her life.

 

“Miseon, can I put my trust in you?” she looked at the lady court in the eyes.

The court lady eyes went bigger questioning the princess words, but she nodded to her with certainty.

“Then, please do the things I’ll say to you.” said Sooyeon.

 

                                                                                                 *          *          *

 

When darkness embraced the sky as the night came, The Eastland Emperor was talking with her wife at their residence. His face looked troubled while he watched the night scenery through the window.

“I think we should tell Sooyeon that we had decided to send a positive answer.” he spoke, “I’m afraid she’ll be more annoyed if we suspend the news any longer.”

“Don’t worry, my dear. She needs her time.”

“But she doesn’t want to talk to us anymore,”

“Maybe it takes longer for her to realize that she needs to sacrifice her own feelings as a princess for the sake of her country. She’s just too carefree all this time.” The empress said while holding her husband’s hands.

The emperor smiled halfheartedly, “I hope so,”

 

The emperor called one of his guards afterward.

“Ask the princess to come here. This time she must come, because I will say something important. I don’t accept a refusal anymore.”

At the same time when the guard went to call the princess, an unfamiliar palace officer came panting to the emperor’s residence.

“What are you doing here?!” some of the guards pointed their weapons to the trespassing man, “How dare you to come in offhanded!”

“No! No! Please forgive me!” he stopped and raised his arm; “Pardon me for coming without permission! This is very important!”

 

 

“Release him.” the emperor ordered.

“Forgive me, Your Majesty.” he bowed to the emperor, still panting.

“It is alright. So what is the matter?” asked the emperor.

“I have been ordered to deliver the news from our frontier guard at the southeast coast. This message chained from every border guards, I am a capital border guard.”

“And what is the message?”

“The frontier guard’s spies overseas saw the warships of Far East Kingdom approaching us from the southeast sea. They said in three months the ships will reach our borderline.”

 

“Oh My!” the empress exclaimed, “What should we do? Don’t tell me they’re trying to attack us!”

The emperor seemed deep in his thought, his forehead creased.

“Calm down. We have The Westland’s as ally. We can ask their help.” he finally said, “But we also have to postpone the princess’ wedding then,”

 

“Forgive us, Your Majesty!” suddenly some court ladies came kneeling on the floor.

“What is this again?” the emperor shouted.

“Your Majesty, Princess Sooyeon escaped with Court Lady Miseon!”

“Noo!” the empress fell on the floor, “What have you done Sooyeon?”

 

                                                                                               *          *          *

 

Sooyeon was staring at the palace from distance in the dark of night. She had stopped her horse, looking back to watch her home from afar. Although it felt so sad, she wanted to memorize the scenery. Maybe she couldn’t come back again, so Sooyeon must satisfy her eyes tonight.

At this time, she slightly hesitated to go further into the darkness. Somehow, it didn’t feel right. It was her first time going out of the palace without guardsmen. Would her parents be alright? What happened to her later? Was it safe out there? She was afraid to thought further.

“Your Majesty? Shall we go back?” Mison broke the silence.

“W-what?” Sooyeon shocked, “Of course no!”

 

“It’s still not too late to come back. We can apologize to the emperor and the empress.” She said, “We’re still not too far from the palace.”

“I said no, Miseon!” her voice rose.

“Forgive me, Your Majesty... It’s because you seem scared,”

“Yes I am. Of course I’m scared!” tears dripped on her cheeks while the princess speaking; “I’m afraid that we won’t come back here again and I can’t see my mother and my father again.”

“And I’m afraid of what will happen to us later.” she sobbed.

 

Miseon was quiet seeing the princess wiped off her tears while remembering what happened earlier.

 

“Please get me some normal citizen clothes, Miseon.” the princess asked.

“What is that for, Your Highness?”

“I’ll run away from this palace tonight.”

“What?!” Miseon shocked.

“Sshh! Please be quiet! And don’t you ever dare to tell others, especially my parents!” she glared.

 

“B-but!”

“No but. Get me the clothes and a strong horse along with a few foods. I’ll bring some money so get me a pouch too.”

“Where will you go Your Highness?”

Sooyeon furrowed, “I don’t know, maybe to a village or any city as long as it’s far enough from here.”

“Then, how will you find a place to sleep and-“ she didn’t continue her words because the princess held her shoulders at a sudden.

 

“Miseon, would you go with me?” the princess asked, “You know everything out there better than me. You can teach me how to act like a normal citizen and get me some jobs.”

“B-but, to be honest, it’s not easy to live out there, Y-your Highness.” Miseon stuttered.

Sooyeon waved her hand, “Fine! I’ll go by myself!”

“N-no! I’ll go with Your Highness!”

Sooyeon turned; smiling victoriously to her loyal lady court.

“Oh, Miseon! You’re so kind! You won’’t let me go alone, right? Thank you so much!”

 

Maybe, it was a miracle that they could sneak off from the guardsmen at the palace’s hallways, at the palace’s stable and at the gate without any notice. Maybe, God allowed them to escape from the palace for the sake of the princess. Whatever the reason was, something unexpected might be happen to them ahead. They chose their own risks.

The princess decided to end her emotional outburst. She finally turned her face away from the palace view. She took a long deep breath as she took her decision.

“I must go. I can’t let my freedom being seized from me.”

 

Sooyeon strengthened her grip on the horse bridle.

“Where should we go, Miseon?”

“Should we go to the south? There’s less chance for Your Highness to be found there. There are more villages than cities there and we could ride within the forest.”

Sooyeon halted for a while because she felt afraid. How come they should ride within the forest? It sounded dangerous. But, she must do it if she didn’t want people from the palace found them. She must strengthen her heart.

“Let’s go!” the princess spurred her horse to the darkness ahead, followed by her lady court.

                                                                                      

                                                                                              *          *          *


I don't own the picture. Credit to the right owner. Source : soukidchi.blogspot.com

 

AN :

And the princess was in runaway!

Congratz to leehyura for guessing it right.

You had foretold my plot :p