A Country Girl

The Unexpected

 


Hyesun unlocked and opened the front door of her house. She was still sleepy after got up from her bed so early this morning. However, she wanted to feel and breathe the freshness of morning air so bad.

She combed his long black hair with her fingers while her red lips exhaled warm breath to the air. Her white skin became pinkish on her cheeks. She blinked her round eyes many times, trying to get a nice view around her.

It was peaceful and refreshing before she spotted and realized her brother’s body was lying right on the top of the straw door mat, near her foot.

 

Hyesun scoffed, muttering under her breath. Still shaking her head, she slowly squatted and made sure was close enough to his brother ear.

“Jungmyung! Get your out of here!”

However, his brother just slightly flinched from his slumber. He murmured something faintly but he didn’t move at all.

“How dare you to ignore me, Jungmyung! Get up!” she shook Jungmyung’s body mercilessly.

Hyesun always called his older brother with his name when she was annoyed.

“You’re ruining my day!”

 

“Get up, Jungmyung! Jungmyung, Get up!  Ge-”

“Alright, alright! Don’t be so harsh!”

Jungmyung started wiggling then he lazily got up from the ground. Avoiding his sister’s glare, he made a stretching pose.

“Ouch! My ear,” he rubbed his ears while he stood up.

“That’s your fault! Who told you to sleep here!”

 

“Yeah, but this is still too early for you to produce something’s so loud!”

“It’s not my concern.”

Her brother now stood in front of Hyesun, facing her face while smiling. He patted his sister’s head softly trying to calm her temper.

“You know, girls should have soft voices. It’s important because they need to wake up their future husbands.” he said, “In your case, if you’re like this, it can’t be happen.”

Obviously it didn’t make his sister felt better.

She pushed her brother while saying, “Sorry for not having a sweet voice, but you do have to sleep in a proper place if you don’t want to hear me scream!”

 

“That’s why you’re still single, Hyesun-ah!” Jungmyung kept teasing his sister.

“What’s this all about? I told you to get up and now you’re teasing me.”

“I bet you’ll be tender to your boyfriend,”

“Tsch, could you shut up now?” Hyesun glared.

“Hey, watch your words, lady. Remember, I’m older than you.”

“Yeah, you’re the one who didn’t act like the older one, oppa!”

She emphasized the respectful word; oppa.

“Alright, alright. I’m sorry, okay? Just don’t pout because it’s too cute.”

Jungmyung gave in and hugged her sister before they went inside.

 

Hyesun could smell the scent of alcohol from his brother since earlier. She was very concerned about Jungmyung’s habit. His brother spent almost every night in the tavern to drink liquors. He wouldn’t stop until he knocked off, then he would return to home at dawn and ended with sleeping outside because Hyesun had locked the front door every night.

The former Jungmyung was a hard worker and also the cheerful, zestful one. He always cared his family members which were his mother and his only sister, Hyesun. He was such a lively person until the death of their mother three years ago.

 

“Oppa, go wash your body now. I’ll make our breakfast.” Hyesun spoke.

“By the way, we should sell our vegetables today. It must be ripe enough this time. Let’s go to the market later.” she added.

“But, I haven’t enough sleep yet. I won’t make it to the market. I’m so sleepy right now,” her brother answered.

Hye Sun sighed; lately his brother also was too weak to do the farm works. It made her became more tired than usual.

“Fine, I’ll go alone. But help me pick cabbages and potatoes to the basket.”

“Thank you, Hyesun-ah! I’ll do it now.” Jung Myung responded with bright smile.

 

“Don’t thank me! Just promise to never come home late again. Maybe I’ve said this for many times, but don’t drink too much. It’s bad for your health.”

His brother stopped near the back door; turned back to her with sad eyes.

“I’m sorry for making trouble, Hyesun-ah.” he said, “But I can’t promise you.”

“Why?”

“You know, I just can’t stand it.”

 

Since they were born, they had lived in this village. A small village sited at the southwestern of Eastland Imperial. Hyesun didn’t have an opportunity to know her father because he died three years after she was born. Jungmyung was only four years old when it happened.

Their mother said that their father died because of a sudden assault to their village by unknown gangster. Their father was a government military officer who officiated in this village at that time. Being a widower at such young age wasn’t easy for their mother. But, she could survive because she was always thinking about her children.

From that day, Hyesun’s mother started to work as a women dressmaker and taking a job as housemaid at the same time. Fortunately, dresses made by their mother were so famous in the village. So, its earnings plus the payment from Kim merchant’s house were enough for the three of them.

 

At his eighteenth, Jungmyung went to formal school. It looked like everything would go well, until their mother fell sick. At first, it looked like a common fatigue but over time it became worse. She couldn’t work and only lied on the bed for weeks. Jungmyung considered quitting school because they needed lots of money for her medication. But, their mother strictly prohibited Jungmyung to quit.

One day in winter three years ago, their mother lost her life. It was two days after Hyesun’s seventeenth birthday. That was the time Jungmyung decided to stop his education. The sadness that filled their hearts was unbearable. They were left with only two of them for each others. Time after time, it gradually changed their views of life. As if happiness was without a trace from their lives.

 

They now had to struggle to manage their living. They had a quite broad field besides their house which they used for farming purposes. So, the siblings lived through selling vegetables and fruits and also tending some live stocks.

His brother blamed himself for spending the money for his school expenses. But, it wasn’t true because whether he quitted or not, their mother had a serious ill which couldn’t be healed in the end. Jungmyung couldn’t accept it; he kept remember their mother suffering when he was at home. That was why he kept drinking; he could only  sleep after that.

 

Hyesun only let a deep sigh while she busy cooking in silence.

‘What about me, Jungmyung? I’m through it too. I can’t hold on to anybody. To whom shall I go?’

“I’m sorry my little sister,” Jungmyung whispered while he went outside as he could hear her thought.

Actually, it wasn’t only Jungmyung who suffered from their mother death. Hyesun was also devastated. She was tired mentally, but she couldn’t depend on anyone. No one was left there for her. Not also his brother.

 

                      *          *          *


AN:

It's about a village girl life ^^  next she will play an important role on this story .Woohoo!

The Hyesun one who was here was Original Character. I only choose Goo Hyesun as her image, okay? Please bear it :p

I imagine her brother as Chun Jung Myung (Hong Ki-Hoon in Cinderella's Sister) because I him as a guest on Running Man :p

Don't mistake him as Jun Myoon aka Suho.

So, what do you think?