Who Am I?

Who Am I?

 

 

My head...It hurts… I can’t feel my body. Am I dead? I don’t feel anything nor hear anything. I tried to make any move. I tried to control my muscles; even the slightest movement I can make would bring relief upon me. Yet I can’t feel anything. It seems as if I have gone numb. Maybe I am sleep but if I am, then why can’t I wake up? What I was doing before, I can’t recall. Am I in the space between the real and the dead world? It would make sense but how did I get here. I cannot even recall my previous memories of my life. My childhood I can’t even remember. As hard as I try, I cannot remember who my best friend is or my own parents. Did I love someone? Did I have siblings? If so I cannot remember them. I do not even remember who I am. Who am I?

 

It’s dark in here wherever I am. I feel a slight cold wind but I don’t see where it is coming from. All I see is darkness and more darkness. But there is something. A very faint, faint light. Maybe that light can help me. I can’t control my legs though. As hard as I try to move, I can’t. Even though I am not moving, the light seems to be coming closer and closer to me. Far in the distance near the small light, I see figures. Yet they are blurry. I think I recognize them but it is hard to tell. Maybe they can help me understand who I am. I try to call out to them but as much as I try to yell, no sound comes out. I see them walking away from me. I try to scream out not to leave but alas my voice does not make sound. I feel alone and colder. I try to my arms closer to my body begging for warmth, yet still my mind has no control over my muscles. It’s as if I have gone paralyzed from the neck down. The only thing that is working properly is my mind, however, that may not really be working either. This could all be an illusion. I’m so confused right now but more over I’m freezing. A strong gust of wind blew my way. I can’t feel anything yet I feel cold. I don’t understand.

 

The light comes closer towards me. I realize that as it comes closer, I get colder. I don’t want the cold anymore. I don’t want the light to come closer. I try to scream to go away but with no avail. The light is getting closer and closer. I hear something. I think some of my senses are working again. I hear something faint but I can’t make out what it is. The light keeps moving closer and my body keeps getting colder. I hear something again. I try to scream out but it comes out in a faint whisper. I start to brighten up a bit that my senses are working and more importantly my voice is coming back.

 

“H-hello?” I call out but it come out just below a whisper. The light is almost near me. I look down at my hands and try to move them. I focus as hard as I can to move them. Suddenly the ends of my finger tips start to twitch. This brings a smile upon my face. I’m getting my movement back. Once I fully recover I can figure out how to get out of here. I hear that sound again. It’s as if someone is calling me. I don’t recognize the voice though.

 

“Hello?” I call out but it still comes out as a whisper. The light is almost upon me and with that my body is well beyond freezing. I try to move my fingers once again but again they only twitch. I am scared. I don’t want this light to come any closer to me not until I can control myself. I don’t feel like me at the moment.

 

“H-Hey!” I hear a voice call out! I can hear it a bit more clearly now. Someone is calling out for me but I don’t know who. I call out again for that person.

 

“Help me!” I try to yell but it still remains in a whisper. All of a sudden my mouth starts to get dry. I can’t speak again due to my mouth so dry. I need water to quench my thirst. I can feel my mouth all rough and cold. I try to call out to the voice again but my mouth is too dry. I have to get help. I have to get out of here! I’m starting to get really scared. The light was right in front of me. I close my eyes from the brightness. I just want this to end. Suddenly I feel a shake. My whole body is being shaken. I’m scared. What is happening to me? The light engulfs me and now all I see is brightness through my eyelids.

 

“Hey!” a voice calls out. I can hear it loud and clear this time. My body is once more shaken. My eyes slight crack open as I try to adjust to the new light. I scan the area in front of me and all I see is white. I squint my eyes again trying to get a better and clearer look. As I open my eyes again I see someone next to me.

 

“Oh thank goodness you’re not dead!” this person exclaims joyfully. This person took me by surprise. I look around at my surroundings. I see white all over. It must be snow. I see many trees that have lost their luscious green and now snow has covered them. As I look up more snow is falling down.  All I can think of is: where am I now? Suddenly my train of thought is broken when that voice speaks again.

 

“Are you alright? Can you move?” The person had a concerned look upon their face. I turn and look at my position. I am leaning against a tree in the snow. All I am wear is an old tattered brown dress with a cloak. I notice that I don’t have any shoes. Where are my shoes? I look at my hands and try to move them. To my relief I curled my stiff hand into a ball. The person is just watching my actions as I move my other hand in front of my face. I smile once more and then turn my attention to the person in front of me. I can’t really get a good picture of what the person looks like because of the all the layers of clothing. I open my mouth and try to speak but once again nothing comes out. My throat is so dry due to the cold weather. The person notices this and speaks.

 

“Can you hear me?” the person asks. I nod.

 

“Are you alright?” The person asks again. I nod.

 

“Can you move?” The person asks once more. I shake my head. The person understood and got on their knees.

 

“Okay, I’m going to carry you to my house. Don’t worry you will get better there. It is better than being out here in the cold. You hardly have much layers of clothing on”, the person said as they got in front of me and squatted. The person took my arms and wrapped them around their neck. The stranger’s warmth took me by surprise. Soon I was immediately hugging over the stranger as the person started to stand up. My entire front body and arms started to tingle as it made contact with the stranger.  As we made our way up the hill, I turned back to see a bigger view of where I was laying. It looked to be just the outside of a deep forest. All I could think was: what was I doing sitting there?

 

As we continue walking, I notice that we were heading into a small village. It had a town center and shops surrounding the area. We continued on down the road until the stranger finally stopped at a house in front of us. I examined the house. It wasn’t a big house, more like a cottage house. There was smoke coming out of the chimney and a light in the window. Even though it was daylight outside the clouds covered the sun and made the sky look grey. The stranger walked up to the house and opened the door. All of a sudden a huge wave of heat rushed upon my face and my nerves started to tingle. I smiled at the warmth since it seemed like forever from the last time I have felt warmth. The person walked over to the living room and gently placed me down on the couch. I could feel my muscles under my control again but when I tried to move it felt like a thousand needles sticking me so a stayed still. The person went into another room and left me there. I looked around and saw that it was quite comfy. There was a small kitchen in the corner with a dinner table and where I was there was a couch and table and a fireplace. I looked some more around. I saw that there were two other rooms yet I couldn’t see what were in them because the doors were closed.

 

Suddenly, the stranger comes out and places a large quilt on top of me. The person starts to take off their heavy jacket and scarf. I finally get to see that the stranger who carried me was a girl. It would amaze me that a girl with a slim figure could carry me. She wasn’t too skinny, yet just perfectly figured. She took off her hat and her brown locks fell down and framed her face. Her skin glowed a pretty white due to the fire’s light. I just examined her for a minute as she walked over into the small kitchen and poured some hot tea for two. She walked over towards me and placed one cup in front of me and took a seat across from me.

 

“It’s tea. Try it. It will help warm up your body from the cold”, she offered. I took the cup in my hand and took a sip. I felt my mouth wasn’t parched anymore and the warm tea sparking all my nerves awake. My eyes immediately lit up at the warmth and that brought a smile to the girl’s face. We sat there for a minute drinking our tea and trying to warm up. Suddenly the girl spoke, “Oh sorry for being rude, my name is Taeyeon. What is yours?”

 

My name. What is my name? I wish I knew but how would I tell her who I am if I don’t even know? I wish I knew who I am.