Chapter 1.

please ... don't forget 'us'

 

It’s been three years since Yesung last saw Donghae. They broke up in 2010 because Yesung got a scholarship in China and Donghae couldn’t handle the long distance relationship. The last time they saw each other was when they had a video chat with each other while they were still a couple.

March 25th, 2010.
“I’m going to the airport.” Donghae said, walking out of the dance studio. “You can’t!” Eunhyuk said. Donghae turned to look at Eunhyuk. “Why can’t I?” Donghae argued. “Why can’t I see my boyfriend for the last time?” he yelled. Eunhyuk sighed. “Yesung told me that he didn’t want to see you cry before he left.” Eunhyuk said. Donghae continued to look at Eunhyuk. “I don’t care if he doesn’t want to see me cry, I just want to see him for the last time.” Donghae ended the argument and stormed out of the studio. Eunhyuk sighed. “This guy is crazy.” Eunhyuk mumbled.

Yesung sat down in his seat and waited for his plane. He was an hour early and had no idea why. He was listening to music while sleeping. He thought sleeping would waste time. People started to come to the gate lounge and sit. Donghae blended in with the group of people who were filling up the gate. He looked around for Yesung. Yesung was woken by the loud crowd. He looked at the people and then went back to sleep. Just ignore it. Donghae saw Yesung sleeping and he smiled. “He is cute when he smiles.” He mumbled really quietly so no one could hear him. He went over to Yesung and patted him on the knee. “Stop it.” Yesung complained. Donghae giggled. “Still sleepy huh?” Donghae asked. Yesung woke up at the sound of Donghae’s voice. “What are you doing here? Didn’t Eunhyuk tell you not to come and see me?” Yesung asked. Donghae swallowed. “He did tell me but I didn’t want to listen.” Donghae said. Yesung smiled. “I’m happy that you came to see me. Thank you.” Yesung thanked, kissing Donghae’s forehead.

Donghae looked down at Yesung’s bags and sighed. His heart sank knowing that he was leaving for 5 or more years. “You’re really leaving now.” Donghae said. The two of them stood at the entrance gate of the airplane. Yesung was gripping onto his bag tightly. “Yep.” Yesung mumbled. Donghae bit his lip, trying to hide the tears. Yesung began to cry. “Promise me you won’t forget me?” Yesung asked, holding tightly onto Donghae’s hand. Donghae nodded. The flight attendant was getting annoyed. “Mr. Kim, the airplane is going to leave without you if you don’t board now.” Yesung nodded and looked back at Donghae. “I guess this is goodbye then.” Donghae muttered. Yesung sighed and nodded. “I’ll promise to contact you every day.” Yesung promised. Donghae’s heart warmed. With that, Yesung slipped his hand away from Donghae’s and sighed. “I’ll miss you.” Donghae said, watching his lover walk away from him forever. Yesung shed tears as he walked onto the plane.

Yesung was standing on the balcony, crying. "Eunhyuk you idiot!!" he cursed. Donghae found Yesung and stood at the door frame, watching him cry. "How could I let you be like this?" he mumbled. Yesung turned around when he heard Donghae's voice. "Donghae." Yesung called. Donghae walked closer to Yesung and faced him. Yesung looked at what Donghae was about to do. Donghae placed his hands on Yesung’s face and Yesung felt his heart race. Donghae leaned into Yesung and smiled. “Donghae, do you … l-“Yesung stuttered. “No, I don’t like you. I love you.” He said, kissing Yesung on the lips. After Donghae kissed Yesung, Yesung was still in shock. “Donghae, you like me?” Donghae nodded. Yesung smiled. “Well, I like you too… a lot.” Yesung smiled and held Donghae’s hand. Both of their hearts raced and they were happy together. 

Yesung sat in his airplane chair, looked at the window and sighed. “This is goodbye… Lee Dong Hae.” He mumbled. His fists clenched tightly and he tried his hardest keeping the tears in. Donghae meant the world to Yesung and he was upset that he had to go. Donghae sat silently in his car, driving with no music on. Memories were spreading in his mind like wild fire. He stopped in front of the house and sighed. He swallowed and put his head back onto the seat chair. He hit his hands on the wheel and let his anger out. He was upset, angry and pissed off. He opened the door and the cold air spread across the car rapidly. Donghae shivered. He stepped out of the car and sighed. He slammed the door and walked into the house. As he walked inside his house, his anger faded and turned into sadness and he started to shed tears. He felt broken that his boyfriend left him.

Yesung was at his hotel that night, scared to sleep. He was in a country that he knew nothing about. He couldn’t speak or read Chinese. The lights of Beijing were shining into Yesung’s hotel room. He got his phone off the bed and held it in his hands tightly. “Should I text him now?” he asked himself, mumbling. He turned it on and went straight to his messages. “I’ll ask him how he has been since I left him a few hours ago.” He sighed. His fingers pressed lightly onto the screen, typing the message. He tried his hardest to hold back the tears but failed. He lied back on his bed and his phone fell out of his hand, the message unsent. Yesung: Donghae-ah, how is everything in Korea? I left you 5 hours ago and now I feel like crap. Everything here isn’t written in Korean… it’s written in Chinese and I can’t understand anything. No one speaks Korean here so it’s quite saddening. I want to come back to Korea … I want to come back to you … [sent at 10:00PM]

Yesung held Donghae’s hand as he led him inside the dining room. Donghae had his eyes closed the whole time. The candle let out a pleasant smell that filled the whole room. Yesung pulled out a chair for Donghae and gently pushed him down. “You can open your eyes now.” He whispered as he sat down. Donghae opened his eyes and looked at the candle light dinner Yesung had set up for him. “It’s beautiful.” Donghae whispered. Yesung smiled. The two of them ate comfortably in front of each other. Donghae sat on the couch, Yesung’s hair as his head rested on his leg. “I’m so happy we are together.” Donghae whispered, kissing Yesung’s forehead. Yesung sat up and faced Donghae. “You should thank Eunhyuk for doing it.” Yesung smiled and kissed Donghae on the lips.

“I miss him so much.” Donghae mumbled, crying.
“I hate this.” Yesung mumbled before falling asleep.