CHAPTER 14: PARK JUNGSOO

Silver City College

 

Exam was finally over and there will be a soccer tournament between Silver City College and other college that will be held in order to strengthen the relationship between each college. It was just a small tournament but most students were looking forward to it because they wanted to support their own college.

      It has been a couple of weeks since Siwon told Donghae, Kyuhyun and Sungmin about Hyukjae’s incident but they never treated Hyukjae any difference. In fact, they didn’t even mention at him that they knew about the incident to prevent any misunderstanding. In addition, Hyukjae wasn’t feeling good after he came back from his hometown. Plus, all the students were stressed out because of the examination week and could care less of other things but to focus on their studies. Kyuhyun even abandoned his games to catch up his studies, Sungmin stayed awake most of the night, Donghae revising each subjects whenever he can, and Hyukjae cannot be seen reading his manga anymore often.      

      Thus, after the exam was over, the selected students from Silver City College had been practicing soccer for the tournament. Two of the team player from the college’s soccer team came from room number 11 and it were none other than Lee Hyukjae and Lee Donghae. Kyuhyun and Sungmin were very proud of their own roommates because they represented their college to challenge the other college.       They practiced hard under the guidance of Coach Jongwoon. If Donghae thought his lecturer Mr. Kim was a freaky dude, Coach Jongwoon was no difference.

      “Kyu, Ming, we’ll be leaving for practice. Goodbye!” said Donghae and Hyukjae to both of their roommates. “Okay, go kick some , Hae and Hyukkie!” Donghae and Hyukjae said farewell to their roommates and headed to the field where they would meet their other teammates and coach. From a far they could recognize Coach Jongwoon right away. He had a pink hair, for God sake.

      “Ewww… I still can’t get over the fact that Coach Jongwoon has a pink hair.” Complained Hyukjae. Donghae then added, “I hope Sungmin will not follow his footstep into dying the hair color to pink. His pink stuff is bad enough. I think people looked best in blonde hair, like someone.” Donghae stared at Hyukjae and gave him the sweet smile. Hyukjae nudged Donghae due to embarrassment and said something to cover his shyness. “I know I look hot in blonde, you don’t need to tell me that.” “Aaah Hyukkie, you’re blushing. Its winter and you are obviously blushing~~~” Donghae kept teasing Hyukjae when Hyukjae’s face was already red in color. “Stop it, we’re already at the field, Hae…” Donghae slapped playfully at Hyukjae’s neck and stopped teasing Hyukjae when they were already arrived at the field with Coach Jongwoon sorting the teammates onto their position.

      “Hello there Coach. We’re ready to serve you.” Donghae said playfully to Coach Jongwoon. Coach Jongwoon rolled his eyes upon hearing what Donghae said and ignored him. Instead, he called the captain of the team. Donghae pouted. “Captain Kang, come here! You discussed with these two about attacking. They’re the midfielder right?” The one who was called as Captain Kang came closer to them. He was none other than Kangin, the captain of the soccer team in Silver City College.

      Kangin had a well-built body and he was definitely strong. He was also fastest in reflex; that was why he ended up as a goalkeeper. It was hard to beat him in goal post, so Kangin was one of Silver City College’s hidden cards. He also a very good captain, but sometimes he likes to bully his teammates by asking them to buy him food and treat him to dinner.

      “Hey Donghae, Hyukjae, you guys should……” so the tactical discussion has begun and they spent the entire morning practicing soccer even though the weather was too cold. Coach Jongwoon spent his time eating the hamburger and munching snacks and also drinking coffee latte and then he will start babbling about the strategies and asked them to be prepared mentally and physically. It was like they were preparing to enter the army or something. Maybe Coach Jongwoon had some bitter experience during the army, who knows?

      The day of the tournament was finally arrived and all the students from the college gathered around at the field with Silver City as the home side. It was a windy morning and the home side was waiting for the arrival of the away team. Before the match, they will have an introduction session between the two teams in order to reach the objective of the tournament; to strengthen the relationship between the two colleges. Silver City team was all ready with silver jersey and was proud to represent their college.

      A lot of good luck messages and supports were sent throughout the college to the soccer team. Donghae and Hyukjae were very happy and determined to bring the victory to the home team and defeat the other team with full motivation.

      A red bus from the away team was seen arriving at the main gate of Silver City College. The bus stopped at the field and they could see one by one the player from the away team stepped outside the bus. That team looked quite scary for some specific reasons. Almost every player from that team already stepped outside and the last person to step outside was their captain. Upon seeing that figure, Hyukjae suddenly froze at his spot and grabbed Donghae’s hand tightly. He gritted his teeth and he could feel his breathing was uneven. His heartbeat went faster and he felt like collapsing at that exact spot. Donghae realized what was happening to Hyukjae and turned to him. “What is it Hyukkie? Did you have gastric pain again?” Donghae looked at Hyukjae’s face worriedly. Hyukjae breathed harder and he looked a sudden pale on his face.

      The away team moved closer to the home team and they queued in a straight line just in front of home team. Hyukjae gripped his hand even tighter at Donghae’s. Donghae was about to ask Hyukjae again what was going on but then the announcement was made.

      “Welcome to the Silver City College where we held the motto ‘Believe You Can and You Are Halfway There’. Today, we will be holding a soccer match between us and Red Town College as to reach our objective, which is to strengthen the relationship between our college and the higher level college. Awesome, isn’t it? Looking good! I expect each team to perform the best that they could and prevent any dirty tactics to win. Yes, now it’s time to shake hands for both team.” It was Mr. Kim who made the announcement through the speaker. Mr. Kim, or his full name Kim Heechul wore another glittery silver outfit that matched the home team’s jersey and again with his magical hat-like that covered his curly hair.

      The Red Town College moved one by one to shake hand with the Silver City College. Hyukjae couldn’t move his hand away from his grip to Donghae’s. He was obviously looking scared and his lips were mouthing to something. He was practically shaking throughout the shaking hands process. “Hyukkie, what’s wrong? Are you sick? You’re nervous about the game? Hyukkie, why are you gripping my hands so tightly?” Donghae shook Hyukjae’s body several times but Hyukjae won’t come to his senses. He looked really scared and when the captain of Red Town College finally arrived in front of Hyukjae’s spot to shake hand, Hyukjae’s eyes kept focusing on the grass of the field. He couldn’t make eye contact with the captain.

      The captain of the Red Town College has a well-built body just like Captain Kang, but he looked much scarier. He stopped at Hyukjae and gave him a death glare and observed Hyukjae for a long time. That stole the attentions of the other players. Hyukjae could only froze at his spot and looked below and lowered his head without looking at that captain. That captain looked at Hyukjae angrily and he finally spoke. “Hey, didn’t you learn any manners? You should shake hands with us, brat! Head’s up!” He cupped Hyukjae’s face and pulled it upwards and finally saw Hyukjae’s face. The look on that captain’s face when he saw Hyukjae’s face was something like someone just punched him on the face.

      “You??” that captain spoke when he saw Hyukjae’s face. Hyukjae couldn’t speak any word at all. He looked like he was about to break into tears. Donghae observed the situation with a big frown on his face. ‘What is happening?’ That captain then spoke again, “You’re so dead in this game! I’m Park Jungsoo, and here we meet, and I’m so glad I did.”