20

Where the Frivolous Gather

20;QMI

 

Zhou Mi had the entire world of knowledge within himself. The wires and plugs that made up his brain made sure of that. There was one thing Zhou Mi did not have though, and that was online games. He would not consider himself addicted, but that was only because he knew the exact definition of the word and knew he did not fit the requirements. Kyuhyun, his human, on the other hand tossed the word around sporadically when any mention of his gaming habits came up. That was besides the point though. What did a human know? 

 

"You'd think both of you would be on par." Kyuhyun said as he watched Zhou Mi play against the computer in a game of pong. "But you're failing miserably." 

 

"Maybe if you took the time to oil my joints and take proper care of me, I would be able to move the mouse faster." Zhou Mi retorted, swiveling his wrist around next to Kyuhyun's ear just to make sure his human would hear the squeaking. 

 

"Whatever." Kyuhyun snorted and continued on his way to his bedroom. He'd be there for the next five hours studying at least, which meant Zhou Mi had four more hours to play games online. It was a rare occurrence due to the fact that Kyuhyun was indeed addicted to computer games. Namely Starcraft, which Zhou Mi did not find very fun at all. His human would spend more hours in front of that computer clicking away at spots on the screen than he would hunched over his desk studying. 

 

Zhou Mi continued playing pong with the computer for another half hour before he searched for a different website to play games on. He always found it a little weird when he asked the computer to look something up for him. Typically that was Zhou Mi's job and he quite enjoyed it, but commanding something that was essentially him without a humanoid body left him feeling a little odd. He apologized to the machine every time. 

 

He found a site that he had never used before and promptly signed up so he could play all the games he wanted. Kyuhyun didn't have to know that he'd be paying $4.99 a month just to sate Zhou Mi's needs. The process of creating a username was a little difficult for Zhou Mi; he wanted to be creative, but he also wanted to keep it simple. Whenever he used his name, the computer would prompt him to come up with a different one because the one he wanted was already taken. This ensued in hours of protesting and whining and one sided conversation between Zhou Mi and the computer. He finally managed to come up with one though after recalling a nickname Kyuhyun had come up with for him a few days ago. 

 

With the new username of sunbeam, and a password ready to go, Zhou Mi filled out the rest of the questions honestly until he came to the bottom of the page. 

 

"Please enter the words and numbers below. We just want to prove you are not a robot." 

 

Zhou Mi blinked in confusion. He could read the twisted letters and numbers in the tiny box perfectly. Were other robots incapable of that? He frowned and moved his hand to start typing in the characters, but stopped mid-air. He couldn't lie. That was like betraying his own kind. Zhou Mi bit his lip and anxiously twirled his fingers. What to do? He looked towards Kyuhyun's closed door in question. Maybe..... 

 

But no. He knew better than to disturb Kyuhyun during study hours, especially during finals week. It wasn't unusual for Kyuhyun to put him in sleep mode if Zhou Mi got a bit insufferable. (Which happened often.) Sometimes he did it just as a precaution.  

 

He really did want to play games though. It had been a good two hours and Kyuhyun needed to take a break anyways. He'd end up with a sore back if he didn't stand up and stretch for a while. Zhou Mi convinced himself that he was doing a good deed. This was helping his human, not bothering him. He was such a good robot.  

 

Zhou Mi put on his best puppy face that he had very recently learned to recreate and was quite good at apparently. At least, so said Kyuhyun when he relented and gave Zhou Mi more coffee than he required in the mornings. The robot was very proud of himself whenever he learned human mannerisms and managed to make them believable. 

 

He tapped lightly on the door and let himself in after hearing a faint groan and some mumbles. Just as he expected, Kyuhyun had managed to get himself in what looked like a very uncomfortable and impossible position. Human joints worked differently though, so maybe it wasn't as terrible as Zhou Mi though. He relented and made his way to Kyuhyun's side. There were many ways he could go about this which made him very nervous. With robots, there was usually one way to do things and the outcome was always the same. Humans were always finicky and could react differently to the same things. Zhou Mi thought that was a weird bug to have and wondered why nobody ever bother to fix it. 

 

With a pout, Zhou Mi ended up tugging on Kyuhyun's sleeve softly. "I need your assistance."  

 

"I'm busy." Kyuhyun said offhandedly, turning another page in his text book. "Can it wait?" 

 

"No. It's rather important." Zhou Mi insisted, still tugging his sleeve, "Also my joints are aching and my head hurts."

 

"One thing at a time." Kyuhyun groaned and stood up with a groan. He stuck his arms in the air and stretched slowly, in satisfaction every time his bones popped. "Can robots even get head aches?"  

 

Kyuhyun followed a very incessant Zhou Mi back to his computer and held in the angry sigh once he realized what the problem was. They had been over this before. Many times. 

 

"Zhou Mi. You are ridiculous." He grumbled and pushed his useless robot away, typing in the captcha on the screen. "You can enter it yourself. We've been through this." 

 

The robot frowned, "I do not want to lie to the computer. It is only trying to do its' job." 

 

"You are being turned off for sure next time." 

 


 

based on a prompt i saw on tumblr. just a lil something something to pass the time until i have actual time to update maybe. ;u;