16

Where the Frivolous Gather

16; KyuMin

It’s around 5:30 in the afternoon and college students have begun crowding the few sitting areas in the small library. Hordes of chatty girls and boys that look like they’d rather be anywhere but here take up tables and chairs, filling the place with their groans and conversations. Sungmin huffs angrily behind the reception counter, flipping through a dingy physics book that he can’t even attempt to concentrate on with all of the incessant racket. He sends daggers with his glares directed at the students, hoping that maybe they’ll catch on to how annoyed he is and just shut the up already. Nobody notices though, their generation is an ignorant one.

He continues to glare at the tiny words in the textbook, turning each page with an annoyed sigh and flipping them back because he’s already forgotten what he’s read. He blows a piece of light brown hair out of his eyes and almost wants to scream when it falls right back into place. He hated stray pieces of hair, he hated mid-terms, he hated loud people, he hated everything.

“You look like you’re about to kill someone.”

“Don’t tempt me.” Sungmin slams his book closed and looks up to eye his half welcomed distraction.

The boy in front of him is tall with amber coloured hair and a grin that is both creepy and cute and sort of reminds Sungmin of Totoro. His red fleece jacket is wrinkled and half zipped and the uneven strings of his hood don’t go unnoticed, he’s dishevelled as usual. Sungmin tucks a strand of hair behind his ear and rests his chin on the palm of his hand, raising his eyebrows expectantly, choosing not to make a snide comment at the boy’s appearance for once.

“I brought you a snack.” He says and holds out a bag of trail mix and a bottle of tea, “I figured you’d be grumpy, so I thought food might help appease you.”

“You thought right.” Sungmin takes the food and drink happily, picking out a few M&M’s and munching on them with a small smile, “What are you really doing here, Kyuhyun?”

“I can’t visit the object of my affection?” Kyuhyun asks, feigning offence.

“You can, but you have a look on your face that practically screams ulterior motives.”

“You know me too well, Min.” Kyuhyun smiles at him. That kind of smile that says ‘no matter how much you want to strangle me, you won’t because you love me too much and I know it’.

“Get on it with it then.” Sungmin sighs, taking a sip of tea and picking at the trail mix. He never did like raisins.

“I was wondering if you’d help me with my project.”

“No.” Sungmin replies hastily, already turning away from Kyuhyun.

“Come on, Min! I really need your help and you can study the whole time if you want.” Kyuhyun pleads, eyes round and blinking, a pretty pink pout playing on his lips.

“Not just no, but hell no. Do you not recall the last time I helped you? I couldn’t walk properly for 2 weeks! No, absolutely not.”

“Minnie,” Kyuhyun whines and shimmies his shoulders a little, “Please? I’ll do whatever you want! Anything, really!”

“Anything?” Sungmin repeats sceptically, a smirk decorating his face.

“Anything within reason.” Kyuhyun corrects.

“Fine, I’ll do it. Wait at my place, I’ll be out soon.”

“I love you, Min. Really; I seriously, irrevocably, ardently love you.”

“Save your proclamations of love for later, Kyuhyun. I have a feeling you’re going to be using them for a while. I can feel my back cramping already.” Sungmin says with a frown.

Kyuhyun kisses the grimace away and hops out of the library, leaving Sungmin to deal with the throng of students wanting to check out books to study from.

…~…~…~…~…

“Okay, now put your head on top of your arms and angle it slightly to the left.” Kyuhyun directs, adjusting Sungmin’s hips and shoulders slightly, “Can you splay your fingers out a little bit? Hmm, maybe a little less splayed – there! Perfect! Now, don’t move.”

“I just want you to know how much I hate you right now.” Sungmin sneers, “And do I really have to for this? It’s freezing in here. Why did you mess with my thermostat?” He frowns and moves his head just the slightest bit.

“Sungmin!” Kyuhyun groans, going back to place his head in the original position, “Seriously, don’t move until I’m done! And to answer your questions, no, you don’t have to be, but why not spice it up a little? Plus, I wanted to sculpt your . It’s only freezing to you because you’re used to it being the temperature of the deepest depths of hell in here.”

He places large chunks of light blue clay onto Sungmin’s table which had been covered with an old tablecloth due to Sungmin’s nagging about not wanting to get his table all sticky and having to deal with bits of clay all over it for the next three months. His lithe fingers work quickly to form a medium sized body that was supposed to resemble Sungmin’s. He presses deeply into the clay, creating curves precisely where they belonged. Sungmin sighs and tries not to move even a millimetre, afraid that even breathing would mess Kyuhyun up. He can’t complain too much though, at least this position was more comfortable than the one from last time. He almost shuddered at the thought.

Kyuhyun glanced up at him every now and then, sometimes smiling softly and other times with his brows furrowed in concentration. He used a sewing needle to carve out the details of the brunette’s face, tsking when a small detail didn’t come out the way he wanted it to and had to smudge it away. He found that getting Sungmin’s eyes just right was proving to be difficult and was very displeased by that fact.

“Why do you have to be so perfect, Minnie?” He complained after smudging out the left eye for the fourth time.

Sungmin blushed and smiled bashfully, “I’m not perfect.”

“Can you not just take my compliment?” Kyuhyun admonished, finally happy with the left eye.

“Nope.” Sungmin replied, popping the p at the end. “How much longer is this going to take? I’m already bored.”

“I’ve only just started.” Kyuhyun said, frowning as he worked on Sungmin’s pixie nose, “You’re going to be here for quite a while. I thought you knew this?”

“I did, but I was hoping you would just decide to be a good boyfriend and not make me lie here for 8 hours.”

“Well, looks like you’re out of luck.” Kyuhyun laughs, “Would you like me to turn on the TV?”

“No,” Sungmin muses, “tell me a story instead.”

“A story? About what?”

“Anything, make one up.”

Kyuhyun sighs like just the idea alone was draining, “Once upon a time – “

“No! You can’t start it off like that! That’s so cliché, Kyuhyun!”

“It was a dark and stormy night,”

Kyuhyun.” Sungmin scolds.

“Fine, fine. A thousand years ago, on this very day, the world went through a very traumatic event that would forever affect them...” Kyuhyun went on about an alien invasion being interrupted by Sungmin every time he said something that wasn’t up to the smaller’s story telling standards. His voice nearly lulled Sungmin to sleep at one point, though the older man got a very stern scolding for letting his head loll just the tiniest centimetre to the left.

Nearly seven hours and a million snarky conversations later, Kyuhyun finishes with the sculpture. He admires it for a few minutes, smiling at the perfection and likeness to Sungmin he created. A whimper and groan bring him out of his prideful musing, though. The younger is immediately at Sungmin’s side, helping him sit up.

“I think I’ve lost all movement on my left side.” He pouts, attempting to throw a punch to Kyuhyun’s arm, “I hate you.”

“I love you too, Min.” Kyuhyun laughs, already massaging Sungmin’s shoulders. “I’ll make it up to you.”

“Damn right you will.”


This was actually the start of a series revolving around the library that would've told the stories of two other couples, but I just don't feel like writing it at the moment. Maybe I will eventually. It was going to be really sad though. (I can just hear you all doing that sarcastic gasp. Winter?? Write something sad???? No??!!!!!) orz

Thanks for reading!

Comment if you wish!

Love you, snowflakes!~ ♥