The Mystery called 'Dongwoon'.

As Time goes by, we will never stay the same.

 

The adventure at the CF shooting was really able to clear my head, so that I could concentrate on my music without pressure. Thinking about Ha Ni and Yoseob kinda led me to think about Taec. All those years we've been together, I've always thought that nothing would separate us. That our love would last forever. Only now did I realize how naive and delusional I've been. Because as time goes by, we would never stay the same. We changed and so did our feelings for each other.

It was not like there would never be a happily ever after but it seems like Taec wasn't the one for me. Sad but true.

Thinking about this, I decided to put my very own story with Taec into a song. I wrote lyrics and composed music during the days and during the nights. When it was time to present the final result, I was sure that I did my best.

While sitting in the studio, I tried to observe the composer's expression again. And once again, his face gave nothing away. When he finished listening to the music and reading my lyrics, he turned to me.

Hmmm, I don't know what to say.”

My heart stopped beating for a moment. “And? How is it?”

Hm, to be honest, some parts were still a bit off.”

Ah, crap. Goodbye dream of getting the job.

He smiled. “But we can perfect these parts together.”

I paused. “Wait....does this mean....”

Yes. Welcome to Cube. You're now a composer assistant.”

Oh my gosh, thank you!”

No need to thank me. Your talent was what brought you here. You just need to talk to the staff manager again to settle the paperwork and then you can start working tomorrow.”

Thank you!”, I said and rushed out of the studio.

Oh my gosh! I really did it!! I finally managed to take a step closer to my dream!

Totally happy, I sprinted towards the office of the staff manager. On the way to his office, I bumped into Ha Ni. Instead of greeting me, she shot me a glare.

Okay, we were still not talking to each other. I really meant to apologize to her but she didn't give me the opportunity to do it. Whenever we met, she would just glare at me and walk away.

This time I didn't want to give her the chance to do it again.

Before she could walk away, I quickly said: “I did it. I got the job.”

She froze and widened her eyes at me. “What?”

I got the job! From today on, I'm the new composer assistant for Cube.”

Oh my gosh.”, she said. Then she walked towards me and hugged me. “Congrats, Thu Ha.”

I hugged her back. “Thank you Ha Ni. And sorry for being such a jerk at the CF shooting.”

It's okay, I was a jerk, too.”

Everything okay between us?”

Sure.” She smiled. “You know what? Let's celebrate.”

Celebrate? No, that's not necessary.”

Of course it is.”

But I still have to go to the staff manager first.”

Okay, I just wanted to have lunch with the boys. We could celebrate together with them.”

Boys?”, I asked confusedly.

The BEAST boys. Is that okay? If not, we could go alone.”

I didn't want to be selfish because I could clearly see that Ha Ni really wanted to have lunch with the boys.

No, it's okay. Where do I meet you?”

In 15 minutes in practice room 4?”

Okay, see you later.”, I said and rushed off.

 

After the meeting with the staff manager, I quickly went towards practice room 4. When I was in front of the door, I could hear a lot of people laughing. Okay, maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. I mean, I didn't even know them that well. It would definitely be awkward.

Before I could bolt, Ha Ni appeared at the door.

Do you want to come in or do you want to continue eavesdropping?”, she asked and smiled.

I blushed. “I wasn't eavesdropping.”

I was just joking. Come on, let's get inside.”

I took a deep breath and entered the room. All the boys were sitting on the floor in a circle. Noticing my hesitation, Ha Ni grabbed my hand and pulled me towards them.

Guys, this is my friend Thu Ha. From today on, she'll be the new composer assistant.”, Ha Ni declared.

They all looked up and stared at me. Awkward to the max. Yoseob and Dongwoon must have recognized me immediately because they were frowning as soon as they saw me. After a while, Doojoon was also frowning at me.

I smiled. “Hi. I'm Thu Ha. Nice to meet you.”

Ha Ni sat down and pulled me to her. I was sitting between her and a guy I didn't know yet. What caught my attention was his sweet smile which always reaches his eyes. So that was the infamous 'eye smile' everyone was talking about.

I also noticed that Ha Ni was sitting as far from Yoseob as possible. Or maybe it was just coincidence. Who knows.

When we were all sitting on the floor, they all introduced themselves to me. I already knew Doojoon, Yoseob and Dongwoon. Now I got to know that the guy with the 'eye smile', who was sitting next to me, was called Kikwang. The guy with red hair was Hyunseung and the guy with purple hair was Junhyung. Ha Ni whispered to me that they both were BEAST'S chic guys and that I shouldn't be offended if they didn't talk with me at first.

We ate and drank and they all congratulated me on being the new composer assistant. They were all really dorky and entertaining, I had a great time. While eating, I kept on talking with Kikwang. He was very charming and I really loved his 'eye smile'. Once in a while I glanced up and saw Dongwoon giving Kikwang a disapproving look. I also noticed that Ha Ni was talking to everyone....except Yoseob. They both didn't even look at each other once. Maybe it really wasn't just my imagination. I really would like to hear the story about those two. If Ha Ni haven't been dating Wooyoung, I would've guesses that she and Yoseob had a lover's quarrel. Memo to myself: ask Ha Ni about it.

When we finished eating, we all cleaned the floor and sat down again to eat Patbingsoo.

I'm really curious about something....you aren't Korean, are you?”, someone asked me.

Startled, I turned to the side. Instead of Kikwang, Dongwoon was sitting next to me now, giving me a dazzling smile. I was still fascinated by his handsome face, when I finally realized that he has been asking me a question.

Uhm no, I'm not. I'm Vietnamese.”

Wow, where have you been learning Korean?”

Back in Germany.”

Wait, you are Vietnamese but you've been living in Germany?”

Well, I was born there.”

Very extraordinary.”

I blushed and continued eating Patbingsoo.

Thu Ha-ssi.”

I looked up. “Hm?”

Suddenly he reached out with his thumb and gently wiped away something from my cheek. My face was red as a tomato now.

What -”

He smiled. “You had Patbingsoo on your cheek.”

Oh....uhm...thank you.”

You're welcome.”, he said and continued eating his Patbingsoo with a smirk on his face.

I needed a moment to pull myself together. When I looked up, I noticed that both Ha Ni and Yoseob were frowning at Dongwoon. What the heck? Were they twins or what? Always saying or doing the same things. Huh.

After eating, Ha Ni and me, we got ready to leave because the boys had to continue practicing and Ha Ni had to return to her lessons. We said goodbye to the boys and left. When we were at the the elevators, Ha Ni pulled me aside.

Thu Ha, even if we stopped fighting, I still don't think that it's wise to be so close to Dongwoon.”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Ha Ni, can we stop talking about this, please? No matter how many times you tell me to stay away Dongwoon, I still think that you and Yoseob are wrong.”

Wait, what do you mean by 'Yoseob and me'?”

You both have been constantly telling me to stay away from Dongwoon. What's up with you two anyway?”

Long story.”

Whatever, just stop bothering me with this, okay? I'm old enough to decide own my own.”

Thu Ha...”

No, I mean it. Thank you for worrying about me but stop annoying me.”

Okay but don't say that I didn't warn you.”

Duly noted.”

She sighed. “Good, I'll stop bothering you with this. I can't say the same for Yoseob Sunbae though. You'll have to talk to him personally.”

You know, one day I'd really like to know what's going on between you two.”

Next time I'll tell you.”

Okay, can't wait.”

So...I really need to go now. See you later?”

Sure. Have fun.”

Thanks. Bye!”, she said and walked away.

 

The next days I kept observing the composer while he was working. Once in a while, Junhyung and Yoseob would come to the studio. Junhyung was really awesome. He was so dedicated when it came to composing music. I would have asked him to give me advice but I was too shy because he had this chic image, or rather the 'I'm-a-bad-boy-don't-talk-to-me-image', and this kinda intimidated me. So whenever he came to the studio, I would only sit in the back and observe him.

One day Ha Ni visited us.

Junhyung Sunbae! Still working?”, she asked when he entered the room.

He smiled. “Yeah, I had some new ideas and wanted to try them out.”

If I'll ever debut, will you compose a song for me, too?”

Sure, why not? But I'm a really expensive composer.”

She pouted. “Aww, we've known each other for such a long time, can't you do it for free?”

Hm....okay, let's see how my mood will be on that day.”

Woah, you're so mean.”, she said and laughed.

Wow. I never saw him smile like that. Maybe this bad-boy-vibe he was giving off was just a way to fool strangers?

Thu Ha! Why are you sitting so far away?”, Ha Ni asked.

I...uh...I'm observing.”

Nonsense! Come here and 'observe'. You'll have a better look at everything.”

No, it's okay.”

Come on. Move your composer to us.”, she said and chuckled.

I sighed and stood up. Then I walked towards Ha Ni and Junhyung.

Junhyung Sunbae, Thu Ha really loves composing. Why don't you take her as your student? You're such a great composer.”

I blanched. Oh my gosh, can the Earth swallow me, please?

Thu Ha-ssi, hm? Why doesn't she ask me herself?”

I gulped. “Because...you're so intimidating.”

Oh my gosh, did I really say that? Facepalm.

Junhyung just stared at me. Then he burst out laughing. What the heck?

See? I told you that you look intimidating to those who doesn't know you.”, Ha Ni said and chuckled.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.”, I said quietly.

No offense taken. So you really want me as your teacher?”

Yes.”

Hmmm, sure, why not? I'll be at this studio whenever my schedule lets me. When are you here?”

Nearly every day.”

Great. Send me some of your files, I want to listen to them.”

Okay, will do! Thank you!”

No problem. I have to get back to work. You want to watch?”

Yes!”

Ha Ni gave me a thumbs up and I mouthed 'thank you' to her.

 

Whenever Junhyung had time, he taught me some basics and I also got to watched him compose songs. He often worked together with Yoseob, who was the guide voice for most of his songs.

One day Junhyung and Ha Ni invited me to Dinner with the BEAST boys and some staff members. Tomorrow the boys would have their comeback and today they wanted to celebrate 'being back' on the stage with a new Album after more than a year. We all gathered in a restaurant. I was really happy to see that Dongwoon took the chair next to me. And once again, I noticed that Ha Ni sat as far from Yoseob as possible.

During the whole time, Dongwoon smiled at me and we talked once in a while. When it was time to go home, the boys offered Ha Ni and me to take us home with their van. Initially I wanted to decline but walking on my own at night wasn't really appealing. So I took the seat at the window and once again, Dongwoon sat down next to me. During the drive, he suddenly leaned his head against my shoulder. I slowly turned my head to him and saw that his eyes were closed. Was he sleeping? I leaned back against the seat and made myself comfortable. Then I took deep breaths and tried to calm my heart which was beating like crazy. First we arrived at Ha Ni's dorm. She waved at us and then she stepped out of the van. Before she closed the door, she arched an eye brow at me. Then she turned around and hurried towards the dorm.

I knew exactly what she meant. She was once again warning me to stay away from Dongwoon. I sighed. Why couldn't she see how nice he was?

Several minutes later we arrived at my apartment. I gently nudged Dongwoon. He slowly rose his head from my shoulder and blinked confusedly at me.

I'm sorry, I have to go.”, I said.

He rubbed his eyes. “Ah, I am sorry. I didn't mean to bother you.”

No, it's okay.”

You know, if my schedule wouldn't be so full, I would've really liked to get to know you better.”

I blushed. “I....uh....yeah, sure...”

He smirked. “Goodnight.”

Goodnight.”

When I stood up, I noticed that all the other people on the van were already asleep. To be honest, I was really glad about this fact or else they would have listened to my conversation with Dongwoon. I gave Dongwoon another smile and then I stepped out of the van.

You know, if my schedule wouldn't be so full, I would've really liked to get to know you better.

Did that mean....that he was interested in me? Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! That could only be a dream. Yes, I was definitely just dreaming.