A Change of Mind.

As Time goes by, we will never stay the same.

 

The next morning, I woke up with an unbearable headache. I groaned and tried to move. Bad idea. My whole body ached. Ah, crap. Stupid cocktails.

I took a deep breath and tried to roll over. Pain shot through my body and then I came into contact with something warm. I also noticed that my hand was clutching something warm. What the heck?

Puzzled, I slowly opened my eyes and came face to face with a leg. No, it was rather a thigh. I frowned and glanced at my hand. Okay, why was a thigh next to head and why was I holding a hand? When my mind finally put all these things together, I yelped and sat up, scooting away from the thigh and the hand. Another bad idea. My head throbbed and my body ached even more. After taking deep breaths to ease the pain, I finally looked up. On the other side of my bed, sat a person, his back leaning against the headboard. Judging by his closed eyes and his regular breathing, it seems like he was asleep.

How did Dongwoon end up in my bed?

I crossed my arms and stretched out a leg to nudge his thigh.

Hey, wake up.”, I said.

He didn't stir.

I nudged him again. “Hey! Wake up now, idiot!”

Finally he opened his eyes. Confused, he looked around and when he saw me frowning at him, he smirked.

Good morning.”, he said.

Can the crap and tell me why you are sitting on my bed.”

You really cut right through the chase, huh?” When I didn't answer, he sighed. “You know, a 'thank you' would be nice.”

And why the heck should I thank you?”

You know, you could be lying in a stranger's bed now, considering the fact that you can't even remember what happened last night. And now I get a glare for saving you and carrying you to your apartment. That's not fair, you know.”

What the heck are you talking about?”

Okay, what do you remember from last night?”

I furrowed my brows. “I was dancing and then I drank a few cocktail.” I paused. “It's kinda blurry from here on.”

He snorted. “A few? That was definitely more than 'a few' cocktails, especially when you can't even remember being d by the filthy guy.”

d by a guy?” And then some pieces came back to me. “Oh my gosh, Minjae-ssi! We were dancing....and then...he suddenly started touching me...” I shivered. “I tried to get away from him...but he was so strong...he wouldn't let go...” Putting the pieces together, I looked up. “You saved me!”

Not bad, Miss Marple. When the bastard went away, I took you back to your apartment.” He considered. “And maybe you should call Ha Ni to let her know that you're okay or else she's going to neuter me.”

Okay, that explains why you are here. But how did you end up on my bed?”

He smirked. “'Well, after putting you into your bed, I wanted to leave but you suddenly grabbed my hand and didn't let go. So I had to sit here while you were clutching my hand.” He frowned. “My back hurts like crazy and my neck's kinda stiff, you know.”

Okay, I'm sorry for clutching your hand and thank you for saving me.”

Ah, those words are like a soothing balm to my aching soul.”

Stop talking nonsense.” Then something popped into my mind and I narrowed my eyes. “So, why did you even bother to save me and take me home? It's not like you care for me.”

He sighed. “Ah, here comes the complicated part.”

I arched an eye brow at him. “I'm all ears.”

You are mistaken, Thu Ha. I do care for you.”

No, you don't. I'm just a co-worker to you, you made that totally clear the last time we talked.”

He let out a frustrated sigh and ran a hand through his hair. “I wasn't thinking clearly, okay? I didn't mean it.”

That doesn't changed the fact that it hurt.”

Yeah, and I'm sorry that I was being a jerk. I would totally take it back if I could, Thu Ha.”

That's the problem. You just can't.”

I was trying to protect you.”

I arched an eye brow. “From what? From getting hurt? Then I'm sorry to disappoint you but you totally failed.”

Don't you understand it? No matter what, it just couldn't work.”

Stop talking in riddles and come to the point already.”

I have been lying to you, Thu Ha.”

Yeah, I've figured that out already. Which particular time are you talking about?”

He sighed. “Okay, I deserved that. I have been lying to you when you asked me what you are to me.”

Even though I was still mad at him, my heart skipped a beat.

I wasn't honest with you, Thu Ha. I thought that I was doing the right thing. I'm sorry if I hurt you.”

What are you talking about?”, I asked quietly.

You're not just a co-worker to me.” He ran a hand through his hair again. “I mean, I really wanted to avoid it but you went straight through the barricade and captured me. I kept telling me that it was wrong and that's why I kept my distance. But whenever I was with another woman, I only saw your face. Wherever I was, images of you kept following me.”

I took a deep breath. “Am I supposed to be flattered? Because I'm not. You literally shoved me away and went towards other women. Don't expect me to feel sorry that your guilt is haunting you.”

I wanted to do the right thing but I screwed it up. Again.”

And what would 'the right thing' be in this case?”

Thu Ha, no matter how I feel, my fear's still the same. My past is still haunting me and I don't want my problems to burden you. You deserve better. You deserve someone who isn't so screwed up like me.”

I let his words sink in. “We are all screwed in our own ways. That doesn't make you different.”

But I know what you want in a man and I can't give it to you. I told you that I'm not a good man and that you'll only get hurt.”

I scooted closer to him. “A wise friend once told me that I deserve to be happy again. And all the weeks int the forest were one of the happiest moments in my life. I was happy, do you understand?” I put a hand on his cheek. “And I remember that I told you that I would take the risk, no matter what.”

He put his hand over mine. “I can't be selfish, Thu Ha. You already dated an idol, so you know how it's like. When you add this to the screwed-up package, you'll only get pain.” He sighed. “I want to protect you from this.”

I'm not a damsel in distress who needs a knight to protect her. I can take care of myself.”

But I can't bear to see you in pain. When I lied to you and told you that you were nothing than a co-worker to me...you don't know how much the hurt look in your eyes destroyed me.”

Then do the right thing to keep the hurt look from my eyes.”

And what would 'the right thing' be in this case?”, he asked quietly, repeating my earlier words.

In this case....to stop blabbering and to kiss me.”, I said and pulled him down, so that I ended up lying on the bed with him hovering over me. I sealed our lips together, my tongue caressing him gently. Then he broke the kiss to plant soft kisses on my neck. Missing the feeling of his lips on mine, I grabbed his neck and pulled him up to capture his lips. I could feel his smile on my lips before the kiss grew more passionate. I parted my lips to take in the warmth of his mouth, our tongues exploring each other. My mind stopped thinking and I felt a familiar warmth spreading through my body.

When we broke apart again to breath, I whispered. “I love you.”

He froze and stared at me. So many emotions flickered through his eyes but then he bit his lip and turned away. My heart convulsed but I gently laid a hand on his cheek and turned him back to me. Before he could say something, I put a finger on his lips.

Shush, it's okay. I know how you feel and I can wait. I'll repeat it as often as possible until you'll be able to say it to me.”

He closed his eyes and took deep breaths. I looked at him and caressed his cheek.

Thank you.”, he whispered.

Then he kissed me again and at that moment, nothing else mattered to me, except the feeling of his soft lips on mine. For a moment, I forgot about our problems and indulged in his scent, his touch and his taste.

Only time would heal the wound in his heart and I would do anything to help him. I would mend his heart with my love and one day, his love would mend mine. Because Love is not just about being happy. It's also about trust and patience. Happiness and Pain, they walk together, hand in hand. Only you can decide which will outweigh the other one. Because, in the end, we're the one making the decisions to influence the outcome.

And right this moment, he was mine and nothing else mattered.