Ha Ni's Surprise.

As Time goes by, we will never stay the same.

 

One week later I got a call from Ha Ni.

Thu Ha, you have to come to the Cube Office today!”

And why do I have to come to the Cube Office today...?”

It's a surprise. Just make sure to be here at 11am. See you later!”, she said and hung up.

I didn't really like surprises but I had to admit that I was curious. That was why I went to the Cube Office at 11am. When I texted Ha Ni that I was standing in front of the building, she came rushing out.

So....what's going on here?”, I asked suspiciously.

Just wait and you'll see.”, she said and grabbed my hand. Then she pulled me into the building. We went upstairs and passed several rooms. I could hear music coming out of some of these rooms. Seems like those were practice rooms. Suddenly Ha Ni stopped abruptly and I nearly collided with her. When I wanted to ask her what was going on, I noticed the expression on her face. The smile on her face was replaced with a shocked expression. I followed her gaze. She was looking at a guy who was coming out of one of these practice rooms. He had brown hair, which was covered by a cap, and he was dressed in loose pants and a loose shirt. When he noticed us, he froze for a moment. Then he quickly gathered himself and started walking past us. He didn't even glance at Ha Ni and when he saw me, he gave me a polite nod. Then he was gone. I noticed that Ha Ni was squeezing my hand even harder than before. I slowly turned back and looked at her. The expression on her face has changed. Now her face showed a mixture of disappointment and hurt.

You okay?”, I asked quietly.

Ha Ni flinched, as if she just realized that I was standing next to her. She quickly stop squeezing my hand and smiled.

Sure. Why wouldn't I be okay?”

Yeah, that was what I wanted to know, too. Even if Ha Ni acted as if nothing has happened, I could clearly see that the smile didn't reach her eyes.

Who the heck was that guy? And what happened between these two to create such a tension when they were in the same room?

I really wanted to know but I could also see that Ha Ni definitely didn't want to talk about it.

Before I could say anything, more people came out of the room. One of them, a tall guy with dark brown hair, approached us.

Hey Ha Ni, skipping practice again?”, he asked and smiled.

The tension left her body and she relaxed. “I'm a very diligent Trainee. No skipping classes, okay?”

Sure, if you say so.”, he said and chuckled. “Having Lunch Break now?”

Yeah.”

Wanna have lunch with us?”

She tensed again but her voice didn't give anything away. “Hmm, very tempting. But unfortunately, I've got something to do.”

When Doojoon arched an eye brow at her, she pointed at me. Now that the attention was shifted to me, I felt really uncomfortable. I gave him a shy smile and got a dazzling smile from him.

Ah, where are my manners! I'm so sorry, let me introduce myself. My name is Yoon Doojoon, I'm Ha Ni's awesome Sunbae. Nice to meet you.”

Ha Ni snorted and I chuckled. “I'm Thu Ha and nice to meet you, too.”

So...what are you two up to?”, he asked curiously.

Ha Ni grinned. “It's a secret.”

Ah, you're no fun.”, he said and pouted.

Sorry, Sunbae. Maybe another time.”

He sighed. “Well, then. See you later, Ha Ni. Goodbye, Thu Ha-ssi.”, he said and went away.

After Doojoon left, more guys came out and greeted Ha Ni. They were all really handsome but one of them caught my attention. He was very tall and kinda looked like a foreigner. I couldn't stop staring at him.

Suddenly Ha Ni nudged me. “Hey, stop drooling.”

Startled, I looked away from him and frowned at Ha Ni. “I'm not drooling.”

Don't deny it. I just caught you staring at our handsome Son Nam Shin.” She turned serious. “But hey, I have to warn you. Don't fall under his spell, it won't be healthy for you.”

I gave her a puzzled look. “Huh? What do you mean?”

She smiled. “Nothing. Just promise me to be careful, okay?”

Before I could answer, she pulled me towards another door. Then she gently knocked on the door and entered the room, pulling me with her. We were in a small room which looked like some kind of studio. She let go of my hand and walked towards a guy sitting in front of a laptop.

Oppa! Long time no see!”, she said.

The guy turned around and smiled at her. “Ha Ni! What A pleasure! What brought you to me?”

I want to introduce someone to you.” She pushed me forward. “This is Thu Ha.”

Ah, so this is our little composer talent.”

I gave him a puzzled look. Ha Ni must have noticed it because she said: “I sent Oppa your music files.”

You did WHAT?”

He laughed. “No need to be scared. You're really talented.”

Wait...I am?”

Oh yes. I would like to make you an offer: I really would like you to work for us, on probation of course, and according to your final result after these weeks, we would like to offer you a job as a composer assistant at Cube.

I was still too shocked to answer. When Ha Ni nudged me, I said: “Yes! I would really like to accept your offer!”

Good, you can settle the paperwork with the staff manager and then you can start working next week.”

Thank you!”

You're welcome. So, I have to excuse myself now, work's waiting for me.”

Of course. Goodbye.”

Goodbye.”

Goodbye, Oppa!”, Ha Ni said.

Goodbye, Ha Ni.”, he said and returned to his laptop.

We left the room and closed the door. Then I quickly hugged Ha Ni.

Thank you, thank you. Thank you!”

Ha Ni laughed. “Yeah, okay, calm down. I know that I'm the best.”

I let go of her. “You know, I should punch you for sending my files to a stranger without my permission but...I'm just too happy to care right now. I owe you, thank you.”

Just invite me to lunch tomorrow and the debt is settled.”

I smiled. “Okay, will do.”

Ha Ni looked at her watch. “Uh oh, I only have 20 minutes left to grab something for lunch. Let's meet another day, okay?”

Sure, just go eat. I have to get back to work anyway.”

See you later, Thu Ha!”, she said and rushed off.

 

Days passed and I was working on some files to send them to the composer. Composing music in my free time is a whole different story than composing music under pressure. I really didn't want to disappoint the composer and blow off the chance to work for Cube.

One week later, I went to the Cube Office and presented my files to the composer. When he listened to it, his face gave nothing away. That made me even more nervous. When he finally stopped listening, he turned to me. I held my breath.

Hmm. It's not bad.”, he said.

I smiled.

But...I'm not satisfied with some certain parts.”, he continued.

My smile slipped away.

I've read your lyrics while listening to the music....so, this song is about a man being love with a woman?”

Yes.”, I said quietly.

You know, I just don't feel it when listening to your music. A song should touch the listener's heart...your music and lyrics are kinda missing this feeling. It would be better to write about something you've already experienced.”

I frowned. “I know what it means to be in love.”

I didn't mean to offend you. I'm just trying to help.” He sighed. “Listen, you may have experienced love so far but I don't get this feeling when I was listening to your music. Try to put your heart into this. Don't write about something you think other people would want to listen to. YOU are the composer, so create your very own masterpiece.”

I let his words sink in. “Thank you for the advice. I'll work harder from now on.”

Good. Let's talk about your work next week. The rest of this week we'll go through the basics to sharpen your skills.”

 

I stayed till evening to observe the composer during his work. It was very fascinating. One day, I really want to be as good as him.

When I left the studio, I was too lost in thoughts that I didn't notice the obstacle in front of me. I collided with it and and fell down. my aching , I let out a string of cusses.

Someone chuckled. “A lady shouldn't take such words into .”

Startled, I looked up. Right in front of me was the handsome guy from earlier. How did Ha Ni call him? Something with 'Nam Shin'?

Mr. Handsome offered me his hand. I was puzzled for a moment but then I pulled myself together and grabbed it. He pulled me up and gave me a dazzling smile.

Are you hurt?”

Just my pride but I'll survive it.”, I said and smiled.

To be honest, my was still complaining but I kinda didn't want to let him know.

He chuckled. “I'm really sorry. I just can't take it when a pretty woman is hurt because of me.”

Okay....he was definitely a sweet-talker. Knowing this still didn't stop the blush on my cheeks.

I can assure you, I'm not hurt.”, I said.

Then I'm at ease.”, he said and shot me another dazzling smile.

Oh my gosh, his smiles were starting to make me feel uncomfortable. Whenever he smiled, his whole face lit up and this made him even more handsome. And I didn't like to feel this way towards him.

I...uh...gotta go.”, I stuttered.

Okay, may I you to the door?”

Ugh, stop it.

Not necessary, I know the way. But thanks.”, I said and gave him a shy smile.

Then I quickly rushed away before he could see the blush. I really needed to control myself better from now on or working with him under the same company for a while was going to be totally awkward.