Chapter 8

Someday

The day of the school festival came up fast. Too fast, YunHui thought.

Although she had been practicing everyday, she didn’t feel that much more confident. Once JiYong even had suggested to put up some cardboards with people on them but just the thought of it had made her feel awkward.

You’ll be the last one.”, JiYong had told her the day before. The stage in the auditorium was used as kind of a talentshow. Only that it wasn’t a contest with winners and so on.

Students got their chance to show what they have and it was a big event every year. And this year she’d also be part of that event...

“Are you thinking about your performance again?”, a familiar voice suddenly asked, starteling her.

JiYong was standing in front of her with his usual grin on his lips.

“How did you know?” “Well, everytime you think about it you’ll get silent and your expression gets worried.” He shrugged and pointed at the sign in her hands. “Someone who’s task it is to promote the classes ‘shop’ shouldn’t look so worried.”

YunHui put on a weak smile. “Better?” “Acceptable.” The grin on his face got wider and he ruffled her hair a little. “Don’t worry, YunHui-yah. Have you already forgotten what I’d told you? ‘Don’t think to much’.”

YunHui only nodded and watched her teacher walking down the hallway, greeting his students and occasionally stopping to talk to them. He really was popular.

 


 

“Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to the annual talentshow of our school!”, the studtent, who took care of the moderation, said.

Meanwhile YunHui was sitting backstage, with her guitar placed beside her and a bottle of tea in her hands.

The other students who would performe, were excited and practiced for themselves a little.

Seeing them made her feel insecure again. Should she really do this? Was she even good enough? Maybe they’d laugh at her... and her parents! Would they be dissapointed?

“I didn’t give you the tea to only stare at it.”, JiYong told her as he sat down beside her.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t think that I’m able to drink something now.” “A good thing, that I didn’t buy you something to eat.” He grinned but her worried face let it dissapear. “YunHui-yah... you can do it, trust me.”

She wanted to trust him. She really wanted to, but how could she trust him when she couldn’t even trust herself?

A sigh escaped her lips. In her entire life she had probably hadn’t sighed as much as at this day.

“There still is some time until your performance. Just play a bit for yourself outside. I’ll call you later, okay?” “Okay...” Still a bit uncomfortable, she got up from her seat and followed her teacher outside.

The fresh air really was a blessing. While sitting inside she hadn’t noticed how much she had needed some fresh air.

“Alright, I’ll call you when it’s your turn.”, JiYong told her again with a smile before going back inside again.

YunHui watched him dissapearing behind the door, before turning her eyes to her guitar. Gently she over the strings. Even though it was only a short and silent sound, she could hear it loud and clear. It was so beautiful... the sound of the guitar, the feeling of singing what was on her mind... music... how could she be afraid of sharing these great feelings with other people?

Maybe it was because, they were her feelings. Would she be able to let a crowd of people easily look into her heart?

Many thoughts crossed her mind. Doubts but also encouragement. She thought of JiYong, her goal and her wish. It was the right time to tell the world what she wanted.

The next moment the door was opened again and JiYong waved her to come back inside. With new courage she stepped inside the building. She could hear the audience applauding for the other group and then the announcement of the moderator: “That was CN BLUE! Wow, what a great performance!” The applause slowly faded and silence came over the crowd again. “And now I’ll present you our last performer. She is a student of the class 3-2! Please welcome, Jung YunHui!”

“It’s your turn now!”, JiYong told her and quickly led her to the stage.

Grabbing her guitar tightly, YunHui was about to step out on the stage, as she saw the huge crowd. She lost her newly earned courage again. “No, I can’t...”, she mumbled and took a step back. JiYong who stood behind her, grabbed her arms. “You can, YunHui-yah! Believe in yourself, Jung YunHui!” “No...no...no!” The girl began to shiver and tears started to built up.

A murmur went through the room and the moderator looked at them with a questioning and worried look.

“YunHui-yah... YunHui-yah... Jung YunHui!”, JiYong talked to her while shaking her lightly. When he finally got hold of her attention, he looked emphaticly at her eyes. “Listen to me, okay? What did I tell you?” “Don’t think...”, she mumbled. “That’s right. Don’t think... or you’ll loose the feeling.” He then gently put his hand on her cheek and gave her a light kiss on the forehead. A soft smile was on JiYong’s lips. “Don’t be afraid. Just close your eyes and think of me.” Before she could say another word, he gave her a slight push towards the stage.

As she finally entered the stage, the moderator repeated his announcement and the audience applauded.

YunHui glance over to JiYong another time who nodded at her with a smile. She then looked down at her guitar. It is time...

Just close your eyes and think of me...

The moment she closed her eyes, she was feeling like she was sitting in that abandoned classroom again. Only her, the music and JiYong.

She got calm again and finally began her song. Every little feeling, every memory and every moment she had spent with him... she expressed it all through her singing.

All the things I had in my hands, there was nothing special about it

Nothing but one thing...

Don’t be afraid.. don’t be afraid...!, she told herself and finally opened her eyes.

But I won’t let go of these things, no matter what kind of tragedy afflicts us all. 

Love, dreams, ideals, hopes…please remember how beautiful those things are. 

Even if the time we have left, the talent and our destinies set limits upon us.

We won’t abide by them, we don’t need understanding or reason. 

We’ll just live on with these feelings, shaking our souls...

As she finished the song, there was a short silence which was then filled by applause. She spotted her parents in the audience, her father with a proud smile. But the only one who mattered to her now was he.

She turned around to look at him. The usual grin on his face, he stood there with spreaded arms.

Tears began to fill her eyes again... and then she ran towards him, right into the arms of her love.


[lyrics by UVERworld - THE SONG]