Chapter 6

Someday

Nervously YunHui was sitting in the living room. Every moment JiYong would appear to talk to her parents. Of course had told her parents before hand, but because she hadn’t told them why he wanted to talk to them, they thought she had any problems in school.

As the bell rang, she jumped up but her father mentioned her to sit down again with a sharp glance.

After a few moments JiYong came inside the room. YunHui almost didn’t recognize him.

Unlike in school, he was wearing a proper shirt and even his hair was , well, teacher-like!

YunHui’s mother went into the kitchen to get tea after he had introduced himself.

With every minute that passed, YunHui got more nervous. As their glances briefly met, she could see the allusion of a smile and she calmed down a bit.

JiYong waited for YunHui’s mother to come back and sit down beside her husband again, before he began. “I’m sorry to take your time, Jung-shi, but it was important for me to talk to you in person.”

YunHui noticed her father straightening himself and clearing his throat. “Well, I guess it’s necessary. Is there anything wrong with our YunHui in school? Have her grades gotten worse? Or doesn’t she behave properly?”

Her teacher slowly shook his head. “YunHui is as good in school as before and shows good manners. The reason I’m here today is a personal reason.”

The shocked and reproachful glance her mother then shot at YunHui then was more than clear to read. YunHui immediately shook her head. It seemed like her mother had misunderstood his statement. But why did he have to phrase it so ambiguous?

“It’s about YunHui’s talent.”, he then continued, making her mother sighing in relief. But she immediately caught herself again.

“Her talent?”, her father asked, his eyebrow raised.

“Yes, your daughter has a great musical talent and I think it should be boosted.”

“Our YunHui? A musical talent? I’m sorry but you must have mistaken her for somebody else.” An amused expression could be seen on her father’s face. Of course he thought this was only a joke. YunHui lowered her glance.

JiYong shook his head. “It’s true. Your daughter has a great voice and therefore I’d like to suggest ... to let her go to an audition.”

Now the amusement was gone and replaced by anger. “Please don’t make fun of us. My daughter will take over our restaurant when she finishes school and won’t jump around on some kind of stage.”

“But, Jung-shi, with due respect: don’t you think that it’s more important to support your child in it’s decisions?”

Her father’s pride was clearly hurt by this question. He then turned to her. “So you want to become a singer?”

YunHui had difficulties to swallow and was unusually dry. But somehow she managed to let out a small “Yes...”

There was a short silence before her father let out a silent hum and faced JiYong again.

“Well, I just want the best for my child. And the best for my child is a safe future which she’ll definitly have by taking over my restaurant. That’s why... I won’t allow it. Thank you for your visit, but ask you to go now. I have to get back to work.”

JiYong and YunHui were both dissapointed but the man was much better in hiding it.

They got up from their seats and when YunHui’s father was about to leave the room, JiYong said. “Even though you’re thinking like this now... I’ll show you that YunHui’s talent is worth to be boosted.”

Her father stopped and turned around again. “Good luck with that, Kwon-seonsaengnim.”

YunHui then accompanied her teacher to the door. “Thank you, Seonsaengnim and... I’m sorry for my stubborn father.”

“Don’t worry about it. He just wants the best for you. It’s only that he doesn’t know yet, what the best for you is. And I’ll show him.”, he told her with a grin and patted her head.

“But how?”

He only answered with a wink.