Chapter 5

Someday

“Audition?!”, she excalimed totally taken by surprise.

“Yeah, why not?” With an innocent face JiYong handed her the documents.

Taking the papers she skimmed over them with big eyes before looking at him again. “Why not? Isn’t that obvious? I’m not good enough of course!”

JiYong tilted his head and smiled awry. “You’re kidding me, right?”

Nimble-footed he climbed up onto the stage. “Why else would you practice here if you won’t go to an audition?”

“Well, actually I didn’t want to but you-“ “Don’t you think you’re efforts should be rewarded?”

He laid an arm around her shoulders and pointed out to the imaginary audience. “Don’t you think that the world should know about your talent?”

But still, YunHui wasn’t sure about all this. She had been playing for herself for a long time now. Music... she made music for herself, not for somebody else. Secretly she glanced at JiYong. Until now.

With a sigh she sat down on the stage and let her legs dangle down the edge. “Even if I wanted to my parents wouldn’t allow.”

Kind of satisfied with himself that he had at least made her think about it, he sat down beside her. “Why? I’m sure you’re parents must be proud of you and your talent.”

She smiled weakly. “Actually they don’t know about it.” “Oh...”

Slowly she turned her head towards the empty hall again. “My father owns a little restaurant. Since I was little I had to help him there and he has already decided that I’ll take it over one day. I don’t think that he’d accept it if I told him...”

They both remained silent. After a fews moments YunHui glanced up to JiYong. His expression was serious. She had rarely seen him like this and she somehow was touched by how much he cared about her. A few weeks ago she had been sitting alone in the room, playing and singing for herself. She had been satisfied with just making music for herself but now she had discovered how it felt to share this feeling.

“I’ll talk to them.”, he suddenly said and YunHui looked up in surprise. “Huh?”

JiYong favoured her with a smile. “I’ll talk to your parents and convince them.”

“Really? You’d do that?” Her heart began to beat faster. “Do you think you can convince them?”

“I don’t know but... I hope I can.”

YunHui nodded. She hoped so, too.