Chapter 7

Someday

As YunHui skimmed over the paper, her eyes got bigger and bigger. Reaching the end, she paused for a second before reading it again.

JiYong couldn’t help himself but looking at her in amusement. She had told him that the day he had came to talk to her parents, later she had tried to talk to her father but he had stuck to his oppinion stubbornly.  It was good to see her finally fighting for something she wanted.

“This is your plan?”, she in the end asked and held up the sheet of paper, “The school festival?”

“That’s right. I guess your parents would’ve come anyways?” She only nodded. Her parents always closed the restaurant if there was a school event, so they could be there. But now... YunHui gulped. Of course it was a good idea. To be exact it was a great idea, but...

Noticing the sceptical and worried look of his student, JiYong asked. “You don’t seem really thrilled by this, do you?”

“No, no, I think it’s a good idea, it’s only that...”, she looked up at him, “I still can’t play in front of people.”

In response her teacher then only blinked at her, giving her a surprised expression. “Oh, really?”, he asked as if YunHui had said something completely absurd.

“Of course! I havn’t played in front of anyone but you!”, she told him.

“I think you’ll be alright.”, he said and made a dismissive hand gesture before standing up to get the guitar for her.

Unlike him, YunHui wasn’t confident in herself at all. It was true that she wasn’t that scared anymore but if she’d actually have to play in front of many people, she was sure to get more than nervous again.

“Just don’t think, when you’re standing here.” JiYong handed her the instrument. “The more you think, the more feeling you’ll lose.”

She raised an eyebrow. “What does that mean?”

“You’ll find out soon.”, he told her with a wink and mentioned her to play. Still confused she did like told and played a few chords.

Playing without thinking... was that even possible? Thinking about that, another question came to her mind. One she had been speculating a lot lately.

“Seonsaengnim?” “Hm?” “Why are you supporting me so much? I mean, I’m grateful for it but... it’s not like you had to talk to my parents... it’s just... does a teacher have to do so much for his student?”

On one hand she was curious but on the other hand she was a bit scared of his answer. She couldn’t deny that she wished he didn’t only help her because she was his student but because, well, because of more ...

“You remember, what I told you the second time we met in the classroom?”, he turned to face her and smiled weakly. It was just the same sad smile he had shown that day.

I think it’s not right, to forbid someone to live his passion... Do you know why I told you this?” She knew that it was a rethorical question but she still shook her head slightly.

JiYong looked at his hands shortly before raising his glance. “I don’t want that others have to experience the same like me.”

“You mean...” He chuckled a bit as he nodded. “Yeah, I had dreamt of becoming a singer. Just like you.”

Although YunHui had always been thinking that JiYong wasn’t like a typical teacher, she hadn’t thought that he had actually wanted to become something other than a teacher.

“But just like in your case, my father was against it. He wanted me to become a doctor like him. At first I had tried to convince him but in the end I had to give up. To become a teacher was my last rebellion against him, I guess.”, he chuckled again, “Well, it was the lowermost limit he accepted.”

Their glances met again. “That’s why I’m supporting you. Because I would’ve been happy if there would’ve been someone to support me.”

YunHui nodded which made him smile.

“Alright, the let’s practice. We don’t have much time!” JiYong got up from his seat and was as cheerful as always again.

She also got up and took the guitar. Looking at her teacher made her happy and she felt grateful towards him. Now that she knew about his past, she felt even more connected to him.

She would show them. Show her parents and the other people what she’s got.

But above all she wanted to show JiYong that his efforts weren’t for nothing.