The Past

Blood Is Thicker Than Water [3 Year Hiatus]

Yellow is Malay. Blue is English. Purple is Korean. Red is Chinese. Green is Japanese. Turquoise is French.

 

U-Kiss - Someday

 


You were still young back then. You were in second grade while your brother was in sixth grade. Your parents were strict while joyful at the same time. They spend a lot of time for you and your brother. You played together as a happy family.

But your parents were very picky when it came to your future living. They wanted you and your brother to become doctors, lawyers or better yet, take over the family company. You were okay with taking over the family company but your brother had bigger ideas. He wanted to explore the world. See and learn new things. He dreamed of becoming an international superstar and travel all around the world.

When your parents found out that he was skipping classes to take singing and dancing lessons, they confiscated his beloved guitar and everything else that he used to practice with. They locked him up in his room and made him home-school. They didn't want their son to get caught up with something so useless as singing.

 

2004 - 8 Years Old

It was a few days before the accident happened. Your brother was fed-up with being locked up so he decided to make a run for it and never come back. 

He secretly packed all his clothes and other stuff that your parents confiscated and placed them next to his room door. He decided to have a last look at his baby sister before running away.

He tip-toed towards your room, which was just next door to his room. He slowly and carefully turned the knob and pushed the door open so that it wouldn't make any noise and you wouldn't wake up. He tip-toed towards your bed and saw you sleeping soundly with the stuffed bear he gave you for you birthday. He smiled at those memories of you with him and without him noticing, a tear fell down his right cheek. He quickly wiped it and bend down to take a closer look at you. He kissed your forehead and whispered in your right ear.

"Even though I won't be there for you anymore, doesn't mean that I don't care about you. I'll always love you and pray for your happiness"

He started to cry again and quickly lifted his head so his tears wouldn't fall on you. You started shifting in your sleep which made him froze in his place. To his relieve, you stopped and just mumbled something in your sleep. You hugged the stuffed bear even tighter which made your brother smile even wider than before.

He remembered that you always wanted his ring that he always wore so he lifted his left hand and pulled the ring out with his right hand. He placed it on your bedside table and took a last glance at you. He smiled a little while tears were falling down his cheeks.

He slowly closed the door and went back to his room. He took his stuff and headed downstairs without making any noise. He went to the door and stepped outside. He took a few steps outside the gate and suddenly stopped. He took a last glance at the house and sighed. He ran as hard as he could to the bus stop and headed to the airport.

 

***

 

After your brother ran away, your parents grew worried.

Where could he have gone?

Why did he ran away without saying anything?

How could he live by himself?

He couldn't have gone far, right?

Those were the questions that your parents kept repeating to themselves because they felt it was their fault that made your brother run away. They regretted for keeping him locked up all those years. They were just worried his future would be a mess if they didn't stop him from achieving his dream.

On the other hand, the morning after your brother ran away, you woke up from a terrible nightmare.

 

You were walking with your brother, hand-in-hand, in the shopping mall. You both got separated from your parents because there was a huge sale in the store and you both ended up being separated. You both were looking for your parents in the store and yelling "mom" and "dad". When suddenly, a huge walking crowd came and made you and your brother release hands. When the crowd was gone, your brother was nowhere in sight. You yelled,

"Oppa? Oppa! Where are you?! Don't leave me! Don't leave me!!!"

Everything around you turned dark and eventually, the whole room was black except for you.

 

You immediately woke up and felt hot tears rolling down your cheeks. You ignored it and immediately wanted to check what time it was. Your head moved towards the direction of the clock on your bedside table but your saw something else with the corner of your eyes. A blur object that shone because of the sunlight. Your hand reached out to grab it while your eye sight started to adjust itself to the surrounding. The shiny blur object suddenly started to make shape. You saw a familiar ring which took place of the blur object. Your eyes started to burst out even more tears when you realized what it was. The ring that was in your hands was your brother's favorite and precious ring. The ring that he never took off and always cherished. The ring that meant the world to him. You realized that your dream was telling you something.

You got out of bed and ran to your brother's room. When you opened the door, your whole body felt like it didn't have any energy left. You ended up falling to the floor with a loud thud. Your eyes burst out every drop of water it had. It turned out that every piece of your brother's clothing, precious instruments and other stuff were all gone.

Your parents heard your cry from all the way to their bedroom. They saw you crying on the ground in front of your brother's room so that must have meant that something was going on. They came running to you and saw what you just saw. They started panicking and immediately started a search party.

 

***

 

For the few days after your brother's disappearance, your parents kept driving back and forth from the house to the police station to get better information of where your brother might have gone while you just stayed at your friend's house. When they finally got some clear information, they were traumatized. The information they got said that your brother had booked a flight ticket to the US. Your parents were ready to go back home, pack their bags and head to the US to get him back.

But on their way home, your mother kept on crying on how it was her fault and your father had no choice but to calm her down while driving. For a slight second, your father didn't kept his eyes on the road so he was shocked to suddenly hear a loud honking sound. When he quickly turned his eyes back to the road, he was even more frightened to see a huge lorry driving in front of him. He tried to turn the other way around but ended up failing. The lorry driver tried to push the breaks but the lorry was just to fast to stop. They both ended up in an accident. The lorry driver survived but sadly,

Your parents didn't.

 

***

 

All your relatives came and wished their goodbyes to your parents. Since you were still young, you cried the hardest because you had no one left in your life. Your other relatives felt sorry for you but they didn't know what to do. They were scared if they brought you to their country, you wouldn't blend in. Your cousins were the ones that pleaded their parents to bring you back to Korea with them. So they did. You and Chanyeol stayed with Dara's and Thunder's parents since Chanyeol's parents had to stay in Malaysia and take over your parents' company until you reach your age to take over. While growing up, you learned a lot from them.