Chapter Six

Business Deal

 

 

Kim looked over the crowd and wished she were back at BookWorm, holding her Friday night poetry reading. The business dinner tonight was the turning point in Gerald’s career. She knew heavy hitters swarmed the halls for the chance at glory, and Gerald needed to dazzle the crowd in order to get a hearing.

She handed the hostess her coat and let Gerald lead her into the packed ballroom. “I’m assuming you have a general plan of attack?” she asked. “Who are the two players you need to concentrate on?”

He motioned toward a thick cloud of cigar smoke. A tight circle of conservative businessmen surrounded a man impeccably dressed in a gray suit and silk tie. “Enchong Dee is building the Japanese restaurant. His vote is the key to gain the third partner in the waterfront deal.”

“So why don’t you go over there and give your pitch?” She plucked a salmon tart from the tray of the tuxedo-clad waiter and grabbed a glass of champagne from another.

“Because I don’t want to be one of the crowd. I have a different plan in mind.” She sipped the bubbly and signed with pleasure. “Don’t get drunk.” Gerald said.

She huffed out a breath. “I never knew husbands were so controlling. Okay, who’s the final guy you need to impress?”

A flash of calculation crossed his face. “Count Matteo Guidicelli. He owns a successful pastry business in Italy and decided to try his luck in the States. He’s focused on the first bakery opening at the waterfront.”

She listed after the tray of crab cakes on her left and tried to pay attention.  Gerald let out a huff, grabbed two from the waiter, and slid them on the plate. “Eat.”

“Right.” For once, she agreed with his order. She popped the cake into and groaned with delight. His brows snapped together and she realized she’d made him cranky. Again.

He stared at as if he wanted the crab cake for himself. “Kim, are you listening?”

“Yes. Conte. Bakery. I guess you expect me to mingle while you do your business?”

He gave a tight smile. “I’ll work on Enchong for now. Why don’t you keep your eyes open for the count? He’s medium size, Italian accent, dark curly hair and dark eyes. Engage him in some conversation – it will keep you occupied.”

A small nibble of warming teased the edges of her consciousness, but she was still focused on the array of delicious appetizers. “You want me to talk to him?”

He shrugged in controlled carelessness. “Sure. Be nice. If you find out anything interesting let me know.”

A chill skated down her spine and suddenly the scene crystallized. “You want me to spy for you?’

Impatience flicked in his voice. “You’re being ridiculous. Just relax and enjoy the party.”

“Easy for you to say. Your s aren’t hanging out of your dress.’

Gerald cleared his throat and shifted. “If you weren’t comfortable, you shouldn’t have worn the dress.”

She stiffened. “I borrowed it from Maja. I didn’t have an expensive dress.”

“I would have given you the money.”

“I don’t need your money.”

“Somehow, I doubt that. You didn’t sign the contract for any lofty reasons. Might as well take as much as you can get.”

A short silence settled between them. Coldness seeped through her. “You’re right. I was an idiot. Next time I’ll buy out Macy’s and send you the bill.” She her heel and tossed her head. “After all, the only benefit to this marriage is your money.”

She walked away and left him staring at her back.

Jerk!

Kim sipped a second glass of champagne and settles herself by the picture window overlooking the balcony. Gerald Anderson belonged in this world – one of money and supermodels and refined dialogue. Clouds of Shalimar and Obsession blended with the heavy scent of cigar smoke, Her sight was blinded by an array of silks and satins, mostly in black or neutral – non-showy colors to set off the diamonds and pearls and sapphires she knew were all real. Everyone had sun-kissed skin, and she bet there wasn’t a tan line in the lot.

Kim heaved a deep sigh. She’d dressed with care for the party and held her breath as she walked down the stairs to await Gerald’s opinion. Even she knew she looked damn good in Maja’s dress. The thought that she actually wanted to please him pissed her off.

He’d given her a thorough once over. Instead of a compliment, he’d mumbled about her choice of wardrobe and walked away. Didn’t even help her with her coat or spare her a second glance until they got to the party. Hurt sliced deep but she punished herself for the emotion. She retained a polite aura and pretended she dressed like this every Saturday night.

Yet, as soon as he spoke about his plan for the waterfront, his face shimmered with such raw emotion, her body clenched in response.

Passion. Fierce need burned in his golden brown eyes. She fantasized about being the woman who incited such wanting. Once again, she was reminded Gerald only experienced strong emotions for his buildings. Never to women.

And never for her.

She took a deep breath and finished her drink. Then launched herself through the double doors of the balcony and approached a group of women who seemed to be commenting on the sculpture. Within moments, she neatly entwined her way into the discussion, secured introductions, and delved into the world of social chatter.

                                                            ………..................................

Gerald watched her stalk across the room and cursed under his breath. Hell, he’d done it again. He should’ve complimented her on the damn dress. But nothing had prepared him for her entrance as she walked down the stairs, ready for the party.

The electric blue dress dipped low in the front, clung to the edge of her shoulders, and fell down to the floor in magnificent, flowing folds of shimmering material shot with silver thread. Strappy silver sandals encased her feet, her hot pink toenails peeking out and playing hide-and-seek as she walked. Her hair was pinned high on her head, with corkscrew curls tumbling around her ears and caressing the back of her neck. Her lips were painted red. When she blinked, her silver shadow threw sparkles over her lashes and caught the light. He bet she’d also catch the attention of every man in the place.

He’d almost order her to change. This was no cool sophisticate he could control. This was a full-blown Eve, who dared a man to Hell and made a poison apple seem as sweet as candy. Instead, he’d mutered some remark under his breath and let the subject matter drop. He wondered if that was a flash of hurt in her eyes, but when he looked again, she was the same troublesome, sarcastic woman he’d married.

Anger cut through him at her constant ability to make him feel like . He hadn’t said anything wrong. She’d married for money and freely admitted it. Why did she have to pretend to play the innocent victim in this whole mess?

He forced thoughts of his wife out of his mind and concentrated on the group of business circling Enchong Dee. Gerald sensed one important factor to secure the Japanese man’s vote.

Excitement.

Get Enchong Dee excited, and Gerald had the job.

The last and final piece in the puzzle was Matteo Guidicelli. The famous count was well known in the business world for his charm, money, and sharp intelligence. He believed in passion, not preciseness, and behaved completely differently from his other two partners. Gerald hope a lively conversation with his wife might help him gain a bit of an edge, especially since gossip pegged Guidicelli as a womanizer. He stifled the quick flare of guilt and stepped into the group of men to speak.

……….........................................

 

Kim decided it was time to find her husband.

Beside the brief time seated beside him at dinner, they’d been out of each other’s company the whole night. Humming under her breatrg to the strains of “I Get a Kick out of you.” She decided to make her way down the elaborate hallway. Maybe he’d gone to the bathroom.

Her heels clicked against polished marble. The sounds of the music faded, and she studied the paintings on the wall with pleasure, murmuring to herself when she found one she recognized. Her steps carried her around the next corner into a room that looked more like a gallery, filled with shelves of old bound books carefully displayed. She held her breath as her fingers itched to caress the binding of old leather and relish the sound of crackling as she turned the pages steeped in history.

“Ah, so to get you to notice me tonight, I should turn into a book, no?”

She spun around. A man stood in the doorway, his eyes filled with a mischievous humor she knew to be a part of his core. His hair was long and caught back in a low ponytail, giving him the look of a pirate who had charmed women for centuries. His lips were full and his nose dominated his strong features in typical Italian styles. Dressed in black pants, a black silk shirt, and expensive leather shoes, he exhibited a graceful, seductive air just by standing. Kim knew immediately the man was charming, warm-hearted, and deadly to women. The thought made a smile curve her lips. She had a soft spot for womanizing Italian men. They reminded her of puffed-up peacocks who inwardly wished to be kept in line by the right woman.

“Oh, I noticed you.” She turned her back and resumed her study of the books. “I knew you’d get to me by the end of the night.”

“And were you looking forward to the moment, Signorina?”

“With baited breath. So, should we use one of the bedrooms her or go back to your place?”

A shocked silence descended.

Kim peeked over her shoulder. A mixture of disappointment and temptation carved out his features. Kim bet he missed the idea of a chase but didn’t want to turn down such an offer. A delighted laugh bubbled to her lips at his obvious conflict and saddens loss of confidence.

A knowing light gleamed in his dark eyes. “You are teasing, no?’

She turned to face him, still laughing. “I guess I am.”

He shook his head with amusement. “You are a wicked woman to tempt a man like that.”

“You are a wicked man to think a woman would do such a thing.”

“Perhaps you are right. A woman like you should have a husband watching at all times. Such a treasure could be stolen at any moment.”

“Ah, but if I were a true treasure, I wouldn’t be stolen easily. Certainly not by the first line thrown at me.”

He pretended offence. “Signorina, I would never insult you by thinking it would not be a long treasure hunt. You’d require a lot of work.”

“Signora.” She corrected. “ I am married.”

His face pulled into a low, sad look. “Pity.”

“Somehow, I think you knew.”

“Perhaps. But let me introduce myself formaly, I am Count Matteo Guidicelli.”

“Kim Ch—i--, Kimberly Anderson.”

He caught her slip-up and seemed to make a mental note. “Newly married, yes?”

“Yes.”

“yet you wander the hallways alone and were not seen in the company of your husband all night.” He shook his head. “These America ways are tragic.”

“My husband is here on business.”

“Gerald Anderson, correct?”

She nodded. “You should know him well. He’s making a pitch for the waterfront deal.”

Matteo keep his face neutral. Obviously, behind his charming façade lurked a sharp businessman, and she bet he knew her identity when he approached. Gerald underestimated Guidicelli if he believed a conversation would soften him. This man obviously kept business and pleasure in two separate worlds.

“I have not had the pleasure of meeting him as of yet.” He leaned in ever so slightly. His musky cologne rose in the air between them. His eyes met and held her own. She waited for a blast of ual energy, a hum of chemistry, a note of hunger to shake her body and confirm Gerald Anderson wasn’t the cause of her problems.

Nothing. Not even a spark.

With a tiny inward sigh, she resigned herself to battling her attraction for Gerald and admitted maybe she still harbored a crush from her girlhood days. If Matteo Guidicelli couldn’t stir a shred of ual emotion, she was in deep trouble.

Kim sighed. “I think you will love my husband as much as I do.” She said.

He received her message and accepted the implication with grace. “We shall see. As for us, we will be friends, no?”

She smiled. “Yes. Friends.”

“I will accompany you back to the dining room for a cordial and you will tell me all about yourself.”

She accepted his arm and allowed herself to be led out of the library. “You know, Matteo, I think I have the perfect woman for you. She’s a close friend of mine. And she may be your match.’

“You underestimate yourself, signora.” He gave a naughty wink. “I am still grieving your loss.”

She laughed as they entered the dining room, then looked upp in surprise whe her husband stepped in front of them. He towered over her with an intimidating air. She opened to speak, but he reached out and pulled her into his embrace. A moment passed before she was able to form the words. “Hello, darling. I was chatting with Signore Guidicelli. I don’t think you two have formally met yet?”

The men sized each other up like they would just before a cockfight. Gerald was the first to surrender. Probably for good business reasons and not anything to do with testosterone.

Gerald offered his hand. “Matteo, how are you? I see you’ve met my wife.”

Matteo shook his hand and Kim studied her husband’s expression with sheer puzzlement. Was she crazy, or did her not want her to engage Matteo Guidicelli with her sparkling conversation? Hadn’t he hinted he wanted inside information if all possible? Now he just looked plain irritated, as if she half betrayed him.

The clean scent of soap and lemon rose from his skin. His fingers splayed around her waist and rested on the curve of her tummy. She fought a shudder when she imagined his hand coasting just a few inches downward. How would it feel to have his fingers deep inside her, taking her to places she ached to go but was too afraid to visit?

She refocused on their conversation.

“Congratulations, Gerald. Kim tells me you are newlyweds. How difficult it must be to drag yourself to a business function, no?”

“Absolutely.” His head lowered. Her breath hitched as his lips grazed her lobe, and his nose nuzzled her ear. Her s grew hard and tingly. She prayed her padded bra hid the evidence of her body’s betrayal.

Matteo watched the gesture with barely hidden amusement. “It seems Rayver thinks you are the perfect man for the job. Perhaps we can set up a meeting to go over your ideas.”

“Thank you. I’ll call your secretary and arrange an appointment.” She caught the clear-cut simplicity in his tone and knew Matteo noticed. Gerald didn’t play certain business games, namely being too arrogant to pick up the phone himself to call for an appointment.

“Very good.” Matteo took her hand and placed a kiss on her palm. “It was lovely to meet you, Kimberly.” His Italian accent caressed her name. “I’m having a dinner party for a few close friends two weeks from tonight. Would you join me?”

She noted he directed his invitation to her so she turned tyo her husband. “Darling? Are we free?”

This time, his movement wasn’t subtle. He took a step behind her and wrapped both hands around her waist, drawing her back against him. Her pressed against his groin. Iron thighs trapped hers. He rested both hands directly under her and spoke. “We’d love to come.”

“Wonderful. I look forward to seeing you. Eight o’clock.” He nodded to Gerald and directed a smile toward her. “Have a good evening.”

Within minutes of Matteo leaving, Gerald released her. The sudden loss of his body caused a chill to run down her spine. His face lost the look of a lover and turned impersonal. “Let’s go.”

Without another word, he strode toward the door, getting the coats from his hostess and saying his good-byes. She spoke to the few friends she had made and followed her husband to the car.

The lack of conversation continued during the drive home. Sick of the silent game, Kim made the first move. “Did you have a good time?”

He grunted.

Kim took that as a yes. “The food was really good, huh? And I was surprised at how some of the women were. I was invited to an art opening for Millie Dryer. Isn’t that great?”

He snorted.

“How did business go? Were you successful tonight?”

He made another weird noise. “Not as successful as you, I guess.”

Anger surged though her blood. Her voice strained with tension. “Excuse me?”

“Never mind.”

Her fists clenched. The chill left her body and twisted into a fiery heat. “You’re a hypocrite and a jerk. You asked me to seek Matteo out and bring you back information. Do you think I’m stupid, Gerald? You used me, but now you’re pissed off. I did everything you wanted. Consider your favor completed.”

“I only suggested you may be able to pick up something to help me with my business. I asked you to soften him up, not give him a hard-on that’ll last for days.”

He swung the car into the drive with a squeal of tires and cut the engine.

She in her breath. “Screw you, Gerald Anderson! He treated me with courtesy and never crossed the line once he found out I was married. But you’re missing the big picture, Pretty Boy. Matteo doesn’t let business interfere with pleasure. I could’ve stripped off all my clothes and begged him to give you the contract and he wouldn’t have budged. I can’t help you with this one-you’re on your own.”

She got out of the car and stalked toward the house.

He cursed and trotted at her heels. “Fine. Then we don’t have to go to his party. I’ll just set-up a business meeting.’

She opened the door and tossed her head. “So, don’t go. But I will.”

“What?”

“I’m going. I liked him and I think his party will be fun.”

Gerald slammed the door, marched into the living room, and ripped off his tie. “You are my wife. You will not be going to any parties without me.”

She wiggled out of her coat and hung it in the closet. “I’m a business partner who follows the rules. We’re free to have our own lives as long as we don’t sleep with anyone. Correct?”

He closed the distance between them and glared down at her. “I’m concerned about my reputation. I don’t want him to get any wrong impression.’

She lifted her chin and deliberately taunted him. “I’ll follow the rules of our deal but I’m going to Matteo’s party. It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a man’s company. A man who is actually charming and funny and….warm.”

Her last word exploded in the air between them. She watched in fascination as the calm man she knew turned into someone different. His clear eyes turned hazy, his jaw clenched, his body locked. His hands lifted until they grasped her upper arms. He looked like he was ready to shake her or do something else, something completely….irrational.

Her body lit up like an electrical current, her lips parted to take in breath. And she waited.

“Do you need someone that badly, Kim?” His mocking ton raked over her. He lowered his head so his mouth stopped inches from hers. With slow purpose, his hands moved from her arms and upward to circle her neck. Linking his fingers around the sensitive flesh, his thumbs tipped her head up, so her clearly spotted the wildly beating pulse her dress didn’t hide. He watched her face while he continued the torture by tracing the line of her collarbone, the slope of her shoulders. Then moved lower. Both palms slid down her front and cupped her in his hands. Excitement danced over her nerves endings. Her muscles softened and grew weak. Her swelled and ached, rising rose from deep in . He made a low murmur of satisfaction   as he continued the ,,, teasing motions. She felt him harden, rise and press against the sensitive apex between her thighs. Liquid warmth rushed through her.

“Maybe I should give you what you need so badly” He his hips against hers to give her a taste, and she shook in response. His hands slipped under her dress, under her bra and met warm, willing flesh. “Maybe if I took you now, you wouldn’t need to go running to Guidicelli.” Her tummy plunged as those talented fingers plucked at her s and her, his motions gentle and tender even as his words stung.

She trembled before him, a bundling mass of emotion and sensation, but her mind stayed icy clear. The truth of his actions forced her to play out her hand to win. Letting him win this battle would weaken her. He was going to kiss her. Right here, right now. He’d give her so much pleasure she’d beg for more, and he would leave her pride and sanity shredded. He wanted to kiss her for one reason – his power and manhood had been threatened, and he wanted them back. He didn’t want her. The wild call of mating and male dominance beckoned him, and she was stuck in his path.

She moved even closer and let her lips rest a bare inch from His breath rushed over .

“No, thank you,” she whispered. She pulled his hands off of her. “I prefer we stick to business. Good night.”

She turned her back on him and disappeared up the stairs.

 

                                                                 …….......................

 

Gerald’s hand hung at his sides, empty. For one moment, he’d been filled with her: her curves, her scent, her heat. Now he stood in the middle of the room alone, just like he had on their wedding night. A married man with a hard-on and no relief in sight. Amazed at his ridiculous predicament, he tried to go over the events of the evening And see where he’d gone wrong.

The moment he caught her with Guidicelli, a slow, steaming anger had risen up within him. The heat started at his feet, traveled to his stomach, his chest, and finally settled like a hot hand around his head.

Her hand had rested on the count’s arm. He must’ve been quite amusing, because she threw her head back and laughed her cheeks flushed and rosy. Her full lips had gleamed under the chandelier light. They’d acted like they were longtime friends instead of people who just met.

But the worst was when she smiled at him.

It was a dazzling, bewitching, come-hither smile that told the man on the receiving end he was everything she was looking for, everything she wanted. A smile that gave a man nasty dreams at night and haunted his waking hours. Gerald had never seen that smile directed at him and something crazy exploded inside him.

His plan had misfired. He’d expected her to be mildly entertaining to the count and gain a few tidbits of knowledge to help close the deal. Not actually enjoy the man so openly.

Gerald cursed and picked up his tie, ready to go to bed. As he climbed the stairs, he thought about what Kim had said. If Guidicelli did separate business and pleasure, he’d played the scene all wrong. Maybe when he requested a business meeting he’d concentrate on the rational logistic of the building rather than point an emotional landscape for the sale. Maybe Guidicelli was only passionate when it came to women. Maybe he wanted a cool-headed executive to head the architectural team.

Gerald stopped at her door. The light was off. He paused for a moment and listened for her breathing. He wondered what she wore to bed. Images of scanty black lace wreaked havoc with his mind, but even the thought of her in flannel pants and a copped T-shirts did things to him no other woman had ever accomplished. Was she lying awake in bed, dreaming of Guidicelli? Or was she thinking about their last kiss and wanting more?

He walked to his own room. She’d rejected him. Her own damn husband. And he was stuck with one thing he’d been horrified of.

A wife he was attracted to.

He shut his bedroom door and forced the thought out of his mind.