Chapter Twenty One - FINAL CHAPTER

Business Deal

Chapter Twenty One

 

Kim groaned and set the plate on top of her huge belly. Her obvious disgust with the ability to suddenly balance large objects on her body made Maja press her lips together in a desperate effort to smother a laugh. Her best friend’s frown deepened.

“Shut up, Maja. I’m miserable. Why won’t she come? Almost two weeks late and the doctor keep telling me to be patient. I want her out. O-U-T, out.”

Maja grabbed the dish – scraped clean of cake – and handed her a glass of milk. The sight of her friend’s discomfort lured her to fix it, but the only thing left at this stage was dessert and foot rubs. She’d even tried to buy Kim hot pink flip-flops with rhinestones, but the space between her toes was nonexistent. She clucked in sympathy and perched on the arm of the slate gray sofa. “I know, babe. It i bet in a day or two you’ll be holding her in your arms and wishing you had more time to sleep. I hear they cry day and night.”

Kim wiggled her swollen feet and sighed. “I don’t sleep anyway.”

“Poor baby. I got her a present.” Maja scooped up the gift bag and swung it in front of her. “Straight from Milan, from one of the top baby designers.”
 

“You gotta stop buying her stuff, Maja. Her closet is already bigger than mine.”

“Good, then I’m doing my job.” Maja watched her friend part the tissue and remove the black jeans, hot pink T-shirt, and matching leather jacket. The tiny leather boots were studded with miniature pink diamonds. “Do you like it?’

“Oh, my God, how cool! I cannot believe you found something like this in a baby size!”

Pleasure shot through Maja. “My goddaughter won’t take any crap from the other kids in the playground. We’ll start her off early being bad to the bone.”

Kim laughed. “Ge, get over here and see what your sister brought.”

Her brother walked in from the kitchen and picked up the outfit. A look of sheer horror crossed his face. “Hell, no. My daughter will not be wearing biker gear straight from the womb.”

Kim’s eyes shot sparks of fury. “You will not insult your sister, or her lovely gift. I think it would be a perfect homecoming outfit to put her in.”

Maja settled back for the show. Her usually laid-back friend now had mood swings that scared even her. Hormones were a hell of a thing, but her brother seemed to handle it with aplomb – in fact, Maja caught a twinkle of amusement at his wife’s challenge. The back and forth battles between them reminded her of their childhood rivalry. Who would have thought they were each other’s soul-mates the whole time? If fate hadn’t stepped in with a forced marriage, maybe they would’ve never gotten together. Of course, Kim still insisted it was that ridiculous love spell, but Maja just let her believe it. No harm.

“Over my dead body.” He tossed back with a casual air. “She wears the little ducky thing we agreed on last week.”

Kim stuck out her bottom lip in sheer defiance. “If I’m pushing her out, I’m the one who’s going to pick the clothes.’

“Hmm, seems I hear this a few times per day. If I could have the baby for you, you know I would.”

Kim bristled. “Liar. All men say stuff like that.”

Her brother threw up his hands in mock surrender. “Is there anyone who will stand up for me and my intentions? Someone preferably with testosterone?’

As if the Zeus himself threw down his thunder-bolt, footsteps echoed down the hallway, past the kitchen, and stopped right behind them.

Slowly, Maja turned her head.

“Ah, cara, this time I think Gerald means it. What man would not take the pain for his woman?”

Her skin prickled in warning and... something else, something she refused to name. Count Matteo Guidicelli closed the distance and clapped Gerald on the shoulder. She tried not to roll her eyes at the smooth gesture, or his trademark smile. The comfortable look shared between them was purely male – one man rescuing another from a crazy woman. Not that Gerald needed much help. Already, he reached out to help his wife out of the chair, murmuring some comforting nonsense, and smoothing her blouse over her swollen belly.  The sheer tenderness of the gesture and the look on his face lashed at her like the slice of a whip. The old Gerald was truly gone. In his place stood a man filled with love for his wife and unborn baby. A changed person, because he’d finally allowed himself to believe one other person in the world could love him for who he was, flaws and all.

Emotion clogged , and Maja fought the tide back with practiced ease. God, where was this ridiculous envy coming from? Gerald and Kim deserved all the happiness in the world. She needed to get it together.

“Why does it seem wherever there is trouble, you are right in the middle, no?’

The lilting Italian accent her ears and others places but Maja refused to answer the mocking question. Why the hell was he even here? Their normal Friday get together with Kim’s family was tradition, and one Maja looked forward to. Pizza, pasta, and Chianti. The host’s house changed every week, but it was something important to her - a staple in her crazy life she clung to.

Until Matteo Guidicelli barged in.

Suddenly, he appeared every Friday night, with a cannoli cake and array of pastries as indulgent as his come-hither, black-as-ink eyes. He acted as if their date had never happened, and that he was innocent.

Maja knew the truth.

The man was in love with her best friend.

Oh, he tried to hide t. But she saw the sweet glances he threw at Kim. Heard his Italian endearments and rich laughter at pretty much anything she said. Frustration nipped at her nerves. No one ever suspected, especially her brother. He got over his once well placed jealousy and opened his house to their new friend. Somehow, falling in love with Kim made him believe again in people’s good qualities.

Luckily, Maja wasn’t as blind.

Gerald shot her a look of warning. “Maja was always the hellcat in the family.” His lips tugged in a grin. “I remember when Mom came home one night with one of her new boyfriends. He was drunk and mean.”

Kim frowned. “Please tell me no one got hurt.’

“Only him. He liked to smack me around sometimes and Maja was worried he’ll slip into my room after Mom went to sleep. So she rigged a trap for him. Sure enough, one night he opened my door.’

“What happened?’ Kim asked.

“His foot hit the trip rope, a wet mop flew through the air, and he fell down on his . Woke us up, and we both made a big ruckus, big enough for Mom to throw him out.”

Maja laughed it off and cut a hand through the air. “No biggie. I was bored and looking for a bit of entertainment.”

Matteo stared at her, one brow lifted as if trying to figure her out. Her skin warmed, and then heated to a sizzle. Oh, hell, no.

She wouldn’t let him get into her head again. Once was enough.

“Well, i think we’ve had enough excitement today, I better get going.” She said.

Kim sighed. “Yeah, I better get to bed. Or at least put my feet up and watch trashy TV until the acid reflux hits.”

She froze. fell open and a weird squeak chirped from her lips. “Oh, my God. I’m wet.’

Gerald looked down. “Babe, you spilled your milk. No biggie. I’ll get you another one.”

The realization of Kim’s expression hit Maja full force. Her heart beat faster. “It’s not milk, Ge.’

“Oh.” He glanced back and forth between them with a confused expression on his face. “What was it?’

Kim’s voice came out high. “It’s time.”

“Time for what?”

Maja let out an impatient screech. “Time for the baby, you idiot! Her water broke! The baby’s coming.”

Lake in a bad sitcom, everyone stood stock still, as Kim panted in anxiety with a wet splotch over her pants. Then the room exploded.

Maja and Kim watched in astonishment as the men scurried around like Chicken Little had just declared the sky was falling.

Gerald raced to the bedroom and came downstairs with the overnight bag already packed, then grabbed bottles of water from the kitchen, and blankets as if they’d deliver the baby on the way there. Matteo punched numbers on his cell phone and told Kim’s mom to get to the hospital. Gerald tossed Matteo the keys to start the car, like it was a blizzard and he didn’t think the car’s engine would turn over, even though it was a frickin’ BMW. Matteo disappeared, and Gerald tore down the hallway, slamming the door to the garage behind him.

Maja looked at her best friend. “What the hell are they thinking? It’s not the fifties. You’ll be in labor for a while.”

Kim smiled and rubbed her back. “When they’re excited the blood kind of leaves their brains for a while. It’s not their fault.”

“I guess. Do you want to change your pants before you go to the hospital?’

“Good idea. I’ll be right back. Stay here so Gerald doesn’t go nuts when he comes back.”

“Okay.”

Maja begin cleaning up the leftovers from the table, then watched as her brother skidded back down the hallway, eyes wild. “Can you feed Old Yeller and walk him? I just called the doctor and told her we’re on the way. Thanks, Maja, see you at the hospital.”

He grabbed the bag and shut the door behind him.

Maja stared at the closed door and slugged back the last sip of wine, wondering when he’d notice his wife wasn’t in the car with him.

A few second later, Kim trudged back down the hall in yoga pants and a t-shirt. “Where’s Gerald?’

“He left.”

Kim muttered something under her breath. “Are you kidding me?’ I’m in an I Love Lucy rerun! Remember when Ricky went to the hospital and left her behind?’

“Oh, God, I loved that episode. How about the one with the chocolate?’

Kim laughed. “Yes! She keeps popping the candies in because she couldn’t wrap them fast enough. You gotta love Lucy.”

“Definitely.”

The door flung open. Gerald and Matteo rushed in, looking frantically around like they lost something important. Like a wife in labor. “What are you doing?” Gerald yelled. “I thought you were in the car.”

Kim smiled. “I had to change, and then we were talking about the I Love Lucy episodes. Don’t yell at me or I’ll have Maja take me to the hospital in a separate car.”

Gerald’s mouth fell open. “I don’t want to talk about I Love Lucy! The baby’s coming – let’s get out of here.” As if realizing he was losing it in from of his pregnant wife. Gerald dragged in a breath and spoke calmer. “I’m sorry, sweetheart. I’m freaking out. Are you ready?”

A smile bloomed over Kim’s face. “yes.” She leaned over and gave Maja a hug and a kiss. For one moment, their gazes met, and something deep and female and eternal passed between them. “the baby’s coming.” Kim’s whispered in excitement.

Maja blinked back sudden tears and squeezed her hands.”Knock’em dead, babe. I’ll be there in a few.”

“Love you.”

“Back atcha.”

“Kim! We need to go. Now!”

Kim waddled away. Their voices rose and fell in one of their ridiculous arguments, and then the house filled with silence.

The baby was coming.