Chapter Twelve

Business Deal

Chapter Twelve

 

Two weeks later, Gerald wondered if all power was lost once a man had with a woman.

His last presentation with Guidicelli assured him a decision would be final by the first of the year. He squirmed the whole damn time he spoke with the man, who immediately asked how Kim was, but thought he handled the situation well. The investors had whittled it down to Gerald and Bjarke Ingels – a big company housed in Manhattan. He had one big conference to unveil his final model and design before Christmas. Thank God Deam-Ers backed him hard, because they neared the final battle. Unfortunately, Gerald had no clue which way the count swayed and it made him nervous as hell.

He longed to come home and linger over a warm, hearty supper, watch the Giants game, and crawl into bed with his wife. With full intentions of not sleeping. As he threw the door open, stomped off the lingering snow from his shoes and walked in, he was wondering how fast he could eat, get the score, and then move on the important part when he stepped in a pile of dog .

He roared in outrage and lifted his shoe. Italian hand-stitched leather now stained a darker brown than intended. His beautiful wooden floors smeared. The stench of waste instead of cooking. He was going to kill her.

“Kim!”

She rushed in from the kitchen, flushed from either guilt or shame, then stopped short. A long skinny shadow lurked behind her, Gerald’s eyes narrowed as he took in the mangy hound dog that has haunted his dreams. And decided, or no , this woman was no longer in control.

“He goes. Now.”

“But-“

“I mean it, Kim. For God’s sakes, I want that dog out of my house. Look what he just did.”

She disappeared, and then proceeded to clean up the mess with a garbage bag and a wad of paper towels. He carefully slipped his shoe off and stepped around the pile while he watched her dive into the task and her explanation with equal fervor.

“Just listen for a second. I realize we can’t keep him – I won’t even try to convince you – but the shelter called and told me his time was up and he’d be put to sleep today. I don’t know why nobody wants him – he’s a lovely dog – and if we keep him for a day or two I promise I can find a home.”

The shadow hovered by the kitchen, yellow eyes reflecting no emotion as the canine awaited the verdict. Gerald made a growl of disgust. “Nobody wants him because he’s the ugliest dog I’ve ever seen. He could be dangerous.”

She gasped. “He’s very sweet, doesn’t even know how to growl. The shelter told me they found him on a deserted road with a broken leg. He was probably thrown from a moving car.”

.

“I know he’s messy, but I think he’s smart and no one ever trained him. I’ll keep him in the back room and clean up and I promise he’ll be out in a few days. Please, Gerald? Just give me a couple of days.

Irritated with her plea and his reaction, he took off his other show and walked over to the mutt. As if in challenge, he stood before him and waited for any sign of violence or street breeding for a excuse to throw him out.

Instead, her get nothing. No wag of the tail, no dropping of the head, no growl. Just.....nothing...from a pair of vacant yellow eyes.

A chill raced down his spine and he turned from the dog, determined not to be affected. “Just a few days. I mean it.”

She looked so relieved ad grateful he began to wonde4 if he actually did have some power. Then decided to press his advantage. “Have you cooked dinner?’

“Almost ready. Salmon steaks with fresh vegetables and rice pilaf. The wine is chilling. Salad is done. You’ll have plenty of time to see the Giants game.”

He cocked his head, impressed with her full knowledge of what a man likes to get back when he gives in. He took the test a step further. “Think I’ll take a shower first before dinner.”

“I’ll bring a glass of wine up for you, then. You can eat in front of the television.”

“Maybe I will.”

She rushed to take his jacket and usher him upstairs. Gerald decided a few days with a dog would be worth her gratitude. With that pleasurable thought, he stepped into his bedroom and shed his clothes.