Chapter Eighteen

Business Deal

 

Chapter Eighteen

Gerald stared at his wife. “I don’t want this baby.’

The crumbling wall of ice suddenly regenerated and slammed back in full force. The only emotions that seeped through the cracks were resentment and bitterness. Oh, she was good. He’d fallen hard for her act and now he’d pay.

She blinked. Shook her head. “Okay. You don’t want the baby. I understand you’re scared, but maybe with some time, your feelings will change.”

The words Cindy had spoken months ago taunted him. His father’s same promise echoed in his head. He’d been warned. Kim would use any means possible to trap him, but he hadn’t believed it. He’d fallen for her innocence and ended up falling for her.

He’d clearly warned her from the beginning and stupidly believed she’d respect him enough not to try and trap him.

And now she loved him.

He almost choked on a bitter laugh. Since the moment he had discovered those loan papers and met ith his father, doubt battled with his need to believe in her. So, he’d let the matter go and decided to trust her. To trust she’d tell him the truth about what she used the money for on her own.

But now she revealed her deceit, with her glowing face and eyes filled with triumph.

A baby.

She was having his baby.

The rage swirled up and encompassed him in a black, buzzing cloud. “What’s the matter, Kim? Wasn’t the one hundred fifty grand enough for you? Or did you get a little hungrier along the way?’

He saw pain transform her face but now he knew the ruse and knew it well.  Her voice wobbled when she spoke. “What are you talking about?”

“Game’s up. You’re a smart girl. The end of the contract is looming. Hell, we’re already at five months. You weren’t sure what would happen, so you had a little accident to cement the deal. Trouble is, I don’t want the baby. So, you’re right back to square one.”

She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around her stomach. “Is that what you believe?” she took a ragged breath and her body shuddered. “You believed I did this on purpose to trap you?”

“Why else would you tell me you’re on the pill so I’d stop wearing condoms? You admitted you wanted money from the beginning, then conned me by pretending to be independent. Kept me off balance.” He gave a humorless laugh. “Refusing the new car was smart. I bought that act good. But you were really holding out for the big time.”

“Oh my God.” She bent forward at the waist, as if in physical pain, but he stayed where he was and didn’t feel anything. Very slowly, she climbed out of the chair. The glow was gone. Her face reflected a ravaged grief that made him hesitate only a second. Then he hardened his heart and made himself face the truth about his wife.

She was a liar. She’d use an innocent child to get what she wanted, and the only casualty would be the baby. He shuddered with revulsion at the way she still played the game, looking to be the victim.

She gripped the wall and stared with horror from across the room. “I never knew.” She said huskily. “I never knew this was what you really thought of me. I thought – “She took a deep breath and lifted her chin. “I guess it doesn’t matter what I thought, does it?”

She turned to leave and he flung his last words at her back.

“You made a big mistake, Kim.”

The she left.

The door shut. He stood in the kitchen for a long time until he heard the quiet patter of feet. Old Yeller sat beside him, his yellow eyes filled with a quiet knowledge that Kim was gone for good. He gave a low whimper. The house rang with an eerie silence. They were both alone again, but Gerald had no emotion to cry.

He was glad the dog grieved for both of them.