Carthago delenda est

Heart to Heart

San Josè, United States of America

After a whole week of rain and bad weather, the sky was clearing up and the dark clouds were leaving their place to the light ones.

San Josè was crowded with people who hung around in the streets of the city, filling it with vitality again. There weren't much people in the park; almost everyone had left to head towards the city center.

The gardens were almost empty, except for three girls who sat on a bench in the corner of the beaten bath.

Jiyoon distractedly eyed her phone display, hoping for a message to come. Her girlfriend had been ignoring her for a week, without even leaving a message or calling her.

The other two girls sat next to her, holding each other.

Gayoon had fallen asleep with her head leaned against Jihyun's lap and the latter was gently caressing her sandy hair with delicacy, trying not to awaken her.

Jiyoon gazed at them.

The way Gayoon sought for physical intimacy was one of the reasons why she had always rejected her. In the past she used to consider her a nuisance, but eventually she felt like Gayoon was the only person who truly understood her.

"I envy you..." - Jiyoon chuckled - "You are the only one who has the superpower to keep her peaceful..." - She said, hinting at the sleeping girl.

"I know what you are trying to say with this...” - Jihyun pouted -”...we are just friends. I am kind tired of repeating you that I don't like girls and that I won't ever like one, not even Gayoon..."

The dark-haired girl had a slight smirk on her face. - "Don't judge a thing 'till you know what's inside it... You'd be surprised about how it feels like" - She tantalized.

Jihyun playfully slapped her arm - "I don't really need to know... I guess I am just a girl who grew as a boring American teenager and who dreams about the prince charming instead of having adventures with the sleeping beauty..."

Jiyoon's mind flew back at the toughest memory she had.

A girl with a milky skin and a fair sandy hair, who looked at her in adoration, plunged into despair, and who tried to snatch a kiss from her lips, getting a cold reject. Just a few words that she could never forget: Babygirl, do you believe in love?

"Do you think that I wouldn't rather be a boring girl if I could? Don't you think that Gayoon would?"

Jihyun stuttered - "Ehi, you know I didn't mean it... your life , and I get it" - She said, reassuring her with a gentle caress on the arm - "But you were strong enough for that... I wasn't trained when my mother kicked me out of my house to get a job".

As she finished talking, her phone started ringing, and their gazes left.

"What... happened?" - Said an annoyed Gayoon who had gotten overthrown out of her comfortable shelter on Jihyun's lap.

Jiyoon chuckled a little bit - "Your prince charming had to answer a call, so she had to wake up the sleeping beauty" - She teased, leaving her a little bit confused.

The sandy-haired girl was about to reply when the third one came back from her call, a little bit worried.

"Skye called me... Hyuna got hospitalized because she had a fight in a restaurant" - Jihyun explained, addressing Jiyoon - "And you'd better come with me because the girl she had a fight with is Amber and I don't think you'll like the reasons why..."

Jiyoon thought over it a few seconds, as they started walking.

Amber wasn't supposed to be in the same restaurant as Hyuna. She shouldn't even have been in the city... the reason why she could have lied to her could only be one.

The same one why Hyuna would pick up a fight with her.

She knew that Hyuna was badly in love with her, and her protective instincts were caused by a serious amount of rage and anger.

"...Who?" - She asked.

Jihyun gave her a questioning look, surprised by the question. She was about to ask a further explanation, but Jiyoon anticipated her - "Who did Amber cheat me on with..."

The other one sighed, surrendering - "Minji..."

They had just passed the main entrance of the door when Jihyun pronounced the name, and Jiyoon got so angry that out of rush she bumped a person on her way, making his folder drop on the floor.

"Oh my... I am sorry" - She stuttered, bending to pick up the sheets.

He had hazel eyes and a light brown hair. His tall and slim body was dressed with a velvet jacket and his messy hair gave him a weird look yet he didn't seem so surly to take offense from Jiyoon's bump.

"Don't worry, I was late and I kinda didn't watch my way..." - He reassured her, taking back his papers.

"To be honest, I lost my way... I live in San Francisco but my sister got hospitalized here" - He explained - "Could you please let me know where the angelology department is?"

Jiyoon was about to tell him, when Jihyun walked in between them.

"I can explain you" - She smiled, writing a few lines and scribbles on a piece of paper and handing it to the man - "I live in the area, I know this hospital like the back of my hand... By the way, nice to meet you, I'm Jihyun..."

"...Daniel..." - He smiled, holding her hand.

When he left, Jiyoon nudged the other girl - "You wrote your number on it, didn't you" - She whispered, paying attention not to let hear the sandy-haired girl, who stood impassible behind them.

The short-haired girl felt mixed feelings. She wanted to hurry up and see Hyuna, but on the other hand she wanted to smash Jihyun's face.

She was going to make Gayoon suffer with it. Her fickleness gave the other girl false illusions, and she wasn't making any effort to make things clear between her, but it wasn't important right then.

Hyuna was.

They climbed the stairs and they got up to the second floor, where the Injury department was located.

Jiyoon walked at a fast pace through the nicely decorated ward, apologizing for the fast transit, and she headed to the room where they were told that Hyuna was, almost running towards the door.

She was about to reach it, when a blue-eyed girl sprang up in front of her.

Amber stood there, her sorry eyes pleading her to listen, and behind her was Minji, who watched silently the scene - "I know you are mad at me, but please listen to me..."

Jiyoon didn't even let her finish, and pushed the girl on the wall with strength.

"It's not about the cheat, you ..." - She hissed, caging her by the scruff - "Feel free to whoever you want starting from now, but don't touch Hyuna again, or I will crush your face with my fists... am I clear enough?"

She hated doing it, but no choice was given.

"Stop it!"

The short-haired girl got surprised by the sudden scream, coming from the girl who hadn't spoken until then.

Minji neared to her, pleading her to look at her - "I saw the same scene three years ago, Jiyoon, and you were the one who was being harassed... I never thought you could do this like she did to you..."

The hint at Hyejin made her unbind her girlfriend.

"I never thought you would let her do what she did either..." - Jiyoon wept - "I trusted you, and you lied to me... Both of you go away and leave me alone with Hyuna..."